Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #77776
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
A couple of new things on the DR650.

Screws that, beyond having to have an allen wrench, won't fuck with me as much as the stripped-heads of those funky Japanese phillips style bolts did:

Are those countersunk screws? Where'd you get 'em?
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #77777
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
Are those countersunk screws? Where'd you get 'em?
Not really. They're socket / deep-well / whatever allen-head screws that sort of fit down inside the bevel of the counter-sink holes. They aren't perfect, and aren't beveled on the bottom, but it's a frickin' flat cap with an O-ring that only really needs to be held down ... so I just didn't care.

Where did I get them?

I sense a marketing opportunity here ... I can sell ya two for a buck (plus shipping) if ya want

Actually, my Fastenal store had an open bag of them, so he sold me two. Notice that this particular baggie of little bolts were also knurled on the sides of the socket. Neat, huh?

I also went for different oil-filter-cover bolts (than those that came with the AMP kit), but he only had them by the bag full. I'll order three of those online somewhere else I guess.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #77778
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman00 View Post
Time for some new rubber. Need a good all around tire. Hated the stock tire-went the Kenda 270 route and want to try something else. Give me some ideas and how you liked the tires used.
Front, rear, or both?

What would you like to improve about the K270?

I run a rear 5.10 K270 and a front sand-knobby currently. The front K270 is not as well-liked as the rear by some because the side-knobs flex noticeably while cornering on pavement. I don't notice it on the rear. The Shinko 244 is similar to the K270, but it's side-knobs are better bolstered. When I run a front 244, it corners pretty well on pavement. I prefer an aggressive front knob for the sand around here though. As long as the rear can propel the bike, it usually works ok for me offroad. The rear K270 works well for me and the riding I do, other than chunking and wearing quickly when I beat the heck out of it. I might try the Shinko 244 rear to check it's longevity, but I'm going to stay with something more aggressive up front, like the IRC TR8.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #77779
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,163
New DR

Just picked up a 2013--this is my second or third I've got CRS. Anyway have not had one for 5+ years and I need to farkle this thing. Skid plate, bar guards (Crya) small rear rack, clutch and stator stick on plate covers, maybe a center stand, just the normal fall over protection stuff.
Any of you current users found a central place to order this stuff--I haven't done it in a long time.
Any other good protection stuff come up in recent years?
Like some protection for the oil filter cover--never did one in but I have seen a few cracked.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions--just looking to go to a single source if possible.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #77780
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
I get my stuff from:

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

And.

http://www.kientech.com/DR650ProdList.htm

Both great suppliers.

Gosh sounds like I am pushing drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Just picked up a 2013--this is my second or third I've got CRS. Anyway have not had one for 5+ years and I need to farkle this thing. Skid plate, bar guards (Crya) small rear rack, clutch and stator stick on plate covers, maybe a center stand, just the normal fall over protection stuff.
Any of you current users found a central place to order this stuff--I haven't done it in a long time.
Like some protection for the oil filter cover--never did one in but I have seen a few cracked.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions--just looking to go to a single source if possible.

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #77781
Phloid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
+1 http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

Cut up your credit card now... just do it.

Phloid
Phloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #77782
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
I get my stuff from:

And.

Both great suppliers.

You pretty much are, most of us can proudly say we are addicted.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #77783
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
As someone who is doing a long trip on the Dr, I can say its a compromise bike. There are times I wish I had my Bandit for the power, times I wish I had an Electra glide for the seat, times I wish I had a KTM 450 for nasty offroad, etc. But, I've been using it for everything. I will say if you are going to climb any loose terrain or rocky terrain, you need a knobby rear, because once that weight loses momentum, you're turning around.

Plenty of guys have more skill and are better than me off road, but it has worked for me. I might try a drz with a nova gear set, and see if I like it. That said, the 650 already has low power/torque compared to a road bike, so a 400 might be a bit much. I think a dr790 might be my best bet.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #77784
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,944
Quote:
Procycle has a bunch of stuff. Kientech does too. I also buy a lot of used stuff on Ebay and the classifieds on this site and and at www.drriders.com. Post an ad for what you want. Somebody might have stuff sitting in their garage.

I also buy a bunch of things from cyclegear.com, bikebandit.com, motorcycle-superstore.com, and several other vendors you can read about here.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #77785
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravetter View Post
6'3 185 lbs, plan on riding single track in my backyard with the nephews (going very slow). ADV rides which will consist of 40% gravel and dirt roads, 30% highway and 30% single/jeep trails. Planning numerous 2-3 day rides which means I will be packing my gear (~30lbs) doing the above type riding.

Owned a 2005 KLR and did a few weekend rides. My opinion was it was too big, heavy and lethargic.

Budget is ~$3500.

Shooting from the hip, DRZ400, DR650 or be patient and find a TE610?
I know others have given their opinion. I've owned a couple KLR's, a really well set up DRZ, and a well set up DR. Haven't tried the 610 yet.

My opinion--I think the DRZ is over-rated. I know it's a better off-road bike than the DR, but it feels to me about 15% better off-road, but the DRZ is like 40% worse on road (if that makes sense). I don't think it is good enough off-road to make up for its on-road manners. If you want something better for single-track, you could definitely do better than the DR, but it's a great do-it-all bike. If you are really planning on mostly single-track--get something else. If you want one bike to do it all, the DR650 is great. It can do single track better than you'd imagine, but it can also do several hundred miles on the highway better than you'd imagine as well. It's a great compromise between dirt and street.
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #77786
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
Thanks for compiling those ... Saved for future reference . Love seeing the DR in action...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
Yea, someone like Rolf Tibblin. Big, tough and talented.

Quote:
I even got to train with him ........
So, yer old too......
Quote:
I really enjoy the DR650 but treat it with due respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phloid View Post
+1 http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

Cut up your credit card now... just do it.

Phloid

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #77787
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,345
Volt meter reads Lower at higher RPM than at Idle

I have one of those nifty Numeric readout volt meters on my dash. Thought it was a good idea with Heated grips and other Plug-in stuff.

At Idle (1500-1600 RPMs) the volt meter reads 13.6 to 13.8 with nothing turned on or plugged in. Running down the road (say 3-5k RPMs) it is actually Lower Voltage, say around 13.2-13.4.

Now, I know this is telling me that it's charging, but I was always under the impression that it would charge more at higher RPMs.

Do I misunderstand and this normal behavior or should I start poking around the electrical system? And Since I'm not much of a mechanic (especially where wires are concerned) where should I start looking?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #77788
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
I have one of those nifty Numeric readout volt meters on my dash. Thought it was a good idea with Heated grips and other Plug-in stuff.

At Idle (1500-1600 RPMs) the volt meter reads 13.6 to 13.8 with nothing turned on or plugged in. Running down the road (say 3-5k RPMs) it is actually Lower Voltage, say around 13.2-13.4.

Now, I know this is telling me that it's charging, but I was always under the impression that it would charge more at higher RPMs.

Do I misunderstand and this normal behavior or should I start poking around the electrical system? And Since I'm not much of a mechanic (especially where wires are concerned) where should I start looking?

Thanks in advance for any feedback
So do I, and that seems like an issue. On mine it is the same thing as yours at idle, but goes up to 14.6 v when running on highway. I have an upgraded stator and regulator though, so perhaps that's why? I am under the impression the regulator shunts excess amperage to ground to avoid overcharging (converting it to heat which must be dissipated hence an upgraded regulator when using an upgraded stator).
Old 06-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #77789
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
I know others have given their opinion. I've owned a couple KLR's, a really well set up DRZ, and a well set up DR. Haven't tried the 610 yet.

My opinion--I think the DRZ is over-rated. I know it's a better off-road bike than the DR, but it feels to me about 15% better off-road, but the DRZ is like 40% worse on road (if that makes sense). I don't think it is good enough off-road to make up for its on-road manners. If you want something better for single-track, you could definitely do better than the DR, but it's a great do-it-all bike. If you are really planning on mostly single-track--get something else. If you want one bike to do it all, the DR650 is great. It can do single track better than you'd imagine, but it can also do several hundred miles on the highway better than you'd imagine as well. It's a great compromise between dirt and street.
Interesting. I'll have to find someone willing to bike swap for a day and see if I find that to be true with the DRz.

The te610 was on my list too, but it was hard to find and I would have already had to swap the cam chain (from what I understand) and possibly the rollers (?) once on my current trip. Also, never underestimate the importance of a strong subframe. I only carry 50lbs on this trip, but I've had up to 70 carrying a tire and extra fuel etc down washboard roads and rocky trails- never an issue. I'm not sure a 610 could do that.. I wouldn't worry about 3rd gear though (ducks behind wall). It all comes down to what you want really. I can endure much strife on the road, but I can't make weight go away off road. This is why I've considered a drz, ktm690, wr250r, etc. That said, I'm a traveler and I use a bikes dirt performance to get me to places many will never see- the DR is great for that, and it will play dirt bike or road bike OK. I think the KTM 690 is possibly the best dual sport at this point, but I don't like things I can't fix..
Old 06-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #77790
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Eh? Not drug pushers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
I get my stuff from:

And.

Both great suppliers.

Not "drugs" mate,

"DR-ugs"

Or maybe "DR-ughs" since our credit cards make us say UGH! hen we get the monthly statement .
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote