Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #7501
alprosound
HappyMan

Oddometer: 498
Talking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykat
just picked up a new 07 (blue) dr650. i traded in my f4i:ouch. knowing i was going to trade in my honda ,for the much slower thumper, i rode it like a bat out of hell on the way to the dealer just to get it out of my system. i think it worked because i had a ball riding the dr home. without a tach -wtf- it's going to be a little tricky breaking it in. its got a whopping 13 miles on it. after the first 5 or 600 miles i'll think about some mods to cool the bike down a little bit. they are lean from the factory. my right leg was getting a little warm on the short 10 mile ride home. all in all i'm very happy with the trade. i knew i was going to take a big power hit but i couldn't care less anymore. i wanted a good reliable easy to work on motorcycle. no more having to take off plastic to do an oil change. and best of all i can slow down and enjoy the scenery. and with the relative mechanical simplicity of these bikes there'll be less mystery to them if something amiss should happen on the side of the road somewhere. i never knew what the hell was going on under all that plastic on the honda and couldn't of cared less. but with the dr im already looking forward to checking the valves at 600 miles. i'm going to order the valve kit from jesse. i could see me falling in love with these thumpers for a long time to come. p.s sorry for the long winded post.
Woo Hoo! Welcome to the adiction!!!!

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

http://ridedualsport.com
alprosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #7502
krazykat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
thanks alpro. tomorrow i'll take off that top roller and order the sm-motech skidplate on twisted-throttle. that top roller looks innocuous enough, but after reading about some of them imploding and taking a small piece of the frame with it:yipes. i'll take it off for peace of mind. how long do you usually warm your dr up in the morning? full choke or no? i'm coming from a long string of fuel injected bikes, so am out of practice.
krazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #7503
alprosound
HappyMan

Cool2 Choke

Quote:
thanks alpro. tomorrow i'll take off that top roller and order the sm-motech skidplate on twisted-throttle. that top roller looks innocuous enough, but after reading about some of them imploding and taking a small piece of the frame with it:yipes. i'll take it off for peace of mind. how long do you usually warm your dr up in the morning? full choke or no? i'm coming from a long string of fuel injected bikes, so am out of practice.
I dont' let the bike warm up more than a minute usually and full or partial choke varies on the temperature around here. Low forties this morning. This also changed when I re-jetted the bike. I don't use the choke as much anymore.

I've been meaning to replace that roller before I have to also. Just haven't gotten around to it. This bike is fun to personalize with modifications. I usually like to run my bikes fairly stock (I must be a bore) but this bike screams "Make me yours!". From adding tail and tank bags to getting rid of the black monstrosity of a fender/license plate holder and getting the DR200 tail light among many other modifications I can't remember right now. It's been a hoot and I'm sure I'll have more in modifications than I paid for the bike by the time I'm done. I'm not one to buy a bike because it's economical....On the flip side I don't need to take it to a dealer and I can do all my own work. Very simple bike. Stop reading and go ride!!!

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

Old 09-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #7504
buggs
Photog and Advent

Oddometer: 736
Some pics of my mighty DR650 on a recent ride:

Steel horse meets real horse.

Playing in the desert around Cabeson, New Mexico.

More pics of the ride here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buggs/tags/091607/show/

"Ah, your brother blows bubble gum!"
Bugs Bunny
buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #7505
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
I wouldn't buy the SW-Motech skidplate. The holes are likely to catch on something like a tree stump, would be unpleasant! Get the one from Utah Sport Cycles that is also sold by Dual Star, Happy Trails, etc. Its also quite a bit cheaper!
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #7506
krazykat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
holy crap, the light out new mexico way is freakish! incredible clarity. too late! i already ordered the motech plate. i never imagined tree-stumps. i was only thinking of all the extra air my hard-working engine will enjoy...
krazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #7507
alprosound
HappyMan

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs
Some pics of my mighty DR650 on a recent ride:

Steel horse meets real horse.

Playing in the desert around Cabeson, New Mexico.

More pics of the ride here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buggs/tags/091607/show/

Wow!!! Nice pics. It's good to be YOU!

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

Old 09-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #7508
garymonster
Banned

Oddometer: 195
No doubt...

A great thread.

Also, to the happy man, the family of the bride generally pays for the wedding. Don't let her marry more than one.
garymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #7509
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
damn Buggs, those pics are almost surreal ! What kind of camera did those come off ?

You fellers sure have some drop dead awesome places to ride. I am so jealous !
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:34 PM   #7510
alprosound
HappyMan

Eek Shoot me NOW!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymonster
A great thread.

Also, to the happy man, the family of the bride generally pays for the wedding. Don't let her marry more than one.
+1 on that. Just shoot me now! I've been practicing polishing the shotgun and answering the door at the same time. I'm getting pretty smooth at it now..... I'm working on my delivery of the ubiquitous "Son, I'm not afraid to go back to prison.." greeting.

On the bright side, she's a little motorcycle chick with three big brothers and she's pretty darn tough! I feel sorry for whoever she settles down with. My advice on their wedding night would be just to go ahead and give her your spine now, you won't be needing it!

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #7511
garymonster
Banned

No kidding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnormand
damn Buggs, those pics are almost surreal ! What kind of camera did those come off ?

You fellers sure have some drop dead awesome places to ride. I am so jealous !
That horse is just chillin' enjoying the view of the DR650. Notice his ears are relaxing and the tail is wagging. He only wishes he had 644 horses.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #7512
garymonster
Banned

Ha ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alprosound
+1 on that. Just shoot me now! I've been practicing polishing the shotgun and answering the door at the same time. I'm getting pretty smooth at it now..... I'm working on my delivery of the ubiquitous "Son, I'm not afraid to go back to prison.." greeting.

On the bright side, she's a little motorcycle chick with three big brothers and she's pretty darn tough! I feel sorry for whoever she settles down with. My advice on their wedding night would be just to go ahead and give her your spine now, you won't be needing it!
Have you seen "Uncle Buck"? Better keep a hatchet in your trunk!!! Keep the "bugs" away!!!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #7513
garymonster
Banned

Hey happy man...

Show us a pic of the little guy riding with a helmet the size of his body!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #7514
alprosound
HappyMan

Laugh Uncle Buck!

Quote:
Have you seen "Uncle Buck"? Better keep a hatchet in your trunk!!! Keep the "bugs" away!!!
YES! CLASSIC!!!!

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

Old 09-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #7515
alprosound
HappyMan

Helmet as big as his body....No Joke

Quote:
Show us a pic of the little guy riding with a helmet the size of his body!
I've got some great pics of my kids riding but posting a pic....since I don't have a site to download them from I'm not sure I can do it. But you can imagaine it already.....I've tried to attach but usually that's pretty small.
Attached Images

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50