Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #70426
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
My bike came with a Cee Bailey, and I wouldn't recommend them. I'm 6'2", and this thing caused me nothing but headaches. Their windscreens are very thick plexi, so even with it bolted in four places, it kept bending and flexing the headlight shroud. This caused a lot of buffeting on my helmet as the air flow was constantly changing. Also, this thing was massive. It looked sort of like the head of an alien from the Alien movies. Hopefully, you can get some idea from the picture.
I'm partial to the windscreens on the other bikes in that picture.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #70427
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I'm partial to the windscreens on the other bikes in that picture.
I took it off the day I got back from that ride. It was the first time I had taken it out on the highway, and the windscreen flexing made it feel like I was being punched in the face over and over again. There's a bit more wind hitting my stomach and chest now, but it's all very smooth, constant air.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #70428
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
...very few DR650 coils have out right failed.
A Japanese motorcycle coil failure is very rare for anything made in the last 25 years. Out of the last hundred or so coils local folks have brought to me to check out thinking they had failed only one was bad. The only bad one was screwed up because the guys dog had chewed the wire off.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #70429
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The only bad one was screwed up because the guys dog had chewed the wire off.
You'd think a large company like Suzuki would have thought of this obvious potential failure!

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #70430
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
been looking up wind screens. Im between the Cee-Bailys, Screens for bikes and the Laminar Lip. Im 6'2" and the weather is cooling down and thought it may be nice to have some added protection. Nobody in the area has a DR with any of these screens, so i was searching for some real world feedback on useful ness of these screens. I dont want to go huge since I seek lots of dirt, but just somthing that helps.

Thanks,

Greg
I'm pretty happy with the Laminar Lip. Enough coverage for the highway but small enough to leave on all of the time. I notice some breeze at neck height, perhaps just below & I'm 5'10". I have mine mounted pretty low on the cowling but there's room to mount it a couple of inches higher.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #70431
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,284
Quote:
been looking up wind screens. Im between the Cee-Bailys, Screens for bikes and the Laminar Lip. Im 6'2" and the weather is cooling down and thought it may be nice to have some added protection. Nobody in the area has a DR with any of these screens, so i was searching for some real world feedback on useful ness of these screens. I dont want to go huge since I seek lots of dirt, but just somthing that helps.

Thanks,

Greg

I have the tombstone one that Procycle sells. I'm only 5'8" so it works well for me. I actually have mine down quite a bit. I don't know if you could raise it enough for someone 6'2", but I have about 4-5 inches down on the factory cowl so maybe.? I found if I raise it to try and keep the wind off my helmet it causes the wind to buff my helmet so bad I thought I was going to have shaken baby syndrom. Just keeping the wind and rain off my chest makes road riding so much better. Plus, it comes off quickly and I stuff it in a saddle bag when in the woods if I don't want it.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #70432
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
I'm pretty happy with the Laminar Lip. Enough coverage for the highway but small enough to leave on all of the time. I notice some breeze at neck height, perhaps just below & I'm 5'10". I have mine mounted pretty low on the cowling but there's room to mount it a couple of inches higher.

That windscreen actually looks really nice. It's rare that I've seen a screen on the DR650 that actually looks better than not having one at all. Is it really an appreciable difference in the amount of wind that hits you?
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
Old 10-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #70433
NewDR650seOwner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Laugh thanks VFR870. ADV RIDER has always got the answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
43mm
NewDR650seOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #70434
velocity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I have a Maier quick mount screen that's mounted to the handlebar with two wing nuts. Its probably about 14" tall by 8" wide at the top. It came with the bike. Not too much buffeting, but its loud as hell. At 40 MPH it requires earplugs to go any distance.

I may begin to cut it down incrementally, as I just remounted it for the first time in over a year this weekend.

The DR is the 2nd most quiet bike I've owned because the wind is so smooth around the helmet, but long freeway stints would be so much more comfortable without having to lean into the wind
velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #70435
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I have the tombstone one that Procycle sells. I'm only 5'8" so it works well for me. I actually have mine down quite a bit. I don't know if you could raise it enough for someone 6'2", but I have about 4-5 inches down on the factory cowl so maybe.? I found if I raise it to try and keep the wind off my helmet it causes the wind to buff my helmet so bad I thought I was going to have shaken baby syndrom. Just keeping the wind and rain off my chest makes road riding so much better. Plus, it comes off quickly and I stuff it in a saddle bag when in the woods if I don't want it.
That is always the problem with windscreens. If you raise it a little to get some protection you direct the wind onto your chest. This causes abs and back fatigue. If you raise it enough to deflect the wind up off your chest you will get a lot of noise in your helmet. If you raise it further to reduce the noise you will get low frequency helmet buffeting - like being stooge-slapped constantly. If you rise if further to eliminate the buffeting you are either looking through the shield or it's screwing up the stability on the highway. If you have a serene cockpit without buffeting or noise then it's too hot at temps above 85F.

I'm using a Screens for Bikes shield on my DR. It is a nice compromise overall for my 5'11" height (tall torso). Not perfect, but OK. It directs about 1/4 of the blast on my upper torso / shoulders without dumping the blast on my helmet. I don't have to do ab crunches to ride, but my helmet is in somewhat clean air. I ride with a Shoei Neotech flip-front helmet and find it a nice acceptable compromise. When I tried riding with a 3/4 helmet that I use on my RT I found too much wind directed up off of my chest into my face. Too much wind circulating in my face at 70mph.

I like the Screens for Bikes shield. I do wish it were a little taller as-delivered in order to allow me to trim it to my choice, but otherwise it works fine. Ideally it would have some sort of rake angle adjustment as well.

YMMV. I do not want nor expect the DR to behave like my RT.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #70436
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
That windscreen actually looks really nice. It's rare that I've seen a screen on the DR650 that actually looks better than not having one at all. Is it really an appreciable difference in the amount of wind that hits you?
Yes, it's a huge difference. The wind on my torso is blocked up to around neck ht. I had some Maier screen previous, & that blocked it better, but was a serious PIA to install and the wind noise around my helmet was much worse, & it couldn't be used off pave.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #70437
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
been looking up wind screens. Im between the Cee-Bailys, Screens for bikes and the Laminar Lip. Im 6'2" and the weather is cooling down and thought it may be nice to have some added protection.
Greg
I am 6'5" and the Laminar lip does a good job of getting the air up and off my chest but under my helmet. I also had a Slipstream Spitfire on my DRZ that I liked a lot for what it did but hated how it looked. On the upside, it was easy on and off so when I was going to ride on the streets/higway I would throw it on, and if I were going to go slower, it would come of.

not my bike, just an image I found of the screen. Mine is clear not smoke too...

02 Suzuki DL1000 - 06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 06 DR650 - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #70438
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
[QUOTE=TinMan207;19892936] I also had a Slipstream Spitfire on my DRZ that I liked a lot for what it did but hated how it looked. On the upside, it was easy on and off so when I was going to ride on the streets/higway I would throw it on, and if I were going to go slower, it would come of.QUOTE]
Ditto on the Slipstreamer Spitfire. I have it on the DR650, like the way it looks, super simple easy on and off, and if it gets damaged it's $60 or so to replace. Don't know why, but I think it looks better on the DR than the the DRZ.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #70439
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
My bike came with a Cee Bailey, and I wouldn't recommend them. I'm 6'2", and this thing caused me nothing but headaches. Their windscreens are very thick plexi, so even with it bolted in four places, it kept bending and flexing the headlight shroud. This caused a lot of buffeting on my helmet as the air flow was constantly changing. Also, this thing was massive. It looked sort of like the head of an alien from the Alien movies.
Had the Cee Bailey on a DRZ and didn't like it either. Didn't work until I fabricated brackets to raise it and hold it more rigidly.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #70440
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
Had the Cee Bailey on a DRZ and didn't like it either. Didn't work until I fabricated brackets to raise it and hold it more rigidly.
And even if it worked perfectly, it's still ugly as sin. Warriors of ancient Rome used shields smaller than the Cee Bailey windscreen.