Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #70411
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
cool, but what's wrong with the one jeff is selling?
fits great and provides the proper coverage i'd expect.
when riding off-road just pull it off.
what more can they come up with besides a tweak to this?
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe

cee baileys also has 2 great options
http://www.ceebaileys.com/suzuki/dr650z400ws.html
Old 10-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #70412
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
I bought two of those myself, they were on sale for $10 ea. recently and am happy with them...interestingly mine were made in Taiwan and are much better quality than a lot of the made in China stuff CG sells
I was in Wal-Mart and found a cigarette lighter plug in splitter for about $6.95

I took it home and cut the wires and had 2 female receptacles, one for DR & one for KTM.

They come with rubber caps not visible in the picture

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Car-Ou...itter/16553070

after I installed them, I used the male plug with it's red light to show power to confirm a connection and that it was off with the key.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 10:44 AM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #70413
Sammalamma
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I have one already, but some of you guys might be interested in this:

It seems like a decent deal.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/3333258139.html
"'Any bike's subframe is liable to crack with the extra weight of the luggage when travelling on corrugated dirt roads,' it said somewhere. Hmm, I thought... mental note: Strengthen subframe. Second mental note: Find out what subframe is." - Lois Pryce
Sammalamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #70414
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
This morning, I rode my DR650 to work. First time I've ridden it in about two weeks. It's been on the Battery Tender for the last few days too.

Soonafter I got on the road, I noticed the amber and red warning lights on my Vapor randomly blinking, as the tach bargraph would randomly jump around (setting off the shift lights, which I think I have set at 7300 and 7500 RPM). But the bike was running fine. I had my heated jacket on, but I've run that once before with no issues. I turned it off just to see, but no change... still acting odd. It kept doing this all the way to work.

I did notice when I pulled into work that it just didn't sound quite right at idle. I can't really say more than that, just that it was odd. Not rough either, just didn't sound like it usually sounds.

Any chance this could be an indicator of one of my plug wires or the coil going bad, especially since the Vapor's tach pickup is a wire wrapped around one of the plug wires.

My regulator and stator are both new within the last six months. The stator is ProCycle's high-output model.

Ideas?

Rob
I had a similar thing a couple years ago. Bad plug cap. Only one plug was firing! In your case you have more work to sort this out. Since you have both an aftermarket Reg/Rec and Stator ... Who knows?

Very tough to diagnose a bad stator. Seems swapping in a known good one is only sure thing. You can test the coil if you have a coil load tester. You can measure things on the Reg/Rec, not sure what or how. And don't neglect the Ignitor (pick up coil), as some have failed.
Hope its something simple, easy and cheap to fix! GOOD LUCK!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #70415
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I had a similar thing a couple years ago. Bad plug cap. Only one plug was firing! In your case you have more work to sort this out. Since you have both an aftermarket Reg/Rec and Stator ... Who knows?

Very tough to diagnose a bad stator. Seems swapping in a known good one is only sure thing. You can test the coil if you have a coil load tester. You can measure things on the Reg/Rec, not sure what or how. And don't neglect the Ignitor (pick up coil), as some have failed.
Hope its something simple, easy and cheap to fix! GOOD LUCK!
I'm pretty sure the regulator and stator are fine so I'm going to run with that assumption for now.

I don't have a coil load tester; is this something I can borrow from AutoZone or someplace? I'm guessing the plug wires are built into the coil and not separately replaceable. My FZ1 was like this, so when I had the same issue -- a bad plug cap, I ended up replacing both coils and all four plug wires via eBay ($35). Wondering if I shouldn't just pick up a used coil/wires from a late-model part-out. The bike is 16 years old, so this could be it.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #70416
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I'm pretty sure the regulator and stator are fine so I'm going to run with that assumption for now.

I don't have a coil load tester; is this something I can borrow from AutoZone or someplace? I'm guessing the plug wires are built into the coil and not separately replaceable. My FZ1 was like this, so when I had the same issue -- a bad plug cap, I ended up replacing both coils and all four plug wires via eBay ($35). Wondering if I shouldn't just pick up a used coil/wires from a late-model part-out. The bike is 16 years old, so this could be it.

Rob
If memory serves (not very well!) very few DR650 coils have out right failed. I'm betting on the cap or wire. With mine, it was just the cap. I re-used the original coil wire, jammed the plug cap spike thingy from new cap into the wire firmly, done.

One good test to do is to start your bike at night, get away from any external lights. At idle, look for any Blue sparks grounding onto the head or valve over. Very common when plug wires or cap is bad. Best!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #70417
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
been looking up wind screens. Im between the Cee-Bailys, Screens for bikes and the Laminar Lip. Im 6'2" and the weather is cooling down and thought it may be nice to have some added protection. Nobody in the area has a DR with any of these screens, so i was searching for some real world feedback on useful ness of these screens. I dont want to go huge since I seek lots of dirt, but just somthing that helps.

Thanks,

Greg
My bike came with a Cee Bailey, and I wouldn't recommend them. I'm 6'2", and this thing caused me nothing but headaches. Their windscreens are very thick plexi, so even with it bolted in four places, it kept bending and flexing the headlight shroud. This caused a lot of buffeting on my helmet as the air flow was constantly changing. Also, this thing was massive. It looked sort of like the head of an alien from the Alien movies. Hopefully, you can get some idea from the picture.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #70418
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
My bike came with a Cee Bailey, and I wouldn't recommend them. I'm 6'2", and this thing caused me nothing but headaches. Their windscreens are very thick plexi, so even with it bolted in four places, it kept bending and flexing the headlight shroud. This caused a lot of buffeting on my helmet as the air flow was constantly changing. Also, this thing was massive. It looked sort of like the head of an alien from the Alien movies. Hopefully, you can get some idea from the picture.
I'm partial to the windscreens on the other bikes in that picture.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #70419
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I'm partial to the windscreens on the other bikes in that picture.
I took it off the day I got back from that ride. It was the first time I had taken it out on the highway, and the windscreen flexing made it feel like I was being punched in the face over and over again. There's a bit more wind hitting my stomach and chest now, but it's all very smooth, constant air.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
Old 10-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #70420
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
...very few DR650 coils have out right failed.
A Japanese motorcycle coil failure is very rare for anything made in the last 25 years. Out of the last hundred or so coils local folks have brought to me to check out thinking they had failed only one was bad. The only bad one was screwed up because the guys dog had chewed the wire off.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #70421
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The only bad one was screwed up because the guys dog had chewed the wire off.
You'd think a large company like Suzuki would have thought of this obvious potential failure!

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #70422
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
been looking up wind screens. Im between the Cee-Bailys, Screens for bikes and the Laminar Lip. Im 6'2" and the weather is cooling down and thought it may be nice to have some added protection. Nobody in the area has a DR with any of these screens, so i was searching for some real world feedback on useful ness of these screens. I dont want to go huge since I seek lots of dirt, but just somthing that helps.

Thanks,

Greg
I'm pretty happy with the Laminar Lip. Enough coverage for the highway but small enough to leave on all of the time. I notice some breeze at neck height, perhaps just below & I'm 5'10". I have mine mounted pretty low on the cowling but there's room to mount it a couple of inches higher.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #70423
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,615
Quote:

Thanks,

Greg

I have the tombstone one that Procycle sells. I'm only 5'8" so it works well for me. I actually have mine down quite a bit. I don't know if you could raise it enough for someone 6'2", but I have about 4-5 inches down on the factory cowl so maybe.? I found if I raise it to try and keep the wind off my helmet it causes the wind to buff my helmet so bad I thought I was going to have shaken baby syndrom. Just keeping the wind and rain off my chest makes road riding so much better. Plus, it comes off quickly and I stuff it in a saddle bag when in the woods if I don't want it.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #70424
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
I'm pretty happy with the Laminar Lip. Enough coverage for the highway but small enough to leave on all of the time. I notice some breeze at neck height, perhaps just below & I'm 5'10". I have mine mounted pretty low on the cowling but there's room to mount it a couple of inches higher.

That windscreen actually looks really nice. It's rare that I've seen a screen on the DR650 that actually looks better than not having one at all. Is it really an appreciable difference in the amount of wind that hits you?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #70425
NewDR650seOwner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Laugh thanks VFR870. ADV RIDER has always got the answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
43mm
NewDR650seOwner is offline   Reply With Quote