Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2007, 03:37 PM   #7531
macwild
Women? Where!?!

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyVees
What does the DR650-Collective like for a (cheap) throttle lock? The O-ring trick won't work with my bar-ends, so I'm looking along the lines of a Vista Cruise or NEP unit.

Bonus ADV-points if you provide an actual part number...

Anyone?
I use the visita universal cruise. It takes a little fine tuning, but it seems to work well.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:39 PM   #7532
macwild
Women? Where!?!

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwild
I use the visita universal cruise. It takes a little fine tuning, but it seems to work well.
Awww..that was my 100 post.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #7533
bumpathump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
OnlyVees

> ]What does the DR650-Collective like for a (cheap) throttle lock?
> I'm looking along the lines of a Vista Cruise or NEP unit.
> Bonus ADV-points if you provide an actual part number...

I like NEPs. Simple, cheap, effective. I don't leave home without one :-). I used an NEP from a Hawkgt.

I made an aluminum/JBWeld sandwich on the throttle tube housing and drilled and tapped it to secure the base plate of the NEP.

I sanded the ridges off the throttle tube to provide a smooth surface for the NEP. Had I known the handgrip was vulcanized to the throttle grip, I would have simply bought a new one. PITA removing the handgrip.

Works great.

Rick
bumpathump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:04 PM   #7534
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by alprosound
So what does it cost and how difficult is it to get one of those over here from France? How did you go about it? I'm planning on purchasing a KTM Adventure 990 in the spring to replace my Beemer so I want to know that I'm not missing any other bikes I should be considering.
i use to have a 1990 DR-BIG 750cc back in Nice ,i have to ask my brother he live there this lucky bustard ,about how much for a 06 or 07 used + modifications applied to it , the only problem i am expecting to face is here ,the emission laws ,and what to do to make it pass .Dr-big have a tremendos amount of torque ,cause it's 750cc on 1 cyl. ,KTM are great bikes too ,but i heard so much about lack of service and delays of parts when something happen ,u wait forever for parts to show up ( maybe only in this state ), i don't know why dr-big isn't so popular in the U.S. but i am dying to get 1 here ,mine looked just like this one in the pics ,without mods.
Attached Images

DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #7535
alprosound
HappyMan

Oddometer: 498
DR Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY
i use to have a 1990 DR-BIG 750cc back in Nice ,i have to ask my brother he live there this lucky bustard ,about how much for a 06 or 07 used + modifications applied to it , the only problem i am expecting to face is here ,the emission laws ,and what to do to make it pass .Dr-big have a tremendos amount of torque ,cause it's 750cc on 1 cyl. ,KTM are great bikes too ,but i heard so much about lack of service and delays of parts when something happen ,u wait forever for parts to show up ( maybe only in this state ), i don't know why dr-big isn't so popular in the U.S. but i am dying to get 1 here ,mine looked just like this one in the pics ,without mods.
I would bet they would be popular here in the states. However it's Suzuki that needs to take that bet and I'm guessing they won't do it. Too bad. Looks like a nice bike.

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

http://ridedualsport.com
alprosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #7536
garymonster
Banned

Oddometer: 195
Laugh My mistake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
Shouldn't that be 38 horses?
Must have been daydreaming!
garymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:56 PM   #7537
garymonster
Banned

Oddometer: 195
Is there such a thing as overkill?

Looks like a rolling gas can. How much fuel does this monster carry? (the yellow one)

One stray flaming arrow and you're toast.
garymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #7538
RearView
Caveman Philosopher

Oddometer: 532
Another hot unused outlet

Just a little something I found. I had wired my GPS and voltmeter to the hot plug near the headlight and wanted to add in my heated grips but worried about draw. There is another unused plug under the seat near the battery. It is switched power identical to the one near the headlight. Worked perfect for me and haven't had any problems with the grips...although now that I've said it I'll be riding a DR650 shaped fireball tomorrow down the beach. Give it a look if you need more electrical hookups. Always put in an inline fuse.
RearView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:02 AM   #7539
Celt777
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumbs down Land of the Free?

Dude, I want that sick big DR so bad I can taste it. Why is it that all the really cool thumpers go to Europe anyway? I would love a Yamaha XT660 but as usual...unavailable to us here in the States. Kinda blows.
Celt777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #7540
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Why is it that all the really cool thumpers go to Europe anyway?
For the same reason that the U.S. market is flooded with cruiser-class* motorcycles -- it is what the market demands. Suzuki and the rest are in business to turn a profit. Period. If one constituency wants competent touring rigs and enduros and the other group wants chrome-laden tractors, well, that's capitalism. And, putting aside for the moment one's desire for a particular and unobtainable trinket, capitalism still gives us more choices -- by several orders of magnitude -- than any other economic system presently available. So God bless it.

*An apt designation!

TM
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:54 PM   #7541
MaxPower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Like some Local Honest answers

Anyone in Wisconsin that has an older DR650 that does there own work? It would be great to get some opinions that don't belong to a guy in the shop with a parts department.
MaxPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #7542
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
Hey, folks... I put a WTB ad up in the Flea Market, but I'll ask here, too. I need a chain guard for my DR650SE. Mine is currently on it's own adventure ride separately, or is lying in some adventure ditch somewhere.

PM me if you have an extra you'd like to part with . TIA
Old 09-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #7543
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man
For the same reason that the U.S. market is flooded with cruiser-class* motorcycles -- it is what the market demands. Suzuki and the rest are in business to turn a profit. Period. If one constituency wants competent touring rigs and enduros and the other group wants chrome-laden tractors, well, that's capitalism. And, putting aside for the moment one's desire for a particular and unobtainable trinket, capitalism still gives us more choices -- by several orders of magnitude -- than any other economic system presently available. So God bless it.

*An apt designation!

TM
i agree wit u TALL MAN it's absolutly market demands , in the U.S. they rush for street bikes or CHROME LADEN TRACTORS ,( lol ) however , those kinds of bikes require big advertisements , & specl. marketing system to make it closer to the cosummers demands , i bet u every Dr650 riders would want to grap a DR-BIG in a heart beat ( once u test drive one ),they even have clubs & threads for BIG'S all over europe ,but this bike is popular all over the world except in U.S. ,check that pic. 4 DR-BIG club in Germany ...i love to do that here in the U.S. someday soon !!!
Attached Images

DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #7544
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,627
Question Any of you Derelicts have this??

inmates
anyone bought these pannier racks? they look well-done to me and the guy has 100% positive ratings.... they also look a bit heavy
Feedback?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170152636777

Zapp22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 PM   #7545
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ...
Hey, folks... I put a WTB ad up in the Flea Market, but I'll ask here, too. I need a chain guard for my DR650SE. Mine is currently on it's own adventure ride separately, or is lying in some adventure ditch somewhere.

PM me if you have an extra you'd like to part with . TIA
Keintech has a beauty for about $70 that's much better than a stock one.

http://www.kientech.com/DR650AdjustableChainGuide.htm
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote