Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #7366
CaptTurbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Alpro, what size DJ main jet did you put in? Thanks.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #7367
2Track
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpse
http://www.tpimotorcycleparts.com/

Anyone got, seen or used their DR650 touring bags?

They look good, no extra installation and have aluminium backing. Are they safe?
Any of the bags will cook on a longer ride if you don't have a frame of some sort (you can make your own) keeping them away from the muffler. Seems to be most peoples experience anyway.

Mike
2Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #7368
2Track
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpse
What bags and side racks you got here?
These are Moto Sport Yukon II's.

http://www.moto-sportpanniers.com/soft.htm

With these brackets: http://www.moto-sportpanniers.com/brackets.htm

They work pretty well, and don't crunch when things go tippy. Bags come off easy too.

Here's another cool option - more water proof and expandable.

http://www.andystrapz.com/expedition_panniers.htm

With these brackets: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/image...0racks%20dr650

The Aussie bags rock, but Yukons work well too. Ask for the rain covers if you go with the Yukon's - keeps dust out well too.

Mike

2Track screwed with this post 09-23-2007 at 10:36 AM
2Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #7369
alprosound
HappyMan

Oddometer: 498
Main Jet Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTurbo
Alpro, what size DJ main jet did you put in? Thanks.
It was 3:30 this morning and I've got to say my memory is a little hazy. I think it was a 155 per Jesse's recomendation but I'll need to go and check my kit to see for sure. I'll try to remember to post it for you later.

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

http://ridedualsport.com
alprosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #7370
alprosound
HappyMan

Cool2 Main Jet Size

Yes, I just confirmed that I went with the 155. It was simple to do and now that I've done it I'd like to play around some more when I get time. The bike runs great so I've no need to change it but I'd like to learn more through experimentation so when I can spare the time I'm going to try the 150 just to see what happens. Then I think my TTR is gonna get a re-jet too!

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

Old 09-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #7371
rokhopr
2014 Beta 200

Oddometer: 58
That needle jet clogs after you've cleaned the carb up, then use SeaFoam in the gas to keep it cleaned out. No amount of carb mods will help if the jets are dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDude
My DR is idling very rough.
It has about 2000 miles on it and is an '06. I have not done any engine mods to it, but have changed the front sprocket, springs and tank. I broke my hand riding so the bike sat for about 2 months. I was given advice on TT to take off the carb and clean it. Any one have any other ideas? Should I do the Jesse Dynajet mod or replace any screws since I have to take the carb off? any advice is appreciated. I'm a little pissed that it needs cleaning so soon.
Thank You
rokhopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #7372
svwayne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by alprosound
I finally got 'em. Took a chisel to them and hammered them off. Thanks for all your help.

Geez I hope this mod helps.......
Sorry, I'm a little late to the party. If you look real close at those phillips head screws you'll notice a little dimple or punch mark located next to the phillips slot. That little dimple means that the phillips is a JASO, or some such jap specific, phillips pattern. A #2 or #3 US phillips will strip them suckers all day long. You did the right thing - chisel, vice grip, whatever, them off and replace with some socket head screws.

The DJ kit was the best $60 I ever spent on my DR.

P.S. Snap-on tools is the only company I've found that makes a screwdriver specific to the jap phillips.
svwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #7373
CaptTurbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by alprosound
Yes, I just confirmed that I went with the 155. It was simple to do and now that I've done it I'd like to play around some more when I get time. The bike runs great so I've no need to change it but I'd like to learn more through experimentation so when I can spare the time I'm going to try the 150 just to see what happens. Then I think my TTR is gonna get a re-jet too!
Thanks for checking on that for me John. I'm very interested in following your experience with the rejet. Are you running the stock pipe?

I just found another problem with the second hand kit I just bought. The small washer is missing. I guess someone used the DJ150 and the washer from this kit. I hope this is the DJ needle and I think it is since it has six positions for the clip.

Can anyone tell me if I can find a substitute washer in a parts bin or hardware store that can be used? What size is it exactly? Pictures of it to show scale would be good. Thanks for any efforts.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #7374
alprosound
HappyMan

Cool2 No Problem....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTurbo
Thanks for checking on that for me John. I'm very interested in following your experience with the rejet. Are you running the stock pipe?

I just found another problem with the second hand kit I just bought. The small washer is missing. I guess someone used the DJ150 and the washer from this kit. I hope this is the DJ needle and I think it is since it has six positions for the clip.

Can anyone tell me if I can find a substitute washer in a parts bin or hardware store that can be used? What size is it exactly? Pictures of it to show scale would be good. Thanks for any efforts.
I'm running the stock pipes. I'd love to change up but I could never live with the noise. Why can't they make a pipe with all the benefits and none of the noise? Laws of physics I suspect....

If you've got a used kit I wouldn't be suprised if you've got the stock needle and not the one that came with the kit. I know I put mine back in the kit for safe keeping. Just in case I'd need it in the future....or in other words I'll be throwing it out in a couple of years wondering why I hung on to it.

I think you can get a clip or washer elsewhere but I'm sure someone more knowledgable here can answer that for you. Have fun!!

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #7375
Juiceman34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
First picture posting

Let's see if this works. If it did work the ride was out on Mormon Well Rd north of Vegas.
Juiceman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #7376
Juiceman34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Talking Couple more

Juiceman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #7377
garymonster
Banned

Oddometer: 195
Couldn't have worked better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceman34
Let's see if this works. If it did work the ride was out on Mormon Well Rd north of Vegas.
Thought you were in AZ for a second. Great pic. I just got the black one myself.
garymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:54 PM   #7378
garymonster
Banned

Are those fairing brackets???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceman34
If so, please send pics later. thanks.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #7379
garymonster
Banned

No sh*t, a Japanese phillips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svwayne
Sorry, I'm a little late to the party. If you look real close at those phillips head screws you'll notice a little dimple or punch mark located next to the phillips slot. That little dimple means that the phillips is a JASO, or some such jap specific, phillips pattern. A #2 or #3 US phillips will strip them suckers all day long. You did the right thing - chisel, vice grip, whatever, them off and replace with some socket head screws.

The DJ kit was the best $60 I ever spent on my DR.

P.S. Snap-on tools is the only company I've found that makes a screwdriver specific to the jap phillips.
Well that helps. I was embarassed that I couldn't unscrew the tail light and was stripping the screws. And the damned thing was only screwed onto the plastic fender!
Old 09-23-2007, 09:46 PM   #7380
garymonster
Banned

License plate bracket: Opinions please...

I would like to clean up my DR650's rear end as simply and cleanly as possible (without drilling holes etc.). There is a company that will produce metal items to spec at very reasonable prices provided more than 3 are ordered.

I want a simple aluminum bracket with one 50-55 degree bend that attaches to the existing 2 bolts under the fender. No mods needed. The lower part of the bracket (under the bend) is the shape and size of the license plate with 4 pre-drilled holes.

See Pic #1. This is a license plate holder with built-in LED available on the internet for $35. Available in chrome or black. Very clean looking. It would bolt over the plate and onto the bracket.

My question is: Will the stock wiring work with this as there will no longer be a red light, just the plate illuminator? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images