Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #71821
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
400 lb bike with not much ground clearance leads to smashing impacts on a regular basis.
Its not so much a problem with how many skidplates you have but the fact its too close to the ground.

Not that I'd trade my DR for one, but you wont have that issue with a KTM, as you can practically walk under them

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #71822
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post

Not that I'd trade my DR for one, but you wont have that issue with a KTM, as you can practically walk under them
Ive since picked up a 530 KTM,it floats and wheelies over stuff that the good old DR would clank/drag and clonk through.
I high centered the DR coming over Mengel pass in DV trying to get around a sand buggy that was totally stuck in the good line,there's something about getting a bike high centered when it weighs well over twice what I do that leaves an impression. It was teetering on a big rock,luckily some guys came over and helped drag it off.
I still ride my DR but I dont beat it and myself up taking it in places it doesnt really belong,too hard on my body.
Im doing the cam chain tensioner gasket on the DR today,always a good time.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #71823
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Ive since picked up a 530 KTM,it floats and wheelies over stuff that the good old DR would clank/drag and clonk through.
I high centered the DR coming over Mengel pass in DV trying to get around a sand buggy that was totally stuck in the good line,there's something about getting a bike high centered when it weighs well over twice what I do that leaves an impression. It was teetering on a big rock,luckily some guys came over and helped drag it off.
I still ride my DR but I dont beat it and myself up taking it in places it doesnt really belong,too hard on my body.
Im doing the cam chain tensioner gasket on the DR today,always a good time.
Chico ha ?
2 things:
1. I knew a young guy fresh out of Maritime college was an engineer on a NY harbor tug but lives in Chico.
2. This fall I rode my DR down the WBCDR, OBCDR and into northern Cali. Smith River NRA, Happy Camp and Lost Coast. That Smith River area had the shocks-a-boiling !

Old 12-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #71824
C/W
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Yow! I hit a rock and dented my skid plate, but it wasn't dead center like yours. Mine was off to the side a bit. It got far enough in to hit the bolt. Just nicked the drain bolt and oddly enough loosened it slightly. I had no idea this had happened. Luck would be with me. It didn't fall out while I finished the ride. A friend was over a few days later and wanted to see my bike. Went into the garage and there was a small puddle of oil. After checking, I was relieved to find the bolt loose. I took off the skid plate and banged out the big ole dent and put it back on. Hope I never do a boingo like yours.
Makes me second guess using the magnetic oil drain plug. It sticks out further than the stock one. It wouldn't have mattered in this case though, looks like the fin area cracked as well.

Seems to be mostly just bad luck. Sure perhaps you could've avoided the rock, but it's easy to miss stuff at speed.
C/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #71825
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
Did a oil change, Something weird with the drain plug. first oil change since I bought the bike. The drain plug was tight coming out. also, tight going back in. Other vehicle I have changed oil with, i could usually finger loose the drain plug after breaking it loose with a socket.

what's up with that? hope I didn't cause any damage to the drain hole threads. The drain plug looked okay to me.
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #71826
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
Not that I have read all of his adventure stories, but I own his bike now. I can tell you that he (Adam) complained a lot about bearings - gee, these things go through wheel bearings? Who knew . I also know that he had some small issues with welds on racks and mounts breaking, but the bike itself is still going strong. Aside from the wiring issues that I'm dealing with at the moment it's been GREAT. I'm trying to prep it for a cross country (and back) trip right now.
Great to hear you've got Adam's bike on the road and strong. Sorry, not a clue regards the electrics/wiring problems. I do remember reading Adam's Ride Report about the mods he made to the dash, switches added, et al.

IIRC, he did a VERY NICE job on the switches and wiring. Very pro job. I would contact Adam, ask for assistance. I think he is quite a wizard with wiring, signal path and trouble shooting.

Some hard used DR's have burnt through wheel and Hub bearings. But I don't think it's endemic. Many are still on original bearings at 50,000 miles,
(my '06 included). Many seem to "get creative" with using various bearings
to replace, very few go with the open ended OEM bearings.

I plan to go with OEM as I figure I got 50K miles out of originals ... why mess with success?

Good luck with up coming cross country ride.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #71827
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Chico ha ?
2 things:
1. I knew a young guy fresh out of Maritime college was an engineer on a NY harbor tug but lives in Chico.
2. This fall I rode my DR down the WBCDR, OBCDR and into northern Cali. Smith River NRA, Happy Camp and Lost Coast. That Smith River area had the shocks-a-boiling !
Lotsa neat riding out by Happy Camp,heck theres all kinds of neat riding any way you go out of Chico,the coast,mountains,singletrack for days real close by.
Then all the great curvy paved roads going to the coast.

Different subject but does anybody have any good ideas about getting the gasket off the cylinder for the cam chain tensioner? Gasket remover doesnt touch it.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #71828
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Sharp razor, patience and a steady hand

Old 12-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #71829
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

Some hard used DR's have burnt through wheel and Hub bearings. But I don't think it's endemic. Many are still on original bearings at 50,000 miles,
(my '06 included). Many seem to "get creative" with using various bearings
to replace, very few go with the open ended OEM bearings.

I plan to go with OEM as I figure I got 50K miles out of originals ... why mess with success?
My originals lasted about 50,000 (the rears and cush hub bearings, the fronts are still original at 62,000 -seem just fine). I did replace with OEM but I did take the old seals off the old bearings and put them on the unsealed side of the new bearings. Seemed like the thing to do at the time.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #71830
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Great to hear you've got Adam's bike on the road and strong. Sorry, not a clue regards the electrics/wiring problems. I do remember reading Adam's Ride Report about the mods he made to the dash, switches added, et al.
The Mods to the dash (and the rest of the bike as a whole really) that he did were both extensive, well done, AND numerous (and highly personalized to his needs). My needs are far simpler. I am sure that we will get them figured out. I'm asking here because a) I very aware of the highly experienced people on here, and b) I don't feel the need to re-invent the wheel if I don't need to. If someone has dealt with a similar issue before I am very willing to accept the help.

Quote:
It could be a function of how he used the bike, but I think he told me once that he figured HIS bearings were a "wear item" and like the chain and sprockets would replace them at regular intervals. She (Rosie is what he called the bike and I see no reason to change that) will have all new consumables before WE head out. I'm hoping to get more miles on her than He did. My Vee has over 85,000 miles already!

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #71831
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Is that by Butte Valley?
This is a marked BLM trail from Trona Airport up and over and down into the valley on into Goler Wash. Goes from West to East. I don't know Butte Valley.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #71832
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Sharp razor, patience and a steady hand
Cripes what a PIA,as Im sure everybody has found out who has done this,the tensioner gasket is bonded to the cylinder quite solidly and only comes off in tiny slivers at a time while trying not to carve aluminum away. The sealing surface for the gasket is maybe 1/8" wide,not the best design work Ive seen. Hope it doesnt leak again for a while.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #71833
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
Gasket remover doesnt touch it.
Gasket remover needs to sit and soak in for at least an hour or two to work.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #71834
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,919
Tinman - if your trip includes San Diego.....tools and guest room available. Glad the bike is still on the road.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #71835
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Tinman - if your trip includes San Diego.....tools and guest room available. Glad the bike is still on the road.
Thanks! Not sure how it will pan out yet. Was supposed to be a month in Mexico, but a few days ago my Ex informed us that she has decided that she would not be contributing to the boys college tuition - the Mexico money gets to go to Canada instead of Mexico. WAY less fun.

Still prepping the bike and still hoping to be able to get out of the snow for a month or two.

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote