Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #72646
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Motolab and ADV Grifter, fantastic info thanks. I definitely have some white sludge in the breather hose that goes from the crankcase to the airbox. Is that normal? I might look into an oil cooler bypass valve for very cold climate on my trip..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:08 AM   #72647
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Ha! I'm probably more pudgy than you.
No, I get about 6K miles on a rear 705 and could get more, but I change them when they start to wear below where I feel comfortable. Out of all my tires I've ran, this one is a keeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Wait...you got 25k out of a single set of 705's, or you've put a total of 25k on 705's over the course of several tires? I've had the 705's on mine for probably 3000-4000 miles of almost all highway and in town commuting, and the rear tire is definitely starting to square off.

Then again, I'm a pudgy kid.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #72648
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Thanks for that, Doug.

I like the looks of this one:

But... right now I'm in 'KLR' mode, and these are more like 'BMW' mode, so I'll just keep using my cardboard wind block. Maybe soon, though.....

............shu
the manual adjust one does sound nice, but the t-stat ones seem to be always slightly open, which ensure that there is always proper flow w/no air in the system. i am considering one of these w/an aftermarket oil cooler more for my buell s2, then to install in my dr, but i might yust buy two of these, when i do my buell...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:25 AM   #72649
Skidmarkart
Dirty Middle Age Man

Oddometer: 180
SO, I dropped my bike pulling out of my house today. Wet stock off road tires + pavement + a tiny bit too much gas and boom, I am on the ground. Fortunately, nothing was hurt except my bike (and my pride).

I kept reading that the stock bars would go with the first tip-over and that was no exaggeration. While it did really no damage to the bike, it bent the hell out of the bars, and the shifter (which put a serious gouge in the case). Anyway, think I will be replacing these bits today.

Does anyone have any advice on a good (relatively inexpensive) bar and shifter? I'm just a commuter - so I don't really need a 2 inch billet aluminum anything. Hell - replacing with stock would be fine with me.

TIA for any info.

BTW - I bent everything back and still road to work. Even with bent bits it was more fun than riding in a car.

Skidmarkart screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 06:17 AM
Skidmarkart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #72650
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmarkart View Post
SO, I dropped my bike pulling out of my house today. Wet stock off road tires + pavement + a tiny bot too much gas and boom, I am on the ground. Fortunately, nothing was hurt except my bike (and my pride).

I kept reading that the stock bars would go with the first tip-over and that was no exaggeration. While it did really no damage to the bike, it bent the hell out of the bars, and the shifter (which put a serious gouge in the case). Anyway, think I will be replacing these bits today.

Does anyone have any advice on a good (relatively inexpensive) bar and shifter? I'm just a commuter - so I don't really need a 2 inch billet aluminum anything. Hell - replacing with stock would be fine with me.

TIA for any info.

BTW - I bent everything back and still road to work. Even with bent bits it was more fun than riding in a car.
Livin' up to your screen name, eh?

First time outta my driveway on a Kenda Trakmaster rear knobby, after a month on stock tire, I came within a half second of doing the same.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #72651
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
SO, I dropped my bike pulling out of my house today. Wet stock off road tires + pavement + a tiny bot too much gas and boom, I am on the ground. Fortunately, nothing was hurt except my bike (and my pride).

TIA for any info.

I've got the ProTaper SE bars with the Henry/Reed bend (if I remember correctly), and they've survived several tip overs, slides, and hard crashes. I thought I was going to need to replace them at one point, and I think they were under $80. They fit in the stock bar mounts, so no need to change hardware there. As for the shift lever, I've never had that bend in much regardless of how hard it went down, so I don't know about a replacement other than stock for that part.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #72652
Skidmarkart
Dirty Middle Age Man

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Livin' up to your screen name, eh?.
I'm just glad my medium was in pavement scratches, and no Jackson Pollock oil splatter. That shifter damn near put a hole in my engine.

Live and learn. I shouldn't complain. First time I have dropped a bike since 1992. Something tells me I'll be a bit more sore this time.
Skidmarkart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #72653
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
I'm just glad my medium was in pavement scratches, and no Jackson Pollock oil splatter. That shifter damn near put a hole in my engine.

Live and learn. I shouldn't complain. First time I have dropped a bike since 1992. Something tells me I'll be a bit more sore this time.
That procycle engine armor is definitely worth the money for stuff like that.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #72654
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
That procycle engine armor is definitely worth the money for stuff like that.
+1

When I bought my bike it had a slight crack in the stator cover from just that. The case armor definitely helps distribute the crash force
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #72655
trentster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
DR for sale, whats it worth?

Looking for some DR650 valuations... what do you think of this rig priced at $3,500? A big thanks, I am completely new to these bikes. Bike is super clean, like new. Guy says he must sell due to financial issues.

2006 DR650SE, 8k miles on it. I only rode it around town going to and from work. In town I was getting about 50 mpg, so I'm sure better on the highway. I just put brand new Michelin T63 Dual Sport tires on it. I have about 25 street miles on them and they are great on the pavement. I took it out to Attica and rode for about 1 hour and they have amazing grip! I also have the Trailwing tires too.
It has:
Extended air/fuel mixture screw
ProCycle Jet Kit
Airbox has been cut (performance mod with Jet Kit)
FMF Powercore 4 exhaust
Badlands Tank Wrap Bag
Moose Racing Rear bag
Moose Racing Brush Guards
SM Front Fender
DR250 Brake light
ProCycle LED License Plate light and heavy gauge license plate bracket
Seat Concepts seat
Aftermarket and mirrors and flush mount turn signals

Amazing tread on the tires
Comes with 2 factory keys as well as the key ID tag
Stock Manual
2 extra oil filters

Amazing 2006 DR650SE
Only 8,xxx miles on it. It rides like its brand new! I want to get a MX bike and no longer have a desire to ride this one. I only rode it around town going to and from work. In town I was getting about 50 mpg, so I'm sure better on the highway. I just put brand new Michelin T63 Dual Sport tires on it. I have about 25 street miles on them and they are great on the pavement. I took it out to Attica and rode for about 1 hour and they have amazing grip! I also have the Trailwing tires too.

It has:
ProCycle Jet Kit
FMF Powercore 4 exhaust
Badlands Tank Wrap Bag
Moose Racing Rear bag
SM Front Fender
DR250 Brake light
Seat Concepts seat

Stock Manual
2 extra oil filters
trentster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #72656
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentster View Post
Looking for some DR650 valuations... what do you think of this rig priced at $3,500? A big thanks, I am completely new to these bikes. Bike is super clean, like new. Guy says he must sell due to financial issues.

2006 DR650SE, 8k miles on it. I only rode it around town going to and from work. In town I was getting about 50 mpg, so I'm sure better on the highway. I just put brand new Michelin T63 Dual Sport tires on it. I have about 25 street miles on them and they are great on the pavement. I took it out to Attica and rode for about 1 hour and they have amazing grip! I also have the Trailwing tires too.
It has:
ProCycle Jet Kit
FMF Powercore 4 exhaust
Badlands Tank Wrap Bag
Moose Racing Rear bag
SM Front Fender
DR250 Brake light
Seat Concepts seat

Stock Manual
2 extra oil filters

Amazing 2006 DR650SE
Only 8,xxx miles on it. It rides like its brand new! I want to get a MX bike and no longer have a desire to ride this one. I only rode it around town going to and from work. In town I was getting about 50 mpg, so I'm sure better on the highway. I just put brand new Michelin T63 Dual Sport tires on it. I have about 25 street miles on them and they are great on the pavement. I took it out to Attica and rode for about 1 hour and they have amazing grip! I also have the Trailwing tires too.

It has:
ProCycle Jet Kit
FMF Powercore 4 exhaust
Badlands Tank Wrap Bag
Moose Racing Rear bag
SM Front Fender
DR250 Brake light
Seat Concepts seat

Stock Manual
2 extra oil filters

IMO way too high.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #72657
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,520
I got a completly stock '96 with 10,000 miles for $1900, keep looking.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #72658
trentster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
DR 650, whats it worth?

I offered $2,500 cash today... he is stuck at $3,000. Here is the Craigs List link to see pic.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/3489277336.html

I would put a center stand, skid plate and windshield on it right away. How much of an improvement are the performance mods? Thanks!!!
trentster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #72659
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Off Idle Hesitation Issues

Well, the bike is running...yeah! After three separate carburetor removal and cleanings, and replacing all the gaskets and o-rings, I finally got it vrooming along. However, I do have a problem I am having trouble diagnosing and ultimately resolving. For reference, I have no idea how the bike ran before it blew up on the previous owner, but this bike does have a DG exhaust system installed, along with a K&N air filter.

So, the problem is basically on off-idle hesitation. It's not present while the bike is sitting and rev'd, but very obvious when riding it. Any acceleration off idle in any gear and there is a noticeable "bog" before it starts moving along. I have done my research and it appears to be a common problem that can apparently be caused by a gummed up carb, or increasing flow by such things as...aftermarket exhausts and upgraded air filters Since the carb is now what I would consider spotless, I am going under the assumption that it is indeed these two items that are the root cause of the problem

What I can't determine however is if the pilot jet, or perhaps the needle are suspect. Most of my reading was leading me to believe that swapping out the pilot jet for a 47.5 would most likely be the cure, but after a chat with a vendor yesterday, they are pretty firmly convinced that a replacement needle will be the cure.

That said, I would be happy trying both options, so here's the real question of the day. Does anyone know where these two items can be acquired on the cheap? I've tried calling Sudco on the pilot jet, but they were far less than useful on the phone and are completely unable to determine which pilot get I need. Procycle of course sells the needle in a kit, but as you probably know, it's a little pricey, and I only really want/need the needle and not the rest of the parts included.

It would be very helpful if anyone could provide a Sudco part number, or perhaps another location and identification for purchasing the pilot jet, and perhaps point me to a vendor who can sell me just a needle for much less than the $40 or so I have been quoted for it elsewhere.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated here.

opium89 screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 11:24 AM
opium89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #72660
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
IMO way too high.
No skidplate, and like on Shark Tank, for that reason, I'm Out.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote