User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #71821
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 786
Horror Movie

The sound of the rock hitting the case was brutal. And seeing the pig bleeding out like that was very sad. It must have made the rest of the day pretty interesting. Was that in VA or WV? The reddish clay looked familiar but not the straight and open road.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #71822
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Do you really have 75, 000 miles on your DR? Is that with the motor untouched or has the motor been reconditioned?

I only WISH that was my site and over 5 years of adventure. I don't know if Adam ( JediMaster here ) had any engine work done in those miles. I kept up with most of his posts and don't remember any rebuilds but a read through would tell you I guess.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #71823
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
Wheels

Don't want to overstep my boundaries here, but just an FYI that I have a stock wheelset for sale in the Flea Market:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848083
isaac004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #71824
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,293
this is the wiring harness that I talked about

The top one is the Trailtech connection. New part is to the right, old/existing half is to the left.

The Bottom connection is the left-hand light/directional/horn switch connection that the previous owner had installed.

this is the aforementioned control switch

02 Suzuki DL1000 - 06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 06 DR650 - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #71825
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,487
[QUOTE=phreakingeek;20231724]After taking a rock to the case a month ago and having the DR totaled, I was on the fence about what to do for a replacement bike. (you can see it happen at minute 2:10 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13cR80h-QNo&feature=plcp the rock i hit was sticking up a few inches out of the dirt and was less than a foot long and kind of pointed. Just bad luck that i hit it and it punched the oil drain up into the case and also caused the rear clamp on the skid plate to knock a hole in the back. The insurance company was going to fix the engine, but the bent frame tube was enough to push the repair cost over 85% of the bikes value.)

What skid plate did you have?
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #71826
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,196
Just saying HI on 12/12/12 @ 12:12
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #71827
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,584

Best I can do:

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 09:55 AM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #71828
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
springs

That bike had the .80 fork springs and the 8.3 shock spring from Procycle. It was quite a bit stiffer than stock, but still not stiff enough. I didnt go very high, but the rock i landed on was about 20 feet from the water bar that i went over...I was doing about 30-35mph at the time. We've ridden that area a number of times and I've had a few incidents with rocks on the skid plate, but this one was just bad luck. Bottoming out on a flat landing with a rock right were the case would contact it.

Here's the rock:

Here's the damage (after i removed the skidplate that was also destroyed):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
It's difficult to get a feel for just how high up that launched you before you came down, but it obviously sucked.

Question for ya - did you have an upgraded suspension (stiffer springs) on that bike? It sort of looked like the stock springs, as I know mine are so weak that they'd 'disappear' underneath me if I tried anything like that. I'm just wondering if upgraded springs would have prevented some of the hurt (though it's tough to get away from the harm a poorly design skid plate will do).
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #71829
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

GW Forest

That was FDR72 in the GW Forest...VA side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
The sound of the rock hitting the case was brutal. And seeing the pig bleeding out like that was very sad. It must have made the rest of the day pretty interesting. Was that in VA or WV? The reddish clay looked familiar but not the straight and open road.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #71830
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

skid plate

I had the Ricochet brand plate from Rocky Mountain. Now i have a Pat Walsh Designs plate on the new bike. Looking for ways to add some shock absorbing/damping to the mounts so that it will disperse impacts instead of transferring it directly to the frame.

I found a nice mount that would provide impact and vibration damping made by Sorbothane. Unfortunately, even their toughest material (Duro 70) doesnt provide enough shear strength for a skidplate. My riding buddy is working on a project to mount a skidplate then RTV a second skidplate to it. Hoping to get impact damping by spreading impacts over a larger area and adding extra strength with two plates...unfortunately, that means a lot of extra weight

[QUOTE=805gregg;20233212]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
After taking a rock to the case a month ago and having the DR totaled, I was on the fence about what to do for a replacement bike. (you can see it happen at minute 2:10 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13cR80h-QNo&feature=plcp the rock i hit was sticking up a few inches out of the dirt and was less than a foot long and kind of pointed. Just bad luck that i hit it and it punched the oil drain up into the case and also caused the rear clamp on the skid plate to knock a hole in the back. The insurance company was going to fix the engine, but the bent frame tube was enough to push the repair cost over 85% of the bikes value.)

What skid plate did you have?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #71831
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,061
Quote:
Here's the damage (after i removed the skidplate that was also destroyed)
A perfect hit, just in the right place.

I keep thinking that shark fin needs to come off if a bash plate is on...
Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #71832
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,196
Quote:
That bike had the .80 fork springs and the 8.3 shock spring from Procycle. It was quite a bit stiffer than stock, but still not stiff enough. I didnt go very high, but the rock i landed on was about 20 feet from the water bar that i went over...I was doing about 30-35mph at the time. We've ridden that area a number of times and I've had a few incidents with rocks on the skid plate, but this one was just bad luck. Bottoming out on a flat landing with a rock right were the case would contact it.

Here's the rock:

Here's the damage (after i removed the skidplate that was also destroyed):
Yow! I hit a rock and dented my skid plate, but it wasn't dead center like yours. Mine was off to the side a bit. It got far enough in to hit the bolt. Just nicked the drain bolt and oddly enough loosened it slightly. I had no idea this had happened. Luck would be with me. It didn't fall out while I finished the ride. A friend was over a few days later and wanted to see my bike. Went into the garage and there was a small puddle of oil. After checking, I was relieved to find the bolt loose. I took off the skid plate and banged out the big ole dent and put it back on. Hope I never do a boingo like yours.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #71833
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
I only WISH that was my site and over 5 years of adventure. I don't know if Adam ( JediMaster here ) had any engine work done in those miles. I kept up with most of his posts and don't remember any rebuilds but a read through would tell you I guess.
Not that I have read all of his adventure stories, but I own his bike now. I can tell you that he (Adam) complained a lot about bearings - gee, these things go through wheel bearings? Who knew . I also know that he had some small issues with welds on racks and mounts breaking, but the bike itself is still going strong. Aside from the wiring issues that I'm dealing with at the moment it's been GREAT. I'm trying to prep it for a cross country (and back) trip right now.

02 Suzuki DL1000 - 06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 06 DR650 - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #71834
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Someone Had the RTV idea?

Quote:
I had the Ricochet brand plate from Rocky Mountain. Now i have a Pat Walsh Designs plate on the new bike. Looking for ways to add some shock absorbing/damping to the mounts so that it will disperse impacts instead of transferring it directly to the frame.

I found a nice mount that would provide impact and vibration damping made by Sorbothane. Unfortunately, even their toughest material (Duro 70) doesnt provide enough shear strength for a skidplate. My riding buddy is working on a project to mount a skidplate then RTV a second skidplate to it. Hoping to get impact damping by spreading impacts over a larger area and adding extra strength with two plates...unfortunately, that means a lot of extra weight
I believe one of the Kiwi or Aussie members here talked about using RTV as a cushion like shock absorber material to use with a skid plate mounting. I don't recall details ... long while ago. Anyone remember who posted that and what the plan was?

My skid plate is simply mounted using rubber bumpers to help absorb some of the hit. Rock hits are a real problem in Baja if you get going to fast and miss a big embedded rock like the one shown in pic above. Nasty ... will really hurt you if you hit it wrong. Also VERY hard on rims ... just thank your lucky stars you're not on a KTM or BMW!
Butter soft crap rims.

Good suspension and a light load go a long way to preventing whacking the skid plate. Riding technique matter too. I try to loft the front when needed, and vision ahead is critical too so to avoid potential disasters with good lines.

But a few times I've hit stuff SO HARD it nearly knocked me OFF the bike, jerked the bars out of my hands ... and nearly crashed. 100% vigilance is required. Dirt riding at speed tires you out!!

This here track in Death Valley was a shitter ... and a real good place to hole a case. Thing is, on this stuff you could not go slow. If you did, you'd get beat to death. You had do at least 20 to 25 mph just to avoid having the bars jerked out of your hands or have a bad deflection and loose control. MUCH easier on a light weight dirt bike!

This track is tougher than it looks. A real shit kicker of volcanic rock that eats your tires ... and you don't want to fall on it either.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #71835
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
This here track in Death Valley was a shitter ... and a real good place to hole a case. Thing is, on this stuff you could not go slow. If you did, you'd get beat to death. You had do at least 20 to 25 mph just to avoid having the bars jerked out of your hands or have a bad deflection and loose control. MUCH easier on a light weight dirt bike!

This track is tougher than it looks. A real shit kicker of volcanic rock that eats your tires ... and you don't want to fall on it either.

Is that by Butte Valley?
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!

barko1 screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 03:31 PM
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote