User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #71821
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
FDR72, is that Long Run Road?
Man, that was a hit. Were you able to get a truck in there to get you out, or did you have to push it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
That was FDR72 in the GW Forest...VA side.
dljocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #71822
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post

Not that I'd trade my DR for one, but you wont have that issue with a KTM, as you can practically walk under them
Yup, of course the down side to a lot of clearance is I've dropped my KTM's cause my legs are too short.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #71823
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Yup, of course the down side to a lot of clearance is I've dropped my KTM's cause my legs are too short.

You just have the wrong riding boots is all mate.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #71824
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Luckily we had just crested the top of the mountain...about 10 miles in. So my riding buddy Mark towed me back to the top and I coasted most of the way down. Only had to stop 3 or 4 times for Mark to pull me through a few 100 yards of slight incline...then back to coasting. It was strange rolling down the hill at 30mph with no engine noise.

we left the bike at the church down at the bottom while i rode pillion back to the truck where we'd parked. While we were gone, some nice locals took the opportunity to alter the color scheme of my black DR with orange and green paintballs. Just glad it wasnt lead projectiles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
FDR72, is that Long Run Road?
Man, that was a hit. Were you able to get a truck in there to get you out, or did you have to push it?
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #71825
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I can't find it in the service manual, but MADurstewitz had the same question, maybe a PM to him. ADV8 just rebuilt his with the new gear set and may also have information.
Just found this. In my case, the bearing with the pin is the one that failed. I managed to trace it to a Chinese manufacturer, which might be why. The pin was simply a rolled piece of steel inserted into a hole drilled into the race. Very dodgy workmanship in my opinion. I measured it and replaced it with an appropriate SKF from simplybearings. I replaced all of the bearings with SKF, actually.

Anyway, to your question, that bearing is the input shaft bearing behind the clutch. I used loctite bearing retainer to hold it in place without the pin. The rebuilt engine just turned over 10,000 miles with no issues.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #71826
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, coasting along with no engine can be a bit weird. Glad you are ok.

Seriously........paintballs!

Maybe not so funny then, but some humor in it I guess.

Quote:
we left the bike at the church down at the bottom while i rode pillion back to the truck where we'd parked. While we were gone, some nice locals took the opportunity to alter the color scheme of my black DR with orange and green paintballs. Just glad it wasnt lead projectiles...
Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #71827
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post
Just found this. In my case, the bearing with the pin is the one that failed. I managed to trace it to a Chinese manufacturer, which might be why. The pin was simply a rolled piece of steel inserted into a hole drilled into the race. Very dodgy workmanship in my opinion. I measured it and replaced it with an appropriate SKF from simplybearings. I replaced all of the bearings with SKF, actually.

Anyway, to your question, that bearing is the input shaft bearing behind the clutch. I used loctite bearing retainer to hold it in place without the pin. The rebuilt engine just turned over 10,000 miles with no issues.
Thanks MAD

Has that 10,000 miles all been with the 790?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #71828
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Yah,I rode my DR on the gnarlier tracks out in Death Valley once,that was enough.
400 lb bike with not much ground clearance leads to smashing impacts on a regular basis.
Its not so much a problem with how many skidplates you have but the fact its too close to the ground.
Line choice of course can help,dont hit the big ones.
Yep thats my biggest issue with the DR, not enough ground clearance, and suspension too soft for semi-aggressive off-roading in rough situations. You can fix the soft suspension, not quite as easy to fix the ground clearance issue. Its no fun having to worry about punching holes in cases when you want to wick it up a bit, and maybe catch a little air over a water bar or such
Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #71829
UberKul
UberNoob

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Yep thats my biggest issue with the DR, not enough ground clearance, and suspension too soft for semi-aggressive off-roading in rough situations. You can fix the soft suspension, not quite as easy to fix the ground clearance issue. Its no fun having to worry about punching holes in cases when you want to wick it up a bit, and maybe catch a little air over a water bar or such
The compromise is to run less sag than you would on a normal dirt bike. More air time but less dragging the belly.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 AM   #71830
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post

thankyou good sir. now i can order that one from suzuki just incase i cant find any bearing retainer and all the others can come from FAG or SKF (as long as they havent come from SKFs china operations haha).

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:54 AM   #71831
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

I have my shock wound so tight, I'm afraid to tighten it much more, and the big dr still seems to have a lot of static/rider sag.
Maybe i should tighten it up some more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKul View Post
The compromise is to run less sag than you would on a normal dirt bike. More air time but less dragging the belly.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #71832
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I think though in the 650cc class it's not really lacking in ground clearance over other 650cc class bikes? It's only about 1/2" lower than a KTM 690 for example. I wouldn't "worry about punching holes in cases" if you catch a little air over a water bar, especially if you've already addressed the soft suspension. Hell, you might be able to overcome that 1/2" with taller tires on the DR.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.

acesandeights screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 07:51 AM
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #71833
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Luckily we had just crested the top of the mountain...about 10 miles in. So my riding buddy Mark towed me back to the top and I coasted most of the way down. Only had to stop 3 or 4 times for Mark to pull me through a few 100 yards of slight incline...then back to coasting. It was strange rolling down the hill at 30mph with no engine noise.
Coasted for close to 15 miles on my DR down a winding gravel mountain road earlier this year in CO. The guy that was in the lead was on a DRZ, and I had to keep getting on the brakes because the DR is so much heavier.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #71834
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I'll agree and say, you might be looking at a DRZ400 too. I have an RFS and the footpegs and bars vibe too much for any longer street rides. I'm sick of it at 5 miles, and it is only about half of what my 2 stroke KTM was like.

I predict, you'll have another DR650 someday.
Thank You for all of the advice. I already owned a DRZ400S, and while it was a marginally better dirt bike than the 650, it was too tall, and still too heavy. I am going to get a 'Strom or something for most of our 2-up riding, but we occasionally like to go into the woods to get to remote fishing spots. A 250 will do just fine for that, IMO. The new CRF250L looked wonderful (especially at that price), but then I saw what the rear shock looked like. Ugh. I do suspect that I would be able to replace it with something rather easily, though.
I like the WR-R, but it is also very tall. I would probably opt for a modified WR-F (street legal lighting, passenger pegs, etc.). A friend of mine has a WR450F for himself, and a WR250F for his wife (both street legal), and they are very happy with them.
I also owned a 1994 KLX250 that was street legal, and it was a great bike as well. I can pretty much guarantee that I will not be getting another DR650, or any 600-700 single for that matter.
Shopping is the fun part, and with Winter setting in, I am in no hurry. We have our Yamaha 4x4 ATV's for the winter, and I still have our little Ninja 250 to rip around on the street, if I feel the urge.
Honda has a lot of exciting new machines this year (CB500 R, X, and naked, NC700X, and the CRF250L), but I always think that next year they will come with adjustable suspension, and other tweaks that make them much better than first year models (much like Suzuki did with their first DRZ400S's). I am also thinking that Honda's recent "push" will urge the other 3 (or 4) manufacturer's to jump into the budget bike bracket with both feet, soon.
KTM still has a lock on the serious Dual Sport market, but they come at a price ($10K). From what I have read, Husky is getting there, at a bit less money, but transmission ratio's are still not right (6 speeds with a tight range) - and that is a big problem, one that is not easily corrected by the end user.
So, I will take my time sorting out my head, and figuring out what I really want. The DR650 was a marvelous machine, and if it were 50-75 lbs lighter, and had 6 speeds, it would have been perfect for me. My wife and I will miss it, and I hope that my brother enjoy's it. He has all but ensured me that it will be unrecognizable when I see it again. I only hope that he enjoys it as much as I did. With Suzuki revitalizing their commitment to their motorcycle lineup, maybe we will finally see a new DR. I am not sure that I will wait around to find out...
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #71835
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I think though in the 650cc class it's not really lacking in ground clearance over other 650cc class bikes?
The DR has 2" more then the KLR, but then the XRL has 2.5"s more then the DR.