Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #71686
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
I don't see any separate gaskets but I'll ask them if they can sell me a couple. Seems a shame to have to buy a whole new cap just for that, though a Billet one might be nice. Of course, what would be the point of a nice durable Billet cap if its gasket went and I couldn't get a replacement?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #71687
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
You folks just let me know if you need a bearing and clip to go with that starter.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #71688
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I don't see any separate gaskets but I'll ask them if they can sell me a couple. Seems a shame to have to buy a whole new cap just for that, though a Billet one might be nice. Of course, what would be the point of a nice durable Billet cap if its gasket went and I couldn't get a replacement?
I have to say my eye's light up when I saw those billet caps.....but I about shit a brick when I saw the price....50 bucks and they don't even lock? And when the gasket fails in a couple years I gotta buy a whole nother cap???
Fug that.........
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #71689
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I have to say my eye's light up when I saw those billet caps.....but I about shit a brick when I saw the price....50 bucks and they don't even lock? And when the gasket fails in a couple years I gotta buy a whole nother cap???
Fug that.........
I've sent an email to find out if we can get gaskets separately. Seems ludicrous that you can't.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #71690
FuzzyNugs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Grifter - Did the adjustable Tusk handguard mounts fit your bars? I have tapered bars and the mounts won't fit around the "still tapering" section. They have mounts for larger bars but they don't have adjustment...plus it adds to the cost. I used some old large bar mounts I had laying around for the time being.

I like the adjustability of the standard Tusk mounts so I'll grind 'em out when I set time aside. I could use longer screws but the contact points 'tween the mount and the bar would be minimal.
TH, I have tried the Tusk handguards on normal bars with a great fit and then on fat bars with their adapter kit. I had the same issue with them being slightly off on the tapering part. I just cranked them down extra tight, but in the end wasn't happy. Then I tried the Acerbis Rally 3 guards which don't have a metal spine and they were nice, but shifted on falls. Now I'm using the Highway Dirtbike guards and couldn't be happier. I'm finally learning to spend the money on the good stuff first. Seems I am always buying a replacement for the original, whether it be parts, gear, or tools.
FuzzyNugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #71691
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyNugs View Post
TH, I have tried the Tusk handguards on normal bars with a great fit and then on fat bars with their adapter kit. I had the same issue with them being slightly off on the tapering part. I just cranked them down extra tight, but in the end wasn't happy. Then I tried the Acerbis Rally 3 guards which don't have a metal spine and they were nice, but shifted on falls. Now I'm using the Highway Dirtbike guards and couldn't be happier. I'm finally learning to spend the money on the good stuff first. Seems I am always buying a replacement for the original, whether it be parts, gear, or tools.
I've not tried the HD guards ... but they look very good ... and are priced accordingly. But sometimes cheap is also good.

Lets do the math here ... my Tusk guards were $30 (few years ago). I've hit the ground with them at least 10 times that I remember. No serious crashes ... but fell on rocks couple times, whacked a couple trees and even hit a SUV mirror! (whoops ... sorry! ).

My Tusk guards shift a bit too when hit ... because that's exactly how I set them up. My levers and perches are the same ... all just snug, not super tight.

In a fall ...everything can move or rotate a bit, rather than snap off. Be sure to Loc-tite nuts and bolts. The guards shift when hit hard ... and I just force them back in position. Seems OK. This is an old Enduro rider trick on bike set up.

I believe Acerbis guards (the decent ones) are around $80 to $100 these days? I believe the Highway Dirt Bike ones are around the same?
I did not expect much from the Tusk guards ...but can't find much fault with them in the 3 or 4 years I've had them on the bike. I have them on my WR250F as well. Holding up fine ... and they've taken a real beating on that bike. My rating ? Cheap and Good ...! two things that rarely go together.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #71692
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The Clymer people finally got tired of listening to me carp on about the lack of an aftermarket manual for the DR650. I've been asking for this for YEARS.

I have one sample copy. It looks pretty good. I haven't had time yet to make sure they didn't replicate the errors in the factory manual.

ProCycle should have the first shipment of Clymer books in about 2 weeks.
nice job!

...Jeff, we're getting closer to you with our new Nor Cal map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #71693
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
How is it going to support anything if the starter shaft is bigger on the outside diameter than the inside diameter of the bearing? It's either going to prevent the starter shaft from going in that slot on the cover, or it's going to run right up against the inside race of the bearing. This really isn't making much sense to me at the moment. The inside diameter of that bearing is just a hair under 12mm. The starter shaft is 14mm. Quite simply, it ain't gonna fit! I also just confirmed that the part numbers for a 1999 and 2000 are the same. Lists the bearing as 12x28x8.

Here's something that's a bit odd...the breakdown of the starter in the parts fiche shows that it has a bit of a tip....If the starter actually had that tip, and it was 12mm, the bearing would make perfect sense. In my case, the end of the starter is completely flat and ends at the splines...like so:

UPDATE: I just fitted the new bushing and starter clutch next the the starter shaft. The starter shaft doesn't even exceed the width of the clutch. My verdict is this bearing and clip are COMPLETELY unnecessary. Does anyone disagree?

Im really glad someone brought this up. I had to replace my stator cover since there was a hairline crack that weeped oil. I changed to a 250w stator and all that, and the fitment of everything pretty much made sense.

However, while the stator cover had a bearing and retainer, and the starter shaft clearly extended into the center of the bearing (inner race), the starter shaft was CLEARLY smaller, to the point that the bearing itself would seem totally unnecessary. I put it back in anyways, but I scoured the manual, tried researching on google, etc and could not find any information about this. I figured if the bike made any weird noises when starting or when running, I would immediately tear the cover off and look for galling or damage. Sounds perfect. Even took the cover off due to paranoia and everything looked perfect.

Mine is a 2008 with low mileage and I dont believe the cover had ever been off.
GSF1200S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #71694
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Opium89, do you know what grenaded the 99 engine?
GSF1200S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #71695
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Fuzzy - I couldn't get my head around HDB's price. I had Cycra's ($100) on the WR and appreciated them. My reasonably priced Maiers were well used and still functional, but had some bends in them. I changed the bike color to white and wanted to update things a bit.

I'll have to check out your HDB's on our next ride. SprintST had 'em on his DR when he was here. He had indicator lights installed in the holes which had a clean look.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #71696
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Opium89, do you know what grenaded the 99 engine?
In lieu of a starter clutch torque limiter that absorbs engine kick-back, Suzuki in all their wisdom installed a solid idler gear for a year in the 99-2000 (98-99?) models. They went back to a starter clutch shortly after realizing what a huge mistake they made and everyone's cases getting grenaded.. This will most likely happen to every one of these models eventually. There's a lot of info about it on the Google machine.

http://bit.ly/TLIs7O
Old 12-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #71697
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,468
Replacing my speedo cable because the jacket on the original was torn. Sure as shit, water was penetrating. Anyway, anyone know should the speedo housing at the wheel, be packed with grease on reassemble ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #71698
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I had to cut mine off.
Thanks!

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #71699
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
we're getting closer to you with our new Nor Cal map
Sweet!
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #71700
sunthechip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
headlight cover

Anyone know where I can get a headlight cover that is white and black? And any Ideas what type of windshield this is?
sunthechip is offline   Reply With Quote