Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #73321
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
if it otherwise looks decent, you could always offer $1500, and then walk away if the seller says no...

doug s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
This idea fits my cheap arse just fine. A good deal plus I can get some farkles and still not have much $$$ in it.
being a bit of a cheap arse myself, that's how i bought my '00. it was on a local c/l, adwertized for $3k; it already had sm wheels, which was what i was wanting to do anyways. the pics looked good, but when i went to look at it, the bike had obviously been beaten on. there was a li'l dent in the rear swingarm from the kickstand, and the front steering stem bearings were shot. and, the rear wheel was obviously installed incorrectly, as it was off-center - a re-lacing was in order. plus, misc scrapes, etc... i offered $1k and got it for $1300. i figured that was about the price for a set of sm wheels & tires, and the bike was a freebie! the cheap price has let me spend quite a bit on it, and it's now almost perfect, for me. and, the bike's motor is in great shape; smooth and pulls really strong, w/the fcr-39 carb, kientech hi-flow midpipe, fmf powerbomb hi-flow header and tsukigi gsxr1000 exhaust can...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #73322
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Laugh Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Get yourself a SPOT satellite tracker. It will go a long way toward calming your wife's fears. If I remember correctly the tracking subscription is around $150/year. Absolutely worth every penny.
Just returned from riding Ecuador. My wife had a fun time tracking me on SPOT, Andes to Pacific and back across to the Amazon Basin. She could even see where we attempted a mud road, stopped and turned back. Highly recommend it.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #73323
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
Just returned from riding Ecuador. My wife had a fun time tracking me on SPOT, Andes to Pacific and back across to the Amazon Basin. She could even see where we attempted a mud road, stopped and turned back. Highly recommend it.
I take my SPOT on just about every ride. I call up my 94 year old mom and invite her to 'ride' along by watching the tracking.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:59 AM   #73324
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I am 72 and the screen does make long rides a lot nicer.

You are champ mate. I'm 60 and hope I'm still riding the Dr at your age. Well done and keep riding.
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #73325
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Having CASH in hand is key. Good deals on CL go quickly. Same with Cycle Trader and deals here on ADV Rider Flea Market.

Be ready to JUMP when the good deal appears. Good luck, have fun!
I have missed great deals on riding boots, leather jacket and a bike or 2 by not being the first to call. :( Now I am checking CL 3-4 times a day and ready to strike when the next good deal appears.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #73326
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
being a bit of a cheap arse myself, that's how i bought my '00. it was on a local c/l, adwertized for $3k; it already had sm wheels, which was what i was wanting to do anyways. the pics looked good, but when i went to look at it, the bike had obviously been beaten on. there was a li'l dent in the rear swingarm from the kickstand, and the front steering stem bearings were shot. and, the rear wheel was obviously installed incorrectly, as it was off-center - a re-lacing was in order. plus, misc scrapes, etc... i offered $1k and got it for $1300. i figured that was about the price for a set of sm wheels & tires, and the bike was a freebie! the cheap price has let me spend quite a bit on it, and it's now almost perfect, for me. and, the bike's motor is in great shape; smooth and pulls really strong, w/the fcr-39 carb, kientech hi-flow midpipe, fmf powerbomb hi-flow header and tsukigi gsxr1000 exhaust can...

doug s.
From 3K to 1.3K! You shall be my new role model. I had a WR250X and was really happy with the SM wheels off road. I would be extremely happy (maybe even to the point of prying my wallet open a bit more) to find a DR with SM wheels.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #73327
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Anybody have either of these tank bags mounted to there bike? specifically the IMS tank..

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Tank-Bag.aspx

I'm leaning towards the bigger one.

Is the wolfman map pocket completely waterproof? ex. I can put an iphone (or GPS) in there without worry.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #73328
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Is the wolfman map pocket completely waterproof? ex. I can put an iphone (or GPS) in there without worry.
Nope, it's not, It'll draw in water from the backside.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #73329
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
just talked to SC, sounds like they have some very ambitious projects coming down the road for the old DR...

...their own seat pan, will be selling a complete SC saddle for around 250.00

...an aftermarket rear fender with integral tail light, if I understood correctly

...a luggage set designed specifically for the DR

....and a combination of an oversize tank with matching Dakar-type fairing!!!!!

sounds pretty dang sweet to me!
As soon as these are ready, Suzuki will announce an all-new fuel injected DRZ 650 ...

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #73330
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Anybody have either of these tank bags mounted to there bike? specifically the IMS tank..

I'm leaning towards the bigger one.

Those are both magnetic, and they really need a "flatter" tank top than the IMS tank has (or even the stock DR tank). IMO the best tank bags available are the Wolfman or the Giant Loop. I have the Giant Loop because I got a deal on it used in the Flea Market, and it really is waterproof. BUT, the map pocket still seems to draw moisture, which is odd.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #73331
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Nope, it's not, It'll draw in water from the backside.
The opening is on the side, on the Enduro model, which I consider to be the biggest bag you can use with an IMS tank.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #73332
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Those are both magnetic, and they really need a "flatter" tank top than the IMS tank has (or even the stock DR tank). IMO the best tank bags available are the Wolfman or the Giant Loop. I have the Giant Loop because I got a deal on it used in the Flea Market, and it really is waterproof. BUT, the map pocket still seems to draw moisture, which is odd.

Rob

They both have a strap option.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #73333
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The opening is on the side, on the Enduro model, which I consider to be the biggest bag you can use with an IMS tank.

You missed the point, it doesn't LEAK from the opening, it actually ABSORBS water through the cordura on the back side of the map pocket ao I sure as hell wouldn't be putting my iPhone in there. of course you could always use the rain cover but then that kind of defeats the purpose to be able to look through the map pocket.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #73334
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
You missed the point, it doesn't LEAK from the opening, it actually ABSORBS water through the cordura on the back side of the map pocket ao I sure as hell wouldn't be putting my iPhone in there. of course you could always use the rain cover but then that kind of defeats the purpose to be able to look through the map pocket.
Interesting. I'll have to remember that. I haven't been caught in anything torrential yet with the Enduro bag. Not that I leave anything like a phone in the map pocket, but I do keep some paper in it.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #73335
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
just talked to tech at dynamat.

solution is 1st stick dynamat extreme to skid plate and then dynalinner 1/2" foam to that. takes care of both sources of noise.
warm up skidplate 1st with hairdryer then stick.

he knows bikes and skid plates.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10415-.../dp/B00020CATC
http://dynamat.com/products_car_audio_dynaliner.html
update again. talked to the owner @ highest volume dynamat dealer in the country http://www.alscreativeautosound.com/

al said 2 layers of dynamat is the hot ticket. apply it to all the open space not touching anything.

$16 here http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10415-...f=cm_lmf_tit_6
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote