Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #7666
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,394
I just picked up 2005 DR650 and finished setting it up last night. The only thing I need to do is put my 908 front and 606 rear on which will take place tomorrow after work. Getting ready for the Pine Barrens 500

Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #7667
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchback
The bike is stock with a full Safari tank, only 3 months and 3k miles old.
Did you completely flush out and clean the tank before you installed it? If not, the carb (or the fuel filter in the carb inlet) may well be clogged. Those aftermarket tanks often come with a lot of crap inside and they need to be cleaned out before use.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:30 PM   #7668
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
Did you completely flush out and clean the tank before you installed it? If not, the carb (or the fuel filter in the carb inlet) may well be clogged. Those aftermarket tanks often come with a lot of crap inside and they need to be cleaned out before use.
Yes I did, I was amazed at the crap in there though. I wouldn't be surprised if a few pieces remained. Any way you look at it the carb will be thouroughly cleaned and I may even flush the tank again.

Shouldn't be a venting problem as it would have restarted earlier than it did.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #7669
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Soooooooooooooooo any body know how these things go back together?
You missed a bit...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #7670
alprosound
HappyMan

Oddometer: 498
Laugh

Quote:
That was worth the price of admission. Thanks! Made my evening as I'm stuck at work.....

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

http://ridedualsport.com
alprosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #7671
v1owner
V1 Owner

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by svwayne
OK, so it is louder but does it really run any better? Are you running the spark arrester off road? Have you got one on those big "H-D" crests sewn on the back of your jacket?

Do us all (or maybe it's just me?) a favor and get one of those quiet inserts installed ASAP before more people get pissed from being awaked by another LOUD motorcycle.
To answer your question, Yes, the bike runs better with the new Two Brothers exaust. This is a racing exaust and is prolly making as much HP that a stock DR can give. The bike was wheeling easily in first and second in the dirt just by using the throttel only. I had a hard time doing that before with the stock exaust pipe. I think the new pipe, K/N air filter with the jet kit has given the bike an extra 3 or 4 HP. It's loud because it is a racing pipe.

Don't worry, I ordered the silencer tip yesterday. I actually ordered two different ones from Two Brothers. I had to purchase these because the bike is to loud for my taste also. All I am trying to do is get the ol DR to have as much power that it can. I do not want to wreck any family picnics while having a ride, that's for sure. Maybe I should have got the Q pipe, dunno, to late now. The new silencer tip says it will bring the pipe noise level down to 93 decibles. I think that this will be a great exaust after the silencer tip is installed. I will let you know and post a picture as well.
v1owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #7672
Just Jim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Petcock question...

Is there an "off" position for the petcock? Neither the manual nor the petcock markings seem to show such a thing, yet there are times I would like to know that fuel flow is blocked.

My new blue '07 has a whopping 15 miles on the odometer, but WOW, what a bike! Thanks for all the good wisdom I've absorbed on this thread.

Cheers... Jim
Just Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #7673
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jim
Is there an "off" position for the petcock? Neither the manual nor the petcock markings seem to show such a thing, yet there are times I would like to know that fuel flow is blocked.

My new blue '07 has a whopping 15 miles on the odometer, but WOW, what a bike! Thanks for all the good wisdom I've absorbed on this thread.

Cheers... Jim
No. The stock petcock has three settings- ON, PRI, and RES. PRI is will flow fuel whether the engine is on or not. Use this when the bike has been sitting for a while, and the fuel level in the carb is low. Bikes start much easier when there is fuel The other two settings will only flow fuel when the engine is running and providing a vacuum signal to the petcock.

The fuel flow is "blocked" by the inlet valve in the carb. The float keeps this valve closed until more gas is needed. As long as it's doing its job, you are fine...
Old 10-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #7674
sjourn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamodu-fishbulb

everyone who does the convertion must take these photos.... the thing is huge!

heres one of mine....

cheers fish
I'm lovin' it!!

thanks for sharing, I was contemplating of getting one, now I'm more convinced. Btw, do you know if the Safari has fuel caps that lock?
sjourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #7675
MaxPower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
hummmm

what is the fuel capacity on a new DR650?? stock
MaxPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #7676
Jimbozini
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B.
Where can I get a power port like I see on some of your bikes to run my GPS?
Here' my simple setup:

1. Take a Battery Tender fused SAE lead and run from battery (had to lengthen the lead I had laying around).

2. Run lead along wire harness @ top frame tube.

3. Add SAE accessory socket found at your neighborhood WallyWorld.

Affix to speedo with a heavy-duty zip tie and some foam support.

Plug in to Battery Tender Lead

4. Add GPS.

$5 off on a Smugmug accout Use this coupon code: LlVtvdPX4gIjg

Jimbozini screwed with this post 10-02-2007 at 06:30 PM
Jimbozini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #7677
DRinda505
I'm right behind you.

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchback
I was riding to work today and while sitting at a light I gave the DR a little bit of gas and it stumbled for a few seconds then stalled. I tried to restart and the bike would not. I started the long roll home periodically trying to start the bike again. Once it momentarily started then died. After 2 miles of pushing the bike started and I rode it home.

I am thinking I have crap in the carb plugging the jets. This happened once before on the freeway but cleared itself quickly after I maneuvered to the shoulder. Any other ideas out there? The bike is stock with a full Safari tank, only 3 months and 3k miles old.
How recent was your tank swap? Junk from tank clogging the main or carb inlet filter?
Just a thought.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #7678
madf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Dr 650 OS

I just could´nt finish reading all 500 plus pages on this thread...
I´m interested in buying a 2002 DR 650 OS. What´s the difference with the S, SE and OS models?
Thanks,
MADF.

madf screwed with this post 10-02-2007 at 08:01 PM
madf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #7679
Gary B.
Older than dirt...

Oddometer: 542
Quote:

Hilarious!!! Ya made my night. And thanks guys for all the power port tips!
"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause ? you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."----- John Wayne

DR stands for "Daily Rider"

'06 Suzuki DR650SE
'06 Kawasaki Concours - 2up Cruiser
'99 Yamaha YZ400
'05 KTM 125SX-SOLD!!!
'90 KTM LC4-the bike's gone, but the memory remains, along with the oil spots on the floor
Gary B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #7680
Dynosport
n00b

Oddometer: 2
DynoJet Tuning

Proud owner of a 2006 DR650 SE but it ran a little lean right out of the show room. Dealer said that most guys install a jet kit and that solves the problem. I got a Dynojet kit, 3138 for a DR650 S and here's the deal: it idles smooth and runs really well on light throttle but when I call for the horsepower it dies and then as I let off the throttle is comes back to life and then surges with a burst of power. Here's my setup: stock pipe and airbox, idle mixture 2.5 turns from set, DJ 150 jet with needle at fourth notch. I checked and double checked all vacuum hoses and I also removed the inline fuel filter. I live in Florida so that's practically sea level. From what I can tell the bike is running rich but I'm no pro at this. Any suggestions?
I am new to the form and I have learned a lot about the bike from all of the postings that I have read.
Thanks!

Dynosport screwed with this post 10-02-2007 at 08:30 PM
Dynosport is offline   Reply With Quote