ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #72046
motolab
Beastly Adventurer
 
motolab's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
i dont suppose you Derek or Jeff at procycle sell these little beauties?
On second thought, K&N filter oil is meant for gauze, and may not be the best for use on foam. I can tell you that it's nowhere near as tacky as the foam filter oils I'm familiar with.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #72047
bosley1980
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Middle Europe
Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
I have had these on my DR for over a year; 19.99 well spent
HI I've seen this type that cracking...
Therefore, I introduced a slight improvement
MORE INFO HERE AT XT600E THREAD


or


If you want more info - look the forum vendor section

bosley1980 screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 05:07 AM
bosley1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #72048
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 9,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosley1980 View Post
HI I've seen this type that cracking...
Therefore, I introduced a slight improvement
MORE INFO HERE AT XT600E THREAD

If you want more info - look the forum vendor section
Those are too nice for my bike.
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #72049
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
On second thought, K&N filter oil is meant for gauze, and may not be the best for use on foam. I can tell you that it's nowhere near as tacky as the foam filter oils I'm familiar with.

Regards,

Derek
If you can't get foam filter oil, chainsaw bar oil is good, they are madly cutting down the forests in SE Asia so might be available. Next best is automotive gear oil which I'd assume is available most anywhere.
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #72050
rpet
Awesometown
 
rpet's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, California
Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosley1980 View Post
HI I've seen this type that cracking...
Therefore, I introduced a slight improvement
MORE INFO HERE AT XT600E THREAD

If you want more info - look the forum vendor section
How about you show us pics of your DR pegs and post the prices here, instead of linking to random other forums with no costs or mention of the DR?


PS - pegs look nice!
__________________
'76 Xl250 '04 XR250R '09 DR650 '10 TR450
Ride The West - OBDR, CDR & western TAT - July 2013
Instagram with plenty of bike pics.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surfboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #72051
805gregg
Just Stroming along
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Ojai, Ca
Oddometer: 1,551
I got a pair of those cheap, chinese junk foot pegs, they looked like pot metal, I wouldn't even put them on my bike, I couldn't imagine how it would feel when I was standing on them and they failed. I mounted Fastway, a good American product.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #72052
opium89
Beastly Adventurer
 
opium89's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Hutto, Texas
Oddometer: 1,136
Does anyone know where I can buy a starter for a 2000 model for a good price? Aftermarket or rebuilt is preferred given the price of a new one. The dealer tried to get me one, but it's totally the wrong part. And don't even suggest eBay unless you've personally had a good experience. Their feedback is atrocious.
__________________
Tea parties are for little girls with imaginary friends.
opium89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #72053
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PPCLI-Jim's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Victoria BC where I ride year round.
Oddometer: 221
there was a stock stator for sale in the flea market under DR 650 parts for sale, Ill try to dig it up for you and send a PM
__________________
I'm not saying to kill all the stupid people . .. Just remove the warning labels and let nature run it's course


http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #72054
opium89
Beastly Adventurer
 
opium89's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Hutto, Texas
Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCLI-Jim View Post
there was a stock stator for sale in the flea market under DR 650 parts for sale, Ill try to dig it up for you and send a PM

Starter, stator....whatever it takes.

__________________
Tea parties are for little girls with imaginary friends.
opium89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #72055
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
VooDooDaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: SW Iowa
Oddometer: 163
Random shit

Hey Fellas,

Been breathing some life back into a still nice, but somewhat neglected 2000 model. Thought I'd share a tip, but with 72,000+ replies, it prolly has been mentioned before?

Recently bought and have used this Metal Rescue on some much neglected parts of the my DR650. Gotta give them props. The stuff works great. Pics of the rear axle; they were so coated with grey, furry oxidation that I couldn't read the numbers indented into the metal graduation/snails. After an overnight soak in the metal rescue: As good as new. Seems to work on other non-ferrous metals as well. Stripped the brake calipers and brackets, soaked them overnight in Metal Rescue after a bath in soapy water. Like new (sorry no pix).

Anyway good stuff. After pix of the rear axle:



VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #72056
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
Hey Fellas,

Been breathing some life back into a still nice, but somewhat neglected 2000 model. Thought I'd share a tip, but with 72,000+ replies, it prolly has been mentioned before?

Recently bought and have used this Metal Rescue on some much neglected parts of the my DR650. Gotta give them props. The stuff works great. Pics of the rear axle; they were so coated with grey, furry oxidation that I couldn't read the numbers indented into the metal graduation/snails. After an overnight soak in the metal rescue: As good as new. Seems to work on other non-ferrous metals as well. Stripped the brake calipers and brackets, soaked them overnight in Metal Rescue after a bath in soapy water. Like new (sorry no pix).

Anyway good stuff. After pix of the rear axle:



Looks nice - what is that, an acid?
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #72057
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
VooDooDaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: SW Iowa
Oddometer: 163
I'm Impacted...!

And here's what I had to resort to after the PO must have used an impact gun to tighten the inspection/crank cover:

VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #72058
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
VooDooDaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: SW Iowa
Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Looks nice - what is that, an acid?
No. I don't know what it is, but its completely safe on the hands, rags; you name it. I had my bare hands covered in the stuff. Almost no smell, no fumes, completely harmless to everything except rust!
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #72059
opium89
Beastly Adventurer
 
opium89's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Hutto, Texas
Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
And here's what I had to resort to after the PO must have used an impact gun to tighten the inspection/crank cover:

Been there, done that.
__________________
Tea parties are for little girls with imaginary friends.
opium89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #72060
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
And here's what I had to resort to after the PO must have used an impact gun to tighten the inspection/crank cover:

Helps if you try to crack it loose when the motor is good and hot. Then a little anti seize on the threads makes it easier next time.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015