Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #73186
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I bet it is,I was wondering how long a DR650 runs with 20 more HP then stock? Has anybody ran one very long?
Getting close to 2-1/2 years now. No problems whatsoever. The thing is, 98% of the time you aren't using any of the additional 20 HP. It sure is handy when I want to pass a truck uphill.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #73187
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Success!

Parts finally arrived so....Pine-Sol dip, new main jet, new pilot jet, and new KTM needle and the hesitation off idle is now completely gone. Only issue I am having now is some pretty obnoxious decel popping at > 1/4 throttle. What I mean by that is the decel pop is minimal to nada if I don't get on the throttle much. It's only on decel when really opening it up that the popping starts to get bad.

In an effort to remedy, I tried adjusting the fuel screw, seem to improve a bit the wider it's open, but still present no matter what. However, it does go away if I throw the choke wide open...

I set the KTM needle on slot 3, right in the middle, as this puts the spacer at the exact same location as the stock needle. I gotta say, these needles look nearly identical to me. Is anyone with me in suggesting that I try raising the needle up a slot and see what happens?

Almost there.....
Old 01-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #73188
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
Yeouch!
I would buy a used harness (eBay, etc?) and change it yourself.
No need to get new keys that I can think of since the ignition wires plug into the harness.
Even if the wires connected to the ignition burned you should have enough to splice in new.
I know very little about wiring but replacing the complete harness with a new (used) harness is easy if you just do as suggested to unclip and reclip one at a time.
I am never happy with any work a shop does so I end up doing my own work though.

Just my 2c
I am gonna try it myself. I was trying to sell it and I was hoping the dealer could get it fixed quickly but 1300 is just too much.
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #73189
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I bet it is,I was wondering how long a DR650 runs with 20 more HP then stock? Has anybody ran one very long?

Buy a kit, I'll help with the install, then ride it like normal so I can have a baseline for when I do the DR in my garage.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #73190
crazy88
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Puke IMS Gas Cap Vent Tube

Ok, I get that this is apparently really necessary. I'm a complete noob, but I managed to successfully change my stock tank to an IMS, or so I thought... Seems to be fine except that when I put on the long vent tube on the gas cap, the engine doesn't stay idling for more than a few seconds. I take it off, make sure the other end of things is covered up, and my bike runs fine. So what's going on here? Should I purchase a shorter vented tube, or did I route some things up incorrectly?
crazy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #73191
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Tm40

I bought my TM40 about 10,000km ago and everything seems fine with it. But wondering Is there any preventative maintenance for the TM40's - apart from changing fuel filters etc??

I've never actually pulled one apart and don't really want to unless its necessary. I know I wouldn't have to with 10km on it but what about 20k 30k, etc

Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #73192
silverwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post
Ok, I get that this is apparently really necessary. I'm a complete noob, but I managed to successfully change my stock tank to an IMS, or so I thought... Seems to be fine except that when I put on the long vent tube on the gas cap, the engine doesn't stay idling for more than a few seconds. I take it off, make sure the other end of things is covered up, and my bike runs fine. So what's going on here? Should I purchase a shorter vented tube, or did I route some things up incorrectly?
Sounds like you either didn't reconnect the vacuum hose on the petcock. There should be two hoses on it. or your vent hose is clogged. try blowing some compressed air through the vent hose.
silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #73193
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The thing is, 98% of the time you aren't using any of the additional 20 HP. It sure is handy when I want to pass a truck uphill.
Or when you want to tow a truck uphill...
Old 01-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #73194
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,095
re: Everglades

Ever have to run from an alligator??

re: 780/790

Jeff's been running his hard for ages (like he just said) and it's fine. Adding 20 hp to an almost-40-hp motor isn't that big of a deal. I ran my WRX at 400 hp (224 stock) for four years and it was still running strong when I demodded it to get rid of the payment (since I ride 99% of the time).

re: Fork Solution Kit

I FINALLY rode my DR today after last weekend's Fork Solution Kit installation... .47kg springs and Gold Valves. WOW, nice improvement!! All I could do was ride asphalt and an unusually smooth stretch of "what used to be a gravel road." But the few bumps I did hit were much better controlled than before. Hey, to whomever it was that bought my Intiminators -- get the stiffer springs! I think they'll work better with something better than the stock sponges.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #73195
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
Parts finally arrived so....Pine-Sol dip, new main jet, new pilot jet, and new KTM needle and the hesitation off idle is now completely gone. Only issue I am having now is some pretty obnoxious decel popping at > 1/4 throttle. What I mean by that is the decel pop is minimal to nada if I don't get on the throttle much. It's only on decel when really opening it up that the popping starts to get bad.

In an effort to remedy, I tried adjusting the fuel screw, seem to improve a bit the wider it's open, but still present no matter what. However, it does go away if I throw the choke wide open...
It will pop on decel.
The BST carb has no coasting enrichener.

Tune for performance.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #73196
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeEdge View Post
Picked up this bike about 2 years ago and absolutely love it. I'm a photographer and use it to
go into the Everglades here in Florida. I have the Pelican case on the back for my camera equipment and it has
worked out great.

I took out the snorkel, did the needle shim and the mixture screw...could not believe how much better it ran after these
simple mods.

Here's a pic from one of my rides into the Everglades

Here's a couple of the pics I got of the Endangered Florida Panther during my Everglades ride..
This is exactly what my DR was purchased for, though as it turns out I love offroading just as much as photography. Very nice pictures..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #73197
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
It will pop on decel.
The BST carb has no coasting enrichener.

Tune for performance.
My other one doesn't pop much at all. You don't think tweaking that needle a bit might help? I find it curious that it all but goes away when the choke is opened up.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #73198
C/W
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
My other one doesn't pop much at all. You don't think tweaking that needle a bit might help? I find it curious that it all but goes away when the choke is opened up.
That's because the choke is an enrichment circuit.
C/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #73199
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I set the KTM needle on slot 3, right in the middle, as this puts the spacer at the exact same location as the stock needle. I gotta say, these needles look nearly identical to me. Is anyone with me in suggesting that I try raising the needle up a slot and see what happens?

Almost there.....
Two Things:
Raise idle
Go back to stock muffler
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #73200
1989THEARK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Thumbs down

Bram bram bram bram braaaaaam... Braaaam... Braaa(BOOM)

Evil 3rd gear strikes again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The DR650 motor is pretty under stressed, no? ... my guess is the bottom end can handle it OK. The Oil cooler being a big plus for handling the extra heat from 20 more HP.

My concern would be the trans ... and 3rd gear specifically.

Probably be fine if not abused.
Too few examples out there to get much feed back.
1989THEARK is offline   Reply With Quote