User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #70606
McAdoo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
DR650 Ignition Circut

Many Thanks, ER70S-2, the cheque's in the mail. I will delve into this a bit deeper.
My bike is a 2005 Australian delivery.

I have had suspicions about the operation of the sidestand switch circuit / neutral switch everytime I look at the schematic diagram shown above,
which shows it linked to the CDI unit. I paid it no attention as I thought is may have been used on the early 96-98 models.

It appears there are a few different variations of the CDI unit wiring with regard to year of manufacture & country delivered.

Previously I believed the Side Stand Relay circuits only function was to cut out the +12volt supply to the CDI and the starter solenoid.

The second photo shows the 8 pole connector from the main loom to the CDI unit on my bike.
Only six wires are used.

Org/Wh = +12volt supply
Blk/Wh = neg ground
Org/Yell = connects the 100R resistor to ground when ignition switch is on
White/Blu = Output to ignition coil primary winding
Green/ Blu = To R3 and neutral switch ??
Black = ????

There is a line diagram in the manual the shows the black wire from the CDI connected to Blk/ White negative ground.
This is not the case on my bike. The wire appears to be open circuit.

Anyone know about the mysteries of this part of the circuit?

McAdoo screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 07:44 PM Reason: add info
McAdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #70607
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post

Before you get down too much on this guy, compare his panniers to the other guys. He's probably got about 16 L on a side with those bags, and the other bikes have 30 L or more on a side. (I think his are Dirtbagz, 15 L and I'm pretty sure the others are the bags that Colebatch helped develop and they're big.)

So he needs to have the tank panniers and the overstuffed duffel too make up some extra capacity.

You don't go 12,000 miles through backtrails in Russia and Siberia without carrying some stuff. Cold, rainy conditions for weeks on end: you'll need that tent and sleeping bag. The spare parts and tools you bring are the only ones you'll find- there's no riding out to the next town to find a motorcycle shop- there are no motorcycle shops. Need brake pads or a chain? I hope you brought 'em. Wear out a tire? You better have one with you or you better have shipped one on ahead. You won't find tires out there.

The trick is to be self sufficient without bringing too much, and it is tricky.

I give Rick full credit for his try. Too bad it didn't work out better for him, but that uncertainty of success is what made it worth trying.

.................shu

(all my opinion, of course )
I agree. When I saw the bike on the ground in the first picture, I just looked like a massive pile of stuff, but now it doesn't look that unreasonable for serious over-landing. Most serious (several thousand mile) overland trips that I have seen are loaded up like this. Someday, I will be joining the ranks of the pack mules. And one of the purposes of a loaded down trip like this is the challenge. The challenge of living off the bike for an extended time. The challenge of making it through all the obstacles (hopefully minimal mud). The challenge of being self sufficient. The fun part isn't shooting around at warp speed, but at accomplishing a difficult task and seeing the world that you are driving through. Sometimes it sucks at the time. But recalling the memories is always great!
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #70608
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,010
Rick got hurt. There's something wrong with his hip. That may not have anything to do with his choice of kit or even his preparedeness for the trip in terms of skill. It's just chance. Waste of time to go into it here.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #70609
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAdoo View Post
Many Thanks, ER70S-2, the cheque's in the mail.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #70610
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 298
As someone who has done some overlanding on a DR650 (lived on the bike for 3 months up to Alaska and back, solo--far less intense and remote than the ride being discussed), Rick's load wasn't that enormous. Definitely intense for mud of that depth, but striking that balance between being self sufficient and packing light enough for a good ride is one of the big challenges of adv-type riding. Rick took the gamble bravely, and his dice came up snake eyes; good that he was not more severely injured, used his good judgment, and got to spend the rest of the summer riding his own way.

I elected, for example, to forego carrying tires and fork seals to keep my weight down...which was a fine thing for lighter packing, but when I blew a fork seal in the Wrangell-St. Elias wilderness, it wasn't so hot. And a ride through Russia and the 'stans multiplies the roughness of the terrain and the unavailability of parts or mechanical support.

Of course, loading the bike up like a mule and trying to slog it through mud for a month isn't precisely...fun, but some of us are attracted to the idea. When I've been mired in muck with a 60-pound load of gear in the freezing sleet, with the pig of a DR wallowing all over, knowing that the vultures would get me before any rescuers, it seemed the very apex of madness and stupidity. The DR, at those times, seemed a primitive, heavy hunk of lead, the terrain downright menacing.

But to see the vast plains of the tundra explode into rainbows, seemingly for me alone, a tiny bike and human lost in a vast landscape...or sipping whiskey by the glow of the almost-midnight sun, with my tent and bike beside me...or whooping with joy at tackling a tough (for me) trail successfully, and seeing a side of the mountain I'd never have glimpsed otherwise.

The DR, at those times, seemed a stalwart and redoubtable companion, and flying over the landscape aboard it seemed the most perfect thing in the world.

And a +1 on teamwork when riding in tough country, though it can be frustrating when the skill level/pain level/risk acceptance level of the riders are mismatched. But you've only got one another out there.

Mind you, I took one of those trips an earlier poster described this summer--trucked little bikes to Colorado, and did some great, rewarding day rides over the passes with a friend. Man, it was a luxury with such a light load! But when you want to go deep, you need a few things.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #70611
McAdoo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Thanks again, ER70S-2, I've been digging around and it looks like my bike may have been wired as per the "Others" wiring diagram, as you mentioned.
This shows the black wire from the CDI connected to the switch on the carb to retard the ignition at full throttle.
McAdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #70612
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Bwahaaa Like the TAT is any big thing. Could do ,most of it in a car.
Have you ridden the TAT ?
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #70613
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,712
Ooops, a day late and a dollar short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAdoo View Post
Org/Wh = +12volt supply
Blk/Wh = neg ground
Org/Yell = connects the 100R resistor to ground when ignition switch is on
White/Blu = Output to ignition coil primary winding
Green/ Blu = To R3 and neutral switch ??
Black = ????

There is a line diagram in the manual the shows the black wire from the CDI connected to Blk/ White negative ground.
This is not the case on my bike. The wire appears to be open circuit.

Anyone know about the mysteries of this part of the circuit?
My plug has the same 6 wires you do.

Looks like you're one of "The Others".
So it looks like 'black' goes to the throttle switch which lives on the right side of the carb, where the brass tube is in this photo (couldn't find one with the switch). The diagram looks like there should be two wires there, not a single wire looking for a ground in the carb.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #70614
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote "Of course, loading the bike up like a mule and trying to slog it through mud for a month isn't precisely...fun, but some of us are attracted to the idea. When I've been mired in muck with a 60-pound load of gear in the freezing sleet, with the pig of a DR wallowing all over, knowing that the vultures would get me before any rescuers, it seemed the very apex of madness and stupidity. The DR, at those times, seemed a primitive, heavy hunk of lead, the terrain downright menacing."end quote

Jeez I used to be in the infantry now I am in the Royal Navy and I can easily understand that. I dont know how many times I ended up with more the 60 + lbs on my back and I get told by some voice over the radio to get a leg on. Well thats great but I still have to move my body + the weight and deal with the weather and terrain sir !! . Terrain always makes a difference. Riding a bike with an extra 200 lbs can be done easily on a highway, It gets more difficult as the terrain changes. I hardly can imagine what his DR must of felt like in the loose slick mud. Lets see I took my brand new DR on a trail ride or as I found out later a TRIALS ride, everyone else was on true trials bike or MX'ers.l At the end Guys walked up and said "I dont know how you did it I could not of."
I give him Kudos for at least trying it. Retirement looms just around the corner for me I hope I have that sort of gumption. I'm thinking about a trip to Asia on a 250, maybe that way I can get parts in whatever country I am. with all that in mind I wil lbe able to pick it up and move it but I will not be riding though 1/4 of the crap that the Road of Bones / Siberia 'Stans could through at these guys

Hats off to you good luck Good riding

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel

PPCLI-Jim screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 11:26 PM Reason: cleaning up my pre school mistakes
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #70615
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCLI-Jim View Post
Quote "Of course, loading the bike up like a mule and trying to slog it through mud for a month isn't precisely...fun, but some of us are attracted to the idea. When I've been mired in muck with a 60-pound load of gear in the freezing sleet, with the pig of a DR wallowing all over, knowing that the vultures would get me before any rescuers, it seemed the very apex of madness and stupidity. The DR, at those times, seemed a primitive, heavy hunk of lead, the terrain downright menacing."end quote

Jeez I used to be in the infantry now I am in the Royal Navy and I can easily understand that. I dont know how many times I ended up with more the 60 + lbs on my back and I get told by some voice over the radio to get a leg on. Well thats great but I still have to move my body + the weight and deal with the weather and terrain sir !! . Terrain always makes a difference. Riding a bike with an extra 200 lbs can be done easily on a highway, It gets more difficult as the terrain changes. I hardly can imagine what his DR must of felt like in the loose slick mud. Lets see I took my brand new DR on a trail ride or as I found out later a TRIALS ride, everyone else was on true trials bike or MX'ers.l At the end Guys walked up and said "I dont know how you did it I could not of."
I give him Kudos for at least trying it. Retirement looms just around the corner for me I hope I have that sort of gumption. I'm thinking about a trip to Asia on a 250, maybe that way I can get parts in whatever country I am. with all that in mind I wil lbe able to pick it up and move it but I will not be riding though 1/4 of the crap that the Road of Bones / Siberia 'Stans could through at these guys

Hats off to you good luck Good riding
Jim, here's a S.E.A. trip for ya:
http://ridefor cambodia.com

I, along with some friends, are headed over in Janurary for the 2013 event. Gonna ride 125s.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #70616
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post
As someone who has done some overlanding on a DR650 (lived on the bike for 3 months up to Alaska and back, solo--far less intense and remote than the ride being discussed), Rick's load wasn't that enormous. Definitely intense for mud of that depth, but striking that balance between being self sufficient and packing light enough for a good ride is one of the big challenges of adv-type riding. Rick took the gamble bravely, and his dice came up snake eyes; good that he was not more severely injured, used his good judgment, and got to spend the rest of the summer riding his own way.

I elected, for example, to forego carrying tires and fork seals to keep my weight down...which was a fine thing for lighter packing, but when I blew a fork seal in the Wrangell-St. Elias wilderness, it wasn't so hot. And a ride through Russia and the 'stans multiplies the roughness of the terrain and the unavailability of parts or mechanical support.

Of course, loading the bike up like a mule and trying to slog it through mud for a month isn't precisely...fun, but some of us are attracted to the idea. When I've been mired in muck with a 60-pound load of gear in the freezing sleet, with the pig of a DR wallowing all over, knowing that the vultures would get me before any rescuers, it seemed the very apex of madness and stupidity. The DR, at those times, seemed a primitive, heavy hunk of lead, the terrain downright menacing.

But to see the vast plains of the tundra explode into rainbows, seemingly for me alone, a tiny bike and human lost in a vast landscape...or sipping whiskey by the glow of the almost-midnight sun, with my tent and bike beside me...or whooping with joy at tackling a tough (for me) trail successfully, and seeing a side of the mountain I'd never have glimpsed otherwise.

The DR, at those times, seemed a stalwart and redoubtable companion, and flying over the landscape aboard it seemed the most perfect thing in the world.

And a +1 on teamwork when riding in tough country, though it can be frustrating when the skill level/pain level/risk acceptance level of the riders are mismatched. But you've only got one another out there.

Mind you, I took one of those trips an earlier poster described this summer--trucked little bikes to Colorado, and did some great, rewarding day rides over the passes with a friend. Man, it was a luxury with such a light load! But when you want to go deep, you need a few things.
Neat luggage set up you have there. My wife and I just finished the TAT a few weeks ago and as you can imagine luggage placement is even more difficult 2up. We had Ortlieb soft panniers and a rear roll bag. I still would have liked to be lighter. The rear roll bag is weight that's high and way back.
That really affects the handling. When you look at Walters and Terry's bags they are mounted as low as possible.
I will be re-visiting our luggage set up when the bike gets back to NZ.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #70617
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I guess you have been on "bigger" rides then? I would love to read the ride report. Or is sacasm the only thing you have to contribute?
Sure have, in fact last week rode all the way over to Starbucks and had a triple soy latte. Still working on the ride report!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #70618
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 423
Fine Bike, Very fine Bike

I ride the Wasatch front and up to the uintahs. Quite a altitude change. The DR doesn't miss a beat. I weigh 270 pound without gear. With gear and back pack full of water maybe 285 to 290. I ride with full saddlebags about 35 pounds together. A Giant loop Mojave bag = 25 pounds of stuff. A custom tool box on the left side = 15 pounds of stuff. And one big bag with tent and belongings = another 20 pounds or so.
Oh and one more thing a 120 pound daughter on the hardly any room seat behind me. She sits on the Mojave bag.

With all this weight this bike does not skip a beat. it amazes me. Going up to higher altitude i have no problems what so ever. Cruises fine at 80 MPHs up all the hills. The steeper ones on the higher altitudes It takes longer to get to 80 (i mean real steep 45 to 75 grade).

This bike is heavy compared to a 250 but light as hell compared to a 990 adventure, ST, BMW GS and any other two cylinder i believe.

Anyways when i go single track It does just fine. Got to have the right front tire and I personally think it is not that far behind my KTM 450sx in slow trail riding. For fast past single trail yes the KTM is way better. But i don't get the adventure feel going 35 - 55 on tight trails with the KTM, as I do with my DR as I don't go near that fast on the DR, I could try but would not be wise at all.. I actually see Moose, Deer, Elk and one black bear on the DR. The KTM I have never seen any animals. Kind of funny ahe? Ya the KTM is fun but man i am enjoying the DR a lot more. And it is soooo nice not to trailer a bike to ride. Damn nice.

Anyways only mods i have is stiffer suspension, Dynojet carb and supper-trap exhaust with open air box. Oh ya the Safari tank.
Using 15 tooth front CS. had the 14 but started doing allot of freeway with daughter and I like the easy cruzn. Change when i do trails back to 14.

Great Bike.
I love the new bikes coming out and i might get one someday but right now i really don't need one due to this dang DR. Every time i decide to sell it and go get a 15k to 20k bike i get the guiltiness as i know this damn DR does everything i really need. penny's on the dollar also. I can use the extra money i save on the dr to pay for hotels food and camping gear and gas for more trips with my daughter and not go into dept doing so.

ok now off my soapbox sorry everyone. Just incase someone is considering a new bike to do many types of riding this should be your purchase.
Boulder

bouldertag screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 08:47 AM
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #70619
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post

Is that the Coyote bag or the Great Basin?
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #70620
cueball
should'a walked it first

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
I ride the Wasatch front and up to the uintahs. Quite a altitude change. The DR doesn't miss a beat. I weigh 270 pound without gear. With gear and back pack full of water maybe 285 to 290. I ride with full saddlebags about 35 pounds together. A Giant loop Mojave bag = 25 pounds of stuff. A custom tool box on the left side = 15 pounds of stuff. And one big bag with tent and belongings = another 20 pounds or so.
Oh and one more thing a 120 pound daughter on the hardly any room seat behind me. She sits on the Mojave bag.

With all this weight this bike does not skip a beat. it amazes me. Going up to higher altitude i have no problems what so ever. Cruises fine at 80 MPHs up all the hills. The steeper ones on the higher altitudes It takes longer to get to 80 (i mean real steep 45 to 75 grade).

This bike is heavy compared to a 250 but light as hell compared to a 990 adventure, ST, BMW GS and any other two cylinder i believe.

Anyways when i go single track It does just fine. Got to have the right front tire and I personally think it is not that far behind my KTM 450sx in slow trail riding. For fast past single trail yes the KTM is way better. But i don't get the adventure feel going 35 - 55 on tight trails with the KTM, as I do with my DR as I don't go near that fast on the DR, I could try but would not be wise at all.. I actually see Moose, Deer, Elk and one black bear on the DR. The KTM I have never seen any animals. Kind of funny ahe? Ya the KTM is fun but man i am enjoying the DR a lot more. And it is soooo nice not to trailer a bike to ride. Damn nice.

Anyways only mods i have is stiffer suspension, Dynojet carb and supper-trap exhaust with open air box. Oh ya the Safari tank.
Using 15 tooth front CS. had the 14 but started doing allot of freeway with daughter and I like the easy cruzn. Change when i do trails back to 14.

Great Bike.
I love the new bikes coming out and i might get one someday but right now i really don't need one due to this dang DR. Every time i decide to sell it and go get a 15k to 20k bike i get the guiltiness as i know this damn DR does everything i really need. penny's on the dollar also. I can use the extra money i save on the dr to pay for hotels food and camping gear and gas for more trips with my daughter and not go into dept doing so.

ok now off my soapbox sorry everyone. Just incase someone is considering a new bike to do many types of riding this should be your purchase.
Boulder

i couldn't agree more!! i have owned way more bikes than i can remember, including a ktm 950a, a 640 a, two 640e's (used to be my favorite dual sport), a dakar, a 1150gsa, a couple of 1100 gs's, a couple of gspd's, a r100gs, a transalp etc etc.

i acquired my dr in a trade recently and fully intended to sell it, but after a few rides, i am really suprised at how capable & comfortable it is. i have been through places it shouldn't go, but it just tractored through & up!! it was well set by the p.o. & works really well both on & off road.
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote