ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #72646
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
That procycle engine armor is definitely worth the money for stuff like that.
+1

When I bought my bike it had a slight crack in the stator cover from just that. The case armor definitely helps distribute the crash force
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #72647
trentster
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Greenwood, IN
Oddometer: 87
DR for sale, whats it worth?

Looking for some DR650 valuations... what do you think of this rig priced at $3,500? A big thanks, I am completely new to these bikes. Bike is super clean, like new. Guy says he must sell due to financial issues.

2006 DR650SE, 8k miles on it. I only rode it around town going to and from work. In town I was getting about 50 mpg, so I'm sure better on the highway. I just put brand new Michelin T63 Dual Sport tires on it. I have about 25 street miles on them and they are great on the pavement. I took it out to Attica and rode for about 1 hour and they have amazing grip! I also have the Trailwing tires too.
It has:
Extended air/fuel mixture screw
ProCycle Jet Kit
Airbox has been cut (performance mod with Jet Kit)
FMF Powercore 4 exhaust
Badlands Tank Wrap Bag
Moose Racing Rear bag
Moose Racing Brush Guards
SM Front Fender
DR250 Brake light
ProCycle LED License Plate light and heavy gauge license plate bracket
Seat Concepts seat
Aftermarket and mirrors and flush mount turn signals

Amazing tread on the tires
Comes with 2 factory keys as well as the key ID tag
Stock Manual
2 extra oil filters

Amazing 2006 DR650SE
Only 8,xxx miles on it. It rides like its brand new! I want to get a MX bike and no longer have a desire to ride this one. I only rode it around town going to and from work. In town I was getting about 50 mpg, so I'm sure better on the highway. I just put brand new Michelin T63 Dual Sport tires on it. I have about 25 street miles on them and they are great on the pavement. I took it out to Attica and rode for about 1 hour and they have amazing grip! I also have the Trailwing tires too.

It has:
Extended air/fuel mixture screw
ProCycle Jet Kit
Airbox has been cut (performance mod with Jet Kit)
FMF Powercore 4 exhaust
Badlands Tank Wrap Bag
Moose Racing Rear bag
Moose Racing Brush Guards
SM Front Fender
DR250 Brake light
ProCycle LED License Plate light and heavy gauge license plate bracket
Seat Concepts seat
Aftermarket and mirrors and flush mount turn signals

Amazing tread on the tires
Comes with 2 factory keys as well as the key ID tag
Stock Manual
2 extra oil filters
trentster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #72648
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentster View Post
Looking for some DR650 valuations... what do you think of this rig priced at $3,500? A big thanks, I am completely new to these bikes. Bike is super clean, like new. Guy says he must sell due to financial issues.

2006 DR650SE, 8k miles on it. I only rode it around town going to and from work. In town I was getting about 50 mpg, so I'm sure better on the highway. I just put brand new Michelin T63 Dual Sport tires on it. I have about 25 street miles on them and they are great on the pavement. I took it out to Attica and rode for about 1 hour and they have amazing grip! I also have the Trailwing tires too.
It has:
Extended air/fuel mixture screw
ProCycle Jet Kit
Airbox has been cut (performance mod with Jet Kit)
FMF Powercore 4 exhaust
Badlands Tank Wrap Bag
Moose Racing Rear bag
Moose Racing Brush Guards
SM Front Fender
DR250 Brake light
ProCycle LED License Plate light and heavy gauge license plate bracket
Seat Concepts seat
Aftermarket and mirrors and flush mount turn signals

Amazing tread on the tires
Comes with 2 factory keys as well as the key ID tag
Stock Manual
2 extra oil filters

Amazing 2006 DR650SE
Only 8,xxx miles on it. It rides like its brand new! I want to get a MX bike and no longer have a desire to ride this one. I only rode it around town going to and from work. In town I was getting about 50 mpg, so I'm sure better on the highway. I just put brand new Michelin T63 Dual Sport tires on it. I have about 25 street miles on them and they are great on the pavement. I took it out to Attica and rode for about 1 hour and they have amazing grip! I also have the Trailwing tires too.

It has:
Extended air/fuel mixture screw
ProCycle Jet Kit
Airbox has been cut (performance mod with Jet Kit)
FMF Powercore 4 exhaust
Badlands Tank Wrap Bag
Moose Racing Rear bag
Moose Racing Brush Guards
SM Front Fender
DR250 Brake light
ProCycle LED License Plate light and heavy gauge license plate bracket
Seat Concepts seat
Aftermarket and mirrors and flush mount turn signals

Amazing tread on the tires
Comes with 2 factory keys as well as the key ID tag
Stock Manual
2 extra oil filters

IMO way too high.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #72649
805gregg
Just Stroming along
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Ojai, Ca
Oddometer: 1,525
I got a completly stock '96 with 10,000 miles for $1900, keep looking.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #72650
trentster
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Greenwood, IN
Oddometer: 87
DR 650, whats it worth?

I offered $2,500 cash today... he is stuck at $3,000. Here is the Craigs List link to see pic.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/3489277336.html

I would put a center stand, skid plate and windshield on it right away. How much of an improvement are the performance mods? Thanks!!!
trentster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #72651
opium89
Beastly Adventurer
 
opium89's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Hutto, Texas
Oddometer: 1,136
Off Idle Hesitation Issues

Well, the bike is running...yeah! After three separate carburetor removal and cleanings, and replacing all the gaskets and o-rings, I finally got it vrooming along. However, I do have a problem I am having trouble diagnosing and ultimately resolving. For reference, I have no idea how the bike ran before it blew up on the previous owner, but this bike does have a DG exhaust system installed, along with a K&N air filter.

So, the problem is basically on off-idle hesitation. It's not present while the bike is sitting and rev'd, but very obvious when riding it. Any acceleration off idle in any gear and there is a noticeable "bog" before it starts moving along. I have done my research and it appears to be a common problem that can apparently be caused by a gummed up carb, or increasing flow by such things as...aftermarket exhausts and upgraded air filters Since the carb is now what I would consider spotless, I am going under the assumption that it is indeed these two items that are the root cause of the problem

What I can't determine however is if the pilot jet, or perhaps the needle are suspect. Most of my reading was leading me to believe that swapping out the pilot jet for a 47.5 would most likely be the cure, but after a chat with a vendor yesterday, they are pretty firmly convinced that a replacement needle will be the cure.

That said, I would be happy trying both options, so here's the real question of the day. Does anyone know where these two items can be acquired on the cheap? I've tried calling Sudco on the pilot jet, but they were far less than useful on the phone and are completely unable to determine which pilot get I need. Procycle of course sells the needle in a kit, but as you probably know, it's a little pricey, and I only really want/need the needle and not the rest of the parts included.

It would be very helpful if anyone could provide a Sudco part number, or perhaps another location and identification for purchasing the pilot jet, and perhaps point me to a vendor who can sell me just a needle for much less than the $40 or so I have been quoted for it elsewhere.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated here.
__________________
Tea parties are for little girls with imaginary friends.

opium89 screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 12:24 PM
opium89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #72652
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
IMO way too high.
No skidplate, and like on Shark Tank, for that reason, I'm Out.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #72653
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,731
Trentster: are you willing to drive to acquire a DR650

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/mcy/3426042471.html

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3511647429.html
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #72654
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 976
Location location. I got mine for 3400 and it had less farkles. It had 6700 miles and I know from working on it that it didn't see offroad much. Some areas they're cheap while some you can't find any. While I think you could do better if you waited, I am going to dissent and say if it checks out well it's not a bad deal. Just average like mine was
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #72655
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Location location. I got mine for 3400 and it had less farkles. It had 6700 miles and I know from working on it that it didn't see offroad much. Some areas they're cheap while some you can't find any. While I think you could do better if you waited, I am going to dissent and say if it checks out well it's not a bad deal. Just average like mine was
Have to agree. I looked at about 60 of them on CL and that's not far from what most are offered for. Some people want nearly the same money as new.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #72656
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Lookout Mountain - above Golden, CO
Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
the manual adjust one does sound nice, but the t-stat ones seem to be always slightly open, which ensure that there is always proper flow w/no air in the system. i am considering one of these w/an aftermarket oil cooler more for my buell s2, then to install in my dr, but i might yust buy two of these, when i do my buell...

doug s.
Yeah, I've been saying I'm gonna do this for a long time. Been waiting but I guess I'll pull the trigger. My last commute at 10 degrees sold me - on the other hand it was a balmy 35 this morning!

Alright, I'm going with the auto.....
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #72657
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Motolab and ADV Grifter, fantastic info thanks. I definitely have some white sludge in the breather hose that goes from the crankcase to the airbox. Is that normal? I might look into an oil cooler bypass valve for very cold climate on my trip..
Totally normal. Clean it out of course but no need to worry. Try to run the bike a bit longer. Takes quite LONG TIME for the DR's oil to get truly HOT. City riding in traffic really will heat it up quickly. I like to add Marvel Mystery Oil right before an oil change. Sort of like a flush. No milky stuff any where for me.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #72658
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmarkart View Post
SO, I dropped my bike pulling out of my house today. Wet stock off road tires + pavement + a tiny bit too much gas and boom, I am on the ground. Fortunately, nothing was hurt except my bike (and my pride).

I kept reading that the stock bars would go with the first tip-over and that was no exaggeration. While it did really no damage to the bike, it bent the hell out of the bars, and the shifter (which put a serious gouge in the case). Anyway, think I will be replacing these bits today.

Does anyone have any advice on a good (relatively inexpensive) bar and shifter? I'm just a commuter - so I don't really need a 2 inch billet aluminum anything. Hell - replacing with stock would be fine with me.

TIA for any info.

BTW - I bent everything back and still road to work. Even with bent bits it was more fun than riding in a car.
I doubt your bars are bent. You've simply tweaked your forks and jammed the rubber steering dampers over a bit. Easy to straighten out. Yours is a common misconception.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #72659
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
Well, the bike is running...yeah! After three separate carburetor removal and cleanings, and replacing all the gaskets and o-rings, I finally got it vrooming along. However, I do have a problem I am having trouble diagnosing and ultimately resolving. For reference, I have no idea how the bike ran before it blew up on the previous owner, but this bike does have a DG exhaust system installed, along with a K&N air filter.

So, the problem is basically on off-idle hesitation. It's not present while the bike is sitting and rev'd, but very obvious when riding it. Any acceleration off idle in any gear and there is a noticeable "bog" before it starts moving along. I have done my research and it appears to be a common problem that can apparently be caused by a gummed up carb, or increasing flow by such things as...aftermarket exhausts and upgraded air filters Since the carb is not spotless, I am going under the assumption that it is indeed these two items that are the root cause of the problem

What I can't determine however is if the pilot jet, or perhaps the needle are suspect. Most of my reading was leading me to believe that swapping out the pilot jet for a 47.5 would most likely be the cure, but after a chat with a vendor yesterday, they are pretty firmly convinced that a replacement needle will be the cure.

That said, I would be happy trying both options, so here's the real question of the day. Does anyone know where these two items can be acquired on the cheap? I've tried calling Sudco on the pilot jet, but they were far less than useful on the phone and are completely unable to determine which pilot get I need. Procycle of course sells the needle in a kit, but as you probably know, it's a little pricey, and I only really want/need the needle and not the rest of the parts included.

It would be very helpful if anyone could provide a Sudco part number, or perhaps another location and identification for purchasing the pilot jet, and perhaps point me to a vendor who can sell me just a needle for much less than the $40 or so I have been quoted for it elsewhere.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated here.
I would get this needle: #584310346-G5. I think that is the right part number for the KTM LC4.... Don't forget the circlip.

Do you have a motorcycle shop nearby? I would keep the stock size pilot jet, though. Putting in a new one would eliminate that though as a problem source. I'd also buy 2 main jets - 2 on either side of your current jet. They are like $4 each at my local shop. What is your current main jet anyway?
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #72660
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentster View Post
Looking for some DR650 valuations... what do you think of this rig priced at $3,500? A big thanks, I am completely new to these bikes. Bike is super clean, like new. Guy says he must sell due to financial issues.

2006 DR650SE, 8k miles on it. I only rode it around town going to and from work. In town I was getting about 50 mpg, so I'm sure better on the highway. I just put brand new Michelin T63 Dual Sport tires on it. I have about 25 street miles on them and they are great on the pavement. I took it out to Attica and rode for about 1 hour and they have amazing grip! I also have the Trailwing tires too.
It has:
Extended air/fuel mixture screw
ProCycle Jet Kit
Airbox has been cut (performance mod with Jet Kit)
FMF Powercore 4 exhaust
Badlands Tank Wrap Bag
Moose Racing Rear bag
Moose Racing Brush Guards
SM Front Fender
DR250 Brake light
ProCycle LED License Plate light and heavy gauge license plate bracket
Seat Concepts seat
Aftermarket and mirrors and flush mount turn signals

Amazing tread on the tires
Comes with 2 factory keys as well as the key ID tag
Stock Manual
2 extra oil filters
Not a bad deal. Nice DR's are going up in price ... most places anyway.
'06 seems to be "a good year". Some newer DR's have had a few mysterious issues. '05 to '07 seem pretty good. My '06 is at 50K miles.
My only concern is the owner saying he wants to buy a Motocrosser. This could be insight into how your DR was used. If he's a young moto cross guy then he's likely beat the HELL out of the bike. I would look closely for tell tale signs or hard riding / abuse. Bring an experienced friend along to help you checking things out.

Have a close listen to the motor when HOT. Check under side of bike for dents, deep scrapes. Is there caked / baked on Mud? (rain ridden)
Any dents in wheels .... look close. How are the controls? any bent levers, dirty switches or sloppy cables/hoses? All this indicates some hard use. If it was only used as a commuter .... then at just 8000 miles the bike should be fairly PRISTINE.

I would offer $3000 and see what happens. Most aftermarket stuff cannot be added to re-sale value of the bike in most cases. Be friendly but direct.
Good luck. It's a great bike ... you'll love it.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014