Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #72466
gippyphil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Took the DR for a quick run up my (gravel) road with the new bars - feels great, and the extra height makes it way more comfortable to ride standing.

It's about 40C here today (105F) so time to hunker down in the house again!
gippyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #72467
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i've read their FAQ so why the 35W DDM kit vrs the 55w?
just to save 20W? obviously the 35w kit puts out a ton of light but will the 55w put out even more (if saving those 20w are not an issue) and not damage the DR housing? anyone here run the 55w kit?
Won't damage housing ... HID run cool! ... but might damage the eyeballs of on coming traffic!

Quote:
so you used only the low beam kit on the DR and that is more than enough light have the low option only?
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/817...0#entry9193868
I installed the DDM Tuning HID on my Tiger over two years ago. I went 35 watt based on what others had recommended. Some claimed with the 55 watt (SUPER BRIGHT) that too many people flashed him on the highway, even with the beam adjusted down. The Tiger guys used the 55 Watt for the Hi beam bulb. (Tiger has TWO headlights)

When I got the 35 Watt for the Tiger I was pleased. But I DO plan to install
the 55 Watt for the High Beam light.

I think you could go with a single 55 watt on your DR but just make sure you aim the beam angle with you (and gear) on the bike. Also, some say it's SO BRIGHT, cops will U turn and come after you. It you get the DUAL filament HID then you can switch back and forth ... but you'll have more wires to run back and forth from battery.

Your choice. The plain old 35 Watt is roughly (to my eye) 3 times brighter than the standard 55 Watt H-4 bulb on the DR650. So big step up there.
55 Watt would be AWESOME on a dark, lonely road ... or riding the Desert at night.

And YES ... I was also thinking about saving juice on the DR when I picked the 35 Watt version. (my Tiger puts out about 450 Watts ... so no issues there) I have run my DR Battery dead on several occasions from running my Gerbing and grips on HI for too long at night. The 20 Watt saving does make a little difference ... no big deal.

Good luck!

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 07:43 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #72468
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
................ It you get the DUAL filament HID then you can switch back and forth ... but you'll have more wires to run back and forth from battery.
They're not a dual filament bulb like we are used to. They are not a filament bulb at all in fact, but a bulb of gas that gets excited and glows brightly when it does. They dip by having a solenoid move the bulb along a rail so the focal point moves inside the lense of the light. If you look at an H4 bulb closely you'll see the 2 filaments in different places, so the dipping H4 HID attempts to mimick that.

Works fine and there isn't much extra wiring, and what there is is all at the headlight. It plugs into the standard H4 socket instead of the original bulb, and has a feed from the battery.

I got a car setup that is pretty much the same price as single bike ones and got some as yet unsued spares.

I just found this site that may assist:
http://www.yourcustomcar.com/hid-lights.html
Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #72469
Rawley83
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumb Fuel Injected DR650

Fellow DR riders,

This is my first post in this forum. I am part of a DR650 Facebook group and some of the guys in that group recommended I join this forum and post my question here; so here it goes!

I need your input. How many of you would be interested in a fuel injection kit for a DR650 if it were readily available? I know Ecotron has a "kit" but I'm not sure how developed it is. I hear that they kind of gave up on it.

I am a mechanical engineer and design/work on unmanned aircraft for a living and am experienced in integrating fuel injection systems on carbureted engines. The ECU system I have in mind would have altitude compensation and would use O2 feedback for fined tuned mixture quality.

Is this something of interest to proceed on? How much would someone be willing to pay for a complete product like this?

Thanks,
Rawley83
Rawley83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #72470
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawley83 View Post
I know Ecotron has a "kit" but I'm not sure how developed it is. I hear that they kind of gave up on it.
No, they didn't give up on it, the kit is ready and is shipping; the history of it is well documented.

If you think you can provide a better EFI kit (either in quality, ease of installation, or price), then you have a good business opportunity.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #72471
Rawley83
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
No, they didn't give up on it, the kit is ready and is shipping; the history of it is well documented.

If you think you can provide a better EFI kit (either in quality, ease of installation, or price), then you have a good business opportunity.
Thanks for the feedback. I was misinformed then.
Rawley83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #72472
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawley83 View Post
Fellow DR riders,

This is my first post in this forum. I am part of a DR650 Facebook group and some of the guys in that group recommended I join this forum and post my question here; so here it goes!

I need your input. How many of you would be interested in a fuel injection kit for a DR650 if it were readily available? I know Ecotron has a "kit" but I'm not sure how developed it is. I hear that they kind of gave up on it.

I am a mechanical engineer and design/work on unmanned aircraft for a living and am experienced in integrating fuel injection systems on carbureted engines. The ECU system I have in mind would have altitude compensation and would use O2 feedback for fined tuned mixture quality.

Is this something of interest to proceed on? How much would someone be willing to pay for a complete product like this?

Thanks,
Rawley83
sure we're all ears.
here's the back story for those who don't know.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725795 >>>
http://drriders.com/topic2824.html

&

http://mxrob.com/mxrob_005.htm
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/761...ction-project/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #72473
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post

for some reason, however, the kit was not 100% polished for PnP resale and ProCycle did not pick it up. for the same price as a pumper carb, we're not seeing people jump on that kit so something is up. it seems like it's 99% done and that 1% is the hardest and holding people back. maybe i'm wrong.

if it was my baby, i'd be actively on the boards pushing with 2nd level early adopter discounts (like how Ricor did that with Intiminators) and working the forums for interest and support. seems Ecotrons said here it is figure it out, i'll help some but fine tune my product for me. I think that is giving people pause. guys like Jeff @ Procycle release new products and are there everyday helping out with support online...that's the last 1%. there is a reason i'm ADV most every day...i'd love to say it's for all you fine gents, but it's to move Butler Maps forward.

maybe rawley83 can work with Matt on that last 1% and even be the rep. i'd like to see it at 100% as I started that rabbit hole.
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 10:25 PM
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #72474
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
They're not a dual filament bulb like we are used to. They are not a filament bulb at all in fact, but a bulb of gas that gets excited and glows brightly when it does. They dip by having a solenoid move the bulb along a rail so the focal point moves inside the lense of the light. If you look at an H4 bulb closely you'll see the 2 filaments in different places, so the dipping H4 HID attempts to mimick that.

Works fine and there isn't much extra wiring, and what there is is all at the headlight. It plugs into the standard H4 socket instead of the original bulb, and has a feed from the battery.

I got a car setup that is pretty much the same price as single bike ones and got some as yet unsued spares.

I just found this site that may assist:
http://www.yourcustomcar.com/hid-lights.html
mmm, i'm still on the decision fence as to get the lo 4500K kit or the lo/hi 4500k kit. sounds like 35w is the way to go because of light output and extra juice gained for other items.

currently i'm running those IPF fatboy bulbs and a relay it's better than stock but not ideal at night. adding PC brackets and LED aux lights is an option but more $ than this kit and more crap hanging off the bike waiting to be whacked.

what i find during night riding is i like the low beam light spread most all the time anyway except for maybe faster cornering and seeing around corners with hi beams. if the lo kit has 5x the light as H4 then i'm leaning towards that as ideal unless some is using a lo/hi and gives a compelling reason why having the hi option is essential. i'm not a big night rider to start with and like to ride conservatively anyway when the sun goes down.
Butler Maps website:
Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #72475
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
mmm, i'm still on the decision fence as to get the lo 4500K kit or the lo/hi 4500k kit. sounds like 35w is the way to go because of light output and extra juice gained for other items.

currently i'm running those IPF fatboy bulbs and a relay it's better than stock but not ideal at night. adding PC brackets and LED aux lights is an option but more $ than this kit and more crap hanging off the bike waiting to be whacked.

what i find during night riding is i like the low beam light spread most all the time anyway except for maybe faster cornering and seeing around corners with hi beams. if the lo kit has 5x the light as H4 then i'm leaning towards that as ideal unless some is using a lo/hi and gives a compelling reason why having the hi option is essential. i'm not a big night rider to start with and like to ride conservatively anyway when the sun goes down.
I don't plan to ride at night, but it happens from time to time.

I'd estimate the 35 w HID to double the light output of the previous +80% H4 fitted, with about double the depth and noticably more spread. Remember its somewhere between a square and cube function. Depends a bit on the reflector design. Twice the light output doesn't equal twice the range. The HID works OK in the DR and the low beam cutoff works good so no issues with blinding oncoming traffic.

The LEDs I have don't offer a lot of depth, the HID does that, but they noticably improve the spread. Tucked in and up, mounted to the barkbusters, they are out of the way and not too vulnerable.

Get a dipping HID, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #72476
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
So after a good test ride with the heated grips this morning in <10 degree weather, I've decided that heated grips are going to be mandatory on any bike I own in the future. If you don't have them, they're worth it.
Hello,

What kind of grips did you put on? On / off or many positions? The grips that is.

Thanks,

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #72477
felixblack1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
for some reason, however, the kit was not 100% polished for PnP resale and ProCycle did not pick it up. for the same price as a pumper carb, we're not seeing people jump on that kit so something is up. it seems like it's 99% done and that 1% is the hardest and holding people back. maybe i'm wrong.
I think for most EFI would defeat the purpose of why most bought the simple DR.
felixblack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #72478
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixblack1 View Post
Absolutely.

If I wanted EFI, I would have bought pretty much any other available dual sport and probably the TE-630. For me, EFI on the DR is worth very little.
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #72479
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixblack1 View Post
if there was a truly plug-n-play efi kit awailable for the dr650; i definitely woulda considered it instead of the fcr39 carb i got. efi is far simpler than carbs, imo. and more efficient. and they break far less often. it's yust that when the do break, it can be more complicated.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #72480
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Was looking at a DR 650 or a DRZ400 to put in the garage for some off road exploration on forest service roads, in north Georgia...I have a DR in my sites but want to make sure it's the one for my needs, and I have to wait a couple of months before pulling the trigger.
I would be riding like 60% streets to get to the trails, would there be a big weight difference between the two?

Is there significant difference in the two off road?
How about maintenance between the two?

I realize I'm bringing up, "a dead horse" here, so sorry, but just a couple of replies with the right information will work for me.

Thanks for the info,
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote