Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #77161
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Made by an inmate KTMatt ... pricey, but you get what you pay for...

I don't own one, but I have had the opportunity to have a good look at one in the flesh.

Better photos are here:

http://www.offroadexplorer.com/Forum...opic.php?t=463
http://s467.photobucket.com/user/KTM...?sort=3&page=1
Very tough and solid plate, and being 4 mm thick, inevitably heavy. The only issue I have had is that the rear frame mounts broke off so had to strap the plate on around the seat. After welding them back on and boxing then in, all good since.

It also protects the pipe, and the thinwall FMF I have needs it. It also functions as something of a fairing for your feet. Way better protection than the B&B fitted previously. There is a hole for the sump plug, and you can change the oil filter too with it all in situ, or loosen the rear bolts and remove the front and it off in 1 min or less.

Recommended and good value, but as Numbers said, not cheap.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #77162
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,617
Australia

The Oztrailyones make some of the best stuff around.

Everything you see from 'down under' is good stuff.

Starts with Staintune at one end and Screens for Bikes at the other.

They are so inventive and self reliant....Australia must have some of the best fabricators, machinists and inventors in the World.

If we were to visit Australia what would be the best landing point to buy/rent a motorcycle and have a BIG tour for as long as it takes?

What would one expect to pay for a good condition DR650 or something similar. Or maybe even a sidecar outfit as an alternative.

I'd like to start a conversation with you blokes about this. Would it be better to go to a big city and buy a little used bike? What would be a good TOUR to get a complete taste of the whole shebang?

PM's or email would be great as this is WAY off topic!
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #77163
TUCKERS
the famous james

Whoops. Just found Australia in Regionals. That should keep me busy for a while.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #77164
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Here's the shot of it ur looking for.

Boy, if I was a guy who was capable of fabricating and was inclined to do so, I see an opportunity here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I basically want a PWD with the Utah/RIcochet/Moose/Procycle side panels welded on. I don't want to pay $300 for that (looking at YOU aussies...)
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #77165
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Very tough and solid plate, and being 4 mm thick, inevitably heavy. The only issue I have had is that the rear frame mounts broke off so had to strap the plate on around the seat. After welding them back on and boxing then in, all good since.

It also protects the pipe, and the thinwall FMF I have needs it. It also functions as something of a fairing for your feet. Way better protection than the B&B fitted previously. There is a hole for the sump plug, and you can change the oil filter too with it all in situ, or loosen the rear bolts and remove the front and it off in 1 min or less.

Recommended and good value, but as Numbers said, not cheap.
Need one of those! (see previous post regarding price)

Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #77166
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Whoops. Just found Australia in Regionals. That should keep me busy for a while.
There are plenty of ride reports there and most or all of your questions have been answered. Ask away in the Oz section anyway and you'll get some answers. There4 is a thread or 2 there now with many of the answers for you now.

And Radioman is here now too:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...89134&page=337
Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #77167
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Posted this in the Aus section and keep forgetting about this thread Thinking others may be able to help too.

Yet another set up question.....

One of the last jobs to be done for the DR is getting power for the following up at the bars.

Heated grips
GPS
LED Spotlights
Cigarette lighter - marine version?

Any advice on the best way to do this? Was thinking of a fused power source from the battery via the ignition switch to some sort of switch block and then running each of them off that? Having never done this sort of thing Im guessing there is a better way to do this.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #77168
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Posted this in the Aus section and keep forgetting about this thread Thinking others may be able to help too.

One of the last jobs to be done for the DR is getting power for the following up at the bars.

Heated grips
GPS
LED Spotlights

Any advice on the best way to do this? Was thinking of a fused power source from the battery via the ignition switch to some sort of switch block and then running each of them off that? Having never done this sort of thing Im guessing there is a better way to do this.
Rather than have a lighter outlet, I have a Battery Tender cable and molded SAE plug on the bars, and a matching molded plug on a multiple lighter outlet and if I need to use it, I stuff everything into the tank bag so it stays dry. This works much better than trying to mount a lighter outlet.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #77169
Load Clear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
AZ, NM or CO Shop

Hey guys, can anyone recommend a mechanic and/or a quality fab shop in or near:
Flagstaff, AZ, Cortez/Durango, CO or Albuquerque, NM?

I am moving back out to the Navajo Rez next week. My only wrench is a hammer and I don't know the top end from an endo so, I am looking for a good shop or two.

Grifter, ER70S, Jayhawk, et al locals - I can pay in beer and whiskey so you won't have to pay taxes on it.
Load Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #77170
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbed View Post
So, after 2 years of monkeying with the entire intake/exhaust on my bike I am convinced I have a real problem, maybe with the top end or even electrical.

I am looking for a mechanic to help me go through the top end. I would like to work with you if possible nights and/or weekends. Let me know what you want for rate and/or gifts! I only want someone with 4-stroke dirt bike experience, preferably on DR650s. I'd be open to a real shop if anyone knows someone reputable and reasonable and I would just drop it off and pick it up. Reasonable is the key here....if it's too much I'll just sell it and invest the money I'd spend to fix it on a newer year.

Symptoms/Observations:
  • Bad gas mileage, ranges from 30mpg to 45mpg (bad to almost normal, mostly around 39mpg), this started happening the 2nd year after I bought it used in 2009 with 2k on it (it's a 2002)
  • rarely I'll hear a single ping sound (like you hit a musical triangle with a small hammer) - only happens once in a while...usually when I get on the gas - sticky valve?
  • makes good power
  • only needs tiny amount of choke (probably not a problem, maybe idle jet is too large)
  • some type of vibration and/or runs slightly rough up hills some of the time
What I've done:
  • opened air box
  • TM40 carb (cleaned original carb, replaced original carb with OEM, replaced that with a TM40).
  • new exhaust can
  • new air filter
  • honed exhaust header
  • valve adjustment (many times)
  • new plugs
  • brought to mechanic to clean carb and jet properly - didn't fix mileage issue
Thoughts:
  • sticky exhaust valve
  • improperly jetted and/or carb settings like the float. I'm still scared of pinging noise even if this is issue
  • Other top end issue
  • electrical issue with CDI or pickup coils
But I just want to tear down to the cylinder, inspect valves/valve stem seals/seats, inspect cylinder/rings, safety wire NSU screw, inspect clutch, inspect steering head bearings. Maybe more...replace parts as necessary.

I'd like to start this work as soon as possible...riding season is happening now and I'm losing time :). My primary goal is to make sure the bike is up to snuff for a 6 day labor day ride in New Brunswick. I have a 2nd DR (2000) that I might have someone do once over on it if they have time.

I've been riding/racing and working on bikes for a lot of years...I'm not lugging it or riding it incorrectly. I can work on bikes but just don't have the time right now and would really like a more experienced person to help out.

Thanks!
I live in Newton, MA and I have a friend who used to be a mechanic. We have a couple of DR350's in my garage that are undergoing some "optimizations". I may be picking up a DR650 this weekend as well.

This may be silly - I am no mechanic. I had a similar problem with a torn petcock diaphargm on my Honda Superhawk. The bike would smell of gas. It would run rich. I would get much worse fuel mileage as well (30mpg). It was a $20 fix rebuilding the petcock which was buried under the tank on the superhawk. Mileage immediately improved from 30mpg to about 40mpg. Does this bike have it's original petcock? You can find a cheap new aftermarket or Yamaha petcock (I think Raptor works) to check. Just a thought
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #77171
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Brand new TM40 carb from Procycle installed middle of last year....mileage did go up on average but still swung all over the place. I got 47mpg sometimes....sometimes I got in mid 30's.

I pine sol soaked the original carb...no change. Replaced with another stock carb...no change. Rebuilt original carb...no change. Replaced with TM40...some change but still very erratic.

No carb change has fixed this...that is why I think it's not the carb.
Unusual. I'd think about a leak down test just for laughs. Any oil use?
This sounds stupid ... but are BOTH plugs working? I left one off once by mistake ... bike runs but slightly 'weak' . Since you've been through so many Carbs ... maybe NOT carb related. I'm stumped. Best of luck sorting things out.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #77172
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Load Clear View Post
Hey guys, can anyone recommend a mechanic and/or a quality fab shop in or near:
Flagstaff, AZ, Cortez/Durango, CO or Albuquerque, NM?

I am moving back out to the Navajo Rez next week. My only wrench is a hammer and I don't know the top end from an endo so, I am looking for a good shop or two.

Grifter, ER70S, Jayhawk, et al locals - I can pay in beer and whiskey so you won't have to pay taxes on it.
I'm in California ... but will help anyway I can. We've got several great DR guys in those states ... hopefully they'll chime in and can help out.
What is wrong with your bike?

(Love the Beer and Whiskey offer ... but you forgot GUNS! ...just kidding ... reminds of when in Antarctica ... the brass would check in with us over HAM radio. Before signing off they'd ask "... hey, anything you guys need down there?" Yea ... Whiskey and Guns! Somehow the big bosses were not amused.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #77173
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Brand new TM40 carb from Procycle installed middle of last year....mileage did go up on average but still swung all over the place. I got 47mpg sometimes....sometimes I got in mid 30's.

I pine sol soaked the original carb...no change. Replaced with another stock carb...no change. Rebuilt original carb...no change. Replaced with TM40...some change but still very erratic.

No carb change has fixed this...that is why I think it's not the carb.
My bike got 54 us mpg first tank after lowering the needle a notch from the 3rd groove. Got about 45 before that. That said, adding sails (wolfmans) and 50 pounds of shit has brought it back down to about 47. My first thought reading the weird behavior was a vacuum leak- like a torn boot from the carb to the head? To cause so much variance though it would have to be big, and that doesn't explain the wide range in gas mileage. Mileage variations scream carb, but you seem to have eliminated that. Maybe some issue allowing the cam timing to change thereby making you use the throttle more, but it would still be more consistent (cam chain jumping a tooth). The ping screams lean or too advanced- maybe a fluke problem with the cdi? Your issues do sound strange indeed..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #77174
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post

Heated grips
GPS
LED Spotlights

something like this is nice if you can afford it and find somewhere to locate it. means you only have one extra wire from the battery to the front of the bike, can use properly rated fuses for each device and can easily choose if you want each thing running off switched or constant voltage.

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #77175
TUCKERS
the famous james

You can get a three fuse block from many auto parts stores for $10. I got mine from O'Reilly. I think Pep-Boys have them too.
Put it under you headlight fairing, one wire to the battery or pick up a live wire in the mix up there.