Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #71296
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,831
Not that this means anything to anyone, but I find my DR particularly sluggish and questionable in handling when down near the recommended tire pressures. I run Shinko 705's and well, but my front in in the higher 20's (like 28?), and my rear low 30's. Obviously I air down if I'm off road.

I don't know what the effect of these pressures will be on the 705's, but I just can't go back to low 20's on the front (rear doesn't matter I guess, I could probably run it in the mid 20's and not care), especially not without having to pump a little more air into the front far too often just t keep it from getting really bad feeling.
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #71297
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Not that this means anything to anyone, but I find my DR particularly sluggish and questionable in handling when down near the recommended tire pressures. I run Shinko 705's and well, but my front in in the higher 20's (like 28?), and my rear low 30's. Obviously I air down if I'm off road.

I don't know what the effect of these pressures will be on the 705's, but I just can't go back to low 20's on the front (rear doesn't matter I guess, I could probably run it in the mid 20's and not care), especially not without having to pump a little more air into the front far too often just t keep it from getting really bad feeling.
I run mine 28/30 and they haven't given me any grief yet. If you pump them up to street tire pressures, they handle dang good on the road, and I don't even bother airing them down when I go off road. You'd be surprised how little off road ability they lose when you don't air them down.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #71298
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I run mine 28/30 and they haven't given me any grief yet. If you pump them up to street tire pressures, they handle dang good on the road, and I don't even bother airing them down when I go off road. You'd be surprised how little off road ability they lose when you don't air them down.
Just glad to hear I wasn't the only one going to the crazy end of pressures compared to what so many recommend, lol. Thanks.

By the way, is that an acerbis front fender (if so, which?) and higher bars on your bike? I'm thinking about trying a higher rise set of bars.
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #71299
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
I run mine at 26/28 so I'm pretty close. If I carry a lot of stuff, I go up to 28/30. But like you, I don't air down either unless it gets soft (e.g. sandy).

I'm still working on wearing out my Shinko 700's so I can switch to my fresh set of 705's on my spare wheelset. Then I'll put some T63's on the current wheelset to save for super-gnarly stuff that doesn't get attacked by my KLX250S.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #71300
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
+1

But, I think we all know that nothing that has been of anykind of help to John. He doen't listen or even attempt to take into consideration that his problem may be something besides his so called frame flex. All he has done is replyed to you when you try to help him in a way to discount what you have written. He said he can tell the difference.

I think we should all say goodbye to John and let him go and if we are lucky he will unload his pos bike and never post on this thread again. I have followed this thread off and on for a few years and again just the other day and got to see his first post about his frame flex. His writing of this so called flex makes no sence at all, I don't care how good he writes. His writing has added nothing to help anyone who has a DR650 or is looking to buy one. Would be nice if the mods would just delete every post dealing with him and his bike in this thread. Including this one.

Besides. I just picked a 2001 DR650 yesterday and I am willing to learn from you guys, I am sure I will have some more questions. I know motorcycles, but never rode a DR until yesterday and I'm sure I have a learning curve, but I like it. I need to do some thinks to it to make it as comfortable as my KLR. Should not be too much of a problem, all I need is a custom seat by me and some ape hanger handle bars, I mean risers. Then ride it and make a choice on which to keep, my KLR or DR. I hope the DR because I am wanting the simplisity of the DR, air cooled. I think it is a great bike and looking forward to riding.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #71301
Steve in Santa Fe
Steve in Santa Fe

Oddometer: 10
High Mileage?

Greetings all,

I am looking at a 2005 DR 650 that has 24,000 miles. (Mostly highway as a commuter).
The guy has full records and the bike looks well cared for.

Question: IS 24K high mileage for a DR 650 engine that has been maintained?
(I have an old BMW Boxer, where 24K is barely broken in, so my thinking may be off.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve in Santa Fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #71302
planemanx15
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Santa Fe View Post
Greetings all,

I am looking at a 2005 DR 650 that has 24,000 miles. (Mostly highway as a commuter).
The guy has full records and the bike looks well cared for.

Question: IS 24K high mileage for a DR 650 engine that has been maintained?
(I have an old BMW Boxer, where 24K is barely broken in, so my thinking may be off.

Thanks,
Steve

Not at all. I have 28,XXX bought it with 20,000 and thought that might be high. Just change the fluids (oil) and check the valves. You could also check the fork and shock oil, new brake fluid, and check the jetting if its been messed with. Change the plugs and air filter and it will run fine.
2003 BMW R1150RT - The new beast
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #71303
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Just glad to hear I wasn't the only one going to the crazy end of pressures compared to what so many recommend, lol. Thanks.

By the way, is that an acerbis front fender (if so, which?) and higher bars on your bike? I'm thinking about trying a higher rise set of bars.
I believe this is the acerbis front fender. I haven't seen a stock one in person, but I believe the PO said he changed mine out. It's not bad, but if you catch a crosswind on the highway, you'll feel it in the bars.

The bars are Protaper 7/8 bars with the Henry/Reed bend. They were on there when I got the bike, and I believe they're on some kind of bar risers. Not having a stock bike to compare to makes it very difficult to judge just what made a different or even what originally came on the bike lol. I like the 7/8 bars over the fat bar type bars because I use that 1/2" cross bar to mount my RAM mount stuff. Very handy.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #71304
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I run mine at 26/28 so I'm pretty close. If I carry a lot of stuff, I go up to 28/30. But like you, I don't air down either unless it gets soft (e.g. sandy).

I'm still working on wearing out my Shinko 700's so I can switch to my fresh set of 705's on my spare wheelset. Then I'll put some T63's on the current wheelset to save for super-gnarly stuff that doesn't get attacked by my KLX250S.

Rob
I've found that once it gets sandy/soft, my 705's are so out of their league that I just need to push the poor bike out and try another route. I'm probably going to get a sumo set and then keep the 21/17 stock tires around to run D606's or T63's. How are you liking the 700's?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #71305
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Ring Nut Wrench

Inmates,

I need to get my hands on a 09917-23711 ring nut socket by next Friday. Son is flying in to town to help with a full rebuild and cannot locate this tool anywhere. Will be happy to purchase used if you have one you're no longer using, or would even be happy to rent it from you if you'll take a deposit + shipping from me for the trouble. Please get in touch if you have it.

By the by, anyone know the actual diamter of the socket? It's not the same part number as the ring nut on the steering head. If I can size it, I might be able to find a generic version elsewhere.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #71306
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmarkart View Post
Nothing was wrong except a clogged pilot. Cleaned it out (along with everything else) and bike runs like it was brand new.
I'm glad to hear.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #71307
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,995
Quote:
Just wanted to say -

I did a overnight pine-sol soak and carb cleaning (and got all the stuff to do a rebuild, didn't need any of it) per several suggestions, thanks Er-07s-2, and others for the copious help. Nothing was wrong except a clogged pilot. Cleaned it out (along with everything else) and bike runs like it was brand new. Amazing what a little speck-o-dirt can do. Ill be adding a gas filter ASAP. Though I didn't do anything except clean, I am glad I took on the project. I feel a lot better about fixing my carb (or hot-rodding it) on my own now that I have fully disassembled and cleaned and reassembled successfully. Thanks to everyone who suggested it (it really wasn't bad, I have never touched the carb on any of my bikes before) and the kind fellow who wrote the BST-40 Bible.
Thanks for the follow-up. It's always fun when someone hits the 'AHA' moment.

Quote:
Oh, and it does work better with beer.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #71308
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Bearing question

Are there any "real" differences as to which bearings I put in my DR650? I see I can buy aftermarket bearing for less than half the cost of the OEM. I don't mind paying more if the product is superior. The DR is a keeper to me, and I ride a lot, 20K miles a yr. Any recomendations? I plan on doing steering, front/back wheels and possibly the linkage. Thanks again for any input.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #71309
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
search FAG

I saw one of the guys with industrial experience recommend FAG bearings as superior to all others on their equipment.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #71310
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Are there any "real" differences as to which bearings I put in my DR650? I see I can buy aftermarket bearing for less than half the cost of the OEM. I don't mind paying more if the product is superior. The DR is a keeper to me, and I ride a lot, 20K miles a yr. Any recomendations? I plan on doing steering, front/back wheels and possibly the linkage. Thanks again for any input.
I just get mine from a local bearing supply place. Paid $28 for both wheel bearing sets and the carrier bearing. From what I've seen, anything's better then the crappy OEM bearings.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote