Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #70456
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,533
Sounds pretty good. The miles seem okay too. I bought an 02 with 5xxx miles for 2500 a few months back. It was bone stock, but he gave me an extra chain, sproket, tail bag, battery tender, brake shoes for the front and back and some oil. :)

greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Mighty DR650 owners.... I'm in need of some pre-purchase advice or opinions!

I'm in the process of trading my fourwheeler for my first Thumper. I'm looking into a '08 DR650 with 8500 miles. I know that condition, care, and service are the important variables when assessing the mileage of a used bike... But what can you all tell me about 8500 miles on a '08 DR? What type of maintenance should have occurred at this point? Anything I should be concerned about? All I know thus far is that the bike looks clean and the owner says most mileage has been road/commuter... Not trail.

The price seems fair... $2700... All stock... No upgrades/mods/farkles... this is ok as I would enjoy setting it up to my preference anyway. It would be an almost even trade for what I'm asking out of my fourwheeler. I have my fourwheeler listed on the flea market in the "other" section (Yamaha Wolverine) if you care to check it.

Thanks folks... I'm hoping to go check out the DR this weekend.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #70457
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
8,500 miles is barely broken in.

Quote:

I'm in the process of trading my fourwheeler for my first Thumper. I'm looking into a '08 DR650 with 8500 miles. I know that condition, care, and service are the important variables when assessing the mileage of a used bike... But what can you all tell me about 8500 miles on a '08 DR? What type of maintenance should have occurred at this point? Anything I should be concerned about? All I know thus far is that the bike looks clean and the owner says most mileage has been road/commuter... Not trail.

The price seems fair... $2700... All stock... No upgrades/mods/farkles... this is ok as I would enjoy setting it up to my preference anyway. It would be an almost even trade for what I'm asking out of my fourwheeler. I have my fourwheeler listed on the flea market in the "other" section (Yamaha Wolverine) if you care to check it.

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #70458
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Any other opinions... 2008 stock DR 8,500 miles $2700... Deal or no deal???

Lordy, yes!

I gave $3400 for my '08 with 4500 miles on it a year ago and drove plumb to Ohio to get it.

Sarah
Old 10-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #70459
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Excellent! Thanks everyone... I spoke to the owner and we've arranged a time to meet... As long as he likes the Wolverine and his DR is as described the deal will proceed. I'll let you all know how it goes... Thanks!!!
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #70460
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 775
Quote:

Paid $3500 for stock 08 w/600miles in 2010.
Now have 10K with zero issues.
Ask about oil change intervals (has he done any?) and make sure it's truly stock (nobody F'd with the carb?)
It's just about ready for valve clearance check.
Totally ready for modifications to make it YOUR bike, Procycle is your friend.
Hope you already picked it up cause it's a great deal and the vultures are circling

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #70461
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,183
That's a good deal. I picked up a 2009 a couple months ago with 2400 miles for $3500.00.

Quote:

Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #70462
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,061
I paid around $2200 for my '96 with 8600 miles on it two years ago. Was by far the best deal I could find at the time, especially since it had a BMS seat, FCR_MX carb, GSX-R 1000 exhaust, skid plate, highway pegs, OEM rack, and a few other goodies, all of which I wanted. Only real downside was the purple frame, but I don't really mind it. I'm at 24,000 miles now. It'll eventually get a 790 kit. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #70463
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
8,500 miles is barely broken in.
Not if it's 8500 miles I've put on the bike.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #70464
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
8,500 miles is broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Not if it's 8500 miles I've put on the bike.
Fixt
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #70465
Exartima
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR View Post
I noticed in the service manual that the Swiss/Austria versions of the DR have an ON/OFF switch for the headlights (on the right handlebar).

Anyone know where I can pick up one of these Euro-version switches? (I'm in the states)

I hate not being able to turn the lights off!
Check here http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr650-19...rh_3720032e00/
or google suzuki 37200-32E00
Exartima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #70466
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,061
Battery!

I had heard in this thread some time ago about Ballistic Batteries, the American-made alternative to the Shorai. The battery in my FZ1 was about dead, so I ordered one for it and it arrived today. WOW, very impressed. The new battery (8 cell) is maybe 1/4 the size of the stock battery (which isn't even as big as the DR650's battery) and weighs about 2 lbs, compared to almost 10 lbs for the stocker. Very, very slick.

I'm going to put one of these in my other bikes in the near future. They list the DR650 as taking an 8-cell too, but I looked at the specs, and a 12-cell will fit, so I'll go with one of those for extra capacity, especially given all the accessories that I run. My KLX is said to take a 4-cell, but the 8-cell is still smaller than its stock battery, so I'll do that for it.

Only downside I can see so far is that the Battery Bug doesn't work with these batteries. The first time I started the bike, the BB dropped to 0% life remaining and started beeping incessantly, thinking the battery was shot. I reset it and tried it again, same result, even though the battery was still showing 13.1V after the first start. Oh well.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #70467
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:

I'm looking into a '08 DR650 with 8500 miles. I know that condition, care, and service are the important variables when assessing the mileage of a used bike... But what can you all tell me about 8500 miles on a '08 DR? What type of maintenance should have occurred at this point? Anything I should be concerned about? All I know thus far is that the bike looks clean and the owner says most mileage has been road/commuter... Not trail.
I got my '08 with 800 miles on it in '09- basically a brand new bike.

It now has 52,500 miles, and is still going strong. Very reliable bike.

I'd jump on that '08 if I were you. 8,500 miles is a low mileage DR, especially a street ridden bike.

.............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #70468
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Your prices kill me. I paid $6k for a 2008 with 4,000km.

Prices here are ridiculous, here's a 2004 DR650 with 96,000km yes Ninety Six thousand for the princely sum of $5,000

http://www.teammoto.com.au/used_bike...tock_id=214091
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #70469
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I hit 41,242 miles on mine today (my goodness, how time flies), it's a great commuter. Well, except that I'm retired.

Ok, stop teasing Derek. To help, mark your throttle grip with a silver Sharpie; 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full. Now you'll know which circuit you're on when the trouble is happening (pilot, needle, main jet). There's no way to know what the PO did inside the carb. Take it off and apart, photo the needle with the clip and any spacers, tell us the main jet size, pilot jet size. If you have the white spacer, slide it down to show which notch you're on.

There's a bucket-load of info here: (from at KTM, don't get confused, there are small differences). All of these pics are from this link.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=bst40

Example photo of a needle with clip and spacers (still from a KTM,). No need for the labeling, we'll know what's what.

Although the DR doesn't usually have the following problems, yours runs like crap so we'll check everywhere.
The DR doesn't shake like a paint mixer (KTM LC4), you shouldn't find this (or any burnishing on the needle implying wear).

Look very closely at the needle jet for wear (top of the jet).

Needle jet, etc:

Got a date with it Saturday morning! Just me and the DR are gonna spend some quality time together and try to figure this thing out.
I have tried everything suggested here and nothing is getting me better results, the irony of it all is I stopped for gas today and filler the beast up and was getting 52.6 mpgs as bad as its running!
did the throttle tape mark thing and surging was present up to 3/4 throttle. Taped the airbox, removed tape, etc and what worked good one morning didn't that afternoon. dialed in the fuel/air finger screw and at 2 turns it works best but still surges everywhere except 3/4 throttle, the bike barely runs on anything but 2 turns. Sea Foam or StarTron didn't make a difference at all.
I also still have some strange vibrations and noises going on while accelerating in the upper gears doesn't do it when I pull in the clutch.
So we will see Saturday and if I can't figure it out I guess there will be a nice 03 DR for sale here next week because I really don't have the time or cash to tinker with it.
I do want to thank everyone with all the help and suggestions and especially Derek for putting up with all the questions.
I really hope I can get it sorted because I have had a blast riding it surging, noisy or not!
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #70470
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwilkins View Post
I love my DR650, had it since new and done loads of mods to improve it, except the brakes. How d'you make them stop better? The brakes on mine have always left me feeling pretty underwhelmed. I've got braided hoses and decent pads, but there's a fair bit of weight to haul up especially if loaded.
Any mods/comments
Pre 96 DR's have twin piston rear calipers and a 14mm master cylinder. That would have to be better the single piston caliper used on the later models??