ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #71836
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 5,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post
Just found this. In my case, the bearing with the pin is the one that failed. I managed to trace it to a Chinese manufacturer, which might be why. The pin was simply a rolled piece of steel inserted into a hole drilled into the race. Very dodgy workmanship in my opinion. I measured it and replaced it with an appropriate SKF from simplybearings. I replaced all of the bearings with SKF, actually.

Anyway, to your question, that bearing is the input shaft bearing behind the clutch. I used loctite bearing retainer to hold it in place without the pin. The rebuilt engine just turned over 10,000 miles with no issues.
Thanks MAD

Has that 10,000 miles all been with the 790?
__________________
2004 DR650: 62,400 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #71837
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Yah,I rode my DR on the gnarlier tracks out in Death Valley once,that was enough.
400 lb bike with not much ground clearance leads to smashing impacts on a regular basis.
Its not so much a problem with how many skidplates you have but the fact its too close to the ground.
Line choice of course can help,dont hit the big ones.
Yep thats my biggest issue with the DR, not enough ground clearance, and suspension too soft for semi-aggressive off-roading in rough situations. You can fix the soft suspension, not quite as easy to fix the ground clearance issue. Its no fun having to worry about punching holes in cases when you want to wick it up a bit, and maybe catch a little air over a water bar or such
__________________
"Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt"- The Gospel as spoken by itrack
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #71838
UberKul
UberNoob
 
UberKul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Wilseyville, CA
Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Yep thats my biggest issue with the DR, not enough ground clearance, and suspension too soft for semi-aggressive off-roading in rough situations. You can fix the soft suspension, not quite as easy to fix the ground clearance issue. Its no fun having to worry about punching holes in cases when you want to wick it up a bit, and maybe catch a little air over a water bar or such
The compromise is to run less sag than you would on a normal dirt bike. More air time but less dragging the belly.
__________________
My Smugmug, it's how I roll.
UberKul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 AM   #71839
blackcap
Studly Adventurer
 
blackcap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Wollongong aka stink-town, Australia
Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post
Just found this. In my case, the bearing with the pin is the one that failed. I managed to trace it to a Chinese manufacturer, which might be why. The pin was simply a rolled piece of steel inserted into a hole drilled into the race. Very dodgy workmanship in my opinion. I measured it and replaced it with an appropriate SKF from simplybearings. I replaced all of the bearings with SKF, actually.

Anyway, to your question, that bearing is the input shaft bearing behind the clutch. I used loctite bearing retainer to hold it in place without the pin. The rebuilt engine just turned over 10,000 miles with no issues.
thankyou good sir. now i can order that one from suzuki just incase i cant find any bearing retainer and all the others can come from FAG or SKF (as long as they havent come from SKFs china operations haha).
__________________
"One must die sometime and to die with ones boots on is very noble" - Carl Stearns Clancy, first RTW motorcycle, 1912-13

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:54 AM   #71840
dljocky
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Yorktown, Va
Oddometer: 853
I have my shock wound so tight, I'm afraid to tighten it much more, and the big dr still seems to have a lot of static/rider sag.
Maybe i should tighten it up some more?



Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKul View Post
The compromise is to run less sag than you would on a normal dirt bike. More air time but less dragging the belly.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #71841
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Yep thats my biggest issue with the DR, not enough ground clearance, and suspension too soft for semi-aggressive off-roading in rough situations. You can fix the soft suspension, not quite as easy to fix the ground clearance issue. Its no fun having to worry about punching holes in cases when you want to wick it up a bit, and maybe catch a little air over a water bar or such
I think though in the 650cc class it's not really lacking in ground clearance over other 650cc class bikes? It's only about 1/2" lower than a KTM 690 for example. I wouldn't "worry about punching holes in cases" if you catch a little air over a water bar, especially if you've already addressed the soft suspension. Hell, you might be able to overcome that 1/2" with taller tires on the DR.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
Amazballs Indi-music at https://soundcloud.com/sprunty2000/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.

acesandeights screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 07:51 AM
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #71842
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
Luckily we had just crested the top of the mountain...about 10 miles in. So my riding buddy Mark towed me back to the top and I coasted most of the way down. Only had to stop 3 or 4 times for Mark to pull me through a few 100 yards of slight incline...then back to coasting. It was strange rolling down the hill at 30mph with no engine noise.
Coasted for close to 15 miles on my DR down a winding gravel mountain road earlier this year in CO. The guy that was in the lead was on a DRZ, and I had to keep getting on the brakes because the DR is so much heavier.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #71843
gplassm
Studly Adventurer
 
gplassm's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Western Mass
Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I'll agree and say, you might be looking at a DRZ400 too. I have an RFS and the footpegs and bars vibe too much for any longer street rides. I'm sick of it at 5 miles, and it is only about half of what my 2 stroke KTM was like.

I predict, you'll have another DR650 someday.
Thank You for all of the advice. I already owned a DRZ400S, and while it was a marginally better dirt bike than the 650, it was too tall, and still too heavy. I am going to get a 'Strom or something for most of our 2-up riding, but we occasionally like to go into the woods to get to remote fishing spots. A 250 will do just fine for that, IMO. The new CRF250L looked wonderful (especially at that price), but then I saw what the rear shock looked like. Ugh. I do suspect that I would be able to replace it with something rather easily, though.
I like the WR-R, but it is also very tall. I would probably opt for a modified WR-F (street legal lighting, passenger pegs, etc.). A friend of mine has a WR450F for himself, and a WR250F for his wife (both street legal), and they are very happy with them.
I also owned a 1994 KLX250 that was street legal, and it was a great bike as well. I can pretty much guarantee that I will not be getting another DR650, or any 600-700 single for that matter.
Shopping is the fun part, and with Winter setting in, I am in no hurry. We have our Yamaha 4x4 ATV's for the winter, and I still have our little Ninja 250 to rip around on the street, if I feel the urge.
Honda has a lot of exciting new machines this year (CB500 R, X, and naked, NC700X, and the CRF250L), but I always think that next year they will come with adjustable suspension, and other tweaks that make them much better than first year models (much like Suzuki did with their first DRZ400S's). I am also thinking that Honda's recent "push" will urge the other 3 (or 4) manufacturer's to jump into the budget bike bracket with both feet, soon.
KTM still has a lock on the serious Dual Sport market, but they come at a price ($10K). From what I have read, Husky is getting there, at a bit less money, but transmission ratio's are still not right (6 speeds with a tight range) - and that is a big problem, one that is not easily corrected by the end user.
So, I will take my time sorting out my head, and figuring out what I really want. The DR650 was a marvelous machine, and if it were 50-75 lbs lighter, and had 6 speeds, it would have been perfect for me. My wife and I will miss it, and I hope that my brother enjoy's it. He has all but ensured me that it will be unrecognizable when I see it again. I only hope that he enjoys it as much as I did. With Suzuki revitalizing their commitment to their motorcycle lineup, maybe we will finally see a new DR. I am not sure that I will wait around to find out...
__________________
Street bikes for the street. Dirt bikes for the dirt. Let's keep it that way.
gplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #71844
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I think though in the 650cc class it's not really lacking in ground clearance over other 650cc class bikes?
The DR has 2" more then the KLR, but then the XRL has 2.5"s more then the DR.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #71845
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
The DR has 2" more then the KLR, but then the XRL has 2.5"s more then the DR.
Exactly.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
Amazballs Indi-music at https://soundcloud.com/sprunty2000/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #71846
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
I have my shock wound so tight, I'm afraid to tighten it much more, and the big dr still seems to have a lot of static/rider sag.
Maybe i should tighten it up some more?
Ive got stiffer springs front and rear along with race tech gold/emulator valves,its still close to the ground just sitting there doing nothing. Jumping water bars on a DR650 is going to cause something bad to happen eventually,they just arent made for it.

I tagged a big rock going downhill on my DR once,dusty/shady using a darker shield.
I hit it,the forks collapsed,the rock then smashed the skidplate in and launched the bike into full nose wheelie status towards a small grove of trees just off the trail. Some how the bars turned to the right a little and I came out of it with only soiled shorts and a bad scare. I was thinking "life flight" as it rolled along with the back wheel way up in the air.
Didnt feel even remotely like a dirt bike at that point,more like a station wagon.

Another time it very nearly high sided me playing flattracker on it,bike gets sideways,frame flex wallow snap left to right full lock and things almost went way to shite at 45mph. Ive since slowed down on the DR,if one of these things lands on you it would be a "Bill the cat" meets "Wiley Coyote" situation and a smashed human would result.
They arent race bikes.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #71847
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
Thank You for all of the advice. I already owned a DRZ400S, and while it was a marginally better dirt bike than the 650, it was too tall, and still too heavy. I am going to get a 'Strom or something for most of our 2-up riding, but we occasionally like to go into the woods to get to remote fishing spots. A 250 will do just fine for that, IMO. The new CRF250L looked wonderful (especially at that price), but then I saw what the rear shock looked like. Ugh. I do suspect that I would be able to replace it with something rather easily, though.
I like the WR-R, but it is also very tall. I would probably opt for a modified WR-F (street legal lighting, passenger pegs, etc.). A friend of mine has a WR450F for himself, and a WR250F for his wife (both street legal), and they are very happy with them.
I also owned a 1994 KLX250 that was street legal, and it was a great bike as well. I can pretty much guarantee that I will not be getting another DR650, or any 600-700 single for that matter.
Shopping is the fun part, and with Winter setting in, I am in no hurry. We have our Yamaha 4x4 ATV's for the winter, and I still have our little Ninja 250 to rip around on the street, if I feel the urge.
Honda has a lot of exciting new machines this year (CB500 R, X, and naked, NC700X, and the CRF250L), but I always think that next year they will come with adjustable suspension, and other tweaks that make them much better than first year models (much like Suzuki did with their first DRZ400S's). I am also thinking that Honda's recent "push" will urge the other 3 (or 4) manufacturer's to jump into the budget bike bracket with both feet, soon.
KTM still has a lock on the serious Dual Sport market, but they come at a price ($10K). From what I have read, Husky is getting there, at a bit less money, but transmission ratio's are still not right (6 speeds with a tight range) - and that is a big problem, one that is not easily corrected by the end user.
So, I will take my time sorting out my head, and figuring out what I really want. The DR650 was a marvelous machine, and if it were 50-75 lbs lighter, and had 6 speeds, it would have been perfect for me. My wife and I will miss it, and I hope that my brother enjoy's it. He has all but ensured me that it will be unrecognizable when I see it again. I only hope that he enjoys it as much as I did. With Suzuki revitalizing their commitment to their motorcycle lineup, maybe we will finally see a new DR. I am not sure that I will wait around to find out...
The 250L is 320 lbs with gas,much like all the little japanese dualsports. There is no perfect dual purpose bike,everybody wants something different out of the things.
Honda builds bikes now with such bargain priced bits on them for dual sport,I think 5 grand would be spent before it was a decent but still excruciatingly slow bike.

My DR will cruise at 85 smoothly for days,I cant see where a 6 speed would help the bike.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #71848
clfarren5944
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: NW MO
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post

You just have the wrong riding boots is all mate.
We call those a "KTM lowering kit".
clfarren5944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #71849
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Yep thats my biggest issue with the DR, not enough ground clearance, and suspension too soft for semi-aggressive off-roading in rough situations. You can fix the soft suspension, not quite as easy to fix the ground clearance issue. Its no fun having to worry about punching holes in cases when you want to wick it up a bit, and maybe catch a little air over a water bar or such
Try riding something like a KTM 530excr just once,it will change your mind in a heartbeat ,big smooth engine,not heavy,handles like a dream,stock suspension works great.
After fooling around with dual purpose bikes for years I have figured out its even cheaper to have a 530 over a DR.
The money spent buying a DR and then fixing/farkling/fixing,changing,adjusting it to be somewhat like a dirtable bike ends up being more $ then just buying a bike that works great from the get go.

The DR still gets the nod for long dirt road trips or pavement rides with some dirt,the 530 is more grins per minute then should be legal when it goes out.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #71850
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Try riding something like a KTM 530excr just once,it will change your mind in a heartbeat ,big smooth engine,not heavy,handles like a dream,stock suspension works great.
After fooling around with dual purpose bikes for years I have figured out its even cheaper to have a 530 over a DR.
The money spent buying a DR and then fixing/farkling/fixing,changing,adjusting it to be somewhat like a dirtable bike ends up being more $ then just buying a bike that works great from the get go.

The DR still gets the nod for long dirt road trips or pavement rides with some dirt,the 530 is more grins per minute then should be legal when it goes out.
Sounds like we are on the same page dragger. My 400 is everything I want my DR to be.... but for one thing. Vibration. Don't get me wrong, the DR isn't smooth, except in camparison to my KTM. The 400 is a little short on torque when it hits the tar also. I think I have all the bases covered that need covering for my riding needs. I would like a WeeStrom if I could manage to get my wife to agree.
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014