Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #73981
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The CBR1100XX was sold from 96-'07. Not any more antique than a DR650
Right, A BlackBird. Should have mentioned that right off ... Sorry, I was thinking 80's CB1100F.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/hon...100_f_1983.php

Remember those?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #73982
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTrainer View Post
Mine did the same thing for a few times, then quit working altogether at the worst possible time. It is a poor design as the "button/lever" hangs down in harm's way. Check the kill switch & all connectors, if it then does not work consistantly, buy a new one!
Or you can buy a momentary mini switch from Radio Shack,fits inside the housing.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #73983
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That said, I do carry a spare master link ... clip type. That is an old habit left over from the "Bad Old Days" of riding ... before Rivet links and DID X Ring chains.
Yeah, I started back when many bikes had 428 chains. Last several times my chain tool was used, it was for someone else.
Just like the mini jumper cables I carry. I'm like AAA for woods bikes.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #73984
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Yeah, I started back when many bikes had 428 chains. Last several times my chain tool was used, it was for someone else.
Just like the mini jumper cables I carry. I'm like AAA for woods bikes.
OK, so ride behind Russ for free parts with phone numbers when they fall off. Ride in front of Russ when I might break and need tools. Got it
BTW I remember either you or GotDirt pulling out some tools and hardware once for something and one of you had some half links that were pretty cool to use in a jam.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #73985
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Your nanny government in cooperation with personal injury lawyers mandated these to protect you from yourself.
Amen to that.
Quote:
Once disconnected you will discover the freedom to start the bike and let it idle on the sidestand.
Mine starts and idles on the sidestand. (but it wouldn't when the NSU was unplugged)

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #73986
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecold Dan View Post
When the light turned, the bike wouldn't move. I got it into neutral and pushed it to to the nearest sidewalk. I thought at first that I had thrown the chain, but when I opened the front sprocket cover, I found that the chain was still in place.
So when you went to pull away did the revs drop as you let the clutch out (something locked in the transmission) or was it like it was in neutral (clutch not engaging)?

Have you tried to roll it backwards in gear with the engine off? This suggestion is not based on any sound mechanical knowledge but rather on my strange primitive understanding of things. If something has jammed and you've been lucky and it hasn't grenaded the engine... I'm thinking roll it backwards and it might come loose and drain out with the oil.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #73987
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Your nanny government in cooperation with personal injury lawyers mandated these to protect you from yourself. Once disconnected you will discover the freedom to start the bike and let it idle on the sidestand.
Lol, I removed all the interlock stuff. Last time I stood there and proudly explained to someone all that I had done and removed and how it was only required to protect idiots from themselves in the first place..... Then I promptly pushed the starter with the bike in gear and clutch out, bike lurched forward, side stand dug in and I nearly dropped the lot.

What
a
tosser.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #73988
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I carry one of these:

http://terra-x.com.au/chainbreaker/
Check the video to see what it can do.

Best to use, and lightest and smallest I know of, and I've tried a few over the years, including one like Rusty's above.

We not long did a group buy on the Oz sub forum. They are not cheap, but they will not let you down, they just work. They may or may not be available ATM.

I also carry a few masterlinks and some spare chain.
ask them to throw in a couple of extra pins with this one. i had my pin shatter. was at home so no big deal but on the trail that would be a little more serious.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:19 AM   #73989
rogor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
ask them to throw in a couple of extra pins with this one. i had my pin shatter. was at home so no big deal but on the trail that would be a little more serious.

Check the website and video, they have a new grub screw designed to do the job now. Very reasonable price in their parts section. Ordered one today. This is one of the good tools for home or trail.
rogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #73990
toastmuncher
I be new round here! Ello

Oddometer: 672
I have mine apart, the starter clutch seems noisy and she has an oil leak from the inner generator cover so Rotor has to come off to access that anyway.
Does anyone know, is the rotor bolt left or right hand threaded? I know its tight, I snapped one on a Kawasaki year ago as I didnt realise the thread was a left hand 'clockwise to remove' job.

Thanks, in advance.
Guzzi 700 V7 details-mystery
Matchless g3ls 350 54, Ariel 650 huntmaster 56. IBA 40526
toastmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #73991
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
if it's for a gsxr1000, i don't see why you couldn't use it. if it has the bolt pattern of the stock gsxr, you could bolt it to one of the kientech midpipes. i have a tsukigi gsxr1000 can on my bike.

but, the prices for the gsxr cans should be dropping; if not, don't buy one. i wouldn't pay over $100 shipped for one. now that kientech also has a midpipe set-up for the hyabusa can - which seems to be every bit as good as the gsxr1000 can, and a lot more plentiful - there's no reason to limit your search to these gsxr cans...

doug s.
Thanks. I did not know that the Hayabusa can's would work. I just saw one GSXR can for $250 and was looking for an alternative to fit my thrifty wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
I expect that would be loud as hell, and it requires regular repacking. Neither of these are factors with the OEM gixxer can.

Sent from my Rotary Dial Phone using TapaTalk.
I did not think about it needing frequent repacking. I have a roll of insulation from Home Depot ofr my trials bike that could be used. Repacking is not so bad, but I do not want it to be loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Regular packing, or anything - me being a prior ZX-7R guy, nothing would make me more happy than to have a Muzzy exhaust like that on my DR650
I'll make sure and post pictures if I do it.
SCExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #73992
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Star Tron is good too.
I'm not having any ethanol related problems (in any vehicle) when i use Lucas. I pay $26 a gallon http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10013-Fu.../dp/B000FW7V50 and that lasts me at least 1/2 yr with all my vehicles using it. I think Star Tron costs much more to use plus it's for ethanol issues only yes?, & not continual cleaning & lubrication in the oil & thus fuel pumps, carbs, FI plus valve & piston carbon cleaning. i've looked into my spark plug hole and the top of my piston is clean. i've seen some heavily carboned DR pistons to know this is not always the case.
You sold me! Just ordered some from Amazon. I wonder how many others did too?
SCExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #73993
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
Hey, that's how I got my DR650. Reading about it on the internet and getting psyched. Winter blues and the Net, what a combination.

Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #73994
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Yeah, I'm going to have to pick some up too. My poor ol bike is getting up in miles and years. Any preventative maintenance I can do to keep it running great is going to be on my list.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #73995
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Thanks. I did not know that the Hayabusa can's would work. I just saw one GSXR can for $250 and was looking for an alternative to fit my thrifty wallet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130709178700

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170990777955

http://kientech.com/DR650GSXRExaust.htm

doug s.
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote