Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #74671
Greaslife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Yah figured reading was going too come up. Damn.
Shock tuning is a must. Nose dives hard and is nose high just running down the road even with me sitting on the tank.
Think I'm going too change the bars out too renthal cr high bars from what little I have read.
Picks here you go

Think I'm going too fabb peg brackets this weakened 2inch down And 1inch too 1.5 back so my flippers stop getting stuck.

Thanks for the info

Here's a pick
Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #74672
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Since the IMS has a glossy finish, I'll be curious to know if it does stay marked. I just got a natural color Acerbis which has a matte finish. I think it's going to keep every finger print I put on it. I mark the magazines for my XDM with a Sharpie and they need refreshing on occassion.

Are you going to mark it with the bike vertical or on the sidestand?
XDm? Good man!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #74673
speedmaster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Front Wheel Bias?

My 19” front wheel is about 1/8” biased to the brake rotor side of the forks. Is this normal for the stock set up? I don’t have my 21” wheel anymore to check it and find out. So if someone could take a close up picture or let me know I’d appreciate it.

Thanks

speedmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #74674
richeyroo
XT6-- 34L, CRF450X

Oddometer: 113
Hot

Hi gang

I am on the verge on buying a 2013 DR650 out here in the Middle East (Oman) where I am working

I'm sold on the reliability/simplicity of the bike which is real important out here. I know the bits that need to be changed, so I just have one little doubt removing before I buy

How does the DR cope with high ambient air temperatures. Even in winter out here it doesn't get below 25C (77F) and from May to September it doesn't really go below 35C (95F). Occasionally it hits 45C (115F) in June , July and August and on those days, I ain't gonna ride the bike

But for reassurance I need some "I rode my bike all day off road when it was 38C (100F) and the bike was as happy as a pig in sh*t" type stories. I think that will be my upper limit. I will get a Vapor to monitor oil temperature and run good synthetic oil.

Looking forward to joining the gang

Richey
richeyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #74675
shu

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by richeyroo View Post
Hi gang

I am on the verge on buying a 2013 DR650 out here in the Middle East (Oman) where I am working

I'm sold on the reliability/simplicity of the bike which is real important out here. I know the bits that need to be changed, so I just have one little doubt removing before I buy

How does the DR cope with high ambient air temperatures. Even in winter out here it doesn't get below 25C (77F) and from May to September it doesn't really go below 35C (95F). Occasionally it hits 45C (115F) in June , July and August and on those days, I ain't gonna ride the bike

But for reassurance I need some "I rode my bike all day off road when it was 38C (100F) and the bike was as happy as a pig in sh*t" type stories. I think that will be my upper limit. I will get a Vapor to monitor oil temperature and run good synthetic oil.

Richey
Ive never heard of a DR overheating. Lots of guys ride them through the deserts of the world all day, day after day with no problems. Very popular bike in Australia.

I've ridden mine for days through Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan with air temps at 110-115* F and ground temps at about 150*. The bike never faltered, but I did.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...a+2010+rocking

................shu
shu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #74676
richeyroo
XT6-- 34L, CRF450X

Oddometer: 113
richeyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #74677
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
I live in Sacramento California and in the Summer it is regularly over 100 degrees F. I have ridden when it was as hot as 105 with no problems. The tires were to hot to touch - the tip of the muffler FMF Q1 (titanium) was cooler than the business side of my rear tire

Quote:
Hi gang

Richey

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #74678
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

Richey
As stated above, lots of guys here ridden in high temps, on and off road. I've ridden through Death Valley at 118F. Also, several multi thousand mile tours through Baja and mainland Mexico. Many 400 mile days between 90F and 100F.
So Yes ... the DR is as happy as a pig in shit! It does heat better than about any bike i've owned.

If your churning through very deep sand for hours in high temp at full throttle ... that would be the only situation where I would back down some. Use good synthetic oil. Keep moving if you can. You'll be OK.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #74679
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Hi gang

Richey
im in indonesia at the moment and the temps vary between 28 and 36 C. the biggest test ive given it is in jakarta traffic: 2hrs to do 15km. on the vapor she normally runs between 80C on open roads and 100C in normal traffic. in Jakarta she peaked at 150C and never missed a beat but was uncomfortably hot between the legs. running Mobil 1 5W50. wouldnt be too hard to install a small fan on the back of the oil cooler either if you were really worried.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #74680
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_runner View Post
XDm? Good man!
XDm-40 3.8

Quote:
Hi gang

and run good synthetic oil.

Richey
Welcome to the DR and ADVrider.

This is all the DR asks for. With good oil, yer boots will melt before the DR has heat problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
im in indonesia at the moment and the temps vary between 28 and 36 C. the biggest test ive given it is in jakarta traffic: 2hrs to do 15km. on the vapor she normally runs between 80C on open roads and 100C in normal traffic. in Jakarta she peaked at 150C and never missed a beat but was uncomfortably hot between the legs. running Mobil 1 5W50. wouldnt be too hard to install a small fan on the back of the oil cooler either if you were really worried.
Richey; read some of Blackcap's previous posts. He's BTDT Actually, he's doing it right now.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #74681
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Hi gang

Richey
Bangkok, Thailand 3 for years. Temps often in the mid 90's and humidity near 100 % in heavy traffic, with 10 hrs + on the bike and no problems. Now living in the desert with temps at times reaching 113 F with many hours wide open at high revs. No problems with heat (I mean the bike... I almost passed out a few times). The DR is one tough bike.
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #74682
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,815
Quote:
XDm-40 3.8

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #74683
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 9,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaslife View Post
Yah figured reading was going too come up. Damn.
Shock tuning is a must. Nose dives hard and is nose high just running down the road even with me sitting on the tank.
Think I'm going too change the bars out too renthal cr high bars from what little I have read.
Picks here you go

Think I'm going too fabb peg brackets this weakened 2inch down And 1inch too 1.5 back so my flippers stop getting stuck.

Thanks for the info

Here's a pick
I love the grey. Go back to post # 74558, we discussed the "Cramp Buster" it will help with that right hand issue.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #74684
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
XDm-40 3.8

I've got an XD9mm. I like it. I have two sixteen round mags for it too. I also recently aquiered a S&W Body Guard 380. It is a little more compact than my wallet, slightly bigger than a deck of cards, and has a built in laser.

jessepitt screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 07:15 AM
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #74685
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,270
Thanks.

The bog happens above idle up to 1/8 throttle. Engine temp does not matter. It does not happen all the time. When I sit at a light and then open the throttle it happens; so when the bike is sitting idling for a bit. It's loading up rich. If the engine is revved up and then it drop to idle and I open the throttle right away again, it does not happen. Sometimes when it idles for a bit it also does not happen.

So a 2nd slide hole does not help the slide lift up faster (ie engine revs quicker)? The existing slide hole only helps to keep the slide from oscillating but does not have any function in how the slide lifts? So adding a 2nd hole causes the slide to oscillate more and does nothing for power? Why does KTM spec a oem slide w/ 2 holes then? I can plug my 2nd hole with a hard drive screw that fits perfectly in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Does the bog happen anywhere above idle up to 1/8 opening? Does the problem improve or get worse when warmed up?

I would install an adjustable needle instead of shimming a non-adjustable one.

I would not drill the slide.

I would try the non-USA adjustable needle first.

You can raise the needle by one clip position to start, but I wouldn't worry about that too much, as the engine will tell you what clip position it wants when it comes time to tune 1/4 opening.

I would try the non-USA DR needle first.See http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528038.

I think it's a bad idea.It drastically accelerates slide guide, emulsion tube slide and jet needle wear, while making less horsepower at every opening on the KTM I tried it on.

Spring rate and preload controls the average height the slide rises to for a given intersection of throttle position and rpm.

The lift hole area controls how damped the slide movement is, i.e. how much it oscillates.

It likely won't need anything too radically different than what it needs now, but the engine will tell you.

Regards,

Derek
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote