Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #71881
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
I have my shock wound so tight, I'm afraid to tighten it much more, and the big dr still seems to have a lot of static/rider sag.
Maybe i should tighten it up some more?
I ride 98% rough asphalt in the local mountains, weigh 225lbs in street clothing. The OEM spring was adequate when tightened down to the max. Then I sold my KLR camper bike, needed the DR to start carrying camping gear; installed the heavier of the two springs offered by ProCycle, tightened it down a third, and am again content with the DR's suspension.

Lex
Old 12-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #71882
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
for those using the TM40 pumper carb: whats the reliability of this thing like? seems i keep tearing through slides, slide guides and emulsion tubes on the BST. starting to feel like this set is done after only about 10 000km and the set before that was only about 20 000km. i replace them another 2 times and ill have enough money to go for the TM40. so how many kms do people have on theirs and what problems have you had?

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:04 AM   #71883
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
for those using the TM40 pumper carb: whats the reliability of this thing like? seems i keep tearing through slides, slide guides and emulsion tubes on the BST. starting to feel like this set is done after only about 10 000km and the set before that was only about 20 000km. i replace them another 2 times and ill have enough money to go for the TM40. so how many kms do people have on theirs and what problems have you had?
Have over 18k miles (you can do the conversion math to kilometers) on my OEM carb, haven't opened it up since I adjusted the fueling at around 500 miles by installing a washer and backing out the A/F screw. No problems with my carb. I do run Techron or that other similar fuel additive whose name escapes me at the moment through it every half year or so. And my carb slide gets lots of action, relatively little constant throttle usage.

Lex
Old 12-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #71884
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Have over 18k miles (you can do the conversion math to kilometers) on my OEM carb, haven't opened it up since I adjusted the fueling at around 500 miles by installing a washer and backing out the A/F screw. No problems with my carb. I do run Techron or that other similar fuel additive whose name escapes me at the moment through it every half year or so. And my carb slide gets lots of action, relatively little constant throttle usage.

Lex
yeah i had no problems like this when i was in aus, but ive been in SE Asia for the past 12 months or so now and thats where ive been wearing through the parts so quickly. i was thinking it might be something to do with fuel here, who knows what they put in it (some people still put mercury in the cosmetics). im going to be in this part of the world and central asia/ the middle east for probably the next 18 months so wondering if the TM40 has the same wear issues or i can alleviate some of my headaches by forking out for the new carb. i dont know anything about the TM40 or how it operates.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #71885
TJWally
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Question 2012 DR650 Suspension

Hi just about to get a new DR650 again and I am going to be upgrading the suspension on this one as the dive under breaking with gear was far too much.

I weigh about 190-195lbs (88kgs) without gear. And I am looking at getting a 7.5kg/mm rear eibach spring and a .60kg/mm front springs with gold valves front and rear. I am sure this question has been asked many times but if you have any idea of whether that would be about the right weight springs or not I would appreciate it.

I will be setting the bike up for ADV riding and commuting - but happy to set it up more suited to dirt than blacktop.

And does anyone know what it would cost to get this done at HOEY racing (Australia)

Cheers,
TJ
TJWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #71886
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,720
Speaking of suspension, I'd like to hear from those who have cut their fork springs to gain some stiffness.

I've got to imagine that since the extra range of the springs is being substituted for firmness, that it becomes a tiny bit harsher for a given outcome than would buying new springs that are just as long as the stock ones, but made thicker.

Anyway, I can't quite see how cutting my springs to save money would be such a bad idea since I'm not creating a Baha racing machine here. The last bike I bought springs for showed me that aftermarket springs were often shorter, anyway, than the originals.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 07:50 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #71887
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJWally View Post
Hi just about to get a new DR650 again and I am going to be upgrading the suspension on this one as the dive under breaking with gear was far too much.

I weigh about 190-195lbs (88kgs) without gear. And I am looking at getting a 7.5kg/mm rear eibach spring and a .60kg/mm front springs with gold valves front and rear. I am sure this question has been asked many times but if you have any idea of whether that would be about the right weight springs or not I would appreciate it.

I will be setting the bike up for ADV riding and commuting - but happy to set it up more suited to dirt than blacktop.

And does anyone know what it would cost to get this done at HOEY racing (Australia)

Cheers,
TJ
I am about 20 lbs heavier than you and have similar plans for riding. I went with .70 fork springs and 8.1 rear spring, so I think you're about spot on. My suspension parts should be here next week so I have no experience with them yet.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #71888
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Speaking of suspension, I'd like to hear from those who have cut their fork springs to gain some stiffness.

I've got to imagine that since the extra range of the springs is being substituted for firmness, that it becomes a tiny bit harsher for a given outcome than would buying new springs that are just as long as the stock ones, but made thicker.

Anyway, I can't quite see how cutting my springs to save money would be such a bad idea since I'm not creating a Baha racing machine here. The last bike I bought springs for showed me that aftermarket springs were often shorter, anyway, than the originals.
Why not just add preload, by using longer spacers? Keep your springs intact. It's easier to revert back to stock or to sell.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #71889
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Why not just add preload, by using longer spacers? Keep your springs intact. It's easier to revert back to stock or to sell.
Selling isn't a worry - most americans are frickin heavier than I am, so they'll need the extra stiffness.

I've read up on suspension enough to believe that preload is preload - it's either set right or it isn't. While it may change the spring rate a fraction of a percentage, it really isn't supposed to, and it doesn't make up for spring rate changes.

Adjusting preload with the end-goal of a quick and dirty rate change is sort of ... well, it just doesn't seem right.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #71890
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Selling isn't a worry - most americans are frickin heavier than I am, so they'll need the extra stiffness.

I've read up on suspension enough to believe that preload is preload - it's either set right or it isn't. While it may change the spring rate a fraction of a percentage, it really isn't supposed to, and it doesn't make up for spring rate changes.

Adjusting preload with the end-goal of a quick and dirty rate change is sort of ... well, it just doesn't seem right.
On progressive-rate springs, like the DR's stockers, a change in preload changes the spring rate.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #71891
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Have over 18k miles (you can do the conversion math to kilometers) on my OEM carb, haven't opened it up since I adjusted the fueling at around 500 miles by installing a washer and backing out the A/F screw.
As shimming the needle clip preloads the slide spring beyond standard, it results in lowering the slide rather than raising the needle (except when the slide is against the stops). I would not shim the needle clip unless the goal is actually to lower the slide for a given intersection of throttle angle and rpm. Note that the additional preload from shimming the needle will also make the slide come off the stop at a later point in terms of rpm and throttle position (i.e. more velocity will be required to get it to come up off of the stop).

The most proper way to refer to the idle mixture screw (aka pilot screw) on a BST carb is as a fuel screw, as it does not adjust air and fuel simultaneously. There are things called air screws on carbs where you adjust the idle mixture by changing the quantity of air being bled into the pilot circuit. The reason this is important is that a fuel screw makes the idle mixture richer by screwing out and leaner by screwing in, whereas an air screw makes the idle mixture richer by screwing in, and leaner by screwing out. Fuel screws are usually on the downstream side of the slide, and air screws are usually on the upstream side (although I have seen occasional exceptions).

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #71892
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
seems i keep tearing through slides, slide guides and emulsion tubes on the BST. starting to feel like this set is done after only about 10 000km and the set before that was only about 20 000km
Have you been increasing the lift hole area, or leaving it stock? I assume this is a single lift hole model? Make sure you are preventing the ingress of dirt through the carb vent (the 1/2" {~13mm) steel elbow on the back of the carb, just under the diaphragm).

Regards,

Derek
Old 12-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #71893
SprintST
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Another chain question

Hi guys,

Quick question. I'm on the road in southern Argentina and can't replace my chain for a few days. I adjust at the tightest spot, of which there shouldn't be one after only about 10k kms. When I'm on the loaded bike the chain is quite loose. Better loose than tight, I know, but does anyone have any suggestions on other courses of adjustment? When should the damn thing be adjusted? Loaded? Loaded, with my fat ass on it as well? Unloaded? On side stand? Upright under its own weight? Rear wheel off the ground?

Will a sticky point chain ever "unstuck"? It's at 4+2 on the adjuster cam now.

It's all cleaned up, lubed and awaiting your collective wisdom.

Cheers!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #71894
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
i dont know anything about the TM40 or how it operates.
Slide carbs will always have a loss in bottom end to lower midrange of the rpm range at the larger throttle openings because the air velocity (and therefore the quality of the metering) is proportional to the engine rpm and inversely proportional to the throttle opening. Slide carbs require you to learn throttle control. When tuned properly (I say "tuned properly" because it is possible to mask many problems with an overly rich mixture), you cannot open the throttle to WOT or near WOT suddenly from low rpm without significant hesitation (its even possible to stall the engine if you dont back off). A properly tuned accelerator pump will help this, but is not likely to completely mitigate the problem. On the other hand, CV carbs allow you to open the throttle all the way from low rpm and will pull smoothly when tuned correctly, because the height of the slide automatically attempts to maintain a consistent velocity.

The ability to open the throttle to WOT from low rpm without hesitation with a CV carb does come with a price, and that is in a comparative lack of responsiveness in those areas where the combination of throttle position and rpm does not cause too much of a loss in in intake velocity with the slide carb.

Another area where the CV carb has an advantage is in the ability to change the fuel delivery curve based on rpm via the needle shape. On a slide carb, you can add or subtract fuel via tuning a circuit responsible for a given throttle position, but you cannot change the shape of the delivery curve in terms of rpm. For instance, if you had a lean and a rich spot at different rpm at a certain throttle position, you could fix the lean spot while making the rich spot even richer, or you could fix the rich spot while making the lean spot even leaner. You could not fix both. Unfortunately, these types of scenarios happen quite frequently.

The throttle pull on the TM40 is also quite a bit heavier than on the BST40.

Regards,

Derek
Old 12-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #71895
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
On progressive-rate springs, like the DR's stockers, a change in preload changes the spring rate.
If the fork is far enough into the travel, the rate becomes the same as it was again.

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 01:05 PM