Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #72556
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
This is all pretty normal for a BIG single in cold weather. The white vapor is 100% normal. The weird smell is the fuel treatment product. No worries.

This is what I would do:
1. Adjust Fuel/Air Pilot screw OUT (rich) about 1 turn
2. Turn up Idle (one full turn on idle adjuster) Lower idle once fully warm.
3. Try to store bike indoors if possible.
4. Use 0-40 synthetic oil if possible.
5. Shorai batts need to "warm up" ... so turn on headlight for two minutes before attempting to start bike. Seems counter intuitive but supposedly works.
6. You could take a 1500 Watt hair dryer and run it onto the Carb for 5 minutes before start up. (if that's practical). Carbs like HEAT!
7. If not already done ... cover your bike!
Hello,

Not a DR yarn but good. In New York City.
Few years ago read in Airhead magazine that a guy with a /2 was riding to work and back in freezing weather.
Bike would start good in am as was in his garage. Starting, later in the day to go home was a bitch, most times getting a push. One day he was passing by outside of the building and felt warm air. Well he worked on the stage for Julia Childs TV show and that was the vent to the outside. Next day when he got to work he parked in front of the vent and when he went to go home his bike was warm. Started right up. Kept parking there all during taping. A little twist to the story is one day he met some friends and the were all asking what smelled so good? Seems that all of the air and now his bike was loaded with Julias cooking! He said he had the worlds BEST smelling bike.

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #72557
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
I've had numerous folks tell me that it may be running into the crankcase but according to the sight glass on the side of the crankcase there has been no rise in the level of oil/fluid in the crankcase.
Your oil level NOT rising is a good sign. Although there is room for anything to fail, it's much more llikely that I'll forget to turn the aftermarket petcock off than it is for the stock petcock to fail. if my stocker does fail, I'll buy another stock one.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 06:29 PM Reason: #2200
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #72558
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I just have to put the new grips on (Renthal dual compound, half waffle), but I have a few n00b questions:
  1. Is there any special trick with applying the grip glue, or do you just smear it on and push the grips home?
  2. Is there any special trick with putting the Bark Busters back on the left grip, or do you just cut a hole in the end of the grip?
  3. Based on the pic below, does the 'waffle' on the right hand side point to the front of the bike, or the back, or somewhere else?

1. I don't use grip glue. I use oil. The grip is made of rubber and the oil means you can slide the grip on and then the rubber absorbs the oil and it's on there solid. Never had to lockwire a grip in my life.

2. Once the grips are on use a rubber mallet on the end of the bar and the bar will punch through the grip like a cookie cutter.

3. I would think the waffle bit lines up with your palm.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #72559
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,700
Be sure to check your air box and filter.

Sarah

Quote:
Davis53 and Procycle- Thanks, I thought I'd previously seen something about that but did not remember the particulars. I'll check it out. Two more tanks came with the bike- One (the OEM) only had one tank of fuel put through it before PO bought a yellow one and put it on it. I just noticed the OEM does have a petcock on it.

Motolab, Where is gas coming from? Have not had an opportunity to "Really" look at it and figure it out- its been bad cold and I haven't wanted to mess with it outside, which is where the leaking fuel is making the bike sit.

I've had numerous folks tell me that it may be running into the crankcase but according to the sight glass on the side of the crankcase there has been no rise in the level of oil/fluid in the crankcase.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #72560
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
I just have to put the new grips on (Renthal dual compound, half waffle), but I have a few n00b questions:
  1. Is there any special trick with applying the grip glue, or do you just smear it on and push the grips home?
  2. Is there any special trick with putting the Bark Busters back on the left grip, or do you just cut a hole in the end of the grip?
  3. Based on the pic below, does the 'waffle' on the right hand side point to the front of the bike, or the back, or somewhere else?

1. I don't use grip glue. I use oil. The grip is made of rubber and the oil means you can slide the grip on and then the rubber absorbs the oil and it's on there solid. Never had to lockwire a grip in my life.

2. Once the grips are on use a rubber mallet on the end of the bar and the bar will punch through the grip like a cookie cutter.

3. I would think the waffle bit lines up with your palm.
I only use wire. Much more convenient.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #72561
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
DR650 petcock

Went out and eyeballed the sight glass in the sunshine a few minutes ago. No visible bubble in sight glass. SOOOOooooo looks like some fuel may have made it in there. Took spark plugs out and turned motor over and gas shot out of spark plug holes. Off to get some oil as soon as I figure out what oil to get so I can change it and will take petcock off of extra tank that came with bike and see if it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Your oil level NOT rising is a good sign. Although there is room for anything to fail, it's much more llikely that I'll forget to turn the aftermarket petcock off than it is for the stock petcock to fail. if my stocker does fail, I'll buy another stock one.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #72562
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,396
Quote:
Went out and eyeballed the sight glass in the sunshine a few minutes ago. No visible bubble in sight glass. SOOOOooooo looks like some fuel may have made it in there. Took spark plugs out and turned motor over and gas shot out of spark plug holes. Off to get some oil as soon as I figure out what oil to get so I can change it and will take petcock off of extra tank that came with bike and see if it works.
The primary problem is that the float needle is damaged/worn out and/or the needle seat o-ring is shrunken/hardened/deformed/cracked/otherwise damaged. There could also be a piece of debris stuck between the needle and seat, or the float could have sprung a leak and be filled with fuel, but these two possibilities are rarer than the prior.

Secondarily, the petcock may or may not be at fault as well. The way to check is to disconnect the fuel hose at the petcock and see if fuel exits the hose barb when the lever is in other than the pri position.

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 08:36 PM
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #72563
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,845
Quote:
"Took spark plugs out and turned motor over and gas shot out of spark plug holes."

WATCH OUT For SPARKS when turning that motor over.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #72564
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Timing chain wear

Hi everyone,

I recently took the top end and cylinder out of my 1998 DR650 engine, to replace the leaky base gasket and fix oil burning issues. While I have the top end apart, I thought it's a good time to check for wear on other accessible items.
The real mileage of the bike is unknown to me - the odo says 35.000km but who can trust the odo of a bike that was purchased from Italy?

Up to this point I did not manage to find any information at all on how to check for the timing chain elongation/stretch, also this does not appear to be covered by the service manual. I suspect the real mileage of the bike may be much higher than indicated, maybe well over 100.000kms. So how does one tell if the timing chain is worn beyond service limit?
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #72565
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,305
I am old and could not bring myself to trust the stock petcock. I replaced it soon after I got the bike with a Pingel Petcock.
I have two hands when I turn off the bike my right hits the kill button, the left the petcock,have never forgotten to turn it off.

I have forgotten to turn it on, but then it starts to run out during warmup.

Yeah, I know, I know, but, then I have never had a watch that didn't have hands either.

My 1500 post @ 72722
YnotJP? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #72566
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
petcock jacked up and gas in crankcase

Yep, me again. I had seen in another thread that Rotella T synthetic in the blue bottle was pretty good for DRs. I went to the auto parts store to pick up a couple of new plugs and the Rotella T in the blue jug was Rotella T6 do any of you know if they are one and the same. Oh yeah and its 5w-40. I just don't want to jack up my clutch.
Thanks
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #72567
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP? View Post
Yeah, I know, I know, but, then I have never had a watch that didn't have hands either.

I don't even remember how to read an analog watch and I'm almost old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP? View Post
My 1500 post @ 72722

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #72568
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,396
Quote:
petcock jacked up and gas in crankcase
Shouldn't that say "float valve jacked up and fuel in the crankcase"?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #72569
808650se
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Carb overflow on 2007 dr650se

My d650 is leaking fuel into the oil petcock
still has vacuum just siphoned last of fuel out
What should i do next
Tank off carb off??
808650se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #72570
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I don't even remember how to read an analog watch and I'm almost old.
I still remember the day - 23 years ago - "excuse me sir, what time is it?" me - "quarter to 10"

"What time is that on a digital watch?"

I still have the dent in my forehead from my auto-response.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote