Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #71311
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Best DR ever!
Love the rear suspension. Maybe Jay should pick this one up to continue his journey.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #71312
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,115
Yeah I never saw it in person, but the guy from here who bought it was an ideal match for it. He could actually touch the ground
Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #71313
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Hi Jay,

You have considered the side-stand "Safety" switch and related diode? You cant just override the switch but must remove the diode relay. There is discussion somewhere on this site regarding that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Need your advice, fellow DR riders:

As you may know, I was having electrical problems with my bike in western Tanzania (she's a 1998 with 74,000+ miles). She was dying after a few minutes of running and a reworked carb, a newer CDI, rectifier and ignition coil didn't solve the problem, so I figured it was the stator. I got a new stator shipped in, the 250W uprated one and installed that along with slightly-newer parts from parted DRs: a CDI from a 2006 and a rectifier from a 2001. After those parts, she fired up and sounded really good. I did 50 kms of test rides and was confident the problem was solved, so got back on the trail heading south.

But now, after 400 kms (250 miles), the problem is back. She died on me today in the middle of muddy roads. It felt like a loss of power. I let her cool, we rode a bit more and then she died again. I figured since I didn't replace the original ignition coil, maybe it was acting up now. I put in the coil from the 2001 bike and she died again in a few kms. Then I unplugged the generator and we ran for a while before same failure. Then I unplugged the rectifier and we ran fine for a few kms before she died again. The longer I let her cool down before trying again, the longer she lasts before dying again. To me, this sounds like something is heating up and causing the loss of power. It doesn't feel like a fuel (carb) issue. It feels like something is cutting power to the spark plugs. I limped her back to a small town.

I'm running on the Shorai battery and have a voltage monitor and after unplugging both stator and rectifier, battery was holding charge at 13.45 and after two starts with no stator, it dropped to 13.35 V.

I have a replacement wiring harness from the 2006 bike. Is mounting that on going to help? That's all I can think of now. I'm close to throwing in the towel and putting her on a truck and heading back to a good mechanic in Nairobi. Argghhh!!!!

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #71314
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Pissed Hair pullin'

Quote:

As you may know, I was having electrical problems with my bike in western Tanzania (she's a 1998 with 74,000+ miles). She was dying after a few minutes of running and a reworked carb, a newer CDI, rectifier and ignition coil didn't solve the problem, so I figured it was the stator. I got a new stator shipped in, the 250W uprated one and installed that along with slightly-newer parts from parted DRs: a CDI from a 2006 and a rectifier from a 2001. After those parts, she fired up and sounded really good. I did 50 kms of test rides and was confident the problem was solved, so got back on the trail heading south.

But now, after 400 kms (250 miles), the problem is back. She died on me today in the middle of muddy roads. It felt like a loss of power. I let her cool, we rode a bit more and then she died again. I figured since I didn't replace the original ignition coil, maybe it was acting up now. I put in the coil from the 2001 bike and she died again in a few kms. Then I unplugged the generator and we ran for a while before same failure. Then I unplugged the rectifier and we ran fine for a few kms before she died again. The longer I let her cool down before trying again, the longer she lasts before dying again. To me, this sounds like something is heating up and causing the loss of power. It doesn't feel like a fuel (carb) issue. It feels like something is cutting power to the spark plugs. I limped her back to a small town.

I'm running on the Shorai battery and have a voltage monitor and after unplugging both stator and rectifier, battery was holding charge at 13.45 and after two starts with no stator, it dropped to 13.35 V.

I have a replacement wiring harness from the 2006 bike. Is mounting that on going to help? That's all I can think of now. I'm close to throwing in the towel and putting her on a truck and heading back to a good mechanic in Nairobi. Argghhh!!!!
That is terrible!
It does certainly seem to indicate a heat soak problem.

Do you remember reading the electrical problems the rider on the KTM had going from South Africa to the Arctic Circle?

He replaced just about everything electrical on his bike as he slowly made his way north but it wasn't until he got to England where he replaced the wiring harness only to find, finally, that the problem was the voltage regulator.

His bike had FI and the voltage spike was throwing the computer into a fail mode.

Now, the DR is simple in comparison but you are suffering an extremely rare problem too.
Could it be something as simple as the voltage regulator on your bike?
Bad spark plugs?
Bad plug wires? (I had brand new OEM plug wires installed in my car that went bad in one week, replaced free)
Bad voltage reg?
Bad insulation on a wire that is shorting out on the frame when the wire gets hot?

Your location makes it very difficult to diagnose and replacement parts are not available to experiment with.
I wish I could offer a solution that will solve the problem but I can't.
Only to offer more possibilities to check.

I would certainly replace the harness if you have an alternate one to try.
Could possibly solve the problem...
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #71315
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Yeah I never saw it in person, but the guy from here who bought it was an ideal match for it. He could actually touch the ground

At least that bike had no frame flex.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #71316
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post

At least that bike had no frame flex.
I thought it was Julio's but if the bike fits
Old 11-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #71317
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Love the rear suspension. Maybe Jay should pick this one up to continue his journey.
Ha! If it runs, I'll take it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
Hi Jay,
You have considered the side-stand "Safety" switch and related diode? You cant just override the switch but must remove the diode relay. There is discussion somewhere on this site regarding that.
Hi, yup, I think I removed the relay when I did this mod, way back before the trip started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
That is terrible!
It does certainly seem to indicate a heat soak problem.
Now, the DR is simple in comparison but you are suffering an extremely rare problem too.
Could it be something as simple as the voltage regulator on your bike?
Bad spark plugs?
Bad plug wires? (I had brand new OEM plug wires installed in my car that went bad in one week, replaced free)
Bad voltage reg?
Bad insulation on a wire that is shorting out on the frame when the wire gets hot?
I would certainly replace the harness if you have an alternate one to try.
Could possibly solve the problem...
Hey James, yeah, so frustrating that I can't pinpoint the problem, after throwing so much at it. I feel replacing the harness is going to be a bigger job than I can manage where I'm at now. Looking into trucking her out of here.

I replaced my original regulator with a take-off from a 2001 bike from South Africa. The owner couldn't say how good the part was, and it was all I had to go with. It ran fine for the last 250 miles. I unplugged the regulator (and the stator) and the bike was running better, but still cut out again after 10 miles.

Is there some other electrical component (relay, etc) that would cause a power loss?

I replaced a spark plug, have a different ignition coil with plug wires from a 2001 bike and that didn't solve the problem.
Poor girl, she's really suffering

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #71318
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:

Sounds like an electrical component of some type. How would you know you ask? Years ago I worked in an electronic factory producing pcb boards for use in computer printers. We would trouble shoot down to the component level and my job was testing and repair of the boards before they went into the printers. a common problem was defective chips that would fail after they heated up during the runnin test. These were pretty hard to locate so we would use canned freon on the chips to cool them down as the board was running and almost a 100 percent of the time when the freon was placed on the correct chip the problem was found as the device would start running correctly and when the freon was removed and the chip was let to heat up again the device would start to fail again. I don;t know what it could be but it could even be a defective fuse,spark plug,ect. One thing that was common was the more you ran it the worse it would get. Depending on the degee of defectiveness you start with when a total failure occured it would have a tendancy to take out ajoining components. Start with these simple solutions change all the fuses, Revist all the grounding points on the bike and get a good battery to test with. Also check all the wires for abrasion, Then test. If it still fails move to the component level. Start with what you haven't changed yet. I know you will say I already did this but you should start over step bt step. If you can get a can of freon it may help. Just my two cents.
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #71319
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
I hesitantly and rather expensively ordered it from the dealer. I'll post the specs when it shows up. I found some rather inexpensive options in a 45 and 46mm...Be a shame if they turn out to be a match as they're about 1/12th the price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
I am also interested in the dimensions of the ring nut. I believe you can make one by starting with a large socket and doing some machine work. does anybody know what size socket to start with, or what the diameter of the ring nut socket is?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #71320
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Okay, okay, so there IS flex! Wrong again, my bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Old 11-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #71321
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-P View Post
Okay, okay, so there IS flex! Wrong again, my bad!
That's more like "sag" than flex. Someone ride it hard over a speed bump and put it out of its misery.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #71322
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
So when I was removing the charcoal canister, I broke the fitting on the bottom of the carb that the hose goes to. Am I screwed? Can I epoxy it tojust plug it or am sol. I fired it up and it doesn't seem to suck any air. But the fitting is brass and has a hole through it.

Any help would be helpful. just need to know if I broke a vent fitting, or a vacuum fitting.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #71323
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
That's more like "sag" than flex. Someone ride it hard over a speed bump and put it out of its misery.
It has no misery left.
It was parted out by a member here...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #71324
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
It has no misery left.
It was parted out by a member here...
Tell me it was built as a joke, right?
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #71325
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
Any help would be helpful. just need to know if I broke a vent fitting, or a vacuum fitting.

I'm not sure what you have there- never worked on a Calif. bike.

BUT, looking at the shop manual diagram: If it is the port on the bottom of the carb toward the front I believe that is what they call the "purge port". It takes the charcoal canister vapor and sucks it back through the engine. It may only have vaccum when the engine is picked up off idle (throttle blade is opened). Have somone rev the engine while you put your finger over it. It may be light and hard to feel with your finger.
Mongle is online now   Reply With Quote