Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #70441
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
And even if it worked perfectly, it's still ugly as sin. Warriors of ancient Rome used shields smaller than the Cee Bailey windscreen.
i have no experience w/cee-bailey, but i do know they make more than one size of screen (smaller) than what was pictured a few posts back...

smaller screen:

http://www.ceebaileys.com/suzuki/dr650z400ws.html

doug s.

doug s. screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 08:10 PM Reason: pic of smaller screen
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #70442
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i have no experience w/cee-bailey, but i do know they make more than one size of screen (smaller) than what was pictured a few posts back...

smaller screen:

doug s.
True. I was just judging based on what I had experience with. I think the biggest problem was just how thick the plastic was. It made it extremely heavy, which exacerbated the flimsy mounting.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #70443
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #70444
Tyrepower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post

smaller screen:

doug s.
When I want to be out of the wind, rain, heat or cold I drive the car. When I want to enjoy the day I take the bike. If I want to cut out the whine and buffeting I leave the wife at home.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my bikes for what I "told her" they cost!!!

It's all good fun until someone gets hurt......... then it's hilarious!!!
Tyrepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 AM   #70445
buckrut1972
H.R. Nightmare

Oddometer: 110
Lowering rear brake lever

I'm right at 6'3" and have a center stand. I can't put lower foot pegs on it but have a handy neighbor that took over an 1" out of my stock ones. I can adjust the shifter no biggie but as a nOOb how do you lower (adjust) the rear break lever?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:32 AM   #70446
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrut1972 View Post
I'm right at 6'3" and have a center stand. I can't put lower foot pegs on it but have a handy neighbor that took over an 1" out of my stock ones. I can adjust the shifter no biggie but as a nOOb how do you lower (adjust) the rear break lever?
If you rotate the shaft which goes into the master cylinder, you can raise or lower the brake pedal. Make sure you loosen the locknut, and free up the rubber dust cover before you try to turn the shaft. If it's stuck to the shaft, you might damage it.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #70447
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,501
thanks for all the windscreen replies gang,.

greg
Old 10-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #70448
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
DR650 mileage

Mighty DR650 owners.... I'm in need of some pre-purchase advice or opinions!

I'm in the process of trading my fourwheeler for my first Thumper. I'm looking into a '08 DR650 with 8500 miles. I know that condition, care, and service are the important variables when assessing the mileage of a used bike... But what can you all tell me about 8500 miles on a '08 DR? What type of maintenance should have occurred at this point? Anything I should be concerned about? All I know thus far is that the bike looks clean and the owner says most mileage has been road/commuter... Not trail.

The price seems fair... $2700... All stock... No upgrades/mods/farkles... this is ok as I would enjoy setting it up to my preference anyway. It would be an almost even trade for what I'm asking out of my fourwheeler. I have my fourwheeler listed on the flea market in the "other" section (Yamaha Wolverine) if you care to check it.

Thanks folks... I'm hoping to go check out the DR this weekend.
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #70449
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
The price seems fair... $2700... All stock... No upgrades/mods/farkles... this is ok as I would enjoy setting it up to my preference anyway. It would be an almost even trade for what I'm asking out of my fourwheeler. I have my fourwheeler listed on the flea market in the "other" section (Yamaha Wolverine) if you care to check it.

Thanks folks... I'm hoping to go check out the DR this weekend.

That is outrageous! I can't believe he would even waste your time with such a high number for such an old bike with 8500 miles. I won't stand for this!!! Tell me exactly where the bike is and I'll make sure this villain comes to justice...
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #70450
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,028
Sounds like a good price ($2700).

I have the Screens for Bikes screen too. I had to cut mine down 2" (with the help of a fellow inmate) because of buffeting. I'm 5'8, and the 2" drop made all the difference. I want a Cee Baileys for my FZ1 (18" tall model), but from what I'm reading here, I'm wondering if I should bother. I like the wider nature of it for a bit more winter wind protection. I may end up with the Givi screen instead.

My Vapor weirdness problem has disappeared. Was fine on the ride home yesterday, and the ride back in this morning. Weird. Next time I have time, I'll pull things apart and check the plug caps, put dialectric grease on, etc.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #70451
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 928
Pissed Shocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
That is outrageous! I can't believe he would even waste your time with such a high number for such an old bike with 8500 miles. I won't stand for this!!! Tell me exactly where the bike is and I'll make sure this villain comes to justice...
+1!

Terrible!

What some people try to slip by the unwary and unknowing.
We must teach that seller a lesson.
Where is that listing anyway?
Craigslist?
Happen to have the phone number handy?

If you don't buy it, many of us will jump at the chance!
For current asking prices check out this site:
http://www.bikefinds.com/suzuki-dr650-for-sale

(wow! only 26 DR's listed today? less than half the usual)
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #70452
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Rob... Compared to other ads I've been checking out this seems to be an ok deal... plus the guy is willing to trade... That's a big plus.

Also... Tex... Thanks for the response... You'll have to forgive me but I can't tell if you're being serious or not... If serious maybe I need to check the used/for sale ads in Texas... Perhaps Texas is the honey hole for used Dual Sports!! In my region I'm seeing ads for bikes older than 2008 with 10,000+ miles for more than $3000... I wouldn't consider that a deal.

Any other opinions... 2008 stock DR 8,500 miles $2700... Deal or no deal???
Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #70453
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok... Ok... I'm starting to see that it's a fair deal!! Maybe I make a mistake by asking!!! Hold off on searching it out for a few days... You all might be +1 in the DR club by the end of the weekend! If you steal the deal I may be forced to apply for membership to the XRL club!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #70454
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Any other opinions... 2008 stock DR 8,500 miles $2700... Deal or no deal???
LOL, sorry man. I bought an '05 recently. 13k, IMS tank, Renazco seat, heated grips, an entire box of spare parts blah blah blah. I paid $2900 and drove to Memphis to get it. Couldnt be happier. Seems like a great deal, plus you get to farkelize it all yourself!! My advice? Don't stop at the red lights.
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #70455
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Ok... Ok... I'm starting to see that it's a fair deal!! Maybe I make a mistake by asking!!! Hold off on searching it out for a few days... You all might be +1 in the DR club by the end of the weekend! If you steal the deal I may be forced to apply for membership to the XRL club!
Nothing wrong with the XRL club, but I'd definitely grab that DR if it's still available. It being bone stock like that is actually really nice. No worrying about what mods the PO did to it, and it's much easier to get help from the forums when you have a well defined start point.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote