ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #70576
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Georgetown, In / Costa Rica
Oddometer: 619
What a limited "point of view" you have of life.

TraveGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Why would somebody load down a bike like that then try to take it into gnarly off-road situations? That seems way more dangerous and frustrating then fun.......honestly if thats the kind of trek a person wants to go on, why not just take a jeep or equivilant instead and strap a small dirt bike on the back?
I've done multi-day trips, but I just load the back-pack with the bare necessities, and keep the bike light and agile like it should be for that kind of riding. I'll admit I don't camp out on the bike tho.....I have no desire to load my bike down to the point of being unrideable, then trying to make a gnarly ass dirt trip
True Camping is what 4-wheel drives are for.....and they'll haul a dirt bike on back no prob. The best of both worlds imo
__________________
TRAVELGUY
DL1000 '05 black
DL 650 '06 Red
DR650 '07
.
TRAVELGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #70577
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
What a limited "point of view" you have of life.

TraveGuy
It's a good thing that we don't all like the same thing, or we'd just spend our lives waiting in one giant line.
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #70578
Rumlover
Ed
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
What a limited "point of view" you have of life.

TraveGuy
I guess I have a limited point of view also. Or maybe just different.
I have no intention of riding a motorcycle (street or dirt) loaded down like a pack mule. Kind of defeats the whole motorcycle experience for me. Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to carrying some gear and a few comforts but at some point it stops being fun for me -- which is why I ride a motorcycle. Different people have different ideas of fun.
That's all I am saying.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #70579
Mongle
Knuckle dragger
 
Mongle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: North Carolina Y'all
Oddometer: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
I guess I have a limited point of view also. Or maybe just different.
I have no intention of riding a motorcycle (street or dirt) loaded down like a pack mule. Kind of defeats the whole motorcycle experience for me. Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to carrying some gear and a few comforts but at some point it stops being fun for me -- which is why I ride a motorcycle. Different people have different ideas of fun.
That's all I am saying.
Don't plan on doing anything like the TAT then. When you live off your bike for 20-30 days you end up carrying some gear! My sponsers (Miss Mongle) said there wasn't enough in the budget for a chase vehicle to carry my shit! Would I have had more fun in certain parts if I wasn't carrying all that crap....you bet. But, I would leave again tomorrow loaded down to the bump stop if I could. To me the Adventure part of riding is doing stuff that isn't the "norm".

I will say that guy was carrying more stuff then I was...But, I knew I was going to be around civilization every couple of days if I wanted to. Out there you are kind of on your own.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #70580
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer
 
smilin jack's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Lebanon Oregon
Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
UPDATE:

Well, yesterday I rebuilt the kill switch/starter harness and put it back on the bike. It would run but soon die. I was wiggling wires to find a bad place but nothing. It would just die when I wasnt touching anything. Then the headlight was dim (8 vdc) after dying and got brighter when the kill switch was pushed before fixing the harness the second time.

Took the kill switch harness back off today and checked the switches again. The switch contacts were cleaned up, removed the brass pin (momentary kill switch now) and put it back on. Thanks advrider (DisTech=fixed) for the photo lesson on how to fix the kill switch.

I will put some tape and plastic sheath on the observed wear spots and put it all back together.

Guess Ill put it together and go for a short ride around the neighborhood. If it dies on the road, Ill call someone for a ride home.

Dave
Found the link for the kill switch rebuild. DisTech had nice directions= post 117 in his DR rebuild page.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=415263&page=8

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #70581
Rumlover
Ed
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Don't plan on doing anything like the TAT then. When you live off your bike for 20-30 days you end up carrying some gear! My sponsers (Miss Mongle) said there wasn't enough in the budget for a chase vehicle to carry my shit! Would I have had more fun in certain parts if I wasn't carrying all that crap....you bet. But, I would leave again tomorrow loaded down to the bump stop if I could. To me the Adventure part of riding is doing stuff that isn't the "norm".

I will say that guy was carrying more stuff then I was...But, I knew I was going to be around civilization every couple of days if I wanted to. Out there you are kind of on your own.
--- Glad you enjoyed the "TAT"! 20-30 days (or longer) living off a motorcycle ain't my thing.
I hope that doesn't make me an outcast.

Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #70582
mrprez
KJ4WMZ
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, Al
Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAdoo View Post


Anyone come across this r3 doo-dad in the wiring loom at the rear of the tank?

Appears to be a 2K2 resistor, connects to the Green/ Blue wire from the CDI unit & a Red/ black wire that disappears into the main loom.

Can't find any info in the manual.
That is a diode pack which is part of the side stand/neutral switch interlock system.
__________________
Sent via morse code
..-. -.-- ..-. ..-.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #70583
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer
 
smilin jack's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Lebanon Oregon
Oddometer: 1,226
R3 Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAdoo View Post


Anyone come across this r3 doo-dad in the wiring loom at the rear of the tank?

Appears to be a 2K2 resistor, connects to the Green/ Blue wire from the CDI unit & a Red/ black wire that disappears into the main loom.

Can't find any info in the manual.
The symbol on the end of R3 is two diodes hooked back to back. Don't try running with it removed... it might fry something.

My bike has one also.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #70584
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Why would somebody load down a bike like that then try to take it into gnarly off-road situations? That seems way more dangerous and frustrating then fun.......honestly if thats the kind of trek a person wants to go on, why not just take a jeep or equivilant instead and strap a small dirt bike on the back?
I've done multi-day trips, but I just load the back-pack with the bare necessities, and keep the bike light and agile like it should be for that kind of riding. I'll admit I don't camp out on the bike tho.....I have no desire to load my bike down to the point of being unrideable, then trying to make a gnarly ass dirt trip
True Camping is what 4-wheel drives are for.....and they'll haul a dirt bike on back no prob. The best of both worlds imo
While I agree the fellow shown was overloaded ... I believe you may be missing the point here. The site you are currently reading is called:
ADV Rider. It's about travel on a motorcycle, and the implication is more serious travel than a weekend doing local fire roads ... even though that's about all most here ever do.

But what a few like Walter Colebatch and a handful of other "real" adventure riders do is the real deal. The reason they are packed heavily is that they LIVE OFF their bikes for over a month at a time and ride thousands of miles during that time. All done in the middle of nowhere, no chase or support vehicles. Call 'em crazy ... but it's what they do.

Read Colebatch's earlier Sibirsky ride reports to gain insight into what riding Russia, Mongolia and the Road Of Bones is all about. Sure, a jeep would be easier and I could take my 92 year old mother in law along. Sibirsky don't do the Ewan & Charlie version of Adventure.

The art of traveling light is striking a balance. Not easy. The DR is heavy to begin with, adding too much gear means you'll pay in pain down the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
What a limited "point of view" you have of life.

TraveGuy


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Don't plan on doing anything like the TAT then. When you live off your bike for 20-30 days you end up carrying some gear! My sponsers (Miss Mongle) said there wasn't enough in the budget for a chase vehicle to carry my shit! Would I have had more fun in certain parts if I wasn't carrying all that crap....you bet. But, I would leave again tomorrow loaded down to the bump stop if I could. To me the Adventure part of riding is doing stuff that isn't the "norm".

I will say that guy was carrying more stuff then I was...But, I knew I was going to be around civilization every couple of days if I wanted to. Out there you are kind of on your own.
Well said, and sums up what it takes to travel on a bike for more than a weekend. Now multiply TAT trip requirements about double if considering a Sibirsky ride. Big kudos to these guys.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #70585
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 100,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Picky picky. You will have to make your own I beileve.

That first fender pictured, if you flip it around backwards, might be the ticket.
I have two sets of wheels for my 650. I think the set with knobbies on wouldn't fit with that fender.
__________________
.



windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #70586
shu
...
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
True Camping is what 4-wheel drives are for.....and they'll haul a dirt bike on back no prob. The best of both worlds imo
Hmmmm.....nope, I can't say that that's better than this:



Quote:
Rumlover: Different people have different ideas of fun.



................shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #70587
Rumlover
Ed
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
While I agree the fellow shown was overloaded ... I believe you may be missing the point here. The site you are currently reading is called:
ADV Rider. It's about travel on a motorcycle, and the implication is more serious travel than a weekend doing local fire roads ... even though that's about all most here ever do.

But what a few like Walter Colebatch and a handful of other "real" adventure riders do is the real deal. The reason they are packed heavily is that they LIVE OFF their bikes for over a month at a time and ride thousands of miles during that time. All done in the middle of nowhere, no chase or support vehicles. Call 'em crazy ... but it's what they do.

Read Colebatch's earlier Sibirsky ride reports to gain insight into what riding Russia, Mongolia and the Road Of Bones is all about. Sure, a jeep would be easier and I could take my 92 year old mother in law along. Sibirsky don't do the Ewan & Charlie version of Adventure.

The art of traveling light is striking a balance. Not easy. The DR is heavy to begin with, adding too much gear means you'll pay in pain down the trail. .
I know I am already on thin ice here -- falling into the mostly weekend adventure only group.
But there are many types of "adventure" on a motorcycle and not all include month long journeys into far away and lonely places (BIG Kudos to those that pull it off). Many adventure riders (all over the ADV site) never see anything more than an occasional well maintained dirt road.

And while most all of us enjoy reading about the great adventures, it really doesn't appeal to some of us to embark on such epic rides.

So I think we (at least I ) get the point -- just don't see it as something I would enjoy.

Rumlover screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 02:11 PM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #70588
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I would like someting that rides an inch or two more above the wheel than that.
That's just sitting on there. Could be made to ride at whatever height you wanted.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #70589
shu
...
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 989


Before you get down too much on this guy, compare his panniers to the other guys. He's probably got about 16 L on a side with those bags, and the other bikes have 30 L or more on a side. (I think his are Dirtbagz, 15 L and I'm pretty sure the others are the bags that Colebatch helped develop and they're big.)

So he needs to have the tank panniers and the overstuffed duffel too make up some extra capacity.

You don't go 12,000 miles through backtrails in Russia and Siberia without carrying some stuff. Cold, rainy conditions for weeks on end: you'll need that tent and sleeping bag. The spare parts and tools you bring are the only ones you'll find- there's no riding out to the next town to find a motorcycle shop- there are no motorcycle shops. Need brake pads or a chain? I hope you brought 'em. Wear out a tire? You better have one with you or you better have shipped one on ahead. You won't find tires out there.

The trick is to be self sufficient without bringing too much, and it is tricky.

I give Rick full credit for his try. Too bad it didn't work out better for him, but that uncertainty of success is what made it worth trying.

.................shu

(all my opinion, of course )
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #70590
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
What a limited "point of view" you have of life.

TraveGuy

Less limited then giving up after one day into the ride.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014