User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #77341
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Lowering links

Just bought a set of these. Really good price and a few different sizes for customization. I'll report back on the quality when I recieved them. Lowering my 790 2"... It seems like a lot, but with a 2x4 under my feet, I can get the ball of my feet on the ground. With another 1/2" I should be Even better. My only concern is bottoming out my suspension two up. I might have to turn up the preload on the rear spring. On the front, I'll just pull the forks up 1.5 inches.

http://burkhartcycle.com/store/index...roducts_id=162

Edit: if I knew at the time the vstrom 1000 seat is 1+ Taller than the 650, I wouldn't have to go though this trouble when I installed the seat.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #77342
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutalguyracing View Post
i have a 2002 dr650 with say 5k on it im the 3rd owner
i just got the bike recently
drives well the problem i am having is
the clutch engages at the very end of clutch lever release
meaning i can disengage the clutch in the first id say 1/2"-3/4" of pull on lever
any ideas on what to do
i have no clutch slippage at high speeds.....
any info would help
thanks
I dont know if the dr is designed same but I had the same problem on my vulcan. Ended up being a week clutch pack spring. I never felt it slip either.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #77343
Brutalguyracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I dont know if the dr is designed same but I had the same problem on my vulcan. Ended up being a week clutch pack spring. I never felt it slip either.
good to know
thanks
Brutalguyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #77344
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
good to know
thanks
I'd adjust the clutch...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #77345
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I'd adjust the clutch...

Well, there is that.

I have a bad habit of thinking people do the easy stuff before asking questions. I dont always remember that some people dont know where to start.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #77346
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
I'd adjust the clutch...
That was going to be my 2 cents worth of suggestions

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #77347
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
All a moot point for me these days as I don't race anymore and I'm not the least bit interested in squeezing out the last ounce of power out of the bikes I have. Heck, even my Gixxer's bone stock and it'll stay that way till I dump it. Besides, the nearest tuner to where I live now is 210 miles away, and he uses one if those DJ dyno's.
Most any stock Gixxer will hit 160+mph,of course more for the bigguns.

I just dont need to do that on the street,but its nice to have it there in case something comes up where you need it,the handling must be inspiring.

Im picking up a used 1250 Bandit on Thursday,not a fast one but good solid bottom end grunt and supposed to be comfy enough.
Mainly want a reliable bike for burning up and down the CA coast and beyond.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #77348
Brutalguyracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
I'd adjust the clutch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post

Well, there is that.

I have a bad habit of thinking people do the easy stuff before asking questions. I dont always remember that some people dont know where to start.
any advise on what to do to adjust it?
would i be able to use the adjustment at the lever
Brutalguyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #77349
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,085
Bent Riser

I have (well, had) a ROX 3-1/2" riser on my DR650. When I pulled everything apart last week to do some wiring work, I noticed the stupid thing was BENT. Or more accurately, curved. Apparently from the bike going down on the right side a few too many times, the thing actually bent. I'm amazed because of how thick the aluminum was.

So, I'm replacing it with a PowerMadd 3" model that shows up tomorrow. I have the same one on my KLX250S and that thing has survived countless dumps without any issues... dumps far worse than the DR has ever experienced.

Anybody want a really good deal on a bent ROX? :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #77350
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Most any stock Gixxer will hit 160+mph,of course more for the bigguns.

I just dont need to do that on the street,but its nice to have it there in case something comes up where you need it,the handling must be inspiring.

Im picking up a used 1250 Bandit on Thursday,not a fast one but good solid bottom end grunt and supposed to be comfy enough.
Mainly want a reliable bike for burning up and down the CA coast and beyond.
Needs got nothing to do with it.

Hell, a Bandit will go well into the triple digits without even trying.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #77351
WhiskeyTangoM3
I WANT!

Oddometer: 10
Well fellas...I think it's safe to say you should have a new DR650 grunt joining the ranks in the near future.

After a while of searching, learning and have happily settled on choosing the DR as my first motorcycle.
WhiskeyTangoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #77352
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
any advise on what to do to adjust it?
would i be able to use the adjustment at the lever
It should be adjusted so that there's a few MM of play at the lever. So that the first few MM are just taking up the slack in the cable. It needs that slack so that when you turn the bars it's not pulling the cable. It sounds like yours is too tight so you'd need to wind the adjuster in. There's one at the lever and another along the cable with a locknut.

Manual says... loosen the locknut by the lever and wind the adjuster fully in. loosen the locknut on the cable and adjust so there is 10-15MM play at the lever end. Tighten all locknuts. Lubricate with motor oil.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #77353
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I have (well, had) a ROX 3-1/2" riser on my DR650. When I pulled everything apart last week to do some wiring work, I noticed the stupid thing was BENT. Or more accurately, curved. Apparently from the bike going down on the right side a few too many times, the thing actually bent. I'm amazed because of how thick the aluminum was.

So, I'm replacing it with a PowerMadd 3" model that shows up tomorrow. I have the same one on my KLX250S and that thing has survived countless dumps without any issues... dumps far worse than the DR has ever experienced.

Anybody want a really good deal on a bent ROX? :)

Rob
I'd send it back. I'm betting they'll give you another one free. I doubt you could get full refund but a new unit is likely.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #77354
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
It should be adjusted so that there's a few MM of play at the lever. So that the first few MM are just taking up the slack in the cable. It needs that slack so that when you turn the bars it's not pulling the cable. It sounds like yours is too tight so you'd need to wind the adjuster in. There's one at the lever and another along the cable with a locknut.

Manual says... loosen the locknut by the lever and wind the adjuster fully in. loosen the locknut on the cable and adjust so there is 10-15MM play at the lever end. Tighten all locknuts. Lubricate with motor oil.
You can also affect the clutch engagement point by moving the little clutch arm on the clutch side where the cable attaches. There is an "Ideal" position for the arm ... I'm not sure what it is ... but when its "off" it may affect engagement. Once you move the arm to a new spline try adjusting up at the lever. Hope it helps.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #77355
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Just bought a set of these. Really good price and a few different sizes for customization. I'll report back on the quality when I recieved them. Lowering my 790 2"... It seems like a lot, but with a 2x4 under my feet, I can get the ball of my feet on the ground. With another 1/2" I should be Even better. My only concern is bottoming out my suspension two up. I might have to turn up the preload on the rear spring. On the front, I'll just pull the forks up 1.5 inches.

http://burkhartcycle.com/store/index...roducts_id=162

Edit: if I knew at the time the vstrom 1000 seat is 1+ Taller than the 650, I wouldn't have to go though this trouble when I installed the seat.
You can lower the bike 2" for free with the factory lowering system.

Take bottom spacer out from under rear spring, turn it over, done...2" at the rear.

Front remove the fork legs, pull the springs and pre-load spacer. Remove dampers, put spacer under damper, done...2" in the front.

You will need a shorter side stand. I just cut and welded mine.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote