Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #74776
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The 2nd dual sport revolution (1st one was in the 70's) has been going on now for quite a few years. Where ya been Carl? American Suzuki guys claimed the DR650 was selling better than it ever has ... that was in 2007, and sales have continued strong.

Dual Sport sales (for all brands) were about the only segment NOT to be totally hammered by the recession. The old guys at Am. Suzuki did not get it ... because they are seriously out of touch with whats going on in the MC riding world. But the younger guys DID get it. Suzuki also promised a "new" Dual Sport ... but so far? Nothing.

This 2nd wave Dual Sport surge, IMO has been brought on by several factors ... but the ADV Rider/Long Way Round movement has been a factor for sure. Also, lots of returning riders remember how much fun they had back in the 70's on some or other dirt bike or dual sport.

Blessing and a Curse? This is true. Fewer guys are riding Cruisers and Sport bikes, more out there on Dual Sport bikes ... actually going someplace. And yes ... thousands will hit the trails this year. The aftermarket guys are the real beneficiaries here. Farkel Madness!
The dual-sport surge, especially for simpler bikes like the DR & KLR, is these bikes are affordable standard bikes for most. Many do not go off-road and just become run around and commuter bikes. With all these talks of the "return of standard bike", such as the CB1100, it's really bikes like the DR (that never left) that are the bearer of the standard bike torch.

I'd bet for the ones that see dirt, a good chunk are just easy county roads and such.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #74777
rspratley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Vision X light

Just added a 45 vision x light to my DR

rspratley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #74778
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspratley View Post

You like that better than the Rigid? I've been looking for supplemental lighting for both my bikes.
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #74779
MATT0404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
First of all, thank you all for the warm welcome. I will certainly be doing a safety course as soon as the weather warms up. Until then, I'll be practicing around my house. I've also updated my location as suggested.

I have a question for you guys. This being my first bike, I'm not quite sure what to expect as normal/abnormal. Something that has concerned me is that when I start my bike for the first time in the morning (usually around 30 degrees), it fires right up with the choke on. It idles fine and I'm able to turn the choke off within a few minutes to let it idle on it's own but, it takes 15 minutes or more before it will take light throttle without breaking up/bogging. Is this something to be concerned about or considered normal?
MATT0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #74780
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post
First of all, thank you all for the warm welcome. I will certainly be doing a safety course as soon as the weather warms up. Until then, I'll be practicing around my house. I've also updated my location as suggested.

I have a question for you guys. This being my first bike, I'm not quite sure what to expect as normal/abnormal. Something that has concerned me is that when I start my bike for the first time in the morning (usually around 30 degrees), it fires right up with the choke on. It idles fine and I'm able to turn the choke off within a few minutes to let it idle on it's own but, it takes 15 minutes or more before it will take light throttle without breaking up/bogging. Is this something to be concerned about or considered normal?
Sounds like a jet is a little clogged or something.

Sea Foam for a few tanks, then determine if it's still a problem.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #74781
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,268
I appreciate the offer to ride yours. Had I ridden one prior to looking at the one for sale, I may have felt better about buying it. I called the guy today and told him I'd give him $2600 (the price I walked away from yesterday). He had someone coming to look today and ended up selling it to him. Assuming the miles were accurate and there was nothing wrong with the front end, I'd have to say I missed a great deal. Let me know when you want to go riding. I'm in Enfield and my mighty KLR250 needs only a brake bleed to be ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Rich: I predict that you will have a DR650 real soon.

maybe we can set something up so you can try mine.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #74782
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

Normal. But after a minute on choke ... you can just ride off. Leave the choke on for another minute or so ... riding will achieve warm up ten times faster than sitting at idle. Don't over rev it or Lug it for the first five minutes ... after that ... anything goes.

Be sure to practice what you learn in the riding course ... especially things like identify and avoidance. Try to learn how NOT to target fixate ... many Noob riders go off the road or hit someone in their path because of that. Most times you can STEER around obstacles. But you have to stay cool and NOT fixate on the car in your path. Look for a safe out.
Practice tight figure 8's, holding throttle on steady, using rear brake to control speed. Go ahead, lean that sucker OVER! Learn to counter steer. Understand what that is. Remember .... YOU WILL GO WHERE YOU LOOK. Don't fixate. Doing tight figure 8's ... turn your head left and look way left. You will go there.

Also learn to safety check your bike. Tire pressures are important. Check 'em once a week at least. Know you tank range ... and know how to switch to reserve instantly without looking, must be done by feel. This could save your life.

Do braking practice. Learn to use BOTH brakes and learn how NOT to lock the rear brake and how to really hammer the front brake when you need to.

It's a jungle out there ... ride accordingly. Be safe, have fun!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #74783
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:

30* F? Brrrr...getting cold.

Normal, as Grifter said. It will buck and snort for a little while at small throttle openings when cold, but it should run tolerably well at just a bit higher speeds. Keep it at the lowest throttle where it still feels smooth and let it gradually warm up for 10 minutes as you ride.

Try to avoid jumping right onto the freeway with cold motor.

..........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #74784
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Does anyone know a source or part number for the drilled rear brake master cylinder guard I've seen on some DR650's? I had one on a KLR650 that was off of a Ninja.

Thanks,

Jeff

'09 DR650SE
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #74785
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Ok so I know it has to have been covered in here somewhere but I guess I'm technically challenged today or something. I'm wondering two things for my 00' dr650:
One: How do I bypass the clutch safety switch thing, and the kickstand one?
Two: Can anyone recommend a headlight and surround that looks and works better than stock? I looked and the trail tech torch but it doesn't list a DR as compatible?
Thanks!!
KJD19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #74786
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspratley View Post

I am also thinking about adding a single 40degree Vision X. please let us know how you like it in the deep dark.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #74787
MATT0404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Sounds like a jet is a little clogged or something.

Sea Foam for a few tanks, then determine if it's still a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Normal. But after a minute on choke ... you can just ride off. Leave the choke on for another minute or so ... riding will achieve warm up ten times faster than sitting at idle. Don't over rev it or Lug it for the first five minutes ... after that ... anything goes.

Be sure to practice what you learn in the riding course ... especially things like identify and avoidance. Try to learn how NOT to target fixate ... many Noob riders go off the road or hit someone in their path because of that. Most times you can STEER around obstacles. But you have to stay cool and NOT fixate on the car in your path. Look for a safe out.
Practice tight figure 8's, holding throttle on steady, using rear brake to control speed. Go ahead, lean that sucker OVER! Learn to counter steer. Understand what that is. Remember .... YOU WILL GO WHERE YOU LOOK. Don't fixate. Doing tight figure 8's ... turn your head left and look way left. You will go there.

Also learn to safety check your bike. Tire pressures are important. Check 'em once a week at least. Know you tank range ... and know how to switch to reserve instantly without looking, must be done by feel. This could save your life.

Do braking practice. Learn to use BOTH brakes and learn how NOT to lock the rear brake and how to really hammer the front brake when you need to.

It's a jungle out there ... ride accordingly. Be safe, have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
30* F? Brrrr...getting cold.

Normal, as Grifter said. It will buck and snort for a little while at small throttle openings when cold, but it should run tolerably well at just a bit higher speeds. Keep it at the lowest throttle where it still feels smooth and let it gradually warm up for 10 minutes as you ride.

Try to avoid jumping right onto the freeway with cold motor.

..........shu
Thanks for all the info and tips, guys! Much appreciated. I'll see how she does tomorrow morning.
MATT0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #74788
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
Does anyone know a source or part number for the drilled rear brake master cylinder guard I've seen on some DR650's? '09 DR650SE
http://www.procycle.us/images/bikepa...cylguard-1.jpg

Procycle

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #74789
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
I have this guard (can't stand the expanded metal look of the one Procycle carries).

http://www.tpimotorcycleparts.com/in...category_id=64
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #74790
WindPipe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Thanks for all the info and tips, guys! Much appreciated. I'll see how she does tomorrow morning.
I recently did the procycle jet kit, and it improved the starting and warmup time considerably. In fact, with the temp in the high 40s, I didn't even have to use the choke this afternoon. Much better at low-rpm cruising too.