Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #77026
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Also, I got a rim lock in my last Rocky Mountain ATV/MC order since I have a set of D606's to go on my spare wheelset. But I was just thinking... do the DR wheels have holes for them or will I need to drill one? If I have to drill, where should I put it? Close to the valve stem or opposite from it?

Thanks!

Rob

PS: I posted my white IMS tank in the flea market. :)
I put my rimlock 4 spots over from the valve stem Because that is where every dirtbike I've ever owned puts them I know there's a reason, but not the details. Yes, you must drill the rim yourself. Make sure you got a 2.50 rimlock if you have the stock rim.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #77027
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
The 2009 I recently got had carb mods. Drilled out slide, different jets, needle, cut open airbox. Kientech header/ mid-pipe. GSXR can. Air screw.

All it did was make more noise. Stumbled on take off.

I put the standard jets back in the carb, standard needle back in, covered up the airbox. New slide with one hole. I kept the air screw and exhaust mods. Installed a K&N filter.

Runs like a champ now. Smooth and no stumble on take off. It used to 'hic' after you rolled the throttle on for a tad. You had to rev it at stop lights and let the clutch fly to overcome this.
When I set up my DR in 2009, I went just a little richer than stock and have been happy with it ever since. It pulls smoothly through the rev range. Like someone alluded to, it's not an MX bike. Opening up this and that makes more noise than anything else.
Reminds me of the Harley guys. I'm still trying to get the Street Glide I bought months ago to run right. It sure made enough noise with the Vance and Hines and opened air filter the previous owner put on it. I corked the V & H, but the air box and mapping are wrong, just messed up and did nothing but make noise. Couldn't find a stock muffler and air box via Craig's List, or I would have put that on. Would get better gas mileage too, I'm sure.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me

poppawheelie screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 07:50 AM
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #77028
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
Like someone eluded to, it's not an MX bike.
Is it possible that you meant "alluded"?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #77029
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
So, K&N filters are no good whatsoever?
Should I go back to OEM or use something else? No dirt riding.

Trip to Tierra Del Fuego planned, will try to find the best road surface possible as the Mrs Tucker doesn't 'enjoy' soft surface.
K & N are common and in use world wide on Bikes, Cars and big trucks. I'm sure they have thousands of loyal customers who have had good luck with the product. Some here rave about them ... so obviously not everyone has had problems ... and they certainly flow a lot of air.

I'm happy with Foam filters. If there was something better the Japanese OEM's would be using something different on their Race bikes. NONE are using K & N ... ALL are using oiled foam air filters .. and have been for 40 years. Now why is that?

Some K & N filters are sort of a "One Size Fits All" item. So perhaps in some cases that is allowing dirt ingress? I have no idea why dirt gets into them ... but I've seen it with my own eyes. The other thing is poor owner maintenance. Especially off road, a K & N will require more attention than a good Foam Air Filter. Not a good travel item, IMHO.

The Suzuki DR650 OEM foam air filter is well made, filters perfectly and strong. But it's just a but restrictive to air flow. This is NOT a big deal.

Many here have had good luck with Twin-Air foam filters. UNI Filter make a good Foam filter for the DR650 too. I've been running Twin-Air filters on my DR for nearly 50,000 miles. They filter very well ... NO DIRT gets in Carb if properly oiled and installed.

Take care of your Twin Air filters ... good for 20,000 miles of hard use. Should cover your S. America ride. Handle them with care, DO NOT use Gasoline to clean them. (Diesel is OK but rinse well with soap and water, never squeeze hard or wring out)

Off Road In S. America
I'm sure with practice your wife will become a better off road rider. Deep sand is tough, even for experts. Baby Steps. You guys will encounter rough sections, but most dirt roads are in decent condition. More and more is paved.

You probably should skip the Salar de Uyuni (Salt lake in Bolivia), but most everything else I'm thinking she can handle ... if carrying a light load on a well lowered bike and well set up bike.

When practicing off road remind your wife of the following off road riding techniques:
1. VISION: Look WELL OUT AHEAD, at least 30 yds. ahead. This will have a sort of miracle affect on her control and confidence. Look where you want to go ... and you will go there. Never look down just ahead of front tire. (bad!)

STAND UP: She will need to learn to ride the bike standing ... and do everything from that position. Not hard, just takes seat time. Baby steps.

RELAX ... your grip on the bars, steer with feet and knees on tank. RELAX.

BREATH: Many novice riders tense up off road ... and they stop breathing!
really true! If you tense up and hold your breath
(many do it unconsciously) ... you will tire quickly and get ARM PUMP.

POSITION: scoot back on seat in soft conditions, use a bit more throttle to keep bike going straight.

Practice Practice Practice!!!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #77030
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Is it possible that you meant "alluded"?

Regards,

Derek
I think he meant "Pedant". There's also a debate in the law office I work in whether the period is before or after the quotation marks.

Gosh, isn't this fun?

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #77031
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
I think he meant "Pedant".
I don't follow.

Regards,

Derek
Old 05-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #77032
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
and they certainly flow a lot of air.
I can think of at least two cases where a K&N drop-in filter flows less air than stock.
Quote:
If there was something better the Japanese OEM's would be using something different on their Race bikes. NONE are using K & N ... ALL are using oiled foam air filters .. and have been for 40 years.
That may be true for off-road racing (which is of course what's relevant to this thread), but for road racing it's not.

Regards,

Derek
Old 05-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #77033
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
So, K&N filters are no good whatsoever?

Should I go back to OEM or use something else?

No dirt riding.

Trip to Tierra Del Fuego planned, will try to find the best road surface possible as the Mrs Tucker doesn't 'enjoy' soft surface.
I don't mind K&N's for street riding, in fact I have one for my 690 when I motard it, but I don't want them when it comes to any off road riding.

Another day, another foot injury!

Albie screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 03:12 PM
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #77034
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Smoother then stock? My bone stock DR will climb anything its pointed at as smoothly as an electric motor,refuses to stall and runs the same from 10,000' to sea level. The plug has never shown a lean condition,it gets 50 mpg most all the time. I dont think I'll mess with it.

Its almost like the factory engineers tuned the airbox/exhaust/carb to all work together as a package and get the best happy medium for many uses.

A bike this big and tank like really doesnt need to go faster in the dirt.
My buddys DR that's stock now had a FCR with all the MX Rob tricks and it definitely ran rougher then the stock set up. He only had it on his bike for like a month before he went back. He felt the tiny bit of advantage the FCR gave him didn't offset the annoying rough ride.

At the end of the day, no matter how much go faster aftermarket stuff I pile on my DR it's not gonna come close to touching my 690, so why even bother? I am more then happy with my DR set up the way it as ATM. I am so glad the PO was the one who dumped all the money into the bike and not me!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #77035
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
My buddys DR that's stock now had a FCR with all the MX Rob tricks and it definitely ran rougher then the stock set up. He only had it on his bike for like a month before he went back. He felt the tiny bit of advantage the FCR gave him didn't offset the annoying rough ride.

At the end of the day, no matter how much go faster aftermarket stuff I pile on my DR it's not gonna come close to touching my 690, so why even bother? I am more then happy with my DR set up the way it as ATM. I am so glad the PO was the one who dumped all the money into the bike and not me!
This is an interesting perspective you guys are describing. I've always heard / read the other carbs were so much better than the stock DR650 carb... is there a general agreement that no aftermarket carb runs / delivers as smoothly, and that the hoopla is really all about power delivery instead?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #77036
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
This is an interesting perspective you guys are describing. I've always heard / read the other carbs were so much better than the stock DR650 carb... is there a general agreement that no aftermarket carb runs / delivers as smoothly, and that the hoopla is really all about power delivery instead?
No, what it means is that most riders can't tune the BST properly, let alone anything more complex.

The properly tuned BST does run well on the DR, but there are other options that are even better.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #77037
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
Well, after taking a look more closely at my Vapor, the bike was actually idling more around 1250 today. Upping the idle screw to 1500 or so, and backing the fuel screw back to barely above 1 turn out seems to have lessened the stalling-while-stopping issue.

Checking fuel height with a rubber tube was inconclusive. It could have been 1.5mm or more like 3-4mm. It was just too fiddly and fuzzy of a test for me to be confident in what I was seeing.
I got the carb apart finally, and my float height was low. Using the slowly-rotate-to-parallel technique, the float was not parallel - more like a good 1.5-2mm low. I adjusted the tab to get the float parallel.

O-rings all look good. Nearly zero signs of crud or any mess anywhere in the carb that I could see. I Squirted in some carb cleaner in various orifices. I swapped stock needle for 6F19 at 3rd clip position, and closed her back up with new stainless cap screws all around (had to cut down the 14mm length screws to fit the throttle cable plate).

I should have her on the road tomorrow, and I trust I will now need to use the enrichening circuit knob to start the bike.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #77038
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Steve View Post
No, what it means is that most riders can't tune the BST properly, let alone anything more complex.

The properly tuned BST does run well on the DR, but there are other options that are even better.
Dead on Steve.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #77039
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,364
These are not mine; I have no affiliation with the seller, but he says he won't ship to Canada so some lucky soul down in the US of A should get them: A pair of white side covers in good shape on eBay

What a strange category to list in: Collectibles>Transportation>Motorcycles>Enthusiast Memorabilia>Other
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #77040
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I went from a well tuned bst40 to a tm40. I won't go back. Only thing I don't like is the clacking the slide makes when the carbs warming up. More throttle response, easy to tune, same to better mpg
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote