Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #76306
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Thanks for the Video Jay. Well done Vid!! (next time? a lavalier mic .. remember, I'm a movie sound man!)

Well done explanations of all your good mods. I loved your emphasis on simplicity. The DR650 certainly has that. But it's also got just plain good engineering and QUALITY parts. The Suzuki SACS system is, in large part, why the "air cooled" motor lasts so well and survives abuse. It's brilliant engineering, elegant and simple.

I had predicted your switch fuse block would fail. You proved me wrong! Well done Jay! Well thought out and well executed wiring mods can survive
60,000 miles of Hell! Hope you can keep your ride report going after India and let us all know what you end up doing.
Thanks, Grifter. Yeah, I knew the sound would be poor but just had to shoot and get it done.

Love the DR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aIcvHbD29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBedouin View Post
That's a great video Jay, glad to see you're doin great & on the move again soon...safe travels to you!
Thanks bud good to be back in the saddle

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #76307
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,822
YnotJP? - You have my contact info so if you want to ride SD when you get here.....or just grab a burger like last time. We'll be in Seattle late June but you'll most likely be gone by then.

If you're heading toward Salt Lake at all, PM me and you'll have my family contact there.

Had to look up Hasher. So maybe a trip to http://www.hashhouseagogo.com/ when you get here. Play on the meaning, but..........

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:07 AM   #76308
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Maybe we should be smearing a little of this on.
or this...

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:53 AM   #76309
RideAlongAtlas1
IS GOOD ! ! !

Oddometer: 146
Bluhduh 650 TALL riders

Experienced people,

What would be better? Lowering the pegs, or buying a taller seat?

My 2 cents worth is: lowering the pegs, with a product like that offered by SW-Mootech which does not lower the bottom-clearance, would be better on a DR650 because it would not increase the riding height, therefore maintaining more control over the bike when riding anywhere. These pegs are about $167 which is about the same price as a High Seat Concepts seat. The SC seat raises the bike 1 inch. The lowered pegs 1.75 inches. The LP are the clear winner in terms of more leg room.

The difficult part is this: Buying the lowered pegs ought to do the job. But if I desire to buy a new seat, due to the 'hardness' of the 650's stock seat, I'll be forking out more money. $167 for the lowered pegs + between $150 - $300 for a new seat.

Ergonomically the lower pegs are best. Financially the higher seat is best. If money weren't a problem, I'd just get both!

What do you reckon?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #76310
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAlongAtlas1 View Post
Experienced people,

My 2 cents worth is: lowering the pegs, with a product like that offered by SW-Mootech which does not lower the bottom-clearance, would be better on a DR650 because it would not increase the riding height, therefore maintaining more control over the bike when riding anywhere. These pegs are about $167 which is about the same price as a High Seat Concepts seat. The SC seat raises the bike 1 inch. The lowered pegs 1.75 inches. The LP are the clear winner in terms of more leg room.

The difficult part is this: Buying the lowered pegs ought to do the job. But if I desire to buy a new seat, due to the 'hardness' of the 650's stock seat, I'll be forking out more money. $167 for the lowered pegs + between $150 - $300 for a new seat.

Ergonomically the lower pegs are best. Financially the higher seat is best. If money weren't a problem, I'd just get both!

What do you reckon?
I'm 5'10" with a normal inseam for such, and don't notice the peg height as an issue yet (6,000 miles on the bike since last year, bought the bike with just over 2,000 miles on it). The seat, on the other hand, was fine for the first 4,000 or 5,000 of the bike's life, but then it seems the cheap seat foam has broken down and it is no longer 'hard' nor supportive. My guess is that you're going to change the seat out one way or another... and that the pegs can wait a few paychecks, but the seat won't if you have enough miles on the stock seat foam.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #76311
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,260
Quote:
Experienced people,

What do you reckon?
I ride mostly offroad in rocky terrain. Lowering the pegs was out of the question for me. I already find myself picking my feet out of the way of things too much as is. The seat is fabulous. I bought a Seat-Concepts 1" tall last Sept for a road trip. I toughed it out on the stock seat for over 5 years. Should've done it way sooner. I really don't notice the added height affecting handling at all. (6'1")
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #76312
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post
Every one keeps saying it's going to snow here in MO on Friday.
Same for here, if it does, it will be the first time in recorded history of snowfall in May here in AR. Global warming my ass!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #76313
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Experienced people,

What do you reckon?

At 6'2'' I've changed the seat and installed 2" bar risers and a different bend handle bar, I'ts been a year with a 600 mile and a 1,000 mile off road trip under my belt without feeling like I need to lower the pegs. On tucked in sport bikes it's been my knees that are first to complain, not so with my DR the way it is set up.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #76314
Croney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Experienced people,

What do you reckon?

I did both, Vince Strang has a peg lowering kit for $44, and I got the seat Concepts tall seat .....works great for me.
Im over 6foot 4

SPOT - http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...lCtPyqSCbXkmID
Croney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #76315
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
luckychucky, yours (2004).......

mine (2008).........

Looks the same to me. I think Mongle is right on it, those marks are from cracks in the mold, not cracks in the engine casting.

.............shu
mine 1996. no cracks at all! pretty much proves that the mold ages and gets tiny cracks over time. sorry it's a bit blurry, but I took a bunch of pics and this is the best one. (darn autofocus)

Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #76316
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,324
Quote:
Experienced people,

What do you reckon?
The stock seat is worthless,regardless of heidth. I used some 25.00 footpeg lowering plates made out of thick steel so as not to bend. Im sure SW's lowering kit is nice but not 167.00 nice. The peg lowering plate moves the pegs back as well as down,much better when standing on the bike and more legroom then my 1200 Triumph has.

Ive also put SC's tall seat on the bike,it seems like more then an inch taller,very thick and plush especially compared to the board like Corbin that was on there.

DR is very comfy and fits long legs easily set up thusly.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #76317
mud390
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
It doesn't need to be obvious, if it is at all possible, some of us will do it wrong.
mud390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #76318
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
I just listed a new BergDonk CSS seal retainer in FM.
wee-twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #76319
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Experienced people,

What do you reckon?
Get the SC seat kit. Cut an inch out of the peg brackets and weld them back together a bit further back, or have an experienced TIG user do it. Mind the rubber mounts. They'll melt if they aren't removed.

You can even use lowering brackets later, if you want even more room.

I also made brackets to lower my passenger pegs 2" or 4", and I can use them when I don't have a passenger. I also use Happy Trails touring pegs on my skid. I can move my feet between 3 different positions on long trips.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #76320
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP? View Post
Yes, that's me. Missed the cattle but, broke the ankle, and the side stand switch, had to walk 17 miles out on the ankle. It was my one gallon water tank that got the ankle. I will still use it, but, try to get the leg out faster.

Yes, I have spent time in Montana and Idaho, both great places. I would love to do Baja, but, as I have gotten older, I hate sand more and more. But, then I read all about how everything is getting paved, so maybe?

I do enjoy riding alone, there are some down sides to it. I would tell anyone not to do it, but who listens to their own advise? I have always met more people and had more fun, riding alone than with others.

I did Death Valley in a Jeep once, and have always wanted to do it on a bike, that that is in the plan.

Thanks for the well wishes, and come September there will be a DR 650 for the next guy to enjoy.

And, yes, I'm a hasher, even wear a red dress once in awhile.
Wow! That was quite an ordeal. Glad to see it hasn't dampened your spirit!
I'm a "Lone Rider" too, but always risks involved. (SPOT?)
Baja
You can do ALL of Baja and never ride sand. Paved roads go to all the little towns. Really easy riding and enough traffic so it's unlikely you would ever be stranded long. Lots of Llanterro shops if you get a flat along the way and gas everywhere. You can camp or Motel it. Pacific coast is cooler.

If you take some of the easy dirt roads in Baja, well, they are more remote but most are easy riding on the DR650. You may run into other riders there, like in Bahia de Los Angeles, Mulege' or Loreto. So much to see! Get a good guide book or read some of the Baja stories here on ADV.

Death Valley
I would not go OFF ROAD in Death Valley alone in Summer. If you can pick up a buddy or two, then OK ... but it's pretty rough in places and will be over 110F.

But you can see ALL of the best sights on paved roads ... if too hot you can bail out to the West and be in the Southern Sierra in a couple hours or less ... temps in the 70's/80's and rivers everywhere.

If you get a chance check out the Black Rock Desert in Nevada. Not too hot in the high desert. Windy and cooler up over 4000 ft. Spectacular country, but very remote.

Sounds like you've explored many of the best riding areas. California coast may be foggy in Summer ... but may be better if we're in heat wave. Central Valley can be well over 100F. Coast temps in the 60's.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote