Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2007, 02:52 AM   #7321
Stackator
F800GS goodness

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyVees
Is there a compilation of sound clips for different exhausts on DR650's? I'm not exactly in love with the ancient Supertrapp pipe on my 02, but haven't really heard any of the others in the flesh...

Is my DR always going to sound like a really big Craftsman lawn and garden tractor?
Ask and you shall receive.......

Staintune full system on an 06' DR650 w/ 145 Mikuni main jet and air screw turned out 2.5 turns
* I couldn't rev the guts out of the thing like I wanted to because it was 7am and my garage is right near the bedrooms of a block of units

Refresher for the Australian forum: http://www.deakin.edu.au/current-stu...outs/apost.php
Stackator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:39 AM   #7322
jakespeed
Aussie

Oddometer: 1
Got my new 2008 DR650SE today!

Gday All,
Ive been lurking here for a while....I bet Im not the only one! Such a great resource, thanks for all the tips Ive got so far.

Well today I picked up my new 2008 DR650SE (from Bundy), and rode it about 200kms home. What a great bike. Its docile yet has some poke, easy to throw around, goes anywhere, feels great. I just love it!

Looking forward to getting some more miles on it. I'll have to post some pics when I get the chance.

Jake
jakespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:58 AM   #7323
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakespeed
Gday All,
Ive been lurking here for a while....I bet Im not the only one! Such a great resource, thanks for all the tips Ive got so far.

Well today I picked up my new 2008 DR650SE (from Bundy), and rode it about 200kms home. What a great bike. Its docile yet has some poke, easy to throw around, goes anywhere, feels great. I just love it!

Looking forward to getting some more miles on it. I'll have to post some pics when I get the chance.

Jake
Welcome, Jake

you will find another DR thread over in th Oz forum after you finish this one

rossco

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #7324
Juiceman34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
bedliner on a skidplate

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanolpa
has anyone had any luck (or even thought of) using a spray-on bedliner to coat their skidplate? it seems as though it would dampen some of the reflected sound and strengthen what's already there, not to mention a 'hip' black color (for those folks who laud vanity as a virtue).

all this skid plate talk had me thinking and spraying it seems like a good idea. we all know that good deeds and good intentions are as far apart as heaven and hell, though. any thoughts?

cheers,

mean
Just a thought on spraying the bedliner stuff on a skidplate. I had seen it suggested and decided to try it myself. I taped off all what didn't need the spray intending on two lines where it would contact the frame. Spent a while doing it, put a couple coats on then read the portion of the can that said 'CAUTION - HIGHLY FLAMMABLE', 'Do not use near sources of heat or open flame'. Soooo, wanting to test their warning, I sprayed some on something else and took a lighter to it. Sure enough, they were right. I ended up scraping it all off not wanting to take a chance of a fire out in the middle of nowhere being that the skidplate is in such close proximity to the engine and exhaust. I think I'll try using a piece of a hose or inner tube.
Just food for thought. Maybe someone makes a non-flammable spray???
Juiceman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #7325
CaptTurbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceman34
Just a thought on spraying the bedliner stuff on a skidplate. I had seen it suggested and decided to try it myself. I taped off all what didn't need the spray intending on two lines where it would contact the frame. Spent a while doing it, put a couple coats on then read the portion of the can that said 'CAUTION - HIGHLY FLAMMABLE', 'Do not use near sources of heat or open flame'. Soooo, wanting to test their warning, I sprayed some on something else and took a lighter to it. Sure enough, they were right. I ended up scraping it all off not wanting to take a chance of a fire out in the middle of nowhere being that the skidplate is in such close proximity to the engine and exhaust. I think I'll try using a piece of a hose or inner tube.
Just food for thought. Maybe someone makes a non-flammable spray???
Did you let it dry completely? The solvents and propellent are flammable for sure but I don't think the fully cured bedliner would present much of a problem. Just my .02
Old 09-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #7326
Juiceman34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTurbo
Did you let it dry completely? The solvents and propellent are flammable for sure but I don't think the fully cured bedliner would present much of a problem. Just my .02
Didn't think about that. The portion I lit had dried for about an hour, was still pretty pliable, probably hadn't dried completely.
I'll have to try another test run this weekend (and try not to burn my house down)
Juiceman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #7327
Corpse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjourn
a quick question, if they say the FMF Q2 is 96 db, what is the stock sound level?
86 db I think is what it says on my bike.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #7328
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTurbo
I've put it on several different bikes (the rubberized variety) and it works great. No fire hazard when dry.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #7329
MaxPower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
HELP! 1992 dr650 stuff needed

I just bought a 1992 dr650 with only 6000 mi (Cheap!) on it lots of upgrades, But I need more stuff. I would like to put side racks, different front fender (maybe and RSE style) and anything else one could suggest. Im new to the DR world and am haveing trouble finding stuff for this older bike.

Thanx in advance
MaxPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #7330
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 689
Maxpower

There is a pre 96 Dr thread you might try for better results. Look on down the page. Hope this helps.
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:52 PM   #7331
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,739
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower
I just bought a 1992 dr650 with only 6000 mi (Cheap!) on it lots of upgrades, But I need more stuff. I would like to put side racks, different front fender (maybe and RSE style) and anything else one could suggest. Im new to the DR world and am haveing trouble finding stuff for this older bike.

Thanx in advance
Can u post few pics. for ur bike from different angles ??,this way we'll have a better idea of what to suggest to u ...
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:38 AM   #7332
bing
Freerider

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackator
Ask and you shall receive.......

Staintune full system on an 06' DR650 w/ 145 Mikuni main jet and air screw turned out 2.5 turns
* I couldn't rev the guts out of the thing like I wanted to because it was 7am and my garage is right near the bedrooms of a block of units
Nice sound. (Question: How do you put the You Tube video into your post?)
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #7333
Corpse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Question Airborne DR650's

Is it wrong to jump with a DR650?

I ask because so far in attempts to see what my new bike can do, I've found it excellent on every surface and in the air, with the only exception being sandy dirt roads (and I think thats mostly due to using the Trail Wings at standard pressure). I'm a little concerned I might be pushing the bike too hard. Its a stock 07 DR650SE w/ 300kms.

Whats your thoughts?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #7334
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 9,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpse
No, it is not wrong to jump a DR650! The only bad part is landing...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #7335
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpse

I ask because so far in attempts to see what my new bike can do, I've found it excellent on every surface and in the air, with the only exception being sandy dirt roads (and I think thats mostly due to using the Trail Wings at standard pressure). I'm a little concerned I might be pushing the bike too hard. Its a stock 07 DR650SE w/ 300kms.

Whats your thoughts?
After reassessing what happened a couple years ago, heed this warning. I caught some air on my 97 DR650SE and upon landing, my chain popped off and some teeth on my rear sprocket got chewed up. I think the chain derailed due to the upper chain roller and extreme compression of the suspension. Luckily the roller didn't break out of the frame! Make sure you remove the top roller before jumping!
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote