Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #74776
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
Hmm....squids and pirates, what's the derogatory name for dual sporters or do we need to come up with one?
"Friends" is about the most derogatory thing I can call my riding buddies...
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #74777
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,974
Starbuckers
Old 03-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #74778
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Price check

There's a 2009 DR650 with just over 8100 miles for sale for $4000 firm. It's a trade in at a dealership and had been listed for $5000 during February. From the pics, it looks to be in great condition. All stock and the salesman said the PO never took it off road or dropped it. He's supposedly a mature 40-something rider who traded it in for a cruiser.

This would be my first DR and I'm hoping to get a good deal! Is this a fair price?

Thanks,
Boon
NWBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #74779
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoon View Post
There's a 2009 DR650 with just over 8100 miles for sale for $4000 firm. It's a trade in at a dealership and had been listed for $5000 during February. From the pics, it looks to be in great condition. All stock and the salesman said the PO never took it off road or dropped it. He's supposedly a mature 40-something rider who traded it in for a cruiser.

This would be my first DR and I'm hoping to get a good deal! Is this a fair price?

Thanks,
Boon
Dealer? Write him a check for $3800 and start heading out the door. If you can get it for 4K, you can get it for 3800! I'd buy it. Farkle it YOUR way.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #74780
NWBoon
Adventurer

Thanks sky sailor! I may just try that, the only gamble is that it's located 230 miles away.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #74781
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoon View Post

Thanks,
Boon
Well, I *think* in 2009 the DR650 MSRP was $5299. I would imagine at some point they'd be sold for around $4700 or $4800 at the dealerships (end of year or with dealer incentives). So, my thought is it's about $750 off the price it was at the time of original purchase and it's now four years old and 8,100 miles.

I think $4000 is high, but that's just my opinion. I would ask the salesman what it sold for new. If there is one owner and he traded it in on a cruiser, he may have purchased it there in the first place. I'd ask the salesperson to check and see if they were the original selling dealer. Just my own convoluted thinking, but I'd be asking the salesperson how much they intend to make on the sale of the same bike twice and see if it gets him/her thinking about coming down a bit.

Or, what might be easier is decide what it's worth to you and offer that amount. Could be it's worth $4,000 to you and you can just walk in and buy it and be done in fifteen minutes

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #74782
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Well, I *think* in 2009 the DR650 MSRP was $5299. I would imagine at some point they'd be sold for around $4700 or $4800 at the dealerships (end of year or with dealer incentives). So, my thought is it's about $750 off the price it was at the time of original purchase and it's now four years old and 8,100 miles.

I think $4000 is high, but that's just my opinion. I would ask the salesman what it sold for new. If there is one owner and he traded it in on a cruiser, he may have purchased it there in the first place. I'd ask the salesperson to check and see if they were the original selling dealer. Just my own convoluted thinking, but I'd be asking the salesperson how much they intend to make on the sale of the same bike twice and see if it gets him/her thinking about coming down a bit.

Or, what might be easier is decide what it's worth to you and offer that amount. Could be it's worth $4,000 to you and you can just walk in and buy it and be done in fifteen minutes
Your logic makes sense, but not for a dealership. The profits on new bikes are very low, coupled with the fact that there are literally hundreds of the exact same bike all over the country, you need to negotiate to move units.
On a used bike there is only one exact version of that bike and though others may be close, it is still a unique piece. You can then ask whatever you want for it and it will sell eventually since they can't go down the road and buy the same bike.
I worked for over fifteen years in the industry and I can say that the profit margin on a bike like a DR is small after the buyer negotiates. I would guess $400 max, on a used bike I wanted to make a grand or better on every deal.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #74783
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
on a used bike I wanted to make a grand or better on every deal.
Greedy FF
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #74784
NWBoon
Adventurer

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #74785
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Greedy FF
Yup In private I am about the same, unless it is a cheap bike. I use the money to support my habit. Here is a peek into my garage.

There are ten bikes or rolling chassis in there and another two in parts boxes.
I need all the money i can get
These are my money pits and money makers
Old 03-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #74786
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like Suzuki is really selling a lot more DR 650 lately? Even my local dealer who never carries any dual sport motorcycles actually has a DR 650 on the floor for 0% finance. They usually just cater to the squids and pirates, never to dual sports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
Check the magazines and e -media, Dual sport is the next big wave, expect to see more riders on your favorite trails come this summer. This new popularity will be a blessing and a curse.
The 2nd dual sport revolution (1st one was in the 70's) has been going on now for quite a few years. Where ya been Carl? American Suzuki guys claimed the DR650 was selling better than it ever has ... that was in 2007, and sales have continued strong.

Dual Sport sales (for all brands) were about the only segment NOT to be totally hammered by the recession. The old guys at Am. Suzuki did not get it ... because they are seriously out of touch with whats going on in the MC riding world. But the younger guys DID get it. Suzuki also promised a "new" Dual Sport ... but so far? Nothing.

This 2nd wave Dual Sport surge, IMO has been brought on by several factors ... but the ADV Rider/Long Way Round movement has been a factor for sure. Also, lots of returning riders remember how much fun they had back in the 70's on some or other dirt bike or dual sport.

Blessing and a Curse? This is true. Fewer guys are riding Cruisers and Sport bikes, more out there on Dual Sport bikes ... actually going someplace. And yes ... thousands will hit the trails this year. The aftermarket guys are the real beneficiaries here. Farkel Madness!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #74787
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The 2nd dual sport revolution (1st one was in the 70's) has been going on now for quite a few years. Where ya been Carl? A
Maybe even the 60's, I was 14 and riding a Yammy 250 2 smoke but back then they were called "Enduros". A little later I went to a Triumph T100 high pipe. Then got sucked into the first wave Chopper craze. (I'm glad both waves are over now.) My first DR was a 91 and my current is my third. My first DR I road all over New England and people would always say" You rode that dirt bike all that way?!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #74788
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228
Although I miss the days of blasting all over the place on my 2T with no license or reg, I find a lot of fun now riding dual sport. Unlike the days gone by, I don't get chased by the cops and now have enough time and money to set up the bike and travel. Barring any serious crashes, I can see myself doing this for a long time. It's kind of like back packing but easier and louder.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #74789
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Although I miss the days of blasting all over the place on my 2T with no license or reg, I find a lot of fun now riding dual sport. Unlike the days gone by, I don't get chased by the cops and now have enough time and money to set up the bike and travel. Barring any serious crashes, I can see myself doing this for a long time. It kind of like back packing but easier and louder.
Rich: I predict that you will have a DR650 real soon.

maybe we can set something up so you can try mine.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #74790
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Are there any other fork braces out there besides the SuperBrace and RSW Racing ones?

DR = Dirt Rat!

Jeff

'09 DR650SE (It's white)
'96 DR350/441SET (It's white too)
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote