Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #77341
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Tankbag - I have the Wolfman Small Expedition on both my DRs. It's rain and splash proof without a cover and its narrow enough to not interfere. Anything wider would be in my way when standing I think. Review is here: http://www.sporttouring.us/showthread.php?t=2580
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #77342
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
You can lower the bike 2" for free with the factory lowering system.

Take bottom spacer out from under rear spring, turn it over, done...2" at the rear.

Front remove the fork legs, pull the springs and pre-load spacer. Remove dampers, put spacer under damper, done...2" in the front.

You will need a shorter side stand. I just cut and welded mine.
I have actually done that already... Well on the rear. With my custom seat, it raised it back up.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #77343
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysauce View Post
I use a GL Fandango on my Safari Tank and it's great. Not the biggest map pocket in the world, but not a big deal. Size-wise it's perfect; doesn't get in the way when standing-up, and quick to remove/install with the zipper. Once seam-sealed it's bullet-proof.

Does the fuel cap vent get in the way of the tank bag, as I have one of the short stubby vent hoses. I'm sure I can work my way around it.

thanks for the pic.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #77344
Brutalguyracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
It should be adjusted so that there's a few MM of play at the lever. So that the first few MM are just taking up the slack in the cable. It needs that slack so that when you turn the bars it's not pulling the cable. It sounds like yours is too tight so you'd need to wind the adjuster in. There's one at the lever and another along the cable with a locknut.

Manual says... loosen the locknut by the lever and wind the adjuster fully in. loosen the locknut on the cable and adjust so there is 10-15MM play at the lever end. Tighten all locknuts. Lubricate with motor oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
You can also affect the clutch engagement point by moving the little clutch arm on the clutch side where the cable attaches. There is an "Ideal" position for the arm ... I'm not sure what it is ... but when its "off" it may affect engagement. Once you move the arm to a new spline try adjusting up at the lever. Hope it helps.
thank you guyz for the help
as you can tell i am new to this....
when i get home from work i will check out and try to adjust this
i also just picked up a trail-tech vapor that i will install this weekend hopefully
any other maintenance tips or advise is really appreciated
Brutalguyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #77345
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoM3 View Post
Well fellas...I think it's safe to say you should have a new DR650 grunt joining the ranks in the near future.

After a while of searching, learning and have happily settled on choosing the DR as my first motorcycle.

Welcome. I have been riding a DR for the past 3 months and love it. It is the perfect bike for me.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #77346
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,598
Wicked

Quote:
Well fellas...I think it's safe to say you should have a new DR650 grunt joining the ranks in the near future.

After a while of searching, learning and have happily settled on choosing the DR as my first motorcycle.
Welcome to the club. Always good to have another in the North Texas contingent, neighbor ...
Old 06-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #77347
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 867
Quote:

Welcome Whiskey, definitely nice seeing some local degenerates. I'm always up for a ride in the DFW area, most of my friends have KLR's...so I can't be seen with them
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #77348
WhiskeyTangoM3
I WANT!

Oddometer: 10
Thank you thank you, good to know there are already a few in my area.

I'm gonna make a separate thread for this question, but anyone hear anything or know anything about the 2009's I should know about? I plan on hunting one down.

Also, I'm assuming its probably buried in this thread somewhere, but I want to search for some suspension info, make sure I'm good to go or if I'll need to make some tweaks.

Hopefully it happens sooner than later, but good things to those who wait right?
WhiskeyTangoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #77349
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,637
Quote:
Thank you thank you, good to know there are already a few in my area.

I'm gonna make a separate thread for this question, but anyone hear anything or know anything about the 2009's I should know about? I plan on hunting one down.

Also, I'm assuming its probably buried in this thread somewhere, but I want to search for some suspension info, make sure I'm good to go or if I'll need to make some tweaks.

Hopefully it happens sooner than later, but good things to those who wait right?
off the top of my head on a 2009 the only thing I can think of is the NSU (neutral sending unit) screws. They come loose and can cause havoc. I have a 2009 and haven't checked them yet (they are behind the clutch basket) and just hope the guy who built mine was on his A game.

As for suspension- if you are over about 170 lbs and ride anything other then pavement you are going to want stiffer springs. There are a lot of different setups guys run. If you want the cool guy rear shock with lots of adjustment the Cognet shock seems to be well liked.

Oh- and you can go ahead and start drooling here: http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html
Everything you could want and then some. My name is Mongle and I have a Procycle addiction.

You will see the Procycle guys on here and they are great about answering questions, giving advice and are of course always happy about helping you spend money! They also have some evil sorcerer that somehow ships shit faster then any company I know.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #77350
Bandit33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
We need to have a DR 650 ride in the DFW area soon, like before it gets screaming hot!

Don
12 KTM 990 Adv
Bandit33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #77351
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
off the top of my head on a 2009 the only thing I can think of is the NSU (neutral sending unit) screws. They come loose and can cause havoc. I have a 2009 and haven't checked them yet (they are behind the clutch basket) and just hope the guy who built mine was on his A game.

As for suspension- if you are over about 170 lbs and ride anything other then pavement you are going to want stiffer springs..

they all do that, not just 09'
SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #77352
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit33 View Post
We need to have a DR 650 ride in the DFW area soon, like before it gets screaming hot!

Don
Lets go tomorrow....oh wait, I am heading to Cleveland and live in Phx., so that's not going to work. Come to Phx this weekend and let's go for a ride
Old 06-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #77353
duckslider
decelpoppin

Oddometer: 2,986
Just ordered a Kenda k270 rear for dr.Anyone familiar with this tyre?

Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #77354
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslider View Post
Just ordered a Kenda k270 rear for dr.Anyone familiar with this tyre?
It's a good solid 50/50 tire with decent mileage. Some guys actually claim really good mileage from the rear. My only beef with the Kenda 270 is the little bitty flexible side knobs. On pavement, they make the tire very squirmy when pushed.

The Shinko 244 is very similar, but has much more substantial side knobs and center side knobs, plus all the knobs are "larger and beefier" so overall its a much more sturdier tire on road. Off road, they are about the same. It appears the rear Shinko 244 might not last as long as the Kenda 270, but in the front, mileage is a toss up and the Shinko 244 is much more confidence inspiring on the pavement.

Here's some close up comparison shots.

Shinko 244 on the left. Kenda 270 on the right.

New Shinko 244 on left, Worn Kenda 270 on the right

This is either the 3.6 or 4.1 rear Shinko 244 tire on a Sherpa 250

This is the 5.10 rear 244 on an XT600
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:22 AM   #77355
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
there is also IRC, but they have shot up to stupid expensive prices.
it's the same as 270, where as the 244 has an center extra knob.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

as i understand it, this is the originator design of the concept
https://www.denniskirk.com/rear-trai...prd/643267.sku

as you can see Shinko has a unique center section design.
the 244 is a great rear match to a IRC TR8 front on the DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
It's a good solid 50/50 tire with decent mileage. Some guys actually claim really good mileage from the rear. My only beef with the Kenda 270 is the little bitty flexible side knobs. On pavement, they make the tire very squirmy when pushed.

The Shinko 244 is very similar, but has much more substantial side knobs and center side knobs, plus all the knobs are "larger and beefier" so overall its a much more sturdier tire on road. Off road, they are about the same. It appears the rear Shinko 244 might not last as long as the Kenda 270, but in the front, mileage is a toss up and the Shinko 244 is much more confidence inspiring on the pavement.

Here's some close up comparison shots.

Shinko 244 on the left. Kenda 270 on the right.

New Shinko 244 on left, Worn Kenda 270 on the right

This is either the 3.6 or 4.1 rear Shinko 244 tire on a Sherpa 250

This is the 5.10 rear 244 on an XT600
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote