Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #72466
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
They're not a dual filament bulb like we are used to. They are not a filament bulb at all in fact, but a bulb of gas that gets excited and glows brightly when it does. They dip by having a solenoid move the bulb along a rail so the focal point moves inside the lense of the light. If you look at an H4 bulb closely you'll see the 2 filaments in different places, so the dipping H4 HID attempts to mimick that.

Works fine and there isn't much extra wiring, and what there is is all at the headlight. It plugs into the standard H4 socket instead of the original bulb, and has a feed from the battery.

I got a car setup that is pretty much the same price as single bike ones and got some as yet unsued spares.

I just found this site that may assist:
http://www.yourcustomcar.com/hid-lights.html
mmm, i'm still on the decision fence as to get the lo 4500K kit or the lo/hi 4500k kit. sounds like 35w is the way to go because of light output and extra juice gained for other items.

currently i'm running those IPF fatboy bulbs and a relay it's better than stock but not ideal at night. adding PC brackets and LED aux lights is an option but more $ than this kit and more crap hanging off the bike waiting to be whacked.

what i find during night riding is i like the low beam light spread most all the time anyway except for maybe faster cornering and seeing around corners with hi beams. if the lo kit has 5x the light as H4 then i'm leaning towards that as ideal unless some is using a lo/hi and gives a compelling reason why having the hi option is essential. i'm not a big night rider to start with and like to ride conservatively anyway when the sun goes down.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #72467
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
mmm, i'm still on the decision fence as to get the lo 4500K kit or the lo/hi 4500k kit. sounds like 35w is the way to go because of light output and extra juice gained for other items.

currently i'm running those IPF fatboy bulbs and a relay it's better than stock but not ideal at night. adding PC brackets and LED aux lights is an option but more $ than this kit and more crap hanging off the bike waiting to be whacked.

what i find during night riding is i like the low beam light spread most all the time anyway except for maybe faster cornering and seeing around corners with hi beams. if the lo kit has 5x the light as H4 then i'm leaning towards that as ideal unless some is using a lo/hi and gives a compelling reason why having the hi option is essential. i'm not a big night rider to start with and like to ride conservatively anyway when the sun goes down.
I don't plan to ride at night, but it happens from time to time.

I'd estimate the 35 w HID to double the light output of the previous +80% H4 fitted, with about double the depth and noticably more spread. Remember its somewhere between a square and cube function. Depends a bit on the reflector design. Twice the light output doesn't equal twice the range. The HID works OK in the DR and the low beam cutoff works good so no issues with blinding oncoming traffic.

The LEDs I have don't offer a lot of depth, the HID does that, but they noticably improve the spread. Tucked in and up, mounted to the barkbusters, they are out of the way and not too vulnerable.

Get a dipping HID, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #72468
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
So after a good test ride with the heated grips this morning in <10 degree weather, I've decided that heated grips are going to be mandatory on any bike I own in the future. If you don't have them, they're worth it.
Hello,

What kind of grips did you put on? On / off or many positions? The grips that is.

Thanks,

Heirhead
heirhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #72469
felixblack1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
for some reason, however, the kit was not 100% polished for PnP resale and ProCycle did not pick it up. for the same price as a pumper carb, we're not seeing people jump on that kit so something is up. it seems like it's 99% done and that 1% is the hardest and holding people back. maybe i'm wrong.
I think for most EFI would defeat the purpose of why most bought the simple DR.
felixblack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #72470
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixblack1 View Post
Absolutely.

If I wanted EFI, I would have bought pretty much any other available dual sport and probably the TE-630. For me, EFI on the DR is worth very little.
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #72471
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixblack1 View Post
if there was a truly plug-n-play efi kit awailable for the dr650; i definitely woulda considered it instead of the fcr39 carb i got. efi is far simpler than carbs, imo. and more efficient. and they break far less often. it's yust that when the do break, it can be more complicated.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #72472
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Was looking at a DR 650 or a DRZ400 to put in the garage for some off road exploration on forest service roads, in north Georgia...I have a DR in my sites but want to make sure it's the one for my needs, and I have to wait a couple of months before pulling the trigger.
I would be riding like 60% streets to get to the trails, would there be a big weight difference between the two?

Is there significant difference in the two off road?
How about maintenance between the two?

I realize I'm bringing up, "a dead horse" here, so sorry, but just a couple of replies with the right information will work for me.

Thanks for the info,
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #72473
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
Absolutely.

If I wanted EFI, I would have bought pretty much any other available dual sport and probably the TE-630. For me, EFI on the DR is worth very little.

Pretty much my sentiment.

I have a friend with 3 Huskys. TE610 carb'd, a TE310 FI and a 630SM FI. He had to buy expensive software to make the FI's run right. The carb'd bike, he just rides it. I purposely stayed away from FI. Don't understand it and I'm too old to learn.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #72474
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

What kind of grips did you put on? On / off or many positions? The grips that is.

Thanks,

Heirhead
They're the Oxford heated grips that Twisted Throttle sells. I believe they were the "Touring" style. Compared to the ProTaper grips I had on there before, these are like gripping solid rock, but they're hot. They have four separate adjustments for heat, but I don't really see why you would use anything other than 100%.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #72475
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Was looking at a DR 650 or a DRZ400 to put in the garage for some off road exploration on forest service roads, in north Georgia...I have a DR in my sites but want to make sure it's the one for my needs, and I have to wait a couple of months before pulling the trigger.
I would be riding like 60% streets to get to the trails, would there be a big weight difference between the two?

Is there significant difference in the two off road?
How about maintenance between the two?

I realize I'm bringing up, "a dead horse" here, so sorry, but just a couple of replies with the right information will work for me.

Thanks for the info,
depending on how tough the trails you plan to ride are and what kind of tar and how much you have to ride (miles) to get there.

DRZ400 is gonna be better as the terrain get's tougher, but the DR will be nicer while getting there on tar. Gnarly single track will tire you out on a DR650. (that's what my KTM400 is for). The DR650 is the bike you want if it's gonna be dirt roads and jeep roads. Easier trails are fine too, but rock gardens and deep mud are just no fun. (not much better on a DRZ either) The weight difference is about 50 lbs IIRC.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #72476
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

Thanks,

Heirhead
Any bike I own gets heated grips. First set was Oxford; they were pricey, heated very well, but were hard as a rock and buzzed my hands to death. Nowadays I use the undergrip heaters (Kimpex, Trackside, Tusk) with my choice of grips.

Sarah
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #72477
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
depending on how tough the trails you plan to ride are and what kind of tar and how much you have to ride (miles) to get there.

DRZ400 is gonna be better as the terrain get's tougher, but the DR will be nicer while getting there on tar. Gnarly single track will tire you out on a DR650. (that's what my KTM400 is for). The DR650 is the bike you want if it's gonna be dirt roads and jeep roads. Easier trails are fine too, but rock gardens and deep mud are just no fun. (not much better on a DRZ either) The weight difference is about 50 lbs IIRC.
So, it's possible to set up the suspension on the DR to handle off road applications (like a DRZ)? I guess really stiff. Are there serious springs or other aftermarket products (I'm sure tons) that handle suspension issues? Can you recommend any good websites for these products? Thanks
I'd like to get the rear suspension as high as possible if that makes sense, the most clearance possible between tire and fender...
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #72478
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
So, it's possible to set up the suspension on the DR to handle off road applications (like a DRZ)? I guess really stiff. Are there serious springs or other aftermarket products (I'm sure tons) that handle suspension issues? Can you recommend any good websites for these products? Thanks
I'd like to get the rear suspension as high as possible if that makes sense, the most clearance possible between tire and fender...
Contact Rick (NCRick) @ Cogent Dynamics. (a RaceTech shop that specializes in DR650's)

I have his modification in the rear of my DR and RaceTech Emulators and heavy springs in front. I have the stock spring in the rear still.

Just jacking up the bike with heavier springs won't make it good. You need to change some internals. (if you want to push hard offroad) My suspension is now very good. Not KTM good, but very good.( I had work done to the KTM & heavier springs also)
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #72479
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:

I don't know about where you are, but in New York State, I need the high beam to pass the yearly safety inspection. You could just replace the bulb for that day, but why have to do more work than you need.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #72480
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Tiger - I usually offer the following for the "is the DR off road capable?" Suspension upgrades from Procycle, pumper carb, smaller CS sprocket, engine protection, idiot rider.

Both bikes are great choices as soon as you dial in your absolute priorities. I did a 290 mile ride last Friday, about 60 miles of it dirt. Some DRZ riders will say their bikes are too "buzzy" on the slab portions, but with anything, that's personal preference.

Click for video ^^^^^^^ Can't figure out embedding.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...

TrophyHunter screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 07:53 AM
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote