Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #71071
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i don't race and i don't ride off-road. for me, the dr650, set up as a motard, w/inwerted front forks and rebuilt rear shock, is a killer fun machine, that is i have zero problems becoming "at one" with. with fcr carb and upgraded intake/exhaust, it has enough power to get out of its own way, and is imminently tossable in the twisties. it will also cruise 80 w/no sweat, w/stock gearing. i am happy that whatever "flexible frame" issue it has are simply irrelevant for the type of street riding i do. do i love my ducati? yes. do i love my buell? yes. do i love my dr650? yes. will i love an aprilia sxv550 if i ever get one? hmmmm....

ymmv,

doug s.
If you ever did get a SXV 550 you would hate your DR. That being said, I like my 690 even more then I did the SXV.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #71072
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsrrider View Post
JMHO...... there is no real logic or rationale for even riding motorcycles in the first place......

The first rule of fight club.....there is no such thing as fight club.

Never speak of this again. If my wife were to see this,

Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #71073
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
My stock BST carb averages high 50's mpg. EFI is just an alternative and complicated way to meter fuel. Carbs work well. EFI works well.
My issue with carbs is that they vary so wildly from bike to bike, even if they're the same model. My bike has never come close to that kind of mileage. At least on my old EFI bikes, I never saw mileage more than a few mpg off what the other people on the forum got. Hell, I ran out of gas this weekend on a trip, filled her all the way back up, and figured that I only was averaging 37mpg on the highway compared to the 43-45 I get normally. No good reason for it, no indications as far as performance, etc. Every time you post something saying "it's not running right, what should I do," you get a lot of well-meaning responses (from people who truly do know their stuff) that all basically tell you to tear your carb apart and start swapping in different jets, needles, clip positions, etc until you get it running like you think it should. Having to take the carb out every time I need to make a modification like that is frustrating, and I've yet to get it running like other people say it should. With EFI, at least all I'd have to do is plug in a cable, download a map that the manufacturer sent me, and click UPLOAD. If it doesn't work, at least I didn't spend all that time stripping out cheap phillips screws and wrestling the carb back in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrepower View Post
. But where else can you find a bike that loaded up with Safari tank, Wolfman racks and bags can still put along at 130km on open road, go straight into off road, fall over and not break plastic fairings/radiator brackets and such.
Not the fastest bike, not the lightest bike, not the best looking bike, not the best handling bike, not the most comfortable bike, but the best bike I have ever owned!
After spending 500 miles on the open road with this bike this past weekend, I would say that's overselling it a bit. It can do highway if it absolutely has to, but mileage goes to hell, you've got to pin it to the stops going uphill, and the lack of any kind of wind/weather protection will wear you down in a hurry.

That said, I do mostly agree with your last sentence. It doesn't do anything spectacularly well, but it does a hell of a lot of stuff good, and it's a fun bike to ride.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #71074
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
My issue with carbs is that they vary so wildly from bike to bike, even if they're the same model. My bike has never come close to that kind of mileage. At least on my old EFI bikes, I never saw mileage more than a few mpg off what the other people on the forum got. Hell, I ran out of gas this weekend on a trip, filled her all the way back up, and figured that I only was averaging 37mpg on the highway compared to the 43-45 I get normally. No good reason for it, no indications as far as performance, etc. Every time you post something saying "it's not running right, what should I do," you get a lot of well-meaning responses (from people who truly do know their stuff) that all basically tell you to tear your carb apart and start swapping in different jets, needles, clip positions, etc until you get it running like you think it should. Having to take the carb out every time I need to make a modification like that is frustrating, and I've yet to get it running like other people say it should. With EFI, at least all I'd have to do is plug in a cable, download a map that the manufacturer sent me, and click UPLOAD. If it doesn't work, at least I didn't spend all that time stripping out cheap phillips screws and wrestling the carb back in place.
Once again, EFI doesn't guarantee any particular mileage and they can vary just as much as carbs. I've got a buddy who's owned 3 Versys, all 3 were '09 models, all of them stock. The first one averaged around 45 MPG, 2nd one around 36, the latest one around 42. Same bike, same style of riding, same gas.

On my FI 690, how I ride the bike makes a HUGE difference in mileage. I've got as little as 33 MPG out of it and as much as 50 MPG.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #71075
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,521
so i see that people say the Ecotrons kit is now truely a PnP yet
i still wonder why Procycle says they could not even get their bike to run right?
Jeff bought 2 kits. i assume he followed what others were doing and updated the FI tune on the unit?

let see some current install pictures of those who installed this new PnP kit and some reports (besides RCs)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #71076
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Once again, EFI doesn't guarantee any particular mileage and they can vary just as much as carbs. I've got a buddy who's owned 3 Versys, all 3 were '09 models, all of them stock. The first one averaged around 45 MPG, 2nd one around 36, the latest one around 42. Same bike, same style of riding, same gas.

On my FI 690, how I ride the bike makes a HUGE difference in mileage. I've got as little as 33 MPG out of it and as much as 50 MPG.
Obviously riding style is going to have a huge effect on it, but my issue with my carbed bike is that it even varies wildly with itself. For instance, my daily commute is almost entirely highway, and I average 43-45mpg. My trip this last weekend was almost all highway and 55mph back road type pavement, and I dropped down into the mid 30's. No really solid reason, not much of an elevation change, nothing. On my old EFI Ninja 650R, I could count on consistently getting 50-55mpg on the highway rain, shine, or wind. EFI just seems more consistent to me. Maybe my carb is messed up, but even that means I get to spend a few afternoons swapping jets around and adjusting float heights (which I still don't even remotely understand).
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
Old 11-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #71077
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
so i see that people say the Ecotrons kit is now truely a PnP yet
i still wonder why Procycle says they could not even get their bike to run right?
Jeff bought 2 kits. i assume he followed what others were doing and updated the FI tune on the unit?

let see some current install pictures of those who installed this new PnP kit and some reports (besides RCs)
I think the company's response was that Procycle and MXrob got the early prototype kits that were sent out so people could figure out how to make everything work with our bike.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #71078
eakins
Butler Maps

klr = adv, dr = trail ???
i'd say the DR is the #1 seller of a bike with a tag on it.
the crf250f is not street legal so why that even in the group?
no doubt suzuki just wants to keep making them as is, but eventually all the other mfg will pass them by with new models if they stick to this.

wait till we see the Husky Terra and Honda CRF250L sales numbers. those are both more modern bikes with aggressive prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrepower View Post
The first number after the bike type, is sales figures for 2011. The following figure is sales 2010. The % is obviously sales up or down. The KLR is the leading adventure bike at 553 units. The DR650 is number 2 on the trail bike list at 760 units up 8.1% on 2010. Not bad for an outdated, in need of a revamp model. Makes you wonder how anyone in the bike industry makes a dollar with total unit sales in all but 1, being under the 1000 units/year. Be interesting to see what the figures for 2012 will be. I know if these figures are reflected world wide to greater or lesser extent, you could safely say Suzuki won't be planning a major overhaul in the near future. You will find they in fact bring out a purpose built "Adventure" bike. But would you bother if the aged old design is outselling the best of the purpose built Adventure bikes. Food for thought?

Adventure Bikes
Kawasaki KLR650 553 561 -1.4%
Suzuki DL650A 269 265 1.5%
BMW R1200 GS 265 245 8.2%
Ducati MTS1200 224 211 6.2%
BMW G650 GS 219 214 2.3%
BMW F800 GS 212 216 -1.9%
Triumph Tiger 800 XC 206 0 100.0%
Yamaha XT660Z 203 223 -9.0%
Triumph TIGER 1050 166 124 33.9%
Yamaha XT1200Z 141 175 -19.4%
Trail Bikes
Honda CRF230F 980 1026 -4.5%
Suzuki DR650SE 760 703 8.1%
Yamaha TTR230 480 619 -22.5%
Yamaha XT250 211 222 -5.0%
Honda CRF230L 110 186 -40.9%
Suzuki DR-Z400S 65 72 -9.7%
Honda XR650L 17 13 30.8%
Husqvarna SM50 1 0 100.0%
Butler Maps website:
Old 11-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #71079
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,473
Quote:
klr = adv, dr = trail ???
i'd say the DR is the #1 seller of a bike with a tag on it.
the crf250f is not street legal so why that even in the group?
no doubt suzuki just wants to keep making them as is, but eventually all the other mfg will pass them by with new models if they stick to this.
He's quoting Australian data, and I believe the little Honda is a legal bike there.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #71080
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I think the company's response was that Procycle and MXrob got the early prototype kits that were sent out so people could figure out how to make everything work with our bike.
fair enough. we do that with our early revision maps and THEN send back out final revisions too. since MXrob and PC are 2 of the main DR gurus, i'd be sending them the fully updated kits so they can install and review...and sell.

that still leaves a hole in current users who have bought and installed the finalized kits? where are they??? we send out many hundreds of comp maps each year. why? because reviews are the #1 way things sell these days.
Butler Maps website:
Old 11-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #71081
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
He's quoting Australian data, and I believe the little Honda is a legal bike there.
got it. thnx
Butler Maps website:
Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #71082
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Tools for Engine Rebuild

Hi,

I am getting ready to do a case replacement on a 99 model next week. Can someone tell me what special tools I am going to need? I believe I am going to need at a minimum a flywheel/clutch puller and the puller to separate the case halves.

For this that have done a complete tear-down and rebuild, what have you needed? FYI, not looking for shortcuts, I don't mind buying the tools I am going to need. Also, what glues and chemicals have you found to be useful?

Any info greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #71083
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
that still leaves a hole in current users who have bought and installed the finalized kits? where are they??? we send out many hundreds of comp maps each year. why? because reviews are the #1 way things sell these days.
While my bike is my main form of transportation, I do have a car I can use while the bike is being worked on. Come tax season, I could see myself throwing some money towards this. If it really is ready to just bolt up and go with some maps updated, then the bike shouldn't be down for more than a few days anyways, right ?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #71084
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
I know what you're saying, Grifter, but I still don't think it is that out of date. Most 650's don't have the best suspension. Newer 650's are more powerful, but that's due to liquid cooling, higher RPMs, different cam profiles, oversized valves, high compression / premium fuel, etc.
If you take the motor out of the equation, what is a bike? A chassis, two wheels, suspension, seat, fuel tank, and handlebars. I don't think there have really been many substantial advances in bikes in quite a while. The underseat fuel tank is clever, but can't gravity feed our carb and makes for difficult tank size increases.

Weight-wise, the DR holds it's own in the class. Suspenders are budget, but can be nicely improved for a reasonable price.

Frankly, I'm terrified of a real DR update. Everything I love about the DR will likely be gone. For my target riding style, the DR is the best bike available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
+1
And (for me) improving the shortcomings is almost as fun and rewarding as riding it.
I fear an update as well. And I also agree ... simple upgrades make such a huge difference, really puts the DR UP a couple notches in over all capability.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #71085
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
have you ever ridden a TM 400 Suzuki? what about a Bultaco? I have, I will still push my DR hard but i enjoy it
A friend owns a KLR 650 and he woulnd't take it 1/2 half the places I take my DR. If your truly not happy with it sell it and get something else , thats what I would do .

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
Absolutely!

The fact that I consider the DR the worst bike I have ever owned (probably ridden too), does not mean that I have not enjoyed the trips I have taken with it. If one accepts its flaws and limitations, and simply treats it as a vehicle for exploring far away places and new locales, then the DR is as fine a machine as anything out there.

But if one is looking for a bike to connect with, to explore his and its limits, to feel one with the road and progress as a rider, then the DR fails miserably -- and, for me at least, no matter how many upgrades one carries out on the DR, it will still be a failure on that nebulous concept of being one with the bike.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote