Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #73966
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Play with this tool

http://cycle-ergo.com/

you can compare bikes. Get the KLR and then see what you have to do to the DR to make the position similar.

To change knee angle you must use seat height, but in reality, you could lower the pegs.

once you have the two bikes selected, use the mouse-wheel to morph between the 2.
That's what I used somewhat to determine what parts I needed to add.

I added the PT ATV mids day 1 to my DR as I know from experience that is a real comfortable upright bar. I wanted to match that from the KLR. The Pro Cycle lowering pegs came later when I realized I had more knee bend than I wanted plus I wanted to lean over less when standing. Adding a firmer upgrade seat helping a ton too from squishing down into stock Suzuki and bending my knees even more.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #73967
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Lots of elements affect ergonomics on a bike. Bar rise and sweep are certainly important elements ... but seat height? peg height? Lever position? reach to bars? is bar rotated forward or back?... and your posture? all have an affect. Even then ... everyone perceives all this a bit differently. Quite a subjective area.

One nice thing about a riser like the ROX system ($$$) is it allows fore and aft adjustment and of course you can rotate the bars forward and back as well. This allows a wide variety of riding positions.

Changing peg height is another element ... and building up or lowering seat is another option that can affect ergonomics.

Some bikes feel great sitting on them in the showroom. But the real test is getting out on the highway for some long rides, and going through some nice twisties to see if the bike is balanced and neutral handling. Where ... and HOW you sit on the bike can affect handling and feedback.
I'd say that 2" Rox and a CR Hi would also make a comfortable and adjustable bar package for most (although pricier than bars alone). I was responding to the angle he wanted KLR ergos and I have 1st hand knowledge of that and the proper bars to match an oem KLR bar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #73968
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
As a side note, I once dumped the bike on the right side hard and after I picked it and myself up, the bike would not shift or come out of gear. To fix it, I just took the clutch apart (just the plates) put it back together and it was good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecold Dan View Post
Hey all,

I have a major issue with my DR. Yesterday as I was down shifting to stop at a light, there was a clunking noise going from 2nd to 1st. When the light turned, the bike wouldn't move. I got it into neutral and pushed it to to the nearest sidewalk. I thought at first that I had thrown the chain, but when I opened the front sprocket cover, I found that the chain was still in place. Uh oh...this isn't good. I ended up calling for a ride and when I got home I started to disassemble things starting at the gear shift mechinasim. Everything there looked good so I moved over to pulling off the right side cover where the clutch is. Everything looked good with the clutch plates but I haven't actually checked tolerances yet. I had to stop when I got to the the large nut on the clutch hub. I believe it is 26mm but wasn't able to confirm as I don't have a socket that big and I couldn't get my wrench in there to test for size.

I'm starting to get nervious that the problem may be in the transmission itself but am not really sure how to troubleshoot any further. I'm not sure what my next step should be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I already think I'm in a bit over my head.

It's an 09 with 15k miles.

Thanks,

Dan

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #73969
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
LUCAS Headlamp switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
Good one! I'll send that on to a couple friends.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #73970
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Lucas; what ever are you talking about??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post

The FIX

Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #73971
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
The FIX

I had the misfortune of helping my friend work on his 1974 Triumph TR6 sports car. Always something with the electrics. Wish we had some of that back then.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #73972
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Chain Tool?

I was wondering how many folks carry some sort of chain tool, breaker/press on their DR for trail side repairs? I'm thinking of getting something and would appreciate any advice on this matter.
Thanks all
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #73973
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
I was wondering how many folks carry some sort of chain tool, breaker/press on their DR for trail side repairs? I'm thinking of getting something and would appreciate any advice on this matter.
Thanks all

I have been carrying this style since the '70s.

I also now(with the advent of press fit M/L) drill out the plate of the spare masterlink so it is slip fit, like back in the '70's.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Old 02-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #73974
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
I have been carrying this style since the '70s. (pic) ... I also now(with the advent of press fit M/L) drill out the plate of the spare masterlink so it is slip fit, like back in the '70's.
I recently bought a Motion Pro PBR press tool kit for inclusion on the DR for out of state trips. Dead weight, yes, but I'll admit I'm relatively newish to chains - my last chain driven bike was a CBR1100xx and I didn't take that thing on long trips.

Can you elaborate a little on what you mean by this? Do you then mount it like a clip and wire it?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #73975
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Thanks Rusty,
Flowbee, I'm new to learnng how to work on bikes, and if I had a chain problem out in the wilderness, I might not know exactly how to fix it, but I at least want the right tools!

More suggestions please.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #73976
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
I recently bought a Motion Pro PBR press tool kit for inclusion on the DR for out of state trips. Dead weight, yes, but I'll admit I'm relatively newish to chains - my last chain driven bike was a CBR1100xx and I didn't take that thing on long trips.

Can you elaborate a little on what you mean by this? Do you then mount it like a clip and wire it?

Thanks.
I carry a spare that looks like this

I believe I have a DID 520 o-ring chain

I drill (with a #7 drill, .201 inch dia) the plate so it fits snugly, but is free fitting so I can put it together without a chain press. Old school.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #73977
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Thanks all
I carry one of these:

http://terra-x.com.au/chainbreaker/
Check the video to see what it can do.

Best to use, and lightest and smallest I know of, and I've tried a few over the years, including one like Rusty's above.

We not long did a group buy on the Oz sub forum. They are not cheap, but they will not let you down, they just work. They may or may not be available ATM.

I also carry a few masterlinks and some spare chain.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #73978
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Thanks Rusty,
Flowbee, I'm new to learnng how to work on bikes, and if I had a chain problem out in the wilderness, I might not know exactly how to fix it, but I at least want the right tools!

More suggestions please.
I also carry a spare length of chain, about 4 links, in case a section is damaged/twisted so I can cut out the offending links and fix with the piece of chain and 2 masterlinks.

I carry too much stuff. My fannypack weighs at least 20lbs. Guys in my club are always looking for me when they break down.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #73979
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
I am having an issue with the starter button on my 09. Sometimes the button doesn't do anything, it acts like the kickstand is down and in gear, but the kickstand won't be down and it will be in neutral. I try feathering the clutch a bit to see if maybe it's that switch but it just seems to be random..... Is this a common issue with an easy fix?
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #73980
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
I am having an issue with the starter button on my 09. Sometimes the button doesn't do anything, it acts like the kickstand is down and in gear, but the kickstand won't be down and it will be in neutral. I try feathering the clutch a bit to see if maybe it's that switch but it just seems to be random..... Is this a common issue with an easy fix?
Check the kill switch on the right handlebar pod.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote