Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #70606
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball View Post
i couldn't agree more!! i have owned way more bikes than i can remember, including a ktm 950a, a 640 a, two 640e's (used to be my favorite dual sport), a dakar, a 1150gsa, a couple of 1100 gs's, a couple of gspd's, a r100gs, a transalp etc etc.

i acquired my dr in a trade recently and fully intended to sell it, but after a few rides, i am really surprised at how capable & comfortable it is. i have been through places it shouldn't go, but it just tractor through & up!! it was well set by the p.o. & works really well both on & off road.
Wow that's good to know. I thought i was missing something with the big 1200's. The only thing i can think of is passing power after 80 and larger bike more room = more comfort. But usually if the traffic is at 80 I don't need to pass anyways. or really want to going that fast with my daughter on the back. i do understand it is nice to have sufficient power when needed. But so far the DR really gets going enough for me merging on the freeway. 65 by third gear easy.

I will post pics when I can of our last adventure to Wyoming.

boulder.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #70607
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
I ride the Wasatch front and up to the uintahs. Quite a altitude change. The DR doesn't miss a beat. I weigh 270 pound without gear. With gear and back pack full of water maybe 285 to 290. I ride with full saddlebags about 35 pounds together. A Giant loop Mojave bag = 25 pounds of stuff. A custom tool box on the left side = 15 pounds of stuff. And one big bag with tent and belongings = another 20 pounds or so.
Oh and one more thing a 120 pound daughter on the hardly any room seat behind me. She sits on the Mojave bag.

With all this weight this bike does not skip a beat. it amazes me. Going up to higher altitude i have no problems what so ever. Cruises fine at 80 MPHs up all the hills. The steeper ones on the higher altitudes It takes longer to get to 80 (i mean real steep 45 to 75 grade).

This bike is heavy compared to a 250 but light as hell compared to a 990 adventure, ST, BMW GS and any other two cylinder i believe.

Anyways when i go single track It does just fine. Got to have the right front tire and I personally think it is not that far behind my KTM 450sx in slow trail riding. For fast past single trail yes the KTM is way better. But i don't get the adventure feel going 35 - 55 on tight trails with the KTM, as I do with my DR as I don't go near that fast on the DR, I could try but would not be wise at all.. I actually see Moose, Deer, Elk and one black bear on the DR. The KTM I have never seen any animals. Kind of funny ahe? Ya the KTM is fun but man i am enjoying the DR a lot more. And it is soooo nice not to trailer a bike to ride. Damn nice.

Anyways only mods i have is stiffer suspension, Dynojet carb and supper-trap exhaust with open air box. Oh ya the Safari tank.
Using 15 tooth front CS. had the 14 but started doing allot of freeway with daughter and I like the easy cruzn. Change when i do trails back to 14.

Great Bike.
I love the new bikes coming out and i might get one someday but right now i really don't need one due to this dang DR. Every time i decide to sell it and go get a 15k to 20k bike i get the guiltiness as i know this damn DR does everything i really need. penny's on the dollar also. I can use the extra money i save on the dr to pay for hotels food and camping gear and gas for more trips with my daughter and not go into dept doing so.

ok now off my soapbox sorry everyone. Just incase someone is considering a new bike to do many types of riding this should be your purchase.
Boulder
Argreed

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #70608
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I just ordered new steering bearings from ProCycle. Is there a link to a HOWTO on changing these out? I have the service manual, but wanted to ask here first. I'm not sure if I have the tools needed to do this, especially if it requires them to be pressed on or off.

Something weird is going on with my steering. I've posted about it here before but never figured it out. But it feels like there's an on-center "detent" that makes it very hard to actually turn the bars ever so slightly (whether countersteering at speed, or regular steering at low speeds) that makes it necessary to exaggerate. I've used four different sets of tires on the bike and it does it with all of them, so it's not the tires. So it comes down to either the steering bearings or maybe something in the forks. The detent, or "notch," is undetectable with the front wheel off the ground, but with weight on the front wheel, even at a standstill, it's easy to feel. My KLX250S doesn't do this and neither does my FZ1.

Rob

sounds like the bearings have given up the ghost. Dried up or theres a rusted one. the bearings are supposed to roll freely if they are dried out , or the grease is corrupted it would cause those issues. the reason you dont see it with the wheel in the air is there is no load on it. put a load on it and then the bearings really cominto play. sounds like you know what the issue is but just need a little hand holding. trouble shooting and being able to explain it to someone else goes along way to resolving issues and saving money. caause you have explained it happens under load , changed tires still happens remove load and the issue goes away . check the bearings replace or grease them . Jimbo

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #70609
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammalamma View Post
Hey DR lovers,

I have a pannier predicament. I currently have the 7.5" Happy Trail Teton panniers on my DR650SE. While I am happy with how they have performed thus far, I would like to get a little more storage space so I'm planning on updating to the 9" versions. As the bike sits right now, the right side pannier sticks out farther from center than the left side pannier due to the muffler. It seems some versions of the pannier racks compensate for this and some do not. Mine, unfortunately, do not. With that said, have any of you mounted different sized panniers to make them stick out equally from the center of the bike? For example) If I put the 9" box on the left side and the 7.5" box on the right side they'll stick out equally from the center of the bike. Or even the 10" on the left side and the 9" on the right side.

Have any of you done this? Do you guys think this would look funny? Does anyone have any experience with the (what seems like) humongous 10" pannier? Is it just too big?

Thanks guys!
Sam
I use expandable soft bags with Happy Trails SU racks (they are off center). I expand the one side and not the other. I try not to put more lbs in one side over the other. The only time I find it to be a problem is when the bags get bigger then the handle bars...when you just squeeze by a tree with the bars and forget about the bags it gets interesting!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #70610
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Hey DR lovers,

I have a pannier predicament. I currently have the 7.5" Happy Trail Teton panniers on my DR650SE. While I am happy with how they have performed thus far, I would like to get a little more storage space so I'm planning on updating to the 9" versions. As the bike sits right now, the right side pannier sticks out farther from center than the left side pannier due to the muffler. It seems some versions of the pannier racks compensate for this and some do not. Mine, unfortunately, do not. With that said, have any of you mounted different sized panniers to make them stick out equally from the center of the bike? For example) If I put the 9" box on the left side and the 7.5" box on the right side they'll stick out equally from the center of the bike. Or even the 10" on the left side and the 9" on the right side.

Have any of you done this? Do you guys think this would look funny? Does anyone have any experience with the (what seems like) humongous 10" pannier? Is it just too big?

Thanks guys!
Sam
I don't think 9" left and 7.5" right would look as weird as you're thinking. You could probably do a really quick and easy "photoshop" (ie. MSPaint) just taking a picture of the 9" panniers from behind and pasting it over a picture of the 7.5" from behind. I don't personally think it looks overly odd with one side a touch wider than the other.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #70611
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I went back in there and traced that wire from the engine up to the seat area where it seems like a malfunction junction where all the connectors are and found the connector with the single blue wire was connected. I then did a switchectomy on the side stand switch and it will now start with the stand down.

Still no joy on the neutral light, I guess I'll be digging in there this weekend.

Edit: Checked continuity on the blue wire from the NSU to ground and I get an open reading....should be a short when in neutral.
How did this turn out?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #70612
Sammalamma
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I don't think 9" left and 7.5" right would look as weird as you're thinking. You could probably do a really quick and easy "photoshop" (ie. MSPaint) just taking a picture of the 9" panniers from behind and pasting it over a picture of the 7.5" from behind. I don't personally think it looks overly odd with one side a touch wider than the other.
Thanks for you opinion and the good idea to use PS. I mostly wish I had the racks that compensated for the muffler so I could fit a spare fuel jug or tool case in the gap in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I use expandable soft bags with Happy Trails SU racks (they are off center). I expand the one side and not the other. I try not to put more lbs in one side over the other. The only time I find it to be a problem is when the bags get bigger then the handle bars...when you just squeeze by a tree with the bars and forget about the bags it gets interesting!
HAHA! That reminds me of my dog when he tries to get through doorways with a big stick in his mouth. It's a site to see, let me tell you... :)
"'Any bike's subframe is liable to crack with the extra weight of the luggage when travelling on corrugated dirt roads,' it said somewhere. Hmm, I thought... mental note: Strengthen subframe. Second mental note: Find out what subframe is." - Lois Pryce
Sammalamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #70613
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Thanks for you opinion and the good idea to use PS. I mostly wish I had the racks that compensated for the muffler so I could fit a spare fuel jug or tool case in the gap in between.
This is a bit...ghetto, but you might be able to use some study spacers to push the other pannier out by an inch or so. I'm not sure if that'd put too much stress on the rack, but if you're just looking to even it out, that might be a better [cheaper] option than buying a second case.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #70614
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCLI-Jim View Post
sounds like the bearings have given up the ghost. Dried up or theres a rusted one. the bearings are supposed to roll freely if they are dried out , or the grease is corrupted it would cause those issues. the reason you dont see it with the wheel in the air is there is no load on it. put a load on it and then the bearings really cominto play. sounds like you know what the issue is but just need a little hand holding. trouble shooting and being able to explain it to someone else goes along way to resolving issues and saving money. caause you have explained it happens under load , changed tires still happens remove load and the issue goes away . check the bearings replace or grease them . Jimbo

Thanks! I'm glad to know this is the likely culprit.

I found the page in the service manual (5-20), but it makes no mention about the bearings needing to be pressed. I suppose if they do, I'll run the stem over to the local cycle shop and let them do it. I'll get the bike ready to be disassembled tonight after I straighten up the garage a bit. The bearings are due here tomorrow.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #70615
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
The bearing itself is not pressed,but 3 of 4 races are.If I remember right.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #70616
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
I just ordered new steering bearings from ProCycle. Is there a link to a HOWTO on changing these out? I have the service manual, but wanted to ask here first. I'm not sure if I have the tools needed to do this, especially if it requires them to be pressed on or off.

Something weird is going on with my steering. I've posted about it here before but never figured it out. But it feels like there's an on-center "detent" that makes it very hard to actually turn the bars ever so slightly (whether countersteering at speed, or regular steering at low speeds) that makes it necessary to exaggerate. I've used four different sets of tires on the bike and it does it with all of them, so it's not the tires. So it comes down to either the steering bearings or maybe something in the forks. The detent, or "notch," is undetectable with the front wheel off the ground, but with weight on the front wheel, even at a standstill, it's easy to feel. My KLX250S doesn't do this and neither does my FZ1.

Rob
That problem is common on BMW airheads FWIW, the tapered rollers make small dents in the races (brinelling) and the steering becomes indexed like you said, happened to me. There are probably some writeups here or elsewhere on the web on replacing the bearings on a BMW that might be helpful, there are some tricks for removing and installing the races.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinelling

victor441 screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 02:27 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #70617
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
...it feels like there's an on-center "detent" that makes it very hard to actually turn the bars ever so slightly (whether countersteering at speed, or regular steering at low speeds) that makes it necessary to exaggerate...
Classic symptoms of worn steering bearings. When you haven't experienced detented bearings before it feels like tire problems. It can make it very difficult to ride in a straight line at medium speeds.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #70618
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Classic symptoms of worn steering bearings. When you haven't experienced detented bearings before it feels like tire problems. It can make it very difficult to ride in a straight line at medium speeds.
Often you feel it as you come to a stop. The bike weaves around really badly then.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #70619
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
Is that the Coyote bag or the Great Basin?
Great Basin. I also have a Coyote for shorter trips.
Another note--it's possible to pack a bit lighter on trips with a group, as you can share tent, stove, and such. Solo, your load is necessarily heavier.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #70620
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I agree wholeheartedly Travelguy! Not that I can do half of what that man could do, I give him (and all the other brave souls here)credit for DOING IT! Lifes an adventure and we need to ride OUR adventure... yours may be 4wd with a bike in the back... his was a bike with a 4wd and a bunch more in back!! Keep on truckin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
What a limited "point of view" you have of life.

TraveGuy