Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #77341
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoM3 View Post
Well fellas...I think it's safe to say you should have a new DR650 grunt joining the ranks in the near future.

After a while of searching, learning and have happily settled on choosing the DR as my first motorcycle.
Welcome Whiskey, definitely nice seeing some local degenerates. I'm always up for a ride in the DFW area, most of my friends have KLR's...so I can't be seen with them
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #77342
WhiskeyTangoM3
I WANT!

Oddometer: 10
Thank you thank you, good to know there are already a few in my area.

I'm gonna make a separate thread for this question, but anyone hear anything or know anything about the 2009's I should know about? I plan on hunting one down.

Also, I'm assuming its probably buried in this thread somewhere, but I want to search for some suspension info, make sure I'm good to go or if I'll need to make some tweaks.

Hopefully it happens sooner than later, but good things to those who wait right?
WhiskeyTangoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #77343
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoM3 View Post
Thank you thank you, good to know there are already a few in my area.

I'm gonna make a separate thread for this question, but anyone hear anything or know anything about the 2009's I should know about? I plan on hunting one down.

Also, I'm assuming its probably buried in this thread somewhere, but I want to search for some suspension info, make sure I'm good to go or if I'll need to make some tweaks.

Hopefully it happens sooner than later, but good things to those who wait right?
off the top of my head on a 2009 the only thing I can think of is the NSU (neutral sending unit) screws. They come loose and can cause havoc. I have a 2009 and haven't checked them yet (they are behind the clutch basket) and just hope the guy who built mine was on his A game.

As for suspension- if you are over about 170 lbs and ride anything other then pavement you are going to want stiffer springs. There are a lot of different setups guys run. If you want the cool guy rear shock with lots of adjustment the Cognet shock seems to be well liked.

Oh- and you can go ahead and start drooling here: http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html
Everything you could want and then some. My name is Mongle and I have a Procycle addiction.

You will see the Procycle guys on here and they are great about answering questions, giving advice and are of course always happy about helping you spend money! They also have some evil sorcerer that somehow ships shit faster then any company I know.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #77344
Bandit33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
We need to have a DR 650 ride in the DFW area soon, like before it gets screaming hot!

Don
12 KTM 990 Adv
Bandit33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #77345
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
off the top of my head on a 2009 the only thing I can think of is the NSU (neutral sending unit) screws. They come loose and can cause havoc. I have a 2009 and haven't checked them yet (they are behind the clutch basket) and just hope the guy who built mine was on his A game.

As for suspension- if you are over about 170 lbs and ride anything other then pavement you are going to want stiffer springs..

they all do that, not just 09'
SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #77346
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit33 View Post
We need to have a DR 650 ride in the DFW area soon, like before it gets screaming hot!

Don
Lets go tomorrow....oh wait, I am heading to Cleveland and live in Phx., so that's not going to work. Come to Phx this weekend and let's go for a ride
Old 06-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #77347
duckslider
****in' spot on!

Oddometer: 3,030
Just ordered a Kenda k270 rear for dr.Anyone familiar with this tyre?

Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #77348
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslider View Post
Just ordered a Kenda k270 rear for dr.Anyone familiar with this tyre?
It's a good solid 50/50 tire with decent mileage. Some guys actually claim really good mileage from the rear. My only beef with the Kenda 270 is the little bitty flexible side knobs. On pavement, they make the tire very squirmy when pushed.

The Shinko 244 is very similar, but has much more substantial side knobs and center side knobs, plus all the knobs are "larger and beefier" so overall its a much more sturdier tire on road. Off road, they are about the same. It appears the rear Shinko 244 might not last as long as the Kenda 270, but in the front, mileage is a toss up and the Shinko 244 is much more confidence inspiring on the pavement.

Here's some close up comparison shots.

Shinko 244 on the left. Kenda 270 on the right.

New Shinko 244 on left, Worn Kenda 270 on the right

This is either the 3.6 or 4.1 rear Shinko 244 tire on a Sherpa 250

This is the 5.10 rear 244 on an XT600
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:22 AM   #77349
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,169
there is also IRC, but they have shot up to stupid expensive prices.
it's the same as 270, where as the 244 has an center extra knob.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

as i understand it, this is the originator design of the concept
https://www.denniskirk.com/rear-trai...prd/643267.sku

as you can see Shinko has a unique center section design.
the 244 is a great rear match to a IRC TR8 front on the DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
It's a good solid 50/50 tire with decent mileage. Some guys actually claim really good mileage from the rear. My only beef with the Kenda 270 is the little bitty flexible side knobs. On pavement, they make the tire very squirmy when pushed.

The Shinko 244 is very similar, but has much more substantial side knobs and center side knobs, plus all the knobs are "larger and beefier" so overall its a much more sturdier tire on road. Off road, they are about the same. It appears the rear Shinko 244 might not last as long as the Kenda 270, but in the front, mileage is a toss up and the Shinko 244 is much more confidence inspiring on the pavement.

Here's some close up comparison shots.

Shinko 244 on the left. Kenda 270 on the right.

New Shinko 244 on left, Worn Kenda 270 on the right

This is either the 3.6 or 4.1 rear Shinko 244 tire on a Sherpa 250

This is the 5.10 rear 244 on an XT600
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:31 AM   #77350
Brutalguyracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
Try and get hold of a service manual. Procycle do the real thing here http://www.procycle.us/ a Clymer manual, or you can download something from the DR Riders forum here http://drriders.com/topic20.html
thank you i will check it out
i think i fixed the clutch issue yesterday
i will find out when i leave for work in a few
thanks for everything guyz.....
Brutalguyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #77351
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
there is also IRC, but they have shot up to stupid expensive prices.
it's the same as 270, where as the 244 has an center extra knob.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

as i understand it, this is the originator design of the concept
https://www.denniskirk.com/rear-trai...prd/643267.sku

as you can see Shinko has a unique center section design.
the 244 is a great rear match to a IRC TR8 front on the DR
So, the Shinko 244 in size 5.1 seems to be the correct size for the DR650?
I just picked up a DR650 in Boston, MA. It is a 2008 that is nicely setup with eibach springs, Whipps plate, Givi plate on the back, screen and Corbin seat. It seems setup for someone over 200lbs. It is well used at 21k miles and fairly rusty for the year. So far I like it a lot!

Anyone from this forum had this bike? Looks setup by an inmate...:-)
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #77352
netsuke
netsuke

Oddometer: 36
dr 650 luggage

Hi everyone,
Am just back from a 4 month trip to South America (Chile, Peru, Bolivia and Argentina), about 20,000km including 6,000km of dirt roads. All on a 650vstrom which I found to be a great bike, but too much road oriented and not quite the adv bike Suzuki would like us to believe it is.
For my next trip I would like something much lighter with more dirt ability so thinking about a DR.
I have a set of soft panniers and a set of Touratech aluminium panniers. For long distance touring, I far prefer the convenience of alu panniers.
Hence my question : would you know if Touratech has ever made pannier racks for the DR650 ? Does the subframe need reinforcing ?

Sorry, I realize this has probably already been covered but there are 5000+ pages on this thread !

Many thanks for your input,
cheers,
Since 1976 : Yamaha 50ss, Honda xl125, Kawasaki z1300, Suzuki gsxr750, Honda vfr 800, Yamaha xtz660, Bmw r1100r, Bmw r1150gs, Bmw r1150rt, Bmw r1150gsa, Bmw r1150 gs/se, Yamaha sr500, Yamaha tdm900, Bmw r1200gsa, Triumph Thunderbird 900, Bmw r1200gsa + Bmw r80g/s ParisDakar + Suzuki DL650 ('12)
netsuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #77353
RideAlongAtlas1
IS GOOD ! ! !

Oddometer: 147
Reply to 20,000km dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsuke View Post
Hi everyone,
Am just back from a 4 month trip to South America (Chile, Peru, Bolivia and Argentina), about 20,000km....
I have a set of soft panniers and a set of Touratech aluminium panniers. For long distance touring, I far prefer the convenience of alu panniers.
Hence my question : would you know if Touratech has ever made pannier racks for the DR650 ? Does the subframe need reinforcing ?

Sorry...r input,
cheers,
I'd recommend a dr650 as it leans towards off road performance much more than the vstrom. It comes as no surprise that it arguably is the best adventure bike ever made, overall. Personally I'm very happy with mine, so far.
Touratech do make panniers for the DR650. I've seen a couple of pannier frames that come with support. Save time and go to procycle.com...DR650... and look at what they've got, as a baseline. I did a ton on research, recently too, on DR650 luggage option. I have made a new thread on this platform. It's called "The Soft Luggage Thread" and it's under Equipment. I tabled some of the research I did into soft luggage there. It is worth everybody who's interested in soft luggage for a bike to look at that table on The Soft Luggage Thread.

Mind you I have some big reports to post of here about my DR650 upgrades. Ive spent $1000 on procycle accessories. Have just bought a Safari tank and some barkbusters. Plus more money spent on killer motorcycling gear. I'll post all this stuff when I get around to it.

Consider getting soft luggage...actually I'll post the table in that thread here again for you...

[IMG][/IMG]

If you've got some luggage options you'd like to share pics of, consider posting the on The Soft Luggage Thread.

The above table are the best soft luggage options Ive so far seen. No doubt theres more I havent come acress yet. But that table reflects a week of solid research. WP is Water Proof, DP is Dust Proof. Cost is as per the internet and in debt-ridden-ponzi-scheme-fractional-reserve-banking-banktergangster-inflationary-currency manipulating - war-mongering-obama stinking US dollars.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #77354
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
The 5.1 will probably work fine on the DR650. Can't find it now, but awhile back someone posted tire size widths of the 244 and it claimed the 4.60 and the 4.1 were the same width, but the 4.1 was a taller tire? That didn't make any sense though?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #77355
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
I went with the 244 4.60 which is equivalent to the 120/90 stock tire but a 5.10 will fit

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote