Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #75841
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,121
Yeah JagLite I'm totally digging your flat tracker. I enjoy seeing any DR in various states of customization in this thread; whether or not it fits an ADV definition is not the case to me, I like seeing what the platform can become. Any of those have a thousand small mods that knowledge can be gleaned from by we who may not have tackled that particular area yet.

But please, nobody post that one funky chopper DR again from the first days of this thread!

Now I can't get the thought of winding out a DR flat tracker on some hardpack out of my mind.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #75842
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Hi YnotJP -

I think he should put a stock battery in, too. Mine have been absolutely trouble free- of course, I look at batteries the same way I do bearings: I change them at home in my garage when they still work fine, instead of having breakdowns and failures out on the road/trail.
Where's the adventure in that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
I believe the stock battery is the Yuasa YTX9-BS.

............shu
Oops, 205'd

Shu's right, I found this in my notes: "Stock DR battery 6.646 pounds (YTX9-BS)"

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #75843
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,623
Headlight Recommendations

I would like significantly more light. I've considered aux lighting, but it seems a significant improvement in the headlight is probably the best bang for the buck. Am I wrong? There are a few lights out there and sure as sh8t I can't remember the brands I had considered, Trailtech was one, I think Baja Designs the other.

What say the collective wisdom, aux lighting or put that same money into a dedicated headlight with significantly more output?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #75844
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
My DR lives again! After spending a year and a half down for the count with the keyway shattered out of the crankshaft, I was finally able to resurrect it. Thanks for all of your advice. This forum has been instrumental in getting me through a couple spots where I didn't know what to do.

Now I just need to get some fresh gas, do an oil change, and find the bolt that attaches the rear brake lever mechanism to the master cylinder because I lost that yesterday. It is nice to have the bike functional again though and its nice to see that I didn't mess up the rebuild.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
frecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #75845
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
The 8.1 is firm. I shouldn't have said stiff. As a street bike, it'd probably be considered stiff if I had to ride the bike solely on road.

I like the 8.1. I'm at probably 225 lbs with boots, jacket, helmet. The 8.1 is firm on road and rides like a dirt bike off road. Typically I add a gallon of fuel in a container and if I include luggage it'd be another 25+ lbs. At that point I think anything less than ~7.6 spring would be too light for where I ride, the 8.1 is perfect.

BTW, I also have .70 front springs.

The bike feels firmly planted on road and off, the rebound and compression works really well with this set up.
I weigh about 180 soaking wet and a 0.47 front and 7.6 rear are almost perfect.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:16 AM   #75846
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
But please, nobody post that one funky chopper DR again from the first days of this thread!
How about this instead?

Showed up for sale in a Kijiji ad today.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #75847
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
How about this instead?

Showed up for sale in a Kijiji ad today.
That's is tasty as is the flat tracker, nice job! The DR is good for a lot of things but the chopper thing , I did see a bobber and what bothered me was the hardtail
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #75848
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
That's is tasty as is the flat tracker, nice job! The DR is good for a lot of things but the chopper thing , I did see a bobber and what bothered me was the hardtail
It's not mine. I just saw an ad for it this morning.

It looks a little cheap to me, and the purple frame sticks out like a sore thumb. But to each his own.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #75849
Moore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Yeah looks cheap and cheesey to me too. But as long as the owner likes it that's all that matters, might not be the easiest to sell though.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #75850
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Oddometer: 224
I can get side covers aplenty and pretty cheap for my DR 350 and DRZ 400 but can find only expensive side covers for my DR 650.
Anyone have a connection for side covers moderately priced?
I'm thinking of buying some aluminum sheeting and tinsnipping some out before I pay over$100.
inroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #75851
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore View Post
Yeah looks cheap and cheesey to me too. But as long as the owner likes it that's all that matters, might not be the easiest to sell though.
No kidding. $3500 for a 1998 with 33,000 kms on it. Bling sure is expensive.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #75852
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by inroads View Post
I can get side covers aplenty and pretty cheap for my DR 350 and DRZ 400 but can find only expensive side covers for my DR 650.
Anyone have a connection for side covers moderately priced?
I'm thinking of buying some aluminum sheeting and tinsnipping some out before I pay over$100.
EBAY is all I can think of,cripes they're just plastic panels,I agree Suzuki wants too much.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #75853
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
+1 Always amazes me when people talk about how undersprung the DR is. Underdamped, yes. But you'd have to be a BIG boy to compress some of these high rate springs people say they need. As a motard I agree you want stiff suspension, as a dual sport bike not so much.
Im 185 lbs and could bottom the stock forks just using the ft brake hard.
No way to set the rear sag with stock spring at 1/3 the travel as the spring was way too soft and could not be pre-loaded enough to set sag.

That is the definition of springs that are too soft. A bike with proper spring wt rides smoother as you ride most of the time then in the softer part of the valving at the first 1/2 of travel or so.

The stock shock valving has next to no rebound damping and that goes away from over working the shock and heat.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #75854
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
For reference, I weigh 210 in riding gear + a 17 pound tailbag. Even on easy pavement rides, I bottom the 6.5 on my Cogent shock. A 7.x is in my plans.

Welcome. The easy way to get onboard is just go back 100 pages and start reading. We cover the same subjects over and over, like being lost in The Twilight Zone.
Hah! That's funny and so true.
Will it be time to cover IMS tanks and the carb vacume line again soon?
Then the upper chain roller scenario one more time.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #75855
crazy88
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Brake Issues

Hello all, I be a resident noob looking for mechanical advice.

So I've been putting this off, I know I need new back brakes, so I've just sort of been relying on the front ones solely for a couple months now. Now the front disc (over which I believe the brakes actually apply pressure to to stop) has started rubbing against the brakes (I believe) when not actually braking.

I don't really feel any difference in the riding or coasting, but it makes an annoying light screech sound so I thought: hey, why not just put some chain lube up in that bitch? Turns out that was stupid, the noise went away but now the brakes are weaker for it, and the front disc is still real hot to the touch after a couple minutes riding. Am I doomed to replace my brakes at this juncture (about 10k miles), or can I loosen that front component to widen the gap in the brakes a bit?

Show me the error of my ways, for I am young and inexperienced in the zen of maintenance.
crazy88 is offline   Reply With Quote