Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #7561
alprosound
HappyMan

Oddometer: 498
Cool2 Dr. Frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY
well , my man ,if u r a Doctor & u have a big one then u deserve to be called DR-BIG ,TOP it off with the real 800S & ur the man ...how about this red one ??

Sweeeeeet!! I need one of them Big red ones!!! Call me Dr Frustrated since I can't get one here.....

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

http://ridedualsport.com
alprosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #7562
krazykat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
whats the real life gear to speed ratio on the dr650? i have the new 07 and suzukis recommended up and down shifting seem way too low. this is my first 'thumper' so i'm not sure if i'm lugging the engine or thats the way single cylinders feel. thanks.
krazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:18 PM   #7563
alprosound
HappyMan

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykat
whats the real life gear to speed ratio on the dr650? i have the new 07 and suzukis recommended up and down shifting seem way too low. this is my first 'thumper' so i'm not sure if i'm lugging the engine or thats the way single cylinders feel. thanks.
I have no idea what it really is but it's definitely not what the book says. Just shift when it feels right. The bike will lose power when approaching max rev. You'll get to know the bike soon enough. Enjoy the bike!

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

Old 09-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #7564
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ...
Not a chain guide, a chain guard. What Suzuki calls a "chain case". Part number 19 in this diagram...

http://demo.motorsportdealers.com/mo...3157624PSX&z=2
Sorry, I tossed that part in a box. I tossed the sprocket cover too. That stuff just collects mud. I saw guard and immediately thought guide cuz I don't use that stuff. I better read a little closer from now on.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #7565
garymonster
Banned

Oddometer: 195
I bought these and the tail rack too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
inmates
anyone bought these pannier racks? they look well-done to me and the guy has 100% positive ratings.... they also look a bit heavy
Feedback?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170152636777

The tail rack is the perfect size for me but you should probably keep the stock tail light which will stick out behind the rack. Both items are made very well and the fit is excellent. They are not as heavy as they look. Not heavy at all, really. I'm not going to be using mine (the pannier racks) so if you want them they're yours for 75% of the ebay price + shipping. Never been mounted. Hardware included. So, $63.75 + shipping.

garymonster screwed with this post 09-28-2007 at 09:59 PM
garymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:09 PM   #7566
garymonster
Banned

Hey folks, a question...

I can understand the need for more range, but what's it like riding with all that extra fuel weight up high???
Old 09-28-2007, 10:25 PM   #7567
alprosound
HappyMan

Question Add to that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymonster
I can understand the need for more range, but what's it like riding with all that extra fuel weight up high???
Add to that question:

Will my Wolfman Tank Bag fit it?
What range are you getting?
Do I have to purchase a petcock for it or does it come with one?
Do I have to replace my stock seat? (Not that I'm looking for an excuse to get rid of it...)

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

Old 09-28-2007, 10:39 PM   #7568
garymonster
Banned

What's the longest trip you've taken?

Adventure riders get out there and just go. Camp, go. Camp, go if I understand correctly. Do you bring lots of money or do it on the cheap. I guess what I'm driving at here is do you occasionally take showers or just come back smelling like a French whore? (no offense, Eddy, really)

Curious.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:56 PM   #7569
Mojave Jack
Time - two edged sword

Oddometer: 62
attempt at a response...

Hi there, I love my yellow IMS tank:

1. increased range necessary for boondocks in CA desert...I have gone about 242 miles on a long Joshua Tree day, including sand work in Dale Mining district, some highway cruising with hwypegs (such a great addition as I am 6'3"),...I had more in the tank but, I don't want to carry the traditional metal cannisters for white fuel used by backpackers anymore, as I fall occasionally...which has yet to affect the IMS tank...
2. At first, the tank wasn't holding nearly 4.9 gallons, somehow holds more now after heat and gasoline mass have stretched the tank?
3. Coming down Lippencott road in Death Valley (severe rocks, steep grade, oh sh#t speeds), the bigger tank was great for holding bike with knees so upper body could use to actually steer and relax
4.it comes with IMS petcock, but was tricky and leaking at first, then sanded the contact point and is fine now, do not over tigthen
5. cons - the yellow IMS tank is slippery surface for gripping with lower body, and when full the bike feels pretty top heavy, but the power and more time in the saddle really made a difference from that day two and beyond re-learning of skills etc...If I had to, I would utilize the cheap pep boys gas tank panniers that surround the gas filler cap but go under the actual gas cap and then attach at the bottom of the bags with velcro (yes, it stuck to the plastic after alcohol treatment to it)...this is where I used to carry cannisters with stock tank, but now carry gatoraides and red bulls etc (no vodka of course)...I do have a great used Corbin for this specific tank, which has made one helluva difference in comfort and long range!!! I cannot emphasize enough how the stock brick hurt, even with dirt work standing and such...it was bad enough that I actually wanted to stop riding as I was not having fun, especially on the highway jaunts...now the corbin is so comfortable, 2-3 inches taller for me, wider, I can go way beyond 242 miles forgetting about my larger than average, 260lb frame ass...I too would love a little more power, but need mpg...all I am missing for long range and camping is some decent pannier racks...my homemades made my bag hit the tire on the left occasionally and will eventually ruin something I don't want ruined...thanks for letting me rant on in this thread...I used to use my stock seat with the IMS tank with no problems, it is only the corbin that needs to know whether you have the IMS or stock tank...oh, and I did have to plug two rubber hoses from the carb with golf tees and wire wrap to seal them, but this suzuki engine is just so great...I did switch to Rotella full synthetic at 400 miles (early I know) after reading an article about "all you wanted to know about motor oil" somewhere on the web...I have had no problems with slippage or anyother problems with this set up, even in CA summer deserts! Once i have the pannier racks for ultralight camping, I'll see you guys off the mojave road...
Old 09-29-2007, 01:01 AM   #7570
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Adventure riders get out there and just go. Camp, go. Camp, go if I understand correctly. Do you bring lots of money or do it on the cheap. I guess what I'm driving at here is do you occasionally take showers or just come back smelling like a French whore? (no offense, Eddy, really)

Curious.
I've never smelled a French whore but if they smell anything like me after a a trip then I cannot imagine how they make any money. Sure, a shower in a caravan park is a nice luxury after a long day's ride but given the choice of a shower and steath camping with a fire but coming home stinking, I'll take the latter everyday.

Besides, I don't smell myself after the second day and the long hot shower you have when you come home could pocssibly be one of the most glorious things one can experience.

rossco

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:01 AM   #7571
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,963
Do these side racks fit below the Ebay BBQ rack?

Quote:
The tail rack is the perfect size for me but you should probably keep the stock tail light which will stick out behind the rack. Both items are made very well and the fit is excellent. They are not as heavy as they look. Not heavy at all, really. I'm not going to be using mine (the pannier racks) so if you want them they're yours for 75% of the ebay price + shipping. Never been mounted. Hardware included. So, $63.75 + shipping.
Attached Images

Plug and Plug.
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #7572
DirtHopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion
Looking at the picture, i say yes they do
Old 09-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #7573
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,838
Quote:

Curious.
Gary , u r soooo cool French whore does smell horrible ,or i guess any kind of whore
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #7574
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykat
they want u to shift this way to keep the engin out of stress ,& low revs on the crankcase .after a while when ur engin well broking in ,put the the right oil ( like synthetic 10w 40 ) and do ur valves adjustement every 6000 miles ,u should be fine to revs it after .

DR650SEDDY screwed with this post 09-29-2007 at 11:12 AM
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 01:00 PM   #7575
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,963
Side racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtHopper
Looking at the picture, i say yes they do
Looking at the pictures - if I need to take off the plastic panels do I have to remove the side racks?

Plug and Plug.
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote