Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #70576
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Okay, I can't find a satisfactory low fender for my DR650. All I can find are abbreviated fenders. Is there a low full-coverage fender out there for sale other than examples adapted with difficulty from other models?
KTM?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #70577
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,392
I would like someting that rides an inch or two more above the wheel than that.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:05 AM   #70578
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Eh? Why the rollings mounds of luggage with wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Some may have seen Colebatch's epic report on yet another Sibirsky Extreme Adventure. See it here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834987

Below I've borrowed a couple pics and text from the report of our DR member's first and last day on the ride.

Colebatch blames the bike ... but looks to me like 'ol Rick is about 30 years older than Colebatch! Might have something to do with it. What' ya think guys?

And was the "Hip" issue a pre existing condition? If so, then Rick made a error there.
But Cole is right about Rick's DR being "top heavy" ... actually, I'd call it simply overloaded. Whatever, shame he only made it ONE DAY in the dirt before crapping out.
He's let down all 10 million DR650 Riders/ Readers on this thread!

Check out the thread, some of the best stuff on the ADV.
Why would somebody load down a bike like that then try to take it into gnarly off-road situations? That seems way more dangerous and frustrating then fun.......honestly if thats the kind of trek a person wants to go on, why not just take a jeep or equivilant instead and strap a small dirt bike on the back?
I've done multi-day trips, but I just load the back-pack with the bare necessities, and keep the bike light and agile like it should be for that kind of riding. I'll admit I don't camp out on the bike tho.....I have no desire to load my bike down to the point of being unrideable, then trying to make a gnarly ass dirt trip
True Camping is what 4-wheel drives are for.....and they'll haul a dirt bike on back no prob. The best of both worlds imo
Old 10-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #70579
dobbo
dirt dog

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born-to-ride View Post
I would like to go with thicker fork oil for my front fork. Found out there is only 10 and 15 and nothing in between. Anyone tell me what mixture I should use to get 12??
Just mix them both together at equal amounts, that should be close enough (12.5) you won't tell the difference.

I always run 15wt with spacers and 0.46 springs, works great for me (makes sure you leave atleast a 110mm air space.
dobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #70580
Born-to-ride
GSXR!!!

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKul View Post
I think this is an improved version of the chart I was looking for listed by highest to lowest viscosity. I'm using the Torco 15wt with some .70 Race Tech springs and like it alot.
Link to the PDF and props to Peter Verdone's website for having this available on a Google search.
Thanks. Will give it a try
Born-to-ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #70581
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Hey... I made a few posts on here at the end of last week asking whether a DR I was considering buying was a good deal or not... Thanks to everyone who responded.

Post Weekend UPDATE: I didn't end up getting the DR... The seller backed out. He and I had discussed trading. I had a fourwheeler to offer but he preferred cash or to trade for a golfcart. Some of the responders seemed to think the DR was a good deal... 2008 8500miles $2750 (bet he'd take lower!)... So I wanted to share the link for anyone interested. Hope the DR finds a good home.
http://charleston.craigslist.org/mcy/3257150956.html

I did however pick up a 2002 XR650L on Sunday and am happy with the trade/purchase. So although I'm not in the DR club... I'm happy to finally have a Thumper and am ready to start riding!!
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #70582
McAdoo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
any info on R3?

Anyone come across this r3 doo-dad in the wiring loom at the rear of the tank?

Appears to be a 2K2 resistor, connects to the Green/ Blue wire from the CDI unit & a Red/ black wire that disappears into the main loom.

Can't find any info in the manual.
McAdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #70583
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I would like someting that rides an inch or two more above the wheel than that.

Picky picky. You will have to make your own I beileve.

That first fender pictured, if you flip it around backwards, might be the ticket.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #70584
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 575
What a limited "point of view" you have of life.

TraveGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Why would somebody load down a bike like that then try to take it into gnarly off-road situations? That seems way more dangerous and frustrating then fun.......honestly if thats the kind of trek a person wants to go on, why not just take a jeep or equivilant instead and strap a small dirt bike on the back?
I've done multi-day trips, but I just load the back-pack with the bare necessities, and keep the bike light and agile like it should be for that kind of riding. I'll admit I don't camp out on the bike tho.....I have no desire to load my bike down to the point of being unrideable, then trying to make a gnarly ass dirt trip
True Camping is what 4-wheel drives are for.....and they'll haul a dirt bike on back no prob. The best of both worlds imo
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #70585
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post

TraveGuy
It's a good thing that we don't all like the same thing, or we'd just spend our lives waiting in one giant line.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #70586
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post

TraveGuy
I guess I have a limited point of view also. Or maybe just different.
I have no intention of riding a motorcycle (street or dirt) loaded down like a pack mule. Kind of defeats the whole motorcycle experience for me. Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to carrying some gear and a few comforts but at some point it stops being fun for me -- which is why I ride a motorcycle. Different people have different ideas of fun.
That's all I am saying.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #70587
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
I guess I have a limited point of view also. Or maybe just different.
I have no intention of riding a motorcycle (street or dirt) loaded down like a pack mule. Kind of defeats the whole motorcycle experience for me. Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to carrying some gear and a few comforts but at some point it stops being fun for me -- which is why I ride a motorcycle. Different people have different ideas of fun.
That's all I am saying.
Don't plan on doing anything like the TAT then. When you live off your bike for 20-30 days you end up carrying some gear! My sponsers (Miss Mongle) said there wasn't enough in the budget for a chase vehicle to carry my shit! Would I have had more fun in certain parts if I wasn't carrying all that crap....you bet. But, I would leave again tomorrow loaded down to the bump stop if I could. To me the Adventure part of riding is doing stuff that isn't the "norm".

I will say that guy was carrying more stuff then I was...But, I knew I was going to be around civilization every couple of days if I wanted to. Out there you are kind of on your own.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #70588
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
UPDATE:

Well, yesterday I rebuilt the kill switch/starter harness and put it back on the bike. It would run but soon die. I was wiggling wires to find a bad place but nothing. It would just die when I wasnt touching anything. Then the headlight was dim (8 vdc) after dying and got brighter when the kill switch was pushed before fixing the harness the second time.

Took the kill switch harness back off today and checked the switches again. The switch contacts were cleaned up, removed the brass pin (momentary kill switch now) and put it back on. Thanks advrider (DisTech=fixed) for the photo lesson on how to fix the kill switch.

I will put some tape and plastic sheath on the observed wear spots and put it all back together.

Guess Ill put it together and go for a short ride around the neighborhood. If it dies on the road, Ill call someone for a ride home.

Dave
Found the link for the kill switch rebuild. DisTech had nice directions= post 117 in his DR rebuild page.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=415263&page=8

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #70589
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Don't plan on doing anything like the TAT then. When you live off your bike for 20-30 days you end up carrying some gear! My sponsers (Miss Mongle) said there wasn't enough in the budget for a chase vehicle to carry my shit! Would I have had more fun in certain parts if I wasn't carrying all that crap....you bet. But, I would leave again tomorrow loaded down to the bump stop if I could. To me the Adventure part of riding is doing stuff that isn't the "norm".

I will say that guy was carrying more stuff then I was...But, I knew I was going to be around civilization every couple of days if I wanted to. Out there you are kind of on your own.
--- Glad you enjoyed the "TAT"! 20-30 days (or longer) living off a motorcycle ain't my thing.
I hope that doesn't make me an outcast.

Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #70590
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAdoo View Post

Anyone come across this r3 doo-dad in the wiring loom at the rear of the tank?

Appears to be a 2K2 resistor, connects to the Green/ Blue wire from the CDI unit & a Red/ black wire that disappears into the main loom.

Can't find any info in the manual.
That is a diode pack which is part of the side stand/neutral switch interlock system.