User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #77161
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,115
Clutch cover gasket...

I'm almost done doing my NSU. I was tempted to put the cover on with the old gasket. It looked fine but I want to do the job correctly and I have a new gasket ready to be installed.

I am wondering if Suzuki recommends a gasket sealant on the cover side. On my Kawasaki, per the advice of the service mgr., I put the cover gasket on dry and it has never leaked.

The DR gasket seems to have been adhered to the cover by chemical means. It was a project to remove the old gasket without compromising the sealing surface.

So...

Dry or with gasket sealant?
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #77162
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I'm almost done doing my NSU. I was tempted to put the cover on with the old gasket. It looked fine but I want to do the job correctly and I have a new gasket ready to be installed.

I am wondering if Suzuki recommends a gasket sealant on the cover side. On my Kawasaki, per the advice of the service mgr., I put the cover gasket on dry and it has never leaked.

The DR gasket seems to have been adhered to the cover by chemical means. It was a project to remove the old gasket without compromising the sealing surface.

So...

A third alternative: I put grease on mine so it won't stick next time I remove the cover. And it's not leaked a drop since then, about two years ago, when I did the NSU on my bike.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #77163
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,606
A light smear of High Temp wheel bearing grease works for me.

If you only do one side, say the engine side, then it'll likely come off cleanly, easily, with the cover next time.

The paper swells a bit with oil, and grease is just oil with a 'carrier', so it will seal OK assembled dry as it soaks some oil in. If there is any minor marks on a surface, the grease will seal that, but not as good as a dedicated sealant.

Any excess grease gets washed into and mixed with your oil, and that's not normally a problem at all.

I generally do this sort of thing prior to an oil change, so any contamination when the engine is open is hopefully flushed out after.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #77164
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,606
And my cover has been off twice, for the NSU job and a replacement clutch, and is still on the original gasket with no weeps or leaks.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #77165
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
And my cover has been off twice, for the NSU job and a replacement clutch, and is still on the original gasket with no weeps or leaks.
I coulda had a v-8

I'm just scratching the surface of experience with this machine. I hope to be able to give advice in the future. For now, I appreciate the help I get here on ADV. Thanks to all!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #77166
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:

So...

Questions raise more questions. How can the old gasket look fine if it was a project to remove it.

My original gasket was fused to the clutch cover. It tried my patience and took hours to remove; even with Permatex Gasket Remover.

A buddy made his living $$$ tinkering with motorcycles, the life many of us would like to succeed at. He greases his KTM () gaskets.

Quote:
I coulda had a v-8.

I'm just scratching the surface of experience with this machine. I hope to be able to give advice in the future. For now, I appreciate the help I get here on ADV. Thanks to all!
That's how it works. Learn, share what ya learn. I started slow and worked my way to here.

Start a word doc. Keep track of the things that puzzle or interest you. When a n00b asks an easy question (to you), answer it. Take pics, everybody loves pics. Nobody loves crappy pics, but they're better than nothing. A camera with good macro capabilities isn't very expensive.

Never argue, be polite. Watch yer spellin', punctuation, and capitalization; it makes you look good (and professional). Even if you're just a normal guy like me. Learn who's who, some know their stuff, others don't. Just because you read something on the net, doesn't make it right. Wait until you see it repeated several times without others calling foul. Keep track of informative links.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 08:42 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #77167
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Questions raise more questions. How can the old gasket look fine if it was a project to remove it.

My original gasket was fused to the clutch cover. It tried my patience and took hours to remove; even with Permatex Gasket Remover.

A buddy made his living $$$ tinkering with motorcycles, the life many of us would like to succeed at. He greases his KTM () gaskets.
Same here. It came off the crankcase cleanly and required more than an hour to take off the cover.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #77168
LeDakaR!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Bike for sale

In San Francisco
Fly and ride friendly
$4000

www.route66moto.com
moto rental/sales and tours, location et vente moto, import-export
LeDakaR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #77169
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Rob, I ordered the Mojave and I am waiting to get my hands on it to install it. I just finished reading the installation manual and the damping adjustment knob is at the bottom of the shock. You can turn it clockwise or counterclockwise to adjust it, according to the manual. How did the installation go? Any hints, comments, etc? I won't have much time to mess with it once it's delivered since I'll be heading to Mexico early June. I guess I'll be making adjustments on the go. Thanks[/QUOTE]

I installed my Mojave and made some initial adjustments on rebound. I've been told you cannot adjust compression, and there is a reply from Rick and Jeff (procycle) regarding this enquiry just recently.

I counted the total amount of clicks I had on rebound from start to finish - 40 clicks in total. i believe I'm 21 or 22 clicks (just over halfway). For me, this soaks up the bumps but doesn't make it too hard either. Definitely a great improvement over stock, as it doesn't bottom out any more. If anything I could go one or two clicks softer!!

And since I have a Safari tank on, filled to the top, the old beasty handles quite well. I also have intiminators in the front. Mojave shock is also very easy to install.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #77170
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
oxford hotgrips - customer service

I just wanted to say how great the customer service Oxford Heater Grips is (no affiliation whatsoever).

The story goes, I had one heater grip that went on one side. Not sure why this happened however, I was prepared to source another one and pay for it. I mentioned it to Oxford international, and admittedly there was a bit of confusion and some email handling between dealers etc, as they didn't realise which country I was from.

Once that was sorted , they offered to send new handgrips out for free, as I mentioned I'd only purchased within the last 12 months. They said there product shouldn't have failed and they were straight on top of it. I never asked once to claim on warranty or anything like that. They just offered it straight up!! Got them today and will fit the new grips on the weekend.

Great service and good to see distributors going out their way to help out with products they sell.

Thanks to the guys at Ficeda Motorcycle Accessories Australia & Oxford Products USA Inc. who helped get me sorted.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #77171
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk

Still reckon that?
Nope!

I was going to ask how long it took to make that Steve. Then, I saw Mambo Dave's post. Who makes those and what do they go for? I'm more curious than anything.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #77172
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbed View Post
So, after 2 years of monkeying with the entire intake/exhaust on my bike I am convinced I have a real problem, maybe with the top end or even electrical.

I am looking for a mechanic to help me go through the top end. I would like to work with you if possible nights and/or weekends. Let me know what you want for rate and/or gifts! I only want someone with 4-stroke dirt bike experience, preferably on DR650s. I'd be open to a real shop if anyone knows someone reputable and reasonable and I would just drop it off and pick it up. Reasonable is the key here....if it's too much I'll just sell it and invest the money I'd spend to fix it on a newer year.

Symptoms/Observations:
  • Bad gas mileage, ranges from 30mpg to 45mpg (bad to almost normal, mostly around 39mpg), this started happening the 2nd year after I bought it used in 2009 with 2k on it (it's a 2002)
  • rarely I'll hear a single ping sound (like you hit a musical triangle with a small hammer) - only happens once in a while...usually when I get on the gas - sticky valve?
  • makes good power
  • only needs tiny amount of choke (probably not a problem, maybe idle jet is too large)
  • some type of vibration and/or runs slightly rough up hills some of the time
What I've done:
  • opened air box
  • TM40 carb (cleaned original carb, replaced original carb with OEM, replaced that with a TM40).
  • new exhaust can
  • new air filter
  • honed exhaust header
  • valve adjustment (many times)
  • new plugs
  • brought to mechanic to clean carb and jet properly - didn't fix mileage issue
Thoughts:
  • sticky exhaust valve
  • improperly jetted and/or carb settings like the float. I'm still scared of pinging noise even if this is issue
  • Other top end issue
  • electrical issue with CDI or pickup coils
But I just want to tear down to the cylinder, inspect valves/valve stem seals/seats, inspect cylinder/rings, safety wire NSU screw, inspect clutch, inspect steering head bearings. Maybe more...replace parts as necessary.

I'd like to start this work as soon as possible...riding season is happening now and I'm losing time :). My primary goal is to make sure the bike is up to snuff for a 6 day labor day ride in New Brunswick. I have a 2nd DR (2000) that I might have someone do once over on it if they have time.

I've been riding/racing and working on bikes for a lot of years...I'm not lugging it or riding it incorrectly. I can work on bikes but just don't have the time right now and would really like a more experienced person to help out.

Thanks!
Im no pro mechanic but it doesnt sound like anything is wrong with your DR's engine,an occasional ping doesnt sound like a sticking valve. The mechanic may have tried to jet it right but that doesnt always mean its jetted right. The color of the spark plug can tell you more,if its lean/white then it will ping especially in hot weather.
Once the airbox is modified along with the exhaust, and the carb is changed,most anything could be going on with the way the bike runs.

If your not 100% sure on the valve adj,having that checked couldnt hurt.

Taking the top end apart might not fix the running issues,if it has a ton of miles on it then refreshing it couldnt hurt.

I run my DR stock cause I dont have time to fool with it either.
No pinging,50mpg most all the time,some get better mileage but I run the spittle they call California gas.

Best of luck!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #77173
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I've been riding/racing and working on bikes for a lot of years...I'm not lugging it or riding it incorrectly. I can work on bikes but just don't have the time right now and would really like a more experienced person to help out.

Thanks!
Either the previous owner really screwed up something on your bike ... or you've missed something basic in your maintenance. DR650 valves don't stick ... and tend to last well past 50,000 miles. Are you sure you haven't made the very common mistake of setting the valves 360 degrees off the Compression stroke at TDC?

How many miles on this bike? Verified?

I think getting this bike to someone who really knows and understands the DR650 and its little INS and OUTS would be the way to go. It's not a complicated bike but sometimes new owners miss basic stuff when they begin fiddling with air box and Carb and trying to set valves.

If you don't have the time .... Just back away from the DR650. I would pick your mechanic carefully. Many dealership mech's are hacks and may not know much about the DR650. Try to find a local DR owner who can help out ... or go to a mechanic you know and trust.

I doubt there is anything seriously wrong with your bike ... just needs proper set up.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #77174
scottbed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Either the previous owner really screwed up something on your bike ... or you've missed something basic in your maintenance. DR650 valves don't stick ... and tend to last well past 50,000 miles. Are you sure you haven't made the very common mistake of setting the valves 360 degrees off the Compression stroke at TDC?

How many miles on this bike? Verified?

I think getting this bike to someone who really knows and understands the DR650 and its little INS and OUTS would be the way to go. It's not a complicated bike but sometimes new owners miss basic stuff when they begin fiddling with air box and Carb and trying to set valves.

If you don't have the time .... Just back away from the DR650. I would pick your mechanic carefully. Many dealership mech's are hacks and may not know much about the DR650. Try to find a local DR owner who can help out ... or go to a mechanic you know and trust.

I doubt there is anything seriously wrong with your bike ... just needs proper set up.
It ran well for a year. I've torn down in-line fours and rebuilt them so the DR isn't too complicated to me. It has 9900 miles...

I was going to go down one click on the needle and one size on the main jet (one step at a time of course) and see if the fuel mileage got better. It's odd, sometimes it gets pretty good gas mileage...others it's just amazingly bad (like sub 30mpg). So that concerns me slightly. For example, did a 100 mile stint last year on the highway around 70mph mostly on a slight incline and the bike ran poorly, not much power and the gas mileage was horrendous. My thought was since the throttle was almost wide open the entire time it was getting too much gas.

That small ping noise freaks me out though. I had a DR350 roast the cam journals so I guess I'm a little nervous when I hear noises. My 2nd DR runs like a champ and has almost 14k on it.

In the end, I just want someone that knows DRs to give it a once over and help me make a decision on which way to go...is it a problem or not? How do I solve it if it is a problem?

I do not have a local mechanic that I trust since I usually do my own work.

I'm going to post on Craigs tonight and see if that drums anyone up. The Boston thread here hasn't turned up anyone.

Thanks.
scottbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #77175
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
It ran well for a year. I've torn down in-line fours and rebuilt them so the DR isn't too complicated to me. It has 9900 miles...

I was going to go down one click on the needle and one size on the main jet (one step at a time of course) and see if the fuel mileage got better. It's odd, sometimes it gets pretty good gas mileage...others it's just amazingly bad (like sub 30mpg). So that concerns me slightly. For example, did a 100 mile stint last year on the highway around 70mph mostly on a slight incline and the bike ran poorly, not much power and the gas mileage was horrendous. My thought was since the throttle was almost wide open the entire time it was getting too much gas.

Thanks.
The DR has been known to have the fuel enrichment cable () rust internally, never allowing the plunger to seat in its bore.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote