Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #76246
rch10007
Dotted Quad Ranger

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The seals on those bearings cause oil from the oil pump to be directed through passages in the transmission shafts. Installing unsealed bearings will allow the oil to just flow through the bearing and drain into the bottom of the case instead of being channeled to the inside of the transmission gears and to the clutch. If somebody put their motor together without the bearing seals they are risking premature transmission and clutch failure.
This is what I was thinking too...

Can you confirm which bearings the seals are installed and which orientation? On second thought, I think all the bearings are different sizes, aren't they? I know the inner output shaft bearing has a seal that faces the right side but I don't remember the other one. Maybe the outer input shaft with the seal facing the outside of the motor? It's been too long that I had my motor apart that I don't recall exactly but hate to give out wrong info.

Thanks again!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #76247
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerman View Post
...only thing that worries me is will just push a different seal out if i fit plate...
It won't push anywhere else. The countershaft seal is the only external seal that has oil pressure behind it.
Go to the last two posts on this page. --> http://drriders.com/topic6662-70.html
There are photos of the oil passages and an explanation of the oil flow to the transmission with a flow diagram for the oil distribution. You'll have to click on the diagram and enlarge it to see.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #76248
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rch10007 View Post
This is what I was thinking too...

Can you confirm which bearings the seals are installed and which orientation? On second thought, I think all the bearings are different sizes, aren't they? I know the inner output shaft bearing has a seal that faces the right side but I don't remember the other one. Maybe the outer input shaft with the seal facing the outside of the motor? It's been too long that I had my motor apart that I don't recall exactly but hate to give out wrong info.

Thanks again!
The bearings are all different sizes. The oil seals face outward - away from the transmission gears.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #76249
rch10007
Dotted Quad Ranger

Quote:
The bearings are all different sizes. The oil seals face outward - away from the transmission gears.
Gotcha. Just 2 bearings use the seals, right?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #76250
spannerman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
It won't push anywhere else. The countershaft seal is the only external seal that has oil pressure behind it.
Go to the last two posts on this page. --> http://drriders.com/topic6662-70.html
There are photos of the oil passages and an explanation of the oil flow to the transmission with a flow diagram for the oil distribution. You'll have to click on the diagram and enlarge it to see.
Thanks for that you clearly understand the dr 650 more than me would you ship the retainer to uk i have paypal account if that makes payment easyier ????

Thanks Will

spannerman screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 08:06 AM
spannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #76251
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf
BTW, this is the cliff jumping DR made famous by my crash video. After scores of hours, I finally got it running this weekend and then this freak incident happened two hours into my first shakedown ride.
Joe,

What was the issue? My wife got a big kick out of chatting with your wife, on FB (all to the detriment of their common friend Steve).

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #76252
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Joe,

What was the issue? My wife got a big kick out of chatting with your wife, on FB (all to the detriment of their common friend Steve).
Apparently, it was a stretched choke cable. Oops I mean fuel enrichment circuit cable.

Friday morning I trucked the bike up to my friend Darrell's place. He was my TAT riding partner and also has a DR650. There I began swapping known good parts from his bike to mine. At one point my bike had his IMS tank, fuel line, carburetor, ignition coil, CDI module, regulator/rectifier, diode and battery. Nothing made a difference, so I swapped it all back. At one point I mentioned the only thing we didn't swap related to the fuel system was the choke cable, but we dismissed it because the choke seemed to work fine. It would make the bike easier to start when cold and the RPMs would noticeably drop when choke was closed as bike warmed up. And although we noticed adjustment nuts on the cable sheath, there was no mention of cable adjustment in the service manual.

I was ready to load the bike back into the van and head home, but had to wait until some contractors finished up and moved their truck. While waiting I killed some time adjusting Darrell's air/fuel mixture screw. Then still twiddling my thumbs, I decided to take a closer look at the choke cable.

First I looked at the adjustment on Darrell's, and adjusted mine the same, which l think shortened the cable sheath. No change in the bike. Then I went in the opposite direct to lengthen the cable sheath. At first it ran a bit worse and I didn't think it was even going to make it back up the hill. Then something happened and the bike took off. No more stumbling or bucking.

My guess is that the cable was stretched when the handle bars were hammered in the crash and the plunger at the end of the cable wasn't fully closing in the carb when I closed the choke. A small part of me isn't convinced that accounts for the problem, but since it was the last thing I adjusted, I'll accept it for now.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #76253
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Gotcha. Just 2 bearings use the seals, right?
3 bearings - both left side transmission bearings and the right side bearing on the countershaft.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #76254
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerman View Post
Thanks for that you clearly understand the dr 650 more than me would you ship the retainer to uk i have paypal account if that makes payment easyier ????

Thanks Will
We ship worldwide. It's easiest to just order right from the ProCycle web site. You can find the DR page here. International shipping on one little part can be a bit painful. It may be more worthwhile if you can find a few more items you need. If you want to pay with PayPal send an email to the sales department through the web site. One of the sales staff will be able to send a PayPal invoice.

procycle screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 10:35 AM
Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #76255
rch10007
Dotted Quad Ranger

Quote:
3 bearings - both left side transmission bearings and the right side bearing on the countershaft.
Thank you Sir!

Unfortunately, I will be storing this info myself as I tried to share it with my neighbor only to be informed that he has the motor in the bike and he doesn't care to take it out. I wished him luck... I hope the trans can get enough oil otherwise.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #76256
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Thank you Sir!

Unfortunately, I will be storing this info myself as I tried to share it with my neighbor only to be informed that he has the motor in the bike and he doesn't care to take it out. I wished him luck... I hope the trans can get enough oil otherwise.
Take pictures with your phone as you work. Eliminates the guess work.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #76257
rch10007
Dotted Quad Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post
Take pictures with your phone as you work. Eliminates the guess work.

I took pictures of my rebuild a few years back and I even looked at them but the problem is that the seals are to the inside, meaning you don't know they are there until you pull the bearings. When I walked down to my neighbors house, he had the seals laying on floor and when I asked what they were for, he said the case bearings. I immediately thought, "Ruh-Roh!" but couldn't tell him definitively if it was really an issue or not. At least now I know if I ever have another motor needing bearings.

What's sad is that someone is going to buy that bike from him one day and never know about the bearings.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #76258
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012

Is this my motor cracking?
luckychucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #76259
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Nope just casting marks.If they where cracks it would be leaking oil all over the place.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #76260
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
DR 650 Case

You mean they have been there all along? I don't remember ever seeing them. It looks like the metal is drying out?
luckychucky is online now   Reply With Quote