Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #72106
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post

The likely change will be zero. The airbox, jet kit and muffler are the bigger jetting issues. If it ran well before, it will most likely run well with the PowerBomb. Was your header weld ground or did the pipe break on its own?
Thanks..that's what I assumed.

Weld was not ground, this it what it looked like once removed and "pieced together"

Old 12-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #72107
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
What's the likley change it will need carb tuning switching from the oem header to the PowerBomb which is larger diameter than the oem but not as large as the "oversize" FMF pipe?
No jetting change will be necessary.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #72108
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Soupy's links

I started a thread asking all if they had any experience with Soupy's adjustable lowering links, but I thought I'd ask here for DR650 specific info. So, does anyoneone havce any thoughts? She'd link about another inch, but the idea of being able to go lower for learning, and raise back up again as confidence and skills allow, plus being able to adjust for (future) additions sounds like a great way to go. Let me know what you think.

http://www.soupysperformance.com/cat...00/7531010.htm

MV
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #72109
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,274
Quote:

Weld was not ground, this it what it looked like once removed and "pieced together".
Good photo, thanks for lighting it up so we could actually see the bulge. Mine looks just like that. Yours is the second one I've seen broken in this thread, the other wasn't ground either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
I started a thread asking all if they had any experience with Soupy's adjustable lowering links, but I thought I'd ask here for DR650 specific info. So, does anyoneone havce any thoughts? She'd link about another inch, but the idea of being able to go lower for learning, and raise back up again as confidence and skills allow, plus being able to adjust for (future) additions sounds like a great way to go. Let me know what you think.

http://www.soupysperformance.com/cat...00/7531010.htm

MV
I like adjustability in a situation like this, you don't know what you need or where you'll end up. Don't forget you'll need to do something with the kickstand.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #72110
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
blackcap - great pics.

SPOT II's are on promo this weekend. Buy one + service plan with tracking - get the unit free via rebate.
PLUS TWO! Wonderful Photos!
Can you tell us where you were traveling? Bali or Indonesia somewhere ?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #72111
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Steve View Post
Metalgear do one - has to be ordered in though
http://metalgear.com.au/view_model_d...?model_id=8798
Ta
Old 12-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #72112
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Weld was not ground, this it what it looked like once removed and "pieced together"

I think I aked this before, but was there any 'force' required when you assembled this all originally? If so, that's likely the cause. It should all fit together without having to use any significant force on any bits one way or the other to get it to line up.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #72113
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Just wondering if anyone is aware of an alternate to the EBC floating one. Arguably, its not really suited to ADV type riding. I just want a floating disc and not the calliper adaptor. I've seen references to a Titax one, but can't find a listing.
I have been thinking of using one of Galfers 270mm kits for mine (DRZ front end ) I thought the original DRZ one would be to weak for the DR but its surprisingly ok. Not great though and is showing signs of overheating. Not sure if the 320 would be to much ?
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #72114
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
No jetting change will be necessary.
From the source...thanks!
Old 12-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #72115
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I think I aked this before, but was there any 'force' required when you assembled this all originally? If so, that's likely the cause. It should all fit together without having to use any significant force on any bits one way or the other to get it to line up.

No force applied, simply removed the muffler, added the midpipe and mounted the X40F0X with the hardware supplided by Kientech.

I am a little ham fisted and really tightened up the muffler and "squished" the rubber spacer supplied in the mount kit.

I'll loosen everything up and retighten on the install making sure nothing has any undo force.......waiting on the gaskets on order from the dealer.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #72116
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Not sure if the 320 would be too much ?
I wondered that myself. I have a 20 mile twisty dirt section that I ride quickly with lots of flat, slippery turns. Accelerate, brake hard, turn, accelerate, brake hard, turn, over and over....... But by the end of the 20 miles I started riding slower (coasting into the turns) because my right forearm was starting to pump up.

With the 320 that is no longer an issue, not even a little bit.

The other question I had, am I going to grab too much front brake and drop myself? I wondered if I'd use the same lever pull that I've used forever, which would be too much now. Happily that wasn't a problem either. My muscle memory learned the new, lower pull and adjusted to the traction available, not overbraking. I don't trail brake with the front any more though.

I imagine with your two up riding, the 320 would be sweet. Look into the new Galfer that Procycle is expecting shortly.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #72117
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I wondered that myself. I have a 20 mile twisty dirt section that I ride quickly with lots of flat, slippery turns. Accelerate, brake hard, turn, accelerate, brake hard, turn, over and over....... But by the end of the 20 miles I started riding slower (coasting into the turns) because my right forearm was starting to pump up.

With the 320 that is no longer an issue, not even a little bit.

The other question I had, am I going to grab too much front brake and drop myself? I wondered if I'd use the same lever pull that I've used forever, which would be too much now. Happily that wasn't a problem either. My muscle memory learned the new, lower pull and adjusted to the traction available, not overbraking. I don't trail brake with the front any more though.

I imagine with your two up riding, the 320 would be sweet. Look into the new Galfer that Procycle is expecting shortly.
Everything else in my fleet has much more sensitive brakes than my DR, even with the 11 mm Brembo MC. I am always recalibrating my right arm. It was interesting when I first got my FE650, and those who rode it considered the brakes more savage than the throttle

Old 12-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #72118
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Rebuilt Forks

Installed the new PC .55 fork springs a few weeks ago and that didn't fix the loose forks so ordered the rebuilt kit (seals and bushings). Also installed the 8.3 shock spring at that time.

Got the fork bushings etc installed today. The forks are much better with no wiggle now. With the heavier springs front and rear the bike felt in complete control doing 40 mph down a gravel street. Dark and rainy now, so will do a longer test ride tomorrow.

edit: photos posted

Left fork done and back on the bike. Right fork is next. 50K on the bike and OEM seals not leaking!

The zip tie shaped like a T is my measuring device (6.5" from top of fork to oil level). The old fork seals and scrap of PVC pipe were the installation tools for the new fork seals. Worked OK.

Dave

smilin jack screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 01:34 PM
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #72119
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Quote:
I like adjustability in a situation like this, you don't know what you need or where you'll end up. Don't forget you'll need to do something with the kickstand.
Yeah, we've got the shorter factory short kickstand on there now, but that means that we also have a brand new stock factory kickstand sitting on a shelf in the garage. So we can play with that. Maybe we can make it adjustable also. If we can get some adjustable levers as well, she might never need to ride, she can just sit and drink coffee and perform motorcycle maintenance. I hear it's a zen-like experience.

MV
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #72120
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
Thumbs down

tried to push start my bike with weak battery. Fail big time.
with a friend's help too.

we gave up and jump from a car battery. (car was off)
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote