Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #73186
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
I hate to kick up a contentious subject once it's started to calm down a bit but in catching up with everything I've missed over the past couple weeks while work took over my life, I noticed that there was talk of Derek looking for a local candidate for some DR650 tuning tests. In case my reply was missed when this was discussed in December:

"I'm not sure what tests you'd like to run, but I'll offer up my bike in the name of science. I live only a short drive away in SF and I have ~16K miles on the odo, GSXR exhaust, Kientech midpipe, stock header pipe with ground weld, open top air box with K&N filter (also have the stock filter on hand), relatively fresh spark plugs, fuel filter, DJ kit, and only ~1500 miles on the slides in the carb. I bought those from you just a few months ago Derek at the same time I did a complete carb rebuild. I also have on hand an mx_rob FCR that I've been trying to find time to install. I could bring that along or come back after I install it to see what numbers change if that interests you."

The only thing I'd add based on recent discussions is that I do not have a non-USA OEM needle available.

-Mike
This is a topic that does interest me, but with my current work load I don't think it would be in the cards anytime soon.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #73187
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
In between studying for some IT exams at work, I finally got the top off my carb again, which would be vastly easier if the seat, side panels, tank, throttle cables, and choke cable didn't have to come off with it. Thanks to all the helpful folks on here, I realized that my white spacer was in the completely wrong place, and I had an unnecessary washer shimming things up as well. I pushed the spacer up to where I had the clip (position 3), made sure everything was snug, and set the washer aside. I put everything back together and let it idle for about 5-7 minutes in the garage just to get up to a temp where it didn't need the choke to maintain smooth idle.
After that, I started playing with the throttle position to see if there were any quickly detectable rough spots. The thing revved like it wanted to be a sport bike and sounded much, much better. There didn't seem to be nearly as much of a hesitation in the throttle, either. Assuming that this fixes the bogging, surging, and extremely poor mileage I've been getting, I'll call it a success. I'm definitely expecting to see some mileage improvements, since the spacer was essentially simulating a needle with the clip at the 75th position or so

Here's to hoping I'm done posting about carbs except to say "hey guys, I finally ordered that TM40"

my specs:
-12,500 miles on carb and engine
- K&N air filter
- Stock exhaust
- Cut airbox
- Non-USA OEM needle from motolab with clip on third position
While I've only taken off the cap on my carb once, and it was over three years ago, to fix the overly lean mixture endemic to the DR, I recall leaving the tank, seat, side panels and all cables attached to the bike. Just loosened the carb boots, maybe loosened a carb cable or two, and rotated the carb so the cap was accessible from the left side of the bike. No sense making a big production out of an easy task...

Lex
Old 01-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #73188
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
I've finished my header grind, GSXR muffler conversion and my stock carb Procycle jet and needle kit with air box cut out, oh yeah and a K&N filter. What are the stock numbers for the bike and what should I see typically with these mods? A better carburetor is on my list for the future but out of the budget for know.

I'm still snowed in so I can't go out and do my "seat of the pants dyno" ride I usually do after work like this and the suspense is killing me!
According to these graphs: (Procycle, I hope you don't mind, if you do just PM me and I'll clean up the post)

And

You should be seeing around 36 hp and 32 ft/lbs. when I uncorked my dr, and jetted it properly, (stock exhaust, cut-top air box, KNN filter) it felt like it ran crisper with more low end power. When I did the carb upgrade, that was the most noticeable increase in pep. It almost has that fuel injection, instant power feel. I recently did the hayabusa muffler upgrade, and I haven't been able to ride enough to pin point my jetting properly, so I can't comment on how much different that feels. The exhaust note is much better, I can tell you that!
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #73189
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 322
Thanks planeman! If the base line is an uncorked bike I wonder what the bone stock, off the show room floor numbers are in comparison?
Carl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #73190
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,198
just a quick question about those torque/hp graphs.

Were the exhaust, airbox and carbs (not jetting) the same for each level of modification?

What pipes and carb were used?

The torque # on the 780 kit is making me drool.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #73191
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post

Were the exhaust, airbox and carbs (not jetting) the same for each level of modification?

Same here.. that's why I'll be ordering one in the next month or so!
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #73192
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
Thanks planeman! If the base line is an uncorked bike I wonder what the bone stock, off the show room floor numbers are in comparison?
Bone stock peaked around 32-33 hp.
Individual DRs vary quite a bit. There is one local 'uncorked' bike that posted just over 39. (cut airbox, Q4, jet kit).
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #73193
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Buh.... so this shop said I need new keys, new battery, they want 1200 to get it running again from the fried wiring harness. They couldn't tell me why it went up in smoke.
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #73194
CreativeEdge
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Picked up this bike about 2 years ago and absolutely love it. I'm a photographer and use it to
go into the Everglades here in Florida. I have the Pelican case on the back for my camera equipment and it has
worked out great.

I took out the snorkel, did the needle shim and the mixture screw...could not believe how much better it ran after these
simple mods.

Here's a pic from one of my rides into the Everglades

Here's a couple of the pics I got of the Endangered Florida Panther during my Everglades ride..

CreativeEdge screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 10:29 AM
CreativeEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #73195
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeEdge View Post
Picked up this bike about 2 years ago and absolutely love it. I'm a photographer and use it to
go into the Everglades here in Florida. I have the Pelican case on the back for my camera equipment and it has
worked out great.

I took out the snorkel, did the needle shim and the mixture screw...could not believe how much better it ran after these
simple mods.

Here's a pic from one of my rides into the Everglades

Here's a couple of the pics I got of the Endangered Florida Panther during my Everglades ride..
Great pics.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #73196
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,284
Many thanks.

I am still running stock exhaust. The lighter can was on my to-do list and this is just one more reason to do it sooner than later :)
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #73197
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post

The 780 kit is BIG fun.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #73198
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post
The 780 kit is BIG fun.
I bet it is,I was wondering how long a DR650 runs with 20 more HP then stock? Has anybody ran one very long?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #73199
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
The DR650 motor is pretty under stressed, no? ... my guess is the bottom end can handle it OK. The Oil cooler being a big plus for handling the extra heat from 20 more HP.

My concern would be the trans ... and 3rd gear specifically.

Probably be fine if not abused.
Too few examples out there to get much feed back.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #73200
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
While I've only taken off the cap on my carb once, and it was over three years ago, to fix the overly lean mixture endemic to the DR, I recall leaving the tank, seat, side panels and all cables attached to the bike. Just loosened the carb boots, maybe loosened a carb cable or two, and rotated the carb so the cap was accessible from the left side of the bike. No sense making a big production out of an easy task...

Lex
Are you using the stock tank? My IMS goes down pretty far. I can barely see my Carb without taking the other stuff off.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote