Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #70591
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
R3 Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAdoo View Post

Anyone come across this r3 doo-dad in the wiring loom at the rear of the tank?

Appears to be a 2K2 resistor, connects to the Green/ Blue wire from the CDI unit & a Red/ black wire that disappears into the main loom.

Can't find any info in the manual.
The symbol on the end of R3 is two diodes hooked back to back. Don't try running with it removed... it might fry something.

My bike has one also.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #70592
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Why would somebody load down a bike like that then try to take it into gnarly off-road situations? That seems way more dangerous and frustrating then fun.......honestly if thats the kind of trek a person wants to go on, why not just take a jeep or equivilant instead and strap a small dirt bike on the back?
I've done multi-day trips, but I just load the back-pack with the bare necessities, and keep the bike light and agile like it should be for that kind of riding. I'll admit I don't camp out on the bike tho.....I have no desire to load my bike down to the point of being unrideable, then trying to make a gnarly ass dirt trip
True Camping is what 4-wheel drives are for.....and they'll haul a dirt bike on back no prob. The best of both worlds imo
While I agree the fellow shown was overloaded ... I believe you may be missing the point here. The site you are currently reading is called:
ADV Rider. It's about travel on a motorcycle, and the implication is more serious travel than a weekend doing local fire roads ... even though that's about all most here ever do.

But what a few like Walter Colebatch and a handful of other "real" adventure riders do is the real deal. The reason they are packed heavily is that they LIVE OFF their bikes for over a month at a time and ride thousands of miles during that time. All done in the middle of nowhere, no chase or support vehicles. Call 'em crazy ... but it's what they do.

Read Colebatch's earlier Sibirsky ride reports to gain insight into what riding Russia, Mongolia and the Road Of Bones is all about. Sure, a jeep would be easier and I could take my 92 year old mother in law along. Sibirsky don't do the Ewan & Charlie version of Adventure.

The art of traveling light is striking a balance. Not easy. The DR is heavy to begin with, adding too much gear means you'll pay in pain down the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
What a limited "point of view" you have of life.

TraveGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Don't plan on doing anything like the TAT then. When you live off your bike for 20-30 days you end up carrying some gear! My sponsers (Miss Mongle) said there wasn't enough in the budget for a chase vehicle to carry my shit! Would I have had more fun in certain parts if I wasn't carrying all that crap....you bet. But, I would leave again tomorrow loaded down to the bump stop if I could. To me the Adventure part of riding is doing stuff that isn't the "norm".

I will say that guy was carrying more stuff then I was...But, I knew I was going to be around civilization every couple of days if I wanted to. Out there you are kind of on your own.
Well said, and sums up what it takes to travel on a bike for more than a weekend. Now multiply TAT trip requirements about double if considering a Sibirsky ride. Big kudos to these guys.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #70593
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Picky picky. You will have to make your own I beileve.

That first fender pictured, if you flip it around backwards, might be the ticket.
I have two sets of wheels for my 650. I think the set with knobbies on wouldn't fit with that fender.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #70594
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
True Camping is what 4-wheel drives are for.....and they'll haul a dirt bike on back no prob. The best of both worlds imo
Hmmmm.....nope, I can't say that that's better than this:

Quote:
Rumlover: Different people have different ideas of fun.

................shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #70595
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
While I agree the fellow shown was overloaded ... I believe you may be missing the point here. The site you are currently reading is called:
ADV Rider. It's about travel on a motorcycle, and the implication is more serious travel than a weekend doing local fire roads ... even though that's about all most here ever do.

But what a few like Walter Colebatch and a handful of other "real" adventure riders do is the real deal. The reason they are packed heavily is that they LIVE OFF their bikes for over a month at a time and ride thousands of miles during that time. All done in the middle of nowhere, no chase or support vehicles. Call 'em crazy ... but it's what they do.

Read Colebatch's earlier Sibirsky ride reports to gain insight into what riding Russia, Mongolia and the Road Of Bones is all about. Sure, a jeep would be easier and I could take my 92 year old mother in law along. Sibirsky don't do the Ewan & Charlie version of Adventure.

The art of traveling light is striking a balance. Not easy. The DR is heavy to begin with, adding too much gear means you'll pay in pain down the trail. .
I know I am already on thin ice here -- falling into the mostly weekend adventure only group.
But there are many types of "adventure" on a motorcycle and not all include month long journeys into far away and lonely places (BIG Kudos to those that pull it off). Many adventure riders (all over the ADV site) never see anything more than an occasional well maintained dirt road.

And while most all of us enjoy reading about the great adventures, it really doesn't appeal to some of us to embark on such epic rides.

So I think we (at least I ) get the point -- just don't see it as something I would enjoy.

Rumlover screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 01:11 PM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #70596
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I would like someting that rides an inch or two more above the wheel than that.
That's just sitting on there. Could be made to ride at whatever height you wanted.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #70597
shu

Oddometer: 979

Before you get down too much on this guy, compare his panniers to the other guys. He's probably got about 16 L on a side with those bags, and the other bikes have 30 L or more on a side. (I think his are Dirtbagz, 15 L and I'm pretty sure the others are the bags that Colebatch helped develop and they're big.)

So he needs to have the tank panniers and the overstuffed duffel too make up some extra capacity.

You don't go 12,000 miles through backtrails in Russia and Siberia without carrying some stuff. Cold, rainy conditions for weeks on end: you'll need that tent and sleeping bag. The spare parts and tools you bring are the only ones you'll find- there's no riding out to the next town to find a motorcycle shop- there are no motorcycle shops. Need brake pads or a chain? I hope you brought 'em. Wear out a tire? You better have one with you or you better have shipped one on ahead. You won't find tires out there.

The trick is to be self sufficient without bringing too much, and it is tricky.

I give Rick full credit for his try. Too bad it didn't work out better for him, but that uncertainty of success is what made it worth trying.

.................shu

(all my opinion, of course )
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #70598
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
What a limited "point of view" you have of life.

TraveGuy

Less limited then giving up after one day into the ride.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #70599
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Don't plan on doing anything like the TAT then.
Bwahaaa Like the TAT is any big thing. Could do ,most of it in a car.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #70600
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Bwahaaa Like the TAT is any big thing. Could do ,most of it in a car.
I guess you have been on "bigger" rides then? I would love to read the ride report. Or is sacasm the only thing you have to contribute?

And yes, you could do most of it in a Jeep. You obviously missed my point about being on a bike for more then 3 days- You don't leave out with a fresh pair of unders and a camel back and expect to make it far or sleep in semi-comfort.

Rumlover- Living off the bike for more then a weekend isn't everyone's cup of tea...and I understand that. Doesn't make you an outcast! I can understand the guy wanting as much as he can for those worse case moment especially in the middle of Russia! But, sometimes you need to find another way around the mud bog when you are loaded down like a tanker!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #70601
McAdoo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
re post #70785

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
That is a diode pack which is part of the side stand/neutral switch interlock system.
The diode pack is the part shown directly below R3 in the photo. It is marked 5823

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
The symbol on the end of R3 is two diodes hooked back to back. Don't try running with it removed... it might fry something. My bike has one also.
Dave
I agree, however the two diodes back to back with a capacitor in the middle could be a symbol or else the logo of the company that made the part.

If R3 was a surge suppressor or transorb, you would think that the other side would connect to the Blk/Wh ground wire.
Where the Red/Blk wire connects to is the $64 question atm.

R3 is not a diode, it has two spade terminals & measures 2200 ohms in both directions
McAdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #70602
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAdoo View Post
Where the Red/Blk wire connects to is the $64k question atm.
I'll PM my addy, a money-order will be good.

More info:
The manual says that Canada, USA, Australia, Austria, and Switzerland don't use the R3 connector, mine is just hanging by the upper shock mount. I'm surprised smilin' jack has something in the R3 connector. On page 7-11, the wiring diagram says "For the Others". Sounds creepy.

R3 has a red/black and a green/blue wire and it looks to go straight to the NSU, shown below.

My point: most DRs will have a single blue wire on the NSU and nothing in the R3 connector. "The Others" will have something in the R3 and 3 wires at the NSU switch.

NordieBoy's photo IIRC.

This shows the NSU connector (blue wire), the empty R3 connector, and on the left of the frame rail is the R3 red/black-green/blue wire; also seen above.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 05:30 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #70603
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
I know I am already on thin ice here -- falling into the mostly weekend adventure only group.
But there are many types of "adventure" on a motorcycle and not all include month long journeys into far away and lonely places (BIG Kudos to those that pull it off). Many adventure riders (all over the ADV site) never see anything more than an occasional well maintained dirt road.

And while most all of us enjoy reading about the great adventures, it really doesn't appeal to some of us to embark on such epic rides.

So I think we (at least I ) get the point -- just don't see it as something I would enjoy.
Understood. Fact is, I wouldn't enjoy Colebatch's Sibirsky ride either at this point in my riding career. Why? I'm too old and out of shape.
"Man's got to know his limitations" (Dirty Harry).

And nothing wrong with Weekend Warrior Adventure riders ... just pointing out there are guys out there doing hairball stuff, 10,000 miles from home with no support. Takes a huge commitment to do such a ride.

I'm too out of shape and weak to pull off something that tough now.
IMHO, Colebatch and the other BMW rider did the wrong thing. They saw right away Rick was struggling. They should have hung back with him and helped.

On our rides (and I've been in a few were things were very tough and we had older riders of less ability along) first thing we do is have one or two STRONG riders ... the best ... hang back and stay with the backmarker to help him get through the tough sections, help choose lines ... and help PUSH, RIDE, PORTAGE OR CARRY his bike through!
This is H A R D work.

This does a couple things: 1. It lets the backmarker guy know that we CARE ... and aren't going to abandon him. 2. Keeps the group more or less together, albeit slows the pace way down. But better late than never.
3. Might convince the backmarker to lighten his load or take alternate routes in future.

Those boys should have stayed with Rick (behind him) and helped him out.
You must work as a Team to get through. All must work together, one for all, all for one.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #70604
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,154
Grifter:
I agree with everything you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
Found the link for the kill switch rebuild. DisTech had nice directions= post 117 in his DR rebuild page.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=415263&page=8

Dave
Thanks Dave.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #70605
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Thumb Great responses from great folks.....thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post

Yep those are pretty much my sentiments exactly.......my wife loves to come along on camping trips (along with our 3 small dogs lol), there's no way it would be fun for either of us to load down a bike like that, then try and ride double through the kind of gnarly terrian that could potentially hurt us both, or strand us at the minimum. And to be honest I like when my wife comes along
Plus I also like having solo fun on my dirt bike without 200+lbs of stuff hanging off it. But I will do multi-day adventure trips to see new sites on my dual sport, I just stay in motels for the night and skip the pack mule effect in the dirt....I know its not everyones cup of tea, but it works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

The art of traveling light is striking a balance. Not easy. The DR is heavy to begin with, adding too much gear means you'll pay in pain down the trail.

Well said, and sums up what it takes to travel on a bike for more than a weekend. Now multiply TAT trip requirements about double if considering a Sibirsky ride. Big kudos to these guys.
Thanks for the very reasonable response to my post...much appreciated
As I explained above, my adventure needs are slightly different than others, so for me the full on adventure bike month long or more trips don't really work. I HIGHLY respect ANYBODY willing to do them tho, I guess I just had a little trouble understanding where the fun was lol. You've really helped open my eyes tho, thanks.
I enjoy long distance running and biking, which a lot of folks also think is nuts, so I just need to accept other folks ideas of fun and congratulate them on their endeavours, even if I personally could never see myself enjoying it.
Again thanks for the very reasonable and open response