User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #7321
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 690
Maxpower

There is a pre 96 Dr thread you might try for better results. Look on down the page. Hope this helps.
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #7322
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,859
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower
I just bought a 1992 dr650 with only 6000 mi (Cheap!) on it lots of upgrades, But I need more stuff. I would like to put side racks, different front fender (maybe and RSE style) and anything else one could suggest. Im new to the DR world and am haveing trouble finding stuff for this older bike.

Thanx in advance
Can u post few pics. for ur bike from different angles ??,this way we'll have a better idea of what to suggest to u ...
DR650SEDDY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:38 AM   #7323
bing
Freerider

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackator
Ask and you shall receive.......

Staintune full system on an 06' DR650 w/ 145 Mikuni main jet and air screw turned out 2.5 turns
* I couldn't rev the guts out of the thing like I wanted to because it was 7am and my garage is right near the bedrooms of a block of units
Nice sound. (Question: How do you put the You Tube video into your post?)
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #7324
Corpse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Question Airborne DR650's

Is it wrong to jump with a DR650?

I ask because so far in attempts to see what my new bike can do, I've found it excellent on every surface and in the air, with the only exception being sandy dirt roads (and I think thats mostly due to using the Trail Wings at standard pressure). I'm a little concerned I might be pushing the bike too hard. Its a stock 07 DR650SE w/ 300kms.

Whats your thoughts?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #7325
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpse
No, it is not wrong to jump a DR650! The only bad part is landing...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:26 PM   #7326
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpse

I ask because so far in attempts to see what my new bike can do, I've found it excellent on every surface and in the air, with the only exception being sandy dirt roads (and I think thats mostly due to using the Trail Wings at standard pressure). I'm a little concerned I might be pushing the bike too hard. Its a stock 07 DR650SE w/ 300kms.

Whats your thoughts?
After reassessing what happened a couple years ago, heed this warning. I caught some air on my 97 DR650SE and upon landing, my chain popped off and some teeth on my rear sprocket got chewed up. I think the chain derailed due to the upper chain roller and extreme compression of the suspension. Luckily the roller didn't break out of the frame! Make sure you remove the top roller before jumping!
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #7327
OnlyVees
Moto-journalist

Oddometer: 875
What kind of bar-ends will fit in my Renthal bars? I'm riding around with the guts from my Acerbis hand guards, but haven't found anything that will fit. Inner diameter is just over 1/2"
Old 09-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #7328
MC-Shifter
aka Shifter

Oddometer: 219
DR adventure

Don't know why I didn't think of posting this here sooner. I just rode my '98 from Detroit to Labrador and back. I did a ride report and listed my mods and camping gear for anyone interested:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263226
Attached Images

MC-Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #7329
racer 07
Lock & Load

Onlyvees

Check Cycle Gear, Stone Ave.& Grant. I believe they stock them.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:43 PM   #7330
garymonster
Banned

Oddometer: 195
IMS shifter....DR650SE....?

Is there a longer aftermarket shift lever available for a 2007 DR650SE? I've seen some ads that say "not available for the S model". Thanks in advance!
garymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:44 PM   #7331
racer 07
Lock & Load

Corpse

Imo, to survive hard landings you must have a stiff enough suspension, for your weight, not to bottem out on landing. Bent wheels may result among other things. Removing the upper roller can result in a cracked or broken engine case. The roller is what keeps the chain in contact with the counter shaft sprocket. If the chain would jump off the c/s sprocket it can wad up between the case and c/s resulting in a cracked or broken case. I've seen this on race bikes & quads. This can also happen with a loose chain as the rear sprocket tries to outrun the c/s sprocket on deceleration. Just my $.02 Disclaimer: I may be full of crap.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:50 AM   #7332
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,673
Jesse sells a full-on adjustable chain guide. Pic on Kientech website. There's another one out there also... forget the make. I don't know if it would absolutely PREVENT a chain get-off, but it would sure make it much more rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer 07
Imo, to survive hard landings you must have a stiff enough suspension, for your weight, not to bottem out on landing. Bent wheels may result among other things. Removing the upper roller can result in a cracked or broken engine case. The roller is what keeps the chain in contact with the counter shaft sprocket. If the chain would jump off the c/s sprocket it can wad up between the case and c/s resulting in a cracked or broken case. I've seen this on race bikes & quads. This can also happen with a loose chain as the rear sprocket tries to outrun the c/s sprocket on deceleration. Just my $.02 Disclaimer: I may be full of crap.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:56 AM   #7333
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,673
Seat mounting tabs defeat seat bumpers

Maybe i'm the only one over anal-yzing the seat issues... trying to find that perfect seat mod. I have good seat reworks now... low and flattish toward the rear, pretty ground-level. But it finally dawned on me that the rigid mounting of the seat completely defeats the presence of those rubber bumpers on the bottom. That steel that the seat-mount tabs are made from is very very hard. Try widening that hole to a slot and you'll see what I mean [broken dremel bits, broken drill bits....]. Anyway, when you bolt that seat on, it ain't going to move up and down more than a millimeter if that. So, I just dispensed with the bolts altogether. I have a piece of stiff wire restraining my seat from flying upward, but allows it to flex downward. it helps....

With that done, now I can experiment with different size bumpers, and different material, like gel pads between the seat pan and rails. Also, I lowered the seat at the rear by replacing the rearward bumpers with much smaller rubber pads.

For those that haven't seen other posts on this topic... I speculate that the seat foam for a DR350 is dimensionally the same as DR650. If so, know that Guts Racing makes replacement seat foam for DR350 seats, in Tall/Stock/Short sizes, and varying density [soft, hard....]. Someday I'll get around to trying a tall/soft combo, then cut the top like my others, flatten it out and make it a tad wider. That would result in a tallish position, but finally you would have enough foam there to do some good....
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:44 AM   #7334
pc1222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
hay anyone have this happen to them the other day I shut off my dr650 and locked the handle bars like I always do when I went to walk away I noticed that the tail light was still lit may be even the brake light don't know for sure but when I turned the key back to the start position then back to lock the tail light was off.. this is got me worried that I might drain the batt. if I don't address this issue now. can any one offer me some advice ? the bike is an 07 and No mods to the electrical have been made yet.
pc1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:21 AM   #7335
crane
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1222
hay anyone have this happen to them the other day I shut off my dr650 and locked the handle bars like I always do when I went to walk away I noticed that the tail light was still lit may be even the brake light don't know for sure but when I turned the key back to the start position then back to lock the tail light was off.. this is got me worried that I might drain the batt. if I don't address this issue now. can any one offer me some advice ? the bike is an 07 and No mods to the electrical have been made yet.
sounds like you might have inadvertently put the ignition switch into the park position instead of the lock position. from right to left the key positions are: on, off, lock, and park.
the "park" position will cause the situation that you described (this is intended for temporary road-side parking). just don't go so far left with the key and you'll be alright. the bars will lock, but the tail-light won't come on. hope this helps.
crane is offline   Reply With Quote