Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #75841
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
You don't owe an apology; the thread title is "The DR650 Thread". Many of us have enjoyed the photos of your DR based tracker. You have a real DR and participate regularly, I enjoyed the diversion. Congrats on the trophy.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #75842
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Keeping that bike clean would be an adventure lol
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #75843
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
You don't owe an apology; the thread title is "The DR650 Thread". Many of us have enjoyed the photos of your DR based tracker. You have a real DR and participate regularly, I enjoyed the diversion. Congrats on the trophy.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #75844
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,124
Anyone know what model Yuasa battery fits the DR 650? I have a problem. I am in the Philippines, my DR 650 is in Seattle. Not too long ago I had my son get a Shorai battery and charger. Well, it seems the battery will not hold a charge. To the point that after being on the charger for over 24 hours, it started the bike, but, when he turned it off to adjust the carb, it was unable to start it again. I want him to get a Yuasa battery, but don't know that model to order.

I had my son rebuild the carb as the bike is about to go into a container and head for the Philippines. It must be able to start and run when it hits Customs here.

Any help on the model information on a Yuasa sealed lead-acid battery for the DR-650 would be great.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #75845
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP? View Post
Anyone know what model Yuasa battery fits the DR 650? I have a problem. I am in the Philippines, my DR 650 is in Seattle. Not too long ago I had my son get a Shorai battery and charger. Well, it seems the battery will not hold a charge. To the point that after being on the charger for over 24 hours, it started the bike, but, when he turned it off to adjust the carb, it was unable to start it again. I want him to get a Yuasa battery, but don't know that model to order.

I had my son rebuild the carb as the bike is about to go into a container and head for the Philippines. It must be able to start and run when it hits Customs here.

Any help on the model information on a Yuasa sealed lead-acid battery for the DR-650 would be great.
Hi YnotJP -

I think he should put a stock battery in, too. Mine have been absolutely trouble free- of course, I look at batteries the same way I do bearings: I change them at home in my garage when they still work fine, instead of having breakdowns and failures out on the road/trail.

I believe the stock battery is the Yuasa YTX9-BS.

............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #75846
shu

Oddometer: 979
ADV bike?

ADV is just a recently invented category (sales hype?) anyway.

If you crossed Utah and Nevada on a scooter, I'd call that an adventure.

If you crossed Utah and Nevada on a Honda 750 in 1970, before there were interstates and when Hwy 50 really was the loneliest road in America, I'd call that an adventure too.

But really, who cares what I think is an adventure?

I'm with ER70S-2: The bike is a DR and a good looking, unusual example as well.

Nicely done, JagLite. That bike deserves a trophy.

...........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #75847
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
Yes, I agree with you.
Although when I read the articles testing the Adventure bikes currently offered they state that many of them are "adventure" in style only and are really street bikes.
Sort of like the late 60's and our Street Scramblers, eh?

I have a Wee Strom ABS also and while many view it as an adventure bike, I think it is just a style bike.
And I HATE the lack of an ABS on/off switch!
Of course it is really an adventure riding it down a loose stone slope!
I'm removing the ABS on mine I am thinking.
Great road bike though.

I do agree that my Tracker is NOT what anyone would think of as adventure bike.

On the other hand (left) there are cafe racers on the ADVrider forums and I doubt anyone would classify them as adv bikes. Scooter threads too.

I thought that posting my bike on the DR thread would be of interest to DR riders whether they view themselves as "adv" riders or "supermoto" riders or commuters.
We appreciate the variety of roles the DR can fill quite well.

I am very happy with how the project turned out and I won't call it an adventure bike.
It IS a street tracker. And yes, I have posted the pictures on the Street Tracker picture thread also.
I feel bad now. I wasn't responding to your bike being and adventure bike but Travelguy's redifining of words. If my flat tracker won the adventure bike trophy I would be as proud as you for the work done. again nice job...
Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #75848
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,124
Thanks SHU you are the man. As I have said before, it was your Ride Report that first drew me to the DR 650. The one thing that came thru in your report was how common sense the DR 650 is.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #75849
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,044
Yeah JagLite I'm totally digging your flat tracker. I enjoy seeing any DR in various states of customization in this thread; whether or not it fits an ADV definition is not the case to me, I like seeing what the platform can become. Any of those have a thousand small mods that knowledge can be gleaned from by we who may not have tackled that particular area yet.

But please, nobody post that one funky chopper DR again from the first days of this thread!

Now I can't get the thought of winding out a DR flat tracker on some hardpack out of my mind.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #75850
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Hi YnotJP -

I think he should put a stock battery in, too. Mine have been absolutely trouble free- of course, I look at batteries the same way I do bearings: I change them at home in my garage when they still work fine, instead of having breakdowns and failures out on the road/trail.
Where's the adventure in that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
I believe the stock battery is the Yuasa YTX9-BS.

............shu
Oops, 205'd

Shu's right, I found this in my notes: "Stock DR battery 6.646 pounds (YTX9-BS)"

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #75851
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,499
Headlight Recommendations

I would like significantly more light. I've considered aux lighting, but it seems a significant improvement in the headlight is probably the best bang for the buck. Am I wrong? There are a few lights out there and sure as sh8t I can't remember the brands I had considered, Trailtech was one, I think Baja Designs the other.

What say the collective wisdom, aux lighting or put that same money into a dedicated headlight with significantly more output?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #75852
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
My DR lives again! After spending a year and a half down for the count with the keyway shattered out of the crankshaft, I was finally able to resurrect it. Thanks for all of your advice. This forum has been instrumental in getting me through a couple spots where I didn't know what to do.

Now I just need to get some fresh gas, do an oil change, and find the bolt that attaches the rear brake lever mechanism to the master cylinder because I lost that yesterday. It is nice to have the bike functional again though and its nice to see that I didn't mess up the rebuild.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
frecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #75853
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
The 8.1 is firm. I shouldn't have said stiff. As a street bike, it'd probably be considered stiff if I had to ride the bike solely on road.

I like the 8.1. I'm at probably 225 lbs with boots, jacket, helmet. The 8.1 is firm on road and rides like a dirt bike off road. Typically I add a gallon of fuel in a container and if I include luggage it'd be another 25+ lbs. At that point I think anything less than ~7.6 spring would be too light for where I ride, the 8.1 is perfect.

BTW, I also have .70 front springs.

The bike feels firmly planted on road and off, the rebound and compression works really well with this set up.
I weigh about 180 soaking wet and a 0.47 front and 7.6 rear are almost perfect.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:16 AM   #75854
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
But please, nobody post that one funky chopper DR again from the first days of this thread!
How about this instead?

Showed up for sale in a Kijiji ad today.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #75855
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
How about this instead?

Showed up for sale in a Kijiji ad today.
That's is tasty as is the flat tracker, nice job! The DR is good for a lot of things but the chopper thing , I did see a bobber and what bothered me was the hardtail
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote