Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #71971
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Okay, so I have standard exhaust system plus I have a TM40............if I went and put a stainintune exhaust system on my bike, do you think there would be noticeable performance improvements. ? Just wondering, as I'm not entirely happy with the standard exhaust, apart from sounding like the proverbial sewing machine, it does feel as though its restricting the power potential.
Yes, you would definitely notice the improvement going from the stock muffler to a Staintune. Probably good for around 3 HP which doesn't sound like much until you figure that's nearly 10%.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #71972
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghollaba View Post
Would appreciate some input guys.

Getting back into riding after selling the 1150GS and wanting something used fro under $5,000.
Primary use back roads, 15 miles to work in good weather, dirt/gravel fire roads.
No toll roads, some highway but no long distances.

The DR650SE sits well, going to go ride one this week.

Is there a year to stay away from?
Anything to look for?

Would the dreaded ugly KLR650, "gasp" be a better jeep, ugly ugly bike...?

Appreciate it.
I like KLR's just fine. They need some TLC and good set up just like the DR650 does. Both are fine bikes for your purposes. The KLR is roomier and in stock form better for carrying stuff on or a passenger.

For a DR650 I would try for 2005 or newer. Buy from a "mature" rider if possible and preferably not a former Hare Scrambles racer Ride the bike and do whatever you do to check out a bike ... or bring a PRO along to help. Listen to motor, shift gears ... blah blah blah.

Look for tell tale signs of crashes or abuse ... like messed up engine side cases, bent levers or bashed in frame rails under engine, or dented rims, wobbly wheels, or big gashes under swing arm. A worn out chain, dirty oil or dirty air cleaner could indicate bike was not cared for. Look for mods improperly done like rerouted cables/wiring. Other than that? Consider the seller ... and who he is.

Other than those few things DR650's are pretty hard to kill. Really tough motor, requires little maintenance, very fun to ride once set up correctly.

A newer, low mileage bike is always better. But keep in mind a 9 year old can disconnect the Speedo cable so mileage may not tell you the whole story. Lots of really good aftermarket items to make the DR a MUCH better bike than stock. A better seat should top list of improvements, IMO.

Have fun.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #71973
AeroEngineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
It took a few months, but I finally got my ugly stock '06 DR to look less like a giant banana :

2006 DR650 (???)
AeroEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #71974
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
thanks Jeff,

While your on the forum, I was curious if you ever bought Jays (jaminglobal) former motor which he blew up but was reconditioned just prior to his misfortune??

It would be good to know if this motor got back up and running and I remember reading you were going to buy it?? Not sure if you did though.

thanks
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #71975
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
If LexTalionis is amenable to cutting the top of his airbox and upgrading the exhaust I'm still on board for this.

I'd much rather see the test bike have a DG or FMF muffler. My own testing says the GSXR can doesn't breathe quite as well as an aftermarket performance muffler.
Thanks for your offer, however I need to pass on installing an aftermarket exhaust canister. It would have been interesting to see how much the OEM setup could be improved with little more than the cost of jets and airbox alteration, and maybe create a kit for those of us who want to maximize the motor's efficiency/effectiveness without the cost of expensive aftermarket exhausts, for those DR riders who are generally cheap bastards such as myself (owned a KLR before the DR).

And settle this jet needle dispute between Derek and Jeff.

I like the exhaust tone of the OEM canister, my days of upsetting the neighbors with loud exhausts are over. Plus, now it's ME standing in my front yard shaking a fist at the Harleys that roll by with straight pipes!

Appears you have a good candidate with the appropriate exhaust living in S.F.

Lex
Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #71976
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Is it cold in here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I'm wondering if DR650's that are subject to real winter cold are far more prone to having the screws come out vs. a DR650, like mine, that has been a Florida bike all its life. At over 7k miles, while every other bolt on the exterior was coming out due to really high RPM riding I was doing for really fast commuting, my NSU screws were most likely just as tight as they were when new.

I was surprised, but now I'm not. I'm thinking that plastic of the NSU, itself, is what is shrinking in the colder climates and de-tensioning the screws.
There is ALWAYS shrinkage in colder climates!!

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #71977
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,250
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobain View Post
Instead of buying the smaller triangular front sprocket retainer to fit with 14t sprockets, can't you just cut the stock one down? Does anyone get what I'm saying here.
I get it and that's the way I feel too. Right from the start, I just ground down my stock retainer so the chain wouldn't contact its outer circumference when the 14T sprocket was fitted. Swapping and changing front sprocket sizes has never been an issue using stock retainer like this for over 40000km. Always use blue locktight on the three retainer bolts because they are soft and don't take much torque.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #71978
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I'm wondering if DR650's that are subject to real winter cold are far more prone to having the screws come out vs. a DR650, like mine, that has been a Florida bike all its life. At over 7k miles, while every other bolt on the exterior was coming out due to really high RPM riding I was doing for really fast commuting, my NSU screws were most likely just as tight as they were when new.

I was surprised, but now I'm not. I'm thinking that plastic of the NSU, itself, is what is shrinking in the colder climates and de-tensioning the screws.
The temp differentials between running and ambient is big enough without taking freezing style temps into account.

We may have a couple of overnight <0*C temps per year and both my DR's have had loose NSU screws (one had one missing)...
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #71979
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,772
If I was making more money selling a particular exhaust system, I'm sure that I could justify it with charts/pulses/stats; who wouldn't? All I know is that I am fully satisfied with my mediocre, relatively quiet, non packable, stock-appearing though obviously inferior to the aftermarket,GSXR pipe.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #71980
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroEngineer View Post

Nicely done. I just put that same front fender on in my change over from blue to all white. Same Gen II Wolfman set up, too.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #71981
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroEngineer View Post
It took a few months, but I finally got my ugly stock '06 DR to look less like a giant banana :

Looks amazing! So what headlight are you running on it? It almost looks like you took the light off a KLX250.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #71982
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghollaba View Post
Would appreciate some input guys.

Getting back into riding after selling the 1150GS and wanting something used fro under $5,000.
Primary use back roads, 15 miles to work in good weather, dirt/gravel fire roads.
No toll roads, some highway but no long distances.

The DR650SE sits well, going to go ride one this week.

Is there a year to stay away from?
Anything to look for?

Would the dreaded ugly KLR650, "gasp" be a better jeep, ugly ugly bike...?

Appreciate it.
The KLR will be much more like the 1150GS. If all you're doing is commuting with some light dirt and gravel roads, I would recommend the KLR over the DR. The KLR is going to be a much better commuting/highway machine as the wind protection is noticeably better. If you're just doing dirt roads and fire roads, the DR doesn't exactly walk away from the KLR. The guy I used to ride with was on a KLR for a couple years before upgrading to a Tiger 800, and I was never really able to get away from him when I was on the DR. When the trails got tighter and more technical, I had the advantage, but I would gladly have traded bikes as soon as we got back on the pavement.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #71983
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Old School vs New School

Pre vs. Post '96?

Just your 2 cents.

Cheers
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln

GRinCR screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 12:07 PM Reason: Self nuke and taken elsewhere...
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #71984
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,342
Muffler flow

I just want to add some to the muffler debate.

I think you guys are missing a point: an engine is nothing more than an air pump. The more air you can get in it the more fuel you can add the more HP you get. Simple right?

While everyone is correct that a 650cc pulse of exhaust is harder to quiet then a 250cc pulse- you are missing the most important part of engine dynamics= airflow.

Doing the rough math:

A DR650 with a CFM efficiency of .7 (basic figure for carb 4 cycle engine) flows 56.1 CFM
A GSXR1000 with efficiency of .9 (basic fuel injection 4 cycle engine) flows 190 CFM!

That is about 3.5 times as much air goes through the GSXR as the DR (at max RPM). Even with two mufflers the GSXR mufflers were DESIGNED to flow more air per muffler then the DR engine flows.

How much air per pulse really has nothing to do with HP numbers; only dB.

Also, on a side note. When designing or selecting an air filter they recommend a filter that flows 2 times the air the engine requires.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #71985
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
There is ALWAYS shrinkage in colder climates!!

Heirhead
I WAS IN THE POOL!!!
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote