User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #72361
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Cheers dljocky
Haven't off roaded her properly yet , too shinny !!!!! but put it this way "the DRs staying" simple, tough and fits me perfect horses for corses !!
I've bought the Tenere for a planned tour dsown the West Coast of Africa in 2014 so need to spend loads on her yet. I wanted to take the DR but she's a 96 and i fancied something a little newer for the trip, that being said i my not have it in a year !!!
I will be dropping the motor on the DR and doing the 3rd and possibly other gears this year so MAYBE she'll go back to Africa , done Morocco twice on her without a hickup.
Phil
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 AM   #72362
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I've used both, but tend to go with Blue Loctite. Don't need it every time as it'll clag up a bit with the residue in there and do the job. Something, Loctite, or antiseize, reduces or eliminates the corrosion and bonding, so both work, but low strength Loctite is good.

Its also possible that the header didn't quite snug up, and after a heating cooling cycle, did, and there was then no tension on the bolts. A new gasket can exacerbate this behaviour.

Heat also weakens Loctite, so if you are trying to pull something apart, especially small screws, some heat can assist by not only expanding things, but weakening the Loctite.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I tend to use blue loctite regularly but never used it on exhaust header bolts. I did use a new gasket so I think maybe the intital run didtn't get things hot enough for a proper re-torque. Will pick up some new bolts and will add a little blue locktite.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:21 AM   #72363
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
Most hand warmers use 20-30 watts which is only 1.75 - 2.5 amps. The switched thing in the dash harness would handle that just fine. But, don't also use it for a full jacket liner and pants or generally load it up.
The only thing I have on that switched pair is a 12v cigarette outlet for charging my cell phone. I don't think a 5v USB charger is putting much of a strain on my electrical system, but I can always just not use them both at the same time. If I remember Webbikeworld's DR650 project bike, the electrical system was a bit under powered. I don't know if I would want to run heated grips and heated clothing at the same time anyways. If that pair can handle it, then I'm going to move the grips over to it. The less I have to worry about it, the better.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #72364
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,368
Happy New Year everyone.

My resolution; RIDE MORE
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #72365
gbmaz
Power Newb

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty rocket View Post
happy new year everyone.

My resolution; ride more
+100.

"You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #72366
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
dr650 engine on ebay

seems a mite expensive, but still cheaper than installing new nova racing 3rd gear set, for you paranoid types...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130825591884

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #72367
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
Cheers dljocky
Haven't off roaded her properly yet , too shinny !!!!! but put it this way "the DRs staying" simple, tough and fits me perfect horses for corses !!
I've bought the Tenere for a planned tour dsown the West Coast of Africa in 2014 so need to spend loads on her yet. I wanted to take the DR but she's a 96 and i fancied something a little newer for the trip, that being said i my not have it in a year !!!
I will be dropping the motor on the DR and doing the 3rd and possibly other gears this year so MAYBE she'll go back to Africa , done Morocco twice on her without a hickup.
Phil
She's a beaut Phil! In the US we've been proper cheated by Yamaha's reluctance to import this bike. She is a bit heavy though ... but I'd bet a good traveler.

A couple mods I thought about if I ever got hold of one would be:
1. Go with a single exhaust
2. Eliminate one front brake rotor.

Right there you've knocked off about 20 kgs. (+ -) Brake rotors/calipers are super heavy ... as are stock mufflers.

I'm thinking those two Mods would trim the BIG Tenere' down into DR650 territory.

You are one Hell of a Mud rider! I'd have been on my ass in that stuff!
(on my DR anyway) Cheers mate!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #72368
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post

I tend to use blue loctite regularly but never used it on exhaust header bolts. I did use a new gasket so I think maybe the intital run didtn't get things hot enough for a proper re-torque. Will pick up some new bolts and will add a little blue locktite.
I believe there is high temp loc tite. Vague memories from A&P school. Don't over torque ... let the Loc tite hold things. Did you use a new Copper ring/washer in there? (I think it's Copper?) re-anneal the old one if you haven't done that. (Heat up to cherry red, let cool ... done)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #72369
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Heavy, BUT well balanced , lighter than i thought, the cans that are on are after market, Arrow and sound the bollox, i have tought about dropping a disc , we'll see !!! I am going to try a 14 tooth for off road as the 15 standard is to high for me.
Maybe Yam will change their mind and let you guys over the pond have a go

ps ...................there's still no beating the DR what a bike

Cheers Phil
Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #72370
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
you probably wouldn't want to do on any $5000 GayTeeEmm? See below:

]
Is that what a Murcan rides?

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #72371
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 344
Question Couple of fork Questions

I tore down my forks today in anticipation of my new parts showing up soon and a couple of questions came to mind. First on a progressively wound spring do the tight coils go up or down or isn't there much difference? A MC shop had the forks apart before I owned the bike so I can't be sure the way they came out would have been the way the factory put them in.

Secondly what are you guys using for seal drivers on these forks? Is there a size PVC pipe that works?
Carl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #72372
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
I tore down my forks today in anticipation of my new parts showing up soon and a couple of questions came to mind. First on a progressively wound spring do the tight coils go up or down or isn't there much difference? A MC shop had the forks apart before I owned the bike so I can't be sure the way they came out would have been the way the factory put them in.

Secondly what are you guys using for seal drivers on these forks? Is there a size PVC pipe that works?

Tight coils up is the way they come from the factory.

2" PVC pipe works, you can use the old seals to drive the new ones in, they fit nicely on top of each other.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #72373
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
2" PVC pipe works, you can use the old seals to drive the new ones in, they fit nicely on top of each other.
I used the wire brush on my bench grinder around the outside of the old seal to take the rubber coating off; so it wouldn't stick in the fork tube on top of the new seal (someone else's idea, werked fer me).

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #72374
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
Thumb Loc Tite or anti=sieze that is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post

I got my new Clymer manual today from ProCycle (thanks!) and I looked through it quickly and found what it says for the header bolts.

Page 66

6.b. Install a new gasket jnto the cylinder head exhaust port.
6.c. Apply anti-seize compound to the threads.
6.d. Tighten the exhaust pipe retaining bolts securely.

6.f. Retighten the bolts after running the engine and allowing it to cool.

I didn't look at my Suzi factory manual but I expect it to say the same thing.
Anti-seize and retighten.

Not sure what torque value "securely" is though
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #72375
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
I mounted, dismounted, and remounted my first rear tire today. Pinched the tube, patched it, then it leaked again, and i tore up the bead of the tire pretty good. That will be the last time i try to do that. I realize why i pay $25 now.
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote