Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #70726
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
I wish I had fitted a steering damper to our DR before doing the TAT. Being 2 up meant I couldn't do the normal stand up with your weight back and pin it approach to the sand sections. Sitting down 2 up with gear was hard work in the deep sand. The front wheel doesnt want to track straight. The damper may help that.It may (or not) have helped us when we crashed on a dirt road after hitting a sandy patch. The front whipped around real quick and high sided us off. The damper may have slowed that violent whip of the bars and given me a chance to control it.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #70727
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
+1
A guy over at DRriders actually plotted out the DR650 linkage ratio. Turned out it is very nearly linear. Certainly not what I would have expected as the main reason linkages are used is to provide a controlled progressive action to the shock. A progressive linkage would become a bit stiffer by installing lowering links.

In addition, by lowering the suspension you decrease the available travel. All things being equal, shorter travel will require a stiffer spring to resist bottoming.
How long ago was that ? I would like to have a look at the chart. Last time I had my shock out I was moving the swingarm through its travel and it looked like the linkage point where the shock bolts on starts to travel more horizontal than vertical near the end of its travel but this can only be determined by accurately plotting it's travel. This would have a detrimental effect on the suspension performance. I was thinking of of making some clamps up for my digital calipers so I could bolt them in the position of the shock to measure things.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #70728
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

Bought lowering links from ProCycle and the holes were just about 1/2 inch closer than the ones I have on. Switched them out and noticed no difference. The ones I had on said E32 on them, do not know if they are stock. Any Ideas?
32E is stock and stamped on a multitude of parts on the DR, any year. I have no idea what 32E stands for. Stock center to center length is 4.5" or 115mm.

Quote:
Also bought a 520 13 tooth front to run with stock chain. Many people said no problem. The part that screws into sprocket has only has 2 holes for bolts into sprocket where as my other one, ProCycle, has 3. 2 bolts OK?
Did you get a new retainer plate with the 13t sprocket? Two bolts will be fine, there's no load on them. But 3 holes will be drilled at 120* x 3 (360*) and two holes will be drilled at 180* x 2 (360*). My point is, I don't think the holes will line up. If the retainer plate is small enough in outside diameter to fit inside the chain when it's on the 13t sprocket, you can just drill another hole in the retainer plate.

If it's the triangular plate, there isn't enough metal for a second hole 180* across from another. The important thing is to make sure the notches in the plate are offset from the ones in the countershaft when it's fastened.

Procycle's retainer.

Quote:
Heirhead

Not very good at riding bikes and worse working on them!!!!!!!!!
Don't worry we'll get this figured out. Can you post pics if we need them? Not a big deal, we'll just keep sharing ideas until it works.

Another solution if you're in a rush, go to the corner hardware store and buy two 7/8" circlips. I think the groove in the countershaft sprocket is wide enough that both will fit snugly, side by side. I prefer using the bolted retainer, but if you need this to work so you can get to work, it will be just fine; many have done it.

Now, about not noticing a difference in height with the new links. 1/2" shorter should make a noticeable difference in seat height. Have you sat on the bike and does the suspension still move when you bounce on the seat?

Ok, enough for now. Your questions are welcome, someone will be glad to fill in any gaps I left open.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #70729
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
2 things

Hello,

Thanks for reply.

Holes are at most 1/2 inch closer but felt no lower at all. Rear end feels fine but no lower.???
Got retainer with sprocket, 2 holes, and fits fine, my triangle would not fit. The 120 and 180 thing.
Any thoughts on the 520 front on a 525 chain? Seems to be mixed ideas.
Used to wrench on all of my bikes, anything, trans, cams, cranks, ect. Lost all confidence when I left the little rubber washer inside a r100/7 oil filter, they stick. Put new one in, filled with oil and blew engine in 3 miles as the oil does not circulate with 2 rubber washers.

Thanks again,
PS, Garrison is right!!!

Heirhead
heirhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #70730
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,907
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for reply.

Quote:
Holes are at most 1/2 inch closer but felt no lower at all. Rear end feels fine but no lower.???
Hopefully someone will have an idea on this.
Quote:
Got retainer with sprocket, 2 holes, and fits fine, my triangle would not fit. The 120 and 180 thing.
Ok, good; 2 is fine. I wondered if the 120 / 180 thing would make sense.

Quote:
Any thoughts on the 520 front on a 525 chain? Seems to be mixed ideas.
It's about the only way you'll get a 13t css. If you like that gearing, just put a new one on every 4,000 miles or so. If you ride like a wild man, 3,000 miles would be better. These are complete guesses, nothing based on experience. Just watch for wear and hooking.

Quote:
Used to wrench on all of my bikes, anything, trans, cams, cranks, ect. Lost all confidence when I left the little rubber washer inside a r100/7 oil filter, they stick. Put new one in, filled with oil and blew engine in 3 miles as the oil does not circulate with 2 rubber washers.
Ouch, that would haunt me too. Hang in there, you know how tools work, your confidence will come back. Just like everyone else, I make mistakes, but they usually cause blood.

Quote:
Thanks again,
PS, Garrison is right!!!
Sad but true.

Quote:
Heirhead
G'nite

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #70731
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
In overall capability, which other bikes do you guys think are most directly comparable to the DR?
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #70732
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
For as long as I've had the bike, the choke knob won't stay all the way out. I have to sit there and hold it in place til it warms up enough, or just ride it and deal with the lean surge.
I had an old Honda once that did that. I used a wooden clothes peg. Peg clamps around the choke when it is off with it's jaws slightly open, pull the choke open and the jaws snap closed around the steel shaft of the choke.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #70733
felixblack1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
The DR650s aren't an unstable bike and are OK in sand without a damper. But one cant hurt either. I have one on mine, but it came with the package when I got the bike. Its an MSC which is the parent company for Rallemoto AFAIK. I run Scotts on my Bergs. I prefer the Scotts because of the separate high and low speed circuits. For normal riding I set them up so you can't feel anything, but if there is a deflection, the high speed control kicks in. For sand, I just add a bit of low speed, and unwind it when out of the sand.

For me, every now and then, I hit something, and think it could have been worse if I didn't have a damper, but otherwise they go unnoticed.
what do you set the MSC at in the sand? i found the steering damper great at high speed gravel roads but when I hit the sand it stuffed my riding and I ended up turning it off.
felixblack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #70734
snatchy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I am considering a couple weeks in Baja, probably riding to the southern-most tip and back. I'm considering the need/want for a steering damper. Any thoughts on the necessity of this? I don't "want" one, I'm more concerned with the "need" for one, if that makes sense. I realize people ride without them, but I'm wondering if it'll make enough of a difference that it'd be worth the hundreds of $ toward the the ease/pleasure of the ride.

Also, I am considering the Ralle-Moto RM2 (I think that's the model). Any gooder ones I should consider?
You can fit a Scotts Damper in a few different ways.

If you wanted to fit the Scotts damper with standard bars then the universal kit mounting will make it fit. It is not a DR650 specific kit and hence it is a little more stuffing around but works fine except that you will need to buy new bars with a higher crossbar! This is an over bar mount kit, but can be the basis for an under bar mount by excluding some parts when fitting.
http://www.scottsonline.com/Stabiliz...S&BI_ID=163495
The link to the fitting instructions for a DR650 over bar is here;
http://www.scottsonline.com/litrack,/219.pdf

If you want or have oversize bars then it is a bit easier and the mount looks much neater (still an overbar setup);
http://www.scottsonline.com/Stabiliz...S&BI_ID=163492

I have a Scotts fitted under bar to my DR650 since I already had the Scotts damper on my other bike. This thread at Thumpertalk shows how someone did it for an under bar mount (universal mount kit for standard size bars, plus 2 inch ROX risers);
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/398...ering-dampner/

Under bar or over bar you will need to weld on the damper post. Note that to make this kit work under bar you will need to buy 2 inch risers as well. Over bar fitment for standard bars might be a little bit flexy according to some?

I get the impression that the Ralle-moto kit would be less hassle to fit than the Scotts Kit because they appear to have a clamp on post rather than weld on post. This might not be a big difference if you have easy access to a welder

I think the damper is great on my other trail bike, but I haven't used it enough on the dr650 to make judgement. If it saves me from one big crash then to me it is worth it, especially after some recent health issues have highlighted how valuable a fully functional body is. Easily sold for good money 2nd hand if the trial is a failure and you think it is useless.

Enjoy the trip!
snatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #70735
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
New spokes

I need some new spokes for a 21" front rim, OEM seems to be in the $50 range, anyone know of a better source?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #70736
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 861
So I replaced a rear fender this weekend, all seemed to be pretty straightforwad. The only way I saw to get the light off was to cut the 3 lines and then re-attach. I did that and have checked and rechecked to make sure they have a good connection and are paired correctly. They are, but now my taillight and rear signals aren't working. I didnt even touch the lines to the signals. Any ideas on where I screwed the pooch here?
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #70737
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelers View Post
in overall capability, which other bikes do you guys think are most directly comparable to the dr?
xr650l, F650GS

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #70738
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,448
Thanks for the replies re the damper.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #70739
quick'n'dirty
n00b

Oddometer: 3
hi, i was hopeing you guys could help me out. i was checking my sparkplugs when a small amount of dirt fell into the combustion chamber and the dirt from around that area seemed a bit sandy too. will this destroy the engine or will it just blow out of there ? 2012 dr 650. thanks for your time
quick'n'dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #70740
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick'n'dirty View Post
hi, i was hopeing you guys could help me out. i was checking my sparkplugs when a small amount of dirt fell into the combustion chamber and the dirt from around that area seemed a bit sandy too. will this destroy the engine or will it just blow out of there ? 2012 dr 650. thanks for your time
I'm curious to know what the others think, but I'm inclined to say it'll be fine, just don't make a habit of letting that happen. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote