Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #73981
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
I was wondering how many folks carry some sort of chain tool, breaker/press on their DR for trail side repairs? I'm thinking of getting something and would appreciate any advice on this matter.
Thanks all

I have been carrying this style since the '70s.

I also now(with the advent of press fit M/L) drill out the plate of the spare masterlink so it is slip fit, like back in the '70's.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #73982
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I have been carrying this style since the '70s. (pic) ... I also now(with the advent of press fit M/L) drill out the plate of the spare masterlink so it is slip fit, like back in the '70's.
I recently bought a Motion Pro PBR press tool kit for inclusion on the DR for out of state trips. Dead weight, yes, but I'll admit I'm relatively newish to chains - my last chain driven bike was a CBR1100xx and I didn't take that thing on long trips.

Can you elaborate a little on what you mean by this? Do you then mount it like a clip and wire it?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #73983
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Thanks Rusty,
Flowbee, I'm new to learnng how to work on bikes, and if I had a chain problem out in the wilderness, I might not know exactly how to fix it, but I at least want the right tools!

More suggestions please.
dljocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #73984
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
I recently bought a Motion Pro PBR press tool kit for inclusion on the DR for out of state trips. Dead weight, yes, but I'll admit I'm relatively newish to chains - my last chain driven bike was a CBR1100xx and I didn't take that thing on long trips.

Can you elaborate a little on what you mean by this? Do you then mount it like a clip and wire it?

Thanks.
I carry a spare that looks like this

I believe I have a DID 520 o-ring chain

I drill (with a #7 drill, .201 inch dia) the plate so it fits snugly, but is free fitting so I can put it together without a chain press. Old school.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #73985
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,902
Quote:
I was wondering how many folks carry some sort of chain tool, breaker/press on their DR for trail side repairs? I'm thinking of getting something and would appreciate any advice on this matter.
Thanks all
I carry one of these:

http://terra-x.com.au/chainbreaker/
Check the video to see what it can do.

Best to use, and lightest and smallest I know of, and I've tried a few over the years, including one like Rusty's above.

We not long did a group buy on the Oz sub forum. They are not cheap, but they will not let you down, they just work. They may or may not be available ATM.

I also carry a few masterlinks and some spare chain.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #73986
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Thanks Rusty,
Flowbee, I'm new to learnng how to work on bikes, and if I had a chain problem out in the wilderness, I might not know exactly how to fix it, but I at least want the right tools!

More suggestions please.
I also carry a spare length of chain, about 4 links, in case a section is damaged/twisted so I can cut out the offending links and fix with the piece of chain and 2 masterlinks.

I carry too much stuff. My fannypack weighs at least 20lbs. Guys in my club are always looking for me when they break down.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #73987
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
I am having an issue with the starter button on my 09. Sometimes the button doesn't do anything, it acts like the kickstand is down and in gear, but the kickstand won't be down and it will be in neutral. I try feathering the clutch a bit to see if maybe it's that switch but it just seems to be random..... Is this a common issue with an easy fix?
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #73988
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
I am having an issue with the starter button on my 09. Sometimes the button doesn't do anything, it acts like the kickstand is down and in gear, but the kickstand won't be down and it will be in neutral. I try feathering the clutch a bit to see if maybe it's that switch but it just seems to be random..... Is this a common issue with an easy fix?
Check the kill switch on the right handlebar pod.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #73989
FlowBee
Just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I also carry a spare length of chain, about 4 links, in case a section is damaged/twisted so I can cut out the offending links and fix with the piece of chain and 2 masterlinks.
I think I get it now. You modify the rivet fit kit enough so that it barely works like a master link kit. Gets you back to civilization.

When you're in BF Egypt it's better to be looking AT it than looking FOR it. Beats walking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
My fannypack weighs at least 20lbs. Guys in my club are always looking for me when they break down.
Like having a Safari tank on a DR. Suddenly you're OPEC 1973 .....
Old 02-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #73990
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Starter switch

Mine did the same thing for a few times, then quit working altogether at the worst possible time. It is a poor design as the "button/lever" hangs down in harm's way. Check the kill switch & all connectors, if it then does not work consistantly, buy a new one!

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #73991
FlowBee
Just me.

Quote:
You might also try disconnecting the sidestand immobilizer switch to see if that helps. Your nanny government in cooperation with personal injury lawyers mandated these to protect you from yourself. Once disconnected you will discover the freedom to start the bike and let it idle on the sidestand.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #73992
Icecold Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Thanks for the response Escaped. I did remove the plates and as I said they appeared fine. I'll take your advice and put it all back together and see if that solves it.

Dan
Old 02-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #73993
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Thanks Rusty,

More suggestions please.
Over time/miles I've gained 100% confidence that a chain problem is unlikely. The key is having a high quality, properly adjusted chain to start with ... and properly installed Rivet link. In nearly 200,000 miles I've not broken a chain or had a Rivet link fail ... or seen one break in my group of riders.

Got a cheap, worn out chain? Got worn crappy sprockets? Using a poorly installed Clip Type link? In that case you are on your own. Proceed at your own risk.

Carrying a proper chain cutting tool is extra weight I can do without. That said, I do carry a spare master link ... clip type. That is an old habit left over from the "Bad Old Days" of riding ... before Rivet links and DID X Ring chains.

Keep your chain clean, lubed and adjusted, change your sprockets before they are worn out and use a good quality chain.
... you should be just fine.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #73994
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Flood switch with WD40 ... DO NOT disassemble.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #73995
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Thanks for the input folks. I've had good luck also with chains Adv grifter and I carry 1 spare master link. Bergdonk, that is a nice little tool. I wonder if anyone in the states carries something like that?
dljocky is online now   Reply With Quote