Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #70921
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Honestly, all of the switchgear on my bike needs a thorough cleaning or something... gummy... It sticks a lot... takes a few tries to cancel... The horn works once a week or so... the kill switch doesn't like to pop back out once pressed in...
I think you've answered your own question there,
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:34 AM   #70922
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Laugh WD-40 is your friend

Quote:
So, I have an interesting issue that's been plaguing me since I bought the bike. I'm having a problem getting the bike to start. I'll push the starter button with the key in and on. The clutch is in, the bike is in neutral, etc, but nothing happens. It doesn't even try to turn over. I'll press the button a few times, try turning the key on and off, and eventually, it'll start cranking and fire right up. I don't know if there's a short somewhere, but this seems fairly random. It doesn't seem to matter if the bike is really cold, been running for hours, or anything in between. It's a moderate inconvenience at this point, but if I stalled out in an intersection, it might be a bit more of an issue. Anyone else had this happen?
If you want to try the real lazymans approach first......squirt some WD-40 into all the switches and work them....the side stand switch, clutch switch, ignition switch, starter button, kill switch etc. Its a good habit to get into, and you'd be amazed what that will fix. I've did it MANY times over the years to switches on my bikes and others that were acting up, and they lasted forever afterwards. It also keeps switches working well if done on a regular basis.....which reminds me, I need to give some of my switches their annual spray
Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 AM   #70923
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
I did this with my horn button. It wasn't working, I sprayed some WD-40 into the horn button, and it's been working for the past 8 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
If you want to try the real lazymans approach first......squirt some WD-40 into all the switches and work them....the side stand switch, clutch switch, ignition switch, starter button, kill switch etc. Its a good habit to get into, and you'd be amazed what that will fix. I've did it MANY times over the years to switches on my bikes and others that were acting up, and they lasted forever afterwards. It also keeps switches working well if done on a regular basis.....which reminds me, I need to give some of my switches their annual spray
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #70924
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,256
The people here seem to know more about ADVRider site than most, so I'll ask:

Does anyone remember a post somewhere on ADVRider that compares weights of different dualsport bikes?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #70925
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
A friend bought a used KTM 400 with a Tubliss set up, front and rear. The problem with it, is that you have to air up every time you go riding. The 100 psi sealing ring leaks down after a day or so. Try finding a 100psi hose on an adventure camping ride. It's really for offroad competition IMO, to prevent tubes getting pinch flats in a race.

He took them off the bike in less than a month.
I have to air mine up about as often as I do my tubed bikes. I use the same MTN bike pump on my Tubliss bladder as I do on my tubed tires. Don't need a 100 PSI hose.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #70926
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I have to air mine up about as often as I do my tubed bikes. I use the same MTN bike pump on my Tubliss bladder as I do on my tubed tires. Don't need a 100 PSI hose.
I wonder if his had a problem. He's the only person that I ever knew who had them.

He got the with a used bike and he figured that was how they were.

This is a good time to ask, what is a good, reasonably priced compact tire pump that can be carried in a tool pack. My old "Double Shot" is. well: Shot.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #70927
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Sounds like my kind of plan there. To the garage!
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #70928
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
I wonder if his had a problem. He's the only person that I ever knew who had them.

This is a good time to ask, what is a good, reasonably priced compact tire pump that can be carried in a tool pack. My old "Double Shot" is. well: Shot.
I got this one last year. It's the best I've found.
http://www.lezyne.com/products/hand-...e#!Alloy-Drive
Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #70929
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 509
Quote:

Does anyone remember a post somewhere on ADVRider that compares weights of different dualsport bikes?

This one?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=weight

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #70930
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

I know I've seen many threads with weights listed. Some are of all ADV bikes (large and small), others just dual sport singles.

You may even find that info right on this thread ... but good luck tracking it down. That info would be good for your DR650 Index thread ... a quick and easy to find comparo! I hope you can include all the 600 class KTM's and Huskies too. They are, in fact, much heavier than most want to admit to. If I run across a good list of weights I'll PM the link to you.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #70931
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I'll look up some how-to's on ditching those safety switches. I don't believe I've yet even tried to take off on a bike with the side stand down, so that's probably okay to ditch at this point. All the lights and everything fire right up with the key, and if it helps, I've also replaced the battery within the last month, and that didn't seem to make any difference.

Honestly, all of the switchgear on my bike needs a thorough cleaning or something. The turn signal switch is...gummy I guess. It sticks a lot and takes a few tries to cancel. The horn works once a week or so, and the kill switch doesn't like to pop back out once pressed in. Some electrical grease and an afternoon might be the cure for what ails me this time.
When your bike won't start ... try turning the handlebars a bit, then try to start again. Move them again, try several positions. If it starts then you know that either the wiring loom is abraded somewhere near the steering stem or the wires to the ignition switch may be coming loose.

WD40 on all the safety switches can solve a lot of problems. Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #70932
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
Yes, that's the one. I was trying to find the Montessa VR guy, but couldn't remember his name. closest I got was Meteor...sumpthin'. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #70933
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I hope you can include all the 600 class KTM's and Huskies too. They are, in fact, much heavier than most want to admit to.
Have you seen the weight of the new Husqvarna Terra? 405 lbs.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #70934
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, they do lose air over time, just like tubes do. Not gonna be like cast aluminum street bike tubless setups that hardly lose any air at all.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #70935
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:

This was posted a little while back: Those were weights that people actually reported that weighed them. The 690 R's weigh 13 lbs more then the older Enduro's

I do know that my DR feels like a tank compared to my 690, a big part of that is the 690 has the fuel tank under the seat which makes a huge difference in handling.

Make Model Curb weight in pounds (engine hp/torque)
Husqvarna TE630 318 (57/41)
KTM 690R 331 (65/49)
BMW G650X 346 (53/44)
Honda XR650L 346 (31/30)
Suzuki DR650 366 (37/34)
BMW G650GS 422 (48/44)
Kawasaki KLR650 432 (34/31)