Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #73411
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I was hoping you'd post that link. It shows how wide the adjustment angle tolerance is on the cam, instead of struggling to find the 'T' in the window: 'one straw please'. And that you don't have to remove either of the two seized inspection plugs in the stator cover. You could put it in Krusty's DR index.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636386

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #73412
Northyork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
DR650 Safari tank, Corbin, maier handguards, GSXR can and more

I am re-posting this since my original post was deleted because i forgot to add prices, my second post was deleted due to forbidden links to Kijiji.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post20637388
Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #73413
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obard View Post
Went out this afternoon to give it hell, and finish the valve adjustment I've been trying to complete for months. Well ... I figured out what the clanging and rattling was. The bike swallowed the lock nut and the adjusting screw off of the rocker arm. Now all I have to do is load up the bike and get it over to the bike shop down the road. Live and learn ... The hard way.

Awe who am I kidding, I'm to cheap to take it anywhere, guess I'll see what the engine inards look like. Hope ya'll don't mind the onslaught of questions I'm likely to be asking.
Sorry to hear about the findings. Folks will be glad to answer your questions. Learn how to post pics; everybody loves pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northyork View Post
Hi, I have sold my DR650, moving on to a KTM 990 Adventure. DR650 is a great bike, it gave me lots of satisfactions, but it was time to try something new. Anyhow I have a whole bunch of accessories for sale.
Sorry to see you go, I hope the KTM treats you well.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #73414
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Question Blew a fork seal!

Was hauling my bike ... and when I went to unload I saw fork oil leaking all over the truck bed!

I had no evidence of leaking or seeping before this.

I've never had one fail this way. In the past when seals failed, there was always increasing seeping and dripping on the garage floor.

Can I just refill the shock oil to the proper level? Or is my seal ruined and I have to replace it?

BadDogMax screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 10:37 PM
BadDogMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #73415
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
jeff ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Hey Jeff - ProCycle,

Do you offer shorter or have found shorter fork boots that compensate when using a fork brace? The stock boots have to be pushed up a good bit to sit above the fork brace. Do your aftermarket fork boots fit better with a fork brace?

Thanks Bill

ps if you can find the supplier for this cap http://www.vstroma.com/oilfillercap.htm it fits the DR perfectly (the exact same cap used on the DR & Vstrom. i compared when i owned both bikes at the same time) and this cap is a great security cap for RTW travelers. have it on my bike - see pic below.

here are the pricier options:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1...rom-DL650-1000
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...rom-DL650-1000

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #73416
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
OMG

So I replaced the wiring harness by myself in like an hour and a half AND IT RUNS. I'm going to put all the little wire ties and put everything back on tomorrow and it will take me another 45 minutes or so so maybe 3 hours tops total. And that dealer quoted me 1300 dollars, said I needed new keys, ignition, battery. I will quote them "the more wires we pulled the more it was burned up and it's burned all the way to the ignition".

What the fuck!! Why would people try to literally fuck you like that? I can't believe how naive I was, I will never go to a fucking dealer service department again. Ugh that makes me sick. I am pissed that I paid them the 200 to tow it to their shop and diagnose it. I'm going to go back and tell them I want the 100 bucks back for diagnosing it because they failed in that task by telling me all this other shit was fucked up when it wasn't. Mother fuckers. I hope I put that shit on my american express. I am pretty sure I did. Those fuckers.
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #73417
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I was hoping you'd post that link. It shows how wide the adjustment angle tolerance is on the cam, instead of struggling to find the 'T' in the window: 'one straw please'. And that you don't have to remove either of the two seized inspection plugs in the stator cover. You could put it in Krusty's DR index.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636386
Done
Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #73418
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfishlog View Post

New running lights
At first I thought this was awesome - but while it's still a pretty neat placement, IMO the point of extra LED lighting like those LED pods that don't really throw light down onto the ground would be for safety. At probably even smaller distances the light from the LED's in the two facia holes are just going to mix in with the single headlight beam. It will make it brighter for oncoming traffic, sure, but it isn't going to be as eye-catching as when those same pods were separated out of the main light's beam. I've used the same style of pods, but in red, for the rear of my last bike since I commuted so much. I put them well far and away from the main tail-light to give cages more to see. After over 20k miles of commuting, mostly at night for one leg of the trip, I'm pretty sure it helped a lot to have extra lights, and to have those extra lights outward enough to make drivers notice they were behind something more unusual than just a car with one light out.

I don't know where you'd mount them, but I'd take those same lights and try to put them up off of the hand-guards - or even the more classic area of down low on the forks.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #73419
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
For something like this, I always go the quick easy route before jumping to seal replacement. Do the film trick to see if there's some dirt or sand stuck in your fork seal (or use a Seal Mate if you have one). After you clean the seals, put the bike on a lift and pull the fork inards and fill to the proper level. Hopefully you wont see any more oil leaking. If you do, then you may have to go ahead and replace the seals. But at least you'll know for sure and won't have wasted too much time or money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post
Was hauling my bike ... and when I went to unload I saw fork oil leaking all over the truck bed!

I had no evidence of leaking or seeping before this.

I've never had one fail this way. In the past when seals failed, there was always increasing seeping and dripping on the garage floor.

Can I just refill the shock oil to the proper level? Or is my seal ruined and I have to replace it?

phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #73420
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Thank you, and thank you to ER70S-2.

It's more than time I take car of this. Maybe even today if I can find the tools I bought from ProCycle.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #73421
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post
snip

My XR failed this way. I refilled and it leaked.

I think a healthy seal will take being tied down in reasonable fashion. If the seal is sketchy or nearly dead then this is the result. I would just replace it, but throwing some oil in won't hurt.....until it leaks down the leg and onto the tire next ride....
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #73422
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
off road tire choice

Yesterday, I found a DR in my garage with a title so.....needs a couple of shoes.

Okay, don't groan too much because I've tried to search this thread, "tires" and it won't bring up any posts, maybe there are too many.....so sorry about asking......only seeking knowledge!

What tires do you all recommend for more off road performance?

I'd love to pay $50-75 for a front, for a decent performing tire, maybe not possible. I was looking at the Kendas K760, anybody have any experience with these??

Thanks
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #73423
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
My XR failed this way. I refilled and it leaked.

I think a healthy seal will take being tied down in reasonable fashion. If the seal is sketchy or nearly dead then this is the result. I would just replace it, but throwing some oil in won't hurt.....until it leaks down the leg and onto the tire next ride....

.......And ruins the brake pads and soaks your boot and pant leg.

Sarah
Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #73424
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
What tires do you all recommend for more off road performance?

I'd love to pay $50-75 for a front, for a decent performing tire, maybe not possible. I was looking at the Kendas K760, anybody have any experience with these??

Thanks
I will be purchasing a set of TKC 80's for my DR this spring. I cannot comment on their performance but there is enough anecdotal evidence claiming they perform excellent on road and off to warrant at least a purchase.....
Old 02-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #73425
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
OMG

So I replaced the wiring harness by myself in like an hour and a half AND IT RUNS. I'm going to put all the little wire ties and put everything back on tomorrow and it will take me another 45 minutes or so so maybe 3 hours tops total. And that dealer quoted me 1300 dollars, said I needed new keys, ignition, battery. I will quote them "the more wires we pulled the more it was burned up and it's burned all the way to the ignition".

What the fuck!! Why would people try to literally fuck you like that? I can't believe how naive I was, I will never go to a fucking dealer service department again. Ugh that makes me sick. I am pissed that I paid them the 200 to tow it to their shop and diagnose it. I'm going to go back and tell them I want the 100 bucks back for diagnosing it because they failed in that task by telling me all this other shit was fucked up when it wasn't. Mother fuckers. I hope I put that shit on my american express. I am pretty sure I did. Those fuckers.
So tell us how you really feel. Seriously, that is a bad deal and good luck with getting some of your money back.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote