Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #70966
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
I can't speak for everyone but I wouldn't care how many ounces a set of fully adjustable cartridge forks and a twin clicker rear shock added.

Tech23
So long as you don't mind paying $8K for it then.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #70967
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

I would be willing to entertain the possibility of a Linkage-Less system as it does save weight and cost. But even KTM have gone back to Linkage rear suspension on their top Moto Cross bikes.

Now why is that?
Monster table top and big double jumps for one. Their enduro and trail bikes are still using linkage-less which works great for those applications.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #70968
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
Maybe DR750/800 had twins but can only find single for DR650
I saw a bike once that was made somewhere like England/ Australia that was a supermoto from the ground up and it had a DR650 motor- WITH dual carbs! I think the name of it started with a "C". Can't remember. I was on my DR and pulled up next to it..was looking back and forth at the engine and sure enough it was a DR650 engine..I remember thinking I needed to get my hands on that cylinder head!

Then I remembered how much I disliked fiddling with carbs and thought 1 was enough!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #70969
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I saw a bike once that was made somewhere like England/ Australia that was a supermoto from the ground up and it had a DR650 motor- WITH dual carbs! I think the name of it started with a "C". Can't remember. I was on my DR and pulled up next to it..was looking back and forth at the engine and sure enough it was a DR650 engine..I remember thinking I needed to get my hands on that cylinder head!

Then I remembered how much I disliked fiddling with carbs and thought 1 was enough!
The CCM 644 used the DR650 engine, apparently.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #70970
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

That is it! Good call!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #70971
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 624
I have done the Suzuki option lowering and installed a low seat on mine . Still wish it was a inch or more lower. I'm generally traveling heavy loaded and need stable footing.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustycage View Post
Slightly lower first, second and maybe third for me please. The rest is just fine.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #70972
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
A better seat and a larger tank. I can see why they downsized the tank "trying to save weight". I know they would advertise with the empty weight but I would like the extra range. I mean the dollar cost for us to purchase a larger tank can get silly just to add a few liters more. The seat !!! Everyone has their own horror story of the stock seat, all of the top rated replacement seats use a wider seat base.I have the Suzi Gel seat and its lower but no better. WHY OH WHY cant they change these .

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #70973
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Yep. Actually, it's the Freewind motor which is just like the DR650 except for the dual carbs, 2 intake ports and bigger valves.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #70974
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Regarding fuel injection on these bikes, there was a fellow on YouTube that mounted up a FI kit to his DR650. The company he bought it from basically did these pre-made FI kits for bikes based on engine size. The one he got was for 500-800cc engines (if I remember correctly) and was selling for not much more than the pumper carb goes for.
Long thread on DRriders about the Ecotrons EFI module, which was developed with help from members there, and which is now a commercial product.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #70975
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Laugh Battery tenders are a very good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I have been through 2 battery replacements for my '96. about 3 years per.

When the battery goes bad, the bike cranks, but won't start. Then it goes dead. After a charge, it starts and seems fine. Then the next time I went to start it, usually at least a week later, same problem. I think a marginal battery, with just enough juice to turn the motor over, doesn't have enough extra to fire the sparkplugs. Just an opinion. If you can try someone elses battery, even a smaller one, you can probably prove it is the battery. If the battery is over 3 years old, it's probably the culprit.
Keep the bike on a battery tender when parked and you'll get 8+ years of quick dependable starting out of a battery. I have the pigtails installed on all 4 of my bikes, so its super easy to plug them in when parked. I regularly get 8-10 years out of a battery, and the bikes all fire up instantly all the time...cold, hot or anything in between....a fully charged battery makes a BIG difference, my bikes jump to life
Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #70976
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Twin carb?
Yea, looks like you're right. Single carb on pre '96 DR650 too. I've only ever seen ONE pre 1996 DR650 on the road. It was a crazy friends bike from late 80's and it would never start with the kicker. A real PITA. I could have sworn he mentioned twin Carbs? It was fast ... when it ran!

I did see the Freewind when in the EU and can confirm they are twin Carb. Very cool little bike actually.

Someone mentioned CCM. I visited a multi-line dealer carrying CCM while in the UK. Brand new CCM's for sale ... and some really trick used ones too ... Cheap!

I believe some CCM's used a different motor? ... can't recall which? Rotax maybe? Anyway, cool bikes and you can still see them riding around England, but AFAIK, CCM is now closed. Valiant effort lads.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #70977
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Yea, looks like you're right. Single carb on pre '96 DR650 too. I've only ever seen ONE pre 1996 DR650 on the road. It was a crazy friends bike from late 80's and it would never start with the kicker. A real PITA. I could have sworn he mentioned twin Carbs? It was fast ... when it ran!

I did see the Freewind when in the EU and can confirm they are twin Carb. Very cool little bike actually.

Someone mentioned CCM. I visited a multi-line dealer carrying CCM while in the UK. Brand new CCM's for sale ... and some really trick used ones too ... Cheap!

I believe some CCM's used a different motor? ... can't recall which? Rotax maybe? Anyway, cool bikes and you can still see them riding around England, but AFAIK, CCM is now closed. Valiant effort lads.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clews_C...on_Motorcycles
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #70978
drakenstein
n00b

Oddometer: 4
balancer chain

New to advrider, Need some opinions on a balancer chain making a whining noise. I just got my 91dr650 out of the shop and the had replaced the cam chain and clutch and a few other odds and ends. When i pick it up they tell me that the balancer chain was making some noise so they went ahead and checked it and said it had some wear and would probably need to be changed in the next 10,000 miles but it was still in spec and that they tightened it up. Now though its whining like it could be too tight or something, Im wondering that if i ride for awhile will just loosen up and be normal or should i look into taking it back or to another shop.

thanks all.
drakenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #70979
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakenstein View Post
New to advrider, Need some opinions on a balancer chain making a whining noise. I just got my 91dr650 out of the shop and the had replaced the cam chain and clutch and a few other odds and ends. When i pick it up they tell me that the balancer chain was making some noise so they went ahead and checked it and said it had some wear and would probably need to be changed in the next 10,000 miles but it was still in spec and that they tightened it up. Now though its whining like it could be too tight or something, Im wondering that if i ride for awhile will just loosen up and be normal or should i look into taking it back or to another shop.

thanks all.
You should really be asking in the Pre-96 DR thread. 96 and up don't have balancer chains.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #70980
drakenstein
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
You should really be asking in the Pre-96 DR thread. 96 and up don't have balancer chains.
Noted, thanks.
drakenstein is offline   Reply With Quote