Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #71326
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
It is a vacuum fitting. If you're abandoning the system, then at least plug the hole to prevent foriegn matter intrusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
Any help would be helpful. just need to know if I broke a vent fitting, or a vacuum fitting.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #71327
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,459
Jessepitt took a great pic of his non-Kalifornia BST, it looks like you can just epoxy it shut.

Photo from here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=71

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #71328
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Need your advice, fellow DR riders:

As you may know, I was having electrical problems with my bike in western Tanzania (she's a 1998 with 74,000+ miles). She was dying after a few minutes of running and a reworked carb, a newer CDI, rectifier and ignition coil didn't solve the problem, so I figured it was the stator. I got a new stator shipped in, the 250W uprated one and installed that along with slightly-newer parts from parted DRs: a CDI from a 2006 and a rectifier from a 2001. After those parts, she fired up and sounded really good. I did 50 kms of test rides and was confident the problem was solved, so got back on the trail heading south.

But now, after 400 kms (250 miles), the problem is back. She died on me today in the middle of muddy roads. It felt like a loss of power. I let her cool, we rode a bit more and then she died again. I figured since I didn't replace the original ignition coil, maybe it was acting up now. I put in the coil from the 2001 bike and she died again in a few kms. Then I unplugged the generator and we ran for a while before same failure. Then I unplugged the rectifier and we ran fine for a few kms before she died again. The longer I let her cool down before trying again, the longer she lasts before dying again. To me, this sounds like something is heating up and causing the loss of power. It doesn't feel like a fuel (carb) issue. It feels like something is cutting power to the spark plugs. I limped her back to a small town.

I'm running on the Shorai battery and have a voltage monitor and after unplugging both stator and rectifier, battery was holding charge at 13.45 and after two starts with no stator, it dropped to 13.35 V.

I have a replacement wiring harness from the 2006 bike. Is mounting that on going to help? That's all I can think of now. I'm close to throwing in the towel and putting her on a truck and heading back to a good mechanic in Nairobi. Argghhh!!!!
Man, that's bad luck! You've replaced just about everything it seems. Hard to know where to look. I suspect a bad Pick-Up coil (ignitor) ... within the stator. Maybe swap in another from the other stator? They can be intermittent, from what I've heard. Maybe heat related?

Got to be heat related issue as she starts after cool down, no?
Could also be Rectifier/Regulator ... but I know you replaced that too.
But using 2nd hand donated parts ... its sometimes not possible to know if they are "known good". Not an easy situation ...

I know you wired in a bunch of switches in your dash. Could anything there be shorting or in anyway screwing things up? Also ... when you modded your dash, did you mod the ignition switch? I was thinking of that little hidden resistor (anti-theft) under the switch. It interfaces into the harness and goes to CDI ... if shorted or missing ... bike won't start. I doubt it is intermittent though. More mystery.

When you swap out the harness ... take care that little resistor.

But I keep coming back to the Pick-Up coil (ignitor)

Good luck ... I hope you solve it!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #71329
C/W
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Look at the existing harness and check for any frayed wires.

In particular, look at the wiring of the ignition switch (where your key goes) and where the wires bends around the steering stem. You have an older bike so any areas of flex (steering) may pose a problem purely because of wear. I had a cb750 that occasionally died & restarted right away. The problem was a worn connection into a molex connector that disconnected when turning slightly left.

The obvious areas of shorts are ignition switch, kill switch, clutch switch, side stand switch.

There's not a lot of wiring, may as well take a good look at it all.

Quote:

As you may know, I was having electrical problems with my bike in western Tanzania (she's a 1998 with 74,000+ miles). She was dying after a few minutes of running and a reworked carb, a newer CDI, rectifier and ignition coil didn't solve the problem, so I figured it was the stator. I got a new stator shipped in, the 250W uprated one and installed that along with slightly-newer parts from parted DRs: a CDI from a 2006 and a rectifier from a 2001. After those parts, she fired up and sounded really good. I did 50 kms of test rides and was confident the problem was solved, so got back on the trail heading south.

But now, after 400 kms (250 miles), the problem is back. She died on me today in the middle of muddy roads. It felt like a loss of power. I let her cool, we rode a bit more and then she died again. I figured since I didn't replace the original ignition coil, maybe it was acting up now. I put in the coil from the 2001 bike and she died again in a few kms. Then I unplugged the generator and we ran for a while before same failure. Then I unplugged the rectifier and we ran fine for a few kms before she died again. The longer I let her cool down before trying again, the longer she lasts before dying again. To me, this sounds like something is heating up and causing the loss of power. It doesn't feel like a fuel (carb) issue. It feels like something is cutting power to the spark plugs. I limped her back to a small town.

I'm running on the Shorai battery and have a voltage monitor and after unplugging both stator and rectifier, battery was holding charge at 13.45 and after two starts with no stator, it dropped to 13.35 V.

I have a replacement wiring harness from the 2006 bike. Is mounting that on going to help? That's all I can think of now. I'm close to throwing in the towel and putting her on a truck and heading back to a good mechanic in Nairobi. Argghhh!!!!
C/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #71330
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,113
Jammin

In addition to the other excellent suggestions, check the white 2 pin conector to the coil under the tank. And are you absolutely sure its not running out of fuel in the carb when it stops? How about the kill switch contacts?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #71331
DRT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Jammin

Second the checking of fuel flow to the carb.

In particular check the filter sock that is right at the junction of the fuel line and the carb. My was clogged once and was doing something pretty close to what your symptoms sound like.
As the float level got too low the power would cut out so abruptly that i was convinced there was an electrical problem.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #71332
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
I've got a 2009 DR650 with 40,000 miles. I'm feeling/hearing a "clunk" when I get on the front brakes hard, I'm thinking I might need to replace my steering bearings?
Not necessarily.

Do you have the Service Manual? The only thing you may have to do is tighten the steering stem nut (page 5-20, item 7). After you do this, check for any tight spots as you rotate the triple clamps; if the bearings feel smooth, then you're set. Double-check for play in the bearings -- follow the cautionary note at the bottom of page 5-26.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #71333
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
Tyre pressures are proportional to rider weight, so a 250-lb rider should certainly be using higher tyre pressures than a 150-lb rider. And indeed, underinflating tyres will make for a sub-standard handling bike.
You know, it hit me as I was doing a bank and grocery run on the DR650 today that I should have added that I'm no heavy-weight, and the bike isn't 'loaded down.'

And it sorta seems like the Shinko 705 owners are reporting running over suggested pressures, by a good degree, more than any other tire make.

I'm about 185 pounds... and aside from the 7 pounds of lard and two pounds of cube steak I had on the bike today (above and beyond my own lard and tube steak), it runs pretty stock weights normally. Yet, probably mostly due to the front tire/wheel's feel, I run my tires like I wrote earlier - high 20's front, 30 or 32 rear.

I'm not advocating it, or saying it's safe, or anything, but I'm damned glad to know other guys are feeling what I am feeling out of the 705's, and doing the same. When I die from a horrible fire-ry crash due to it, I'll report back here and say "Don't do that" ... but until then I'm going to run what feels good to me for turning and cornering.

It also hit me that a part of this may me a slightly flexier tire build (since thus far it's mostly 705 guys) coupled with a weak front suspension. Maybe some part of it is trying to make up for just a too smushy front end, but then that really doesn't explain why I did it ... which was to counter what I was feeling in the tire during even mild and slow transitions.

Probably all of us who have reported running them that high on relatively stock bikes would be better served with a set of SM wheels and tires, or a 19" front and street tire, (and a suspension upgrade) to counter what we're feeling up to the point at which we want to take our bikes off road. But no matter... airing the 21" 705 up just seems OK enough that I don't really care. Well, OK enough that I don't care for now - I'd still like the tire to 'feel' the way it does now, but with a fork spring upgrade (or emulators, or... other forks).

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 04:02 PM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #71334
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Tell me it was built as a joke, right?

Not sure, some redneck engineering and meth were likely involved. I picked that up years ago from a local classified ad, kept the wheels and parted the rest.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #71335
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:

Jay,

Sorry the bike is given you a hard time dude.
You have a lot to check from all the other ideas.
I have a couple to add.
Check the spark plug caps and coils for cracks.
If you can run it in the dark might want to do so while looking at the spark plug caps and the coil. If they are cracked you should see the sparks. Gets worse the hotter the bike gets until it cuts out.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #71336
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
So late last week I made it to Tucson on my DR. My tires (especially the rear) were significantly flat-spotted. So I rolled into town needing a new rear and possibly a new front. Tucson - border town, right? So I decided to gear up for the road south.

I checked FOUR different dealerships in Tucson for tires. ONLY tires. Here is what I found:

1. The big dealership chain in town with two locations had NO 17" rear tires under 140-profile in stock. They could order them for me with a 5 day turn around.
2. The #2 dealership in town along the I10 corridor had ONE pair of tires, shelf-aged, at FULL markup including full labor markup. This was a Pirelli MT90 and a Gripster 130/70. I paid them $$$ for the service of having my chain guard disappear 100 miles later. They still weave under 20 MPH.
3. The #3 shop in town, along Grant Rd, had only Shinko 750s. These are super cheap Koren tires known for low price but short lifespan. Not appropriate for south of the border.
4. Some independent guy known as *MW who may or may not have something I may need. Call..... yeah... no.

So now I'm back in Ohio trying to figure out how to be truly self sufficient in light of the "adventure sport" BS that comes with being in the southwest.

I might as well just take the RT.

FB
Old 11-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #71337
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,219
You werent planning on new shoes for the bike once you got there?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #71338
FlowBee
Just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
You werent planning on new shoes for the bike once you got there?

No. I understand carrying tires into Tadfuckistan. But this is still the United States - let alone north america. Crazy is it seems, I assumed that towns near the border would have spares for common tire sizes for people headed south. Yeah, you're right. I should have anticipated this. The "border" begins about 600 miles north of the border.

Even my local dealer in Ohio has these in stock. Seriously.

WTF.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #71339
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,219
Well that sucks for sure. I try not to assume anything or leave anything to chance on trips. Always figureing if something can trip you up, it will. 17" knobbed tires are like 525 chains. Lol

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #71340
FlowBee
Just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Well that sucks for sure. I try not to assume anything or leave anything to chance on trips. Always figureing if something can trip you up, it will. 17" knobbed tires are like 525 chains. Lol

OK, thanks. S0..... we should expect a 18" conversion. $$$