Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #78436
elisdad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
I have the Happy Trail version of the bar mounted on the Pat Walsh skid plate in the same location. The footpegs fold upwards and stay, much like passenger footpegs. I strongly suggest replacing your footpegs with folding models, regardless of how wide your solid bar is.
Thanks for the reply FlowBee. I do want to make a version with folding pegs. I decided for now to move the bar a bit higher on the skidplate until I can make a second version with real pegs. I feel a bit better about the cornering clearance with them in this location.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #78437
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisdad View Post
Thanks for the reply FlowBee. I do want to make a version with folding pegs. I decided for now to move the bar a bit higher on the skidplate until I can make a second version with real pegs. I feel a bit better about the cornering clearance with them in this location.

I made a set of highway pegs for my wife's F650GS out of a set of handlebars I had laying around. I was concerned about them in a crash so I scored the ends with my pipe cutter, probably about halfway through. My thinking being that they would just break off if she crashed. She never crashed and I never did the finite element analysis on them so not sure it that would have worked but an option for you till you get folding ones.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #78438
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,052
the DR650 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisdad View Post

Here's what I did.
This is my old Utah plate. I since went to a PWD plate and left the pegs off.
But I knew I was never going to need the passenger pegs, so I welded them I to square tubing I bought a Lowes and bolted them onto the Utah plate. They fold and click up out of the way when not used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 07:10 PM
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #78439
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,446
if you use a TCI skid plate you can use your rear pegs as hiway bars.
you use some plate metal and bolt clamp them to the TCI side bars.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #78440
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 395
Rolling some fire roads near Cheeseman Reservoir Colorado. New fairing and lighting working well. [/URL]

Graniteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #78441
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
No worries. Sometimes I use emoticons to reduce ambiguity.

I bought a chain and sprockets from Rick and because I was on the road he let me use his shop for the installation, which was greatly appreciated.

I deeply regret not getting to visit Rick @ Cogent Dynamics. I was riding the Blue Ridge Parkway last Sept and told him I was gonna stop if I got a chance. As things worked out we were running late and I tried to put his address into my Garmin GPS 60, I found out that I hadn't loaded the maps for that part of the US from CityNav. So I would only be able to find it by asking directions. Hey, I'm a man and "we" don't ask for directions!. So with time running late and no idea where to start looking, I had to pass. I really wanted to meet the man who made my DR useable in the whoops. Maybe next time.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #78442
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,065
Another bad CDI

Well, turns out the "spare" CDI I got from a fellow inmate is also bad. It showed up in last night's mail and I installed it this morning, in anticipation of a fun ride on my DR, the first one in over a month. Instead, I found the exact same conditions as with my old CDI.. RPMs at almost double, with the bar graph on the tach occasionally slow-spiking up to 6000 RPMs, and a nasty miss on occasion. I didn't even bother to ride it, I just unbolted and removed the thing.

Had it not been for the CDI that Jeff @ ProCycle loaned me working perfectly, I would suspect I had a different problem. Now I guess I'll have to order that one from Belgium and wait another two weeks for the thing to run.

Farg.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320

Rob.G screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 09:58 AM
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #78443
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Well, turns out the "spare" CDI I got from a fellow inmate is also bad. It showed up in last night's mail and I installed it this morning, in anticipation of a fun ride on my DR, the first one in over a month. Instead, I found the exact same conditions as with my old CDI.. RPMs at almost double, with the bar graph on the tach occasionally slow-spiking up to 6000 RPMs, and a nasty miss on occasion. I didn't even bother to ride it, I just unbolted and removed the thing.

Had it not been for the CDI that Jeff @ ProCycle loaned me working perfectly, I would suspect I had a different problem. Now I guess I'll have to order that one from Belgium and wait another two weeks for the thing to run.

Farg.

Rob
So let me get this right--bike running but AFU--remove CDI try one from ProCycle--bike runs OK--buy one--bike running but AFU just like the first one
Man what are the chances that two CDI's would produce exactly the same failure mode? I've had them fail but never in exactly the same way--unless of course they were just dead.
Good luck with the third one--please post your results.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #78444
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by foot dragger View Post
i would rather ride the bike,its just my preference. Dont like planes a bit.
+1
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #78445
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
So let me get this right--bike running but AFU--remove CDI try one from ProCycle--bike runs OK--buy one--bike running but AFU just like the first one
Man what are the chances that two CDI's would produce exactly the same failure mode? I've had them fail but never in exactly the same way--unless of course they were just dead.
Good luck with the third one--please post your results.

Yeah I don't get it either. The fact that the one Jeff loaned me worked fine and now this one is just like mine really makes me go WTF. And yeah like you said -- they both have the very same problem. I'm beyond frustrated. It sure would be nice if there was somebody local with a DR650 that I could test this other CDI on, and his on mine, just as I did with Jeff's.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #78446
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
So it is possible to re-use the stock throttle tube.

I had a new Motion Pro tube waiting to use on my bike but my wife beat me to it when she asked to have BMW grips put on her DR:

I decided I didn't feel like ordering another right now so I wondered how difficult it would be to take the original rubber off, having read of many people who'd tried and mostly failed, it sounded like.

Well it really didn't want to pull off the old tube, but it was fairly easy to whittle off with a sharp Olfa knife.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 11:36 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #78447
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Race Tech Emulator Question:

Recently an inmate here posted that he thought he unlocked the combo in the Emulators to get a nice plush ride and that he was around 180lbs I think. Blue springs I remember but the rest I don't. Unfortunately i cannot find the post again.
Anyone ?

Old 07-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #78448
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteone View Post
Rolling some fire roads near Cheeseman Reservoir Colorado. New fairing and lighting working well.
Glad that's working well for you. Love the open spaces.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #78449
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
My good friend rode his DR southbound on the CDR (in July), hit New Mexico then turned the bike.......
East for NJ
2 days later he was home, but between the heat, tractor trailers and wind blast, the ride nearly killed him.

For most, if you want to spend your vacation time and time away from family on the bike and adventure riding is your thing, then riding from say NJ to Colorado or Cali, then start a 2,500 trip, then ride home, just aint happening.
I understand all this, and I don't recall making any disparaging remarks (or at least, not any that I would consider disparaging), but wouldn't a hard enduro be a better bike than a DR650 if you're just going to haul/trailer the long slab sections of your adventures? Basically, I think I'd be on a DR-Z or dirtier if I didn't have to slab it and/or go 2up. By the same token, I think I'd be on a Wee or bigger/faster if I didn't ride so much soft sand, whoops, mud, or berms around here. Somehow, the DR manages it all pretty well, IMO.

For those that trailer/haul the slab to ride the interesting places, why use a DR650 instead of a dirtier bike?

Kommando screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 12:27 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #78450
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

the DR650 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I understand all this, and I don't recall making any disparaging remarks (or at least, not any that I would consider disparaging), but wouldn't a hard enduro be a better bike than a DR650 if you're just going to haul/trailer the long slab sections of your adventures? Basically, I think I'd be on a DR-Z or dirtier if I didn't have to slab it and/or go 2up. By the same token, I think I'd be on a Wee or bigger/faster if I didn't ride so much soft sand, whoops, mud, or berms around here. Somehow, the DR manages it all.
No Komand, you didn't. At least I didn't think so.
For me the DR hits the sweet spot too for adventure touring. Not too small not too big. Just right.
I just don't want to use days up riding from NJ to "Adventure West" to start the real trip
Lol
I always ridden big trailies so to me the DR feels quite nimble.

DockingPilot screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 12:15 PM