Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #74371
Skidmarkart
Dirty Middle Age Man

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaadvandmtbrider View Post
2005 DR650, 3400 miles, for sale just down the road, all stock, new battery and rear tire, not too excited about yellow, but what should I pay??
I picked up a 100% stock 2005 with low miles for $3700.

BTW - the yellow ones are the fastest.
Skidmarkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 AM   #74372
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by BombayG View Post
I have one question: I am looking for a nice dual sport to take around town (I live near Los Angelese so i need one that can go on the freeway rides, city/town rides and I also want to take it off roading once in a while). That being said after my minimal research I came to the conclusion that the DR 650 post 2003 is a good choice for both freeway riding and off roading.

I am 6'4, 185lbs (of muscle :P). I want to eventuall take the bike on long distances (probably from cali to lets say new york?) or maybe even overseas and do some sight seeing. I want the bike to be reliable, comfortable, easy to fix (no fixing is best but if it does I want to be easy to fix it).

Is the DR650 right for me? Is there any problems associated with them (frame, engine, etc..?). I have never had a bike before, this would be my first one so I am a newbb! go easy on me with the limboo lol
I have found the DR to be quite able to handle most things I throw at it. Be it off road riding or city traffic. Where I am from we don't have anything near as bad as LA traffic but the ol DR would work just fine.

Known problems right off the hop are the neutral safety switch screws which can come loose and ruin the engine. Its been well documented on how to address the issue. Some bikes have had 3rd gear failures in the tranny but it seems to be a rare occurrence and shouldn't dissuade anyone from buying a DR.

Another problem is the upper chain roller near the front sprocket of the bike. Some folks have had the chin make contact and tear that roller off, leaving a nice big hole in the frame. This is easily addressed by removing the roller and filling the hole with a set screw or silicone. This was actually the very first mod I ever did on my DR :)

The older ones, pre 2001 or so, have had weepy gasket issues at the base of the cylinder jug. and I think the 97-99 models had some issues with the starter motors....but that is easily gotten around by buying a newer model.

Hope you find a nice one
Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #74373
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
My cold weather DR setup.
Screen/mounts & handguards all come off in a few minutes.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=107

Looks good. Do they throw any wind onto your face?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #74374
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,579
Any Seat Concepts riders on board here. The price seems the most affordable. I have a compressor, but what type of staples are used to mount the seat? Did you guys use some sort of air stapler etc? Im capable, but want to know what im getting into.

specifically I like the seat concepts idea since they offer a "tall" at Procycle.

greg
Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #74375
disconnected
ultra runner

Just installed a heavier rear shock and new front valves and springs and it sits a little higher. But that doesnt really play a difference in comfort since the pegs and seat are still the same distance apart. ... doh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
I haven't done the lower pegs yet, but if my bike sat little higher off the ground. (like with upgraded suspension) I would do it in a heartbeat. I have been toying with the idea of just cutting the stalks down on my oem pegs and re welding them...
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #74376
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Any Seat Concepts riders on board here. The price seems the most affordable. I have a compressor, but what type of staples are used to mount the seat? Did you guys use some sort of air stapler etc? Im capable, but want to know what im getting into.

specifically I like the seat concepts idea since they offer a "tall" at Procycle.

greg
I have a SeatConcepts Tall.
I had them staple it. You get free return shipping if you tell them you are a member here. It's $20 I believe to have them do it. My buddy had an upolstery shop do his and it was $20 also.

I would advise getting the smooth vinyl cover. The "gripper" covers are too sticky for my liking.

makes the bike look meaner in my opinion

Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #74377
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaadvandmtbrider View Post
2005 DR650, 3400 miles, for sale just down the road, all stock, new battery and rear tire, not too excited about yellow, but what should I pay??
$2500-3500 sounds decent if it's in nice shape.

Ignore the color. You'll be changing the gas tank out for a bigger one so you can pick a new color. The seat too (so it'll become all black). As I recall, the side panels and headlight cowl are already white, so that leaves the front and rear fenders. Many replace the front fender with the Super Moto one for less wind steer on the freeways, so that just leaves the rear fender, which is fairly cheap from Suzuki. Color problem solved. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #74378
disconnected
ultra runner

Thats great, and very affordable at 20.00. I only have 1 seat, so I would like to try it by myself, but if I can find a loaner seat in the Pittsburgh Area, I would send it out. :)
Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #74379
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
What rear shock did you install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Just installed a heavier rear shock and new front valves and springs and it sits a little higher. But that doesnt really play a difference in comfort since the pegs and seat are still the same distance apart. ... doh...
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #74380
disconnected
ultra runner

I didnt do the "shock" stated it wrong, I just started with the Procycle 8.3 Spring. and in the front I did the Ricor Intiminators and Race Tech Springs in a .80.

greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
What rear shock did you install?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #74381
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Where are they made? Any idea? Maybe we could drop a note to them and see about a 130/17 size for the DR, KLR, G and F BMW 650's, and a whole bunch of other bikes.
I've been asking MotoZ for 17" dual sport tires for years. Every time I see their rep at a trade show or event I bring it up. All I get is 'Yeah, we hear that a lot...'

Don't hold your breath
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #74382
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obard View Post
It seems that if I leave the "choke" (or is it an enrichner) on, it won't die when I add throttle.
That suggests your pilot jet is plugged.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 10:24 AM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #74383
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BombayG View Post
Hey guys, First post and I'm glad to have found this community! You guys seem very involved, knowledgeable and passionate about bikes!

I have one question: I am looking for a nice dual sport to take around town (I live near Los Angelese so i need one that can go on the freeway rides, city/town rides and I also want to take it off roading once in a while). That being said after my minimal research I came to the conclusion that the DR 650 post 2003 is a good choice for both freeway riding and off roading.

I am 6'4, 185lbs (of muscle :P). I want to eventuall take the bike on long distances (probably from cali to lets say new york?) or maybe even overseas and do some sight seeing. I want the bike to be reliable, comfortable, easy to fix (no fixing is best but if it does I want to be easy to fix it).

Is the DR650 right for me? Is there any problems associated with them (frame, engine, etc..?). I have never had a bike before, this would be my first one so I am a newbb! go easy on me with the limboo lol
First up should be to get some rider training.
http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

The DR650 is a good choice for you but may feel a bit cramped at your height. Think about using a TALL seat (see a few posts before this one for an example), also, you can lower foot pegs to allow more leg room.

The rest will come with lots of ON BIKE practice. The better your riding gets the more you will appreciate the DR650 for all the things you list. Lots of bikes could do Freeway, commute, and City traffic duty ... but not that many can do well off road. Take your time learning ... practice practice and more practice.
NOTE: MOTORCYCLES ARE DANGEROUS.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #74384
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
That suggests your pilot jet is plugged.
I was thinking the same, or that some orifice was plugged up or partially blocked.

I just got through a huge learning curve with a Kawasaki Vulcan's carb, and this sounded very familliar.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #74385
Bo Radley
ADV Commuter

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmarkart View Post
I picked up a 100% stock 2005 with low miles for $3700.

BTW - the yellow ones are the fastest.
I got my stock '05 with 9k miles for $2700.