Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #79051
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
Having owned a thumper (XR650L) for 12 years before I was without one for the past 5 years. Sooooo A nice (well) used 2003 DR650 followed me home today from a felow inmate in Asheville NC. Thanks Kennyanc.

I will have to do some serious back reading to get to know the model.

Ray
It's not even 80,000 posts

Ride, don't read...post your Q's, prepare to get beat up, but the answers will come anyway.

Welcome.
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #79052
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,411
I've never ridden with hand/lever protection...

and now I think I should. So what do you guys like? Is the name "Bark Buster" now a generic term? Are they good? Are there better? How's the fit with no changes to stock levers and stuff on bars?

Thanks.
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #79053
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
You can spend as much as you want on hand guards, but they are all pretty much the same. Some are fancier than others and install easier, but the cheap ones work just as well as the expensive ones in my experience. I got mine from ProCycle. All will require a little bit of manipulation to make fit, but it is not difficult. The trick to installing them is to leave all of the bolts loose until you get it lined up how you want it, then tighten them down while holding it in position.

If you still have the stock bars, you might want to look at new bars while you are installing the hand guards and have to move stuff around anyhow. Mine (96) still had the stock bars and they had been tweaked a little bit, so I replaced them with new Pro-Taper bars with a higher bend for better ergonomics while standing, plus new grips since all the "bite" was worn off the original grips.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #79054
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
and now I think I should. So what do you guys like? Is the name "Bark Buster" now a generic term? Are they good? Are there better? How's the fit with no changes to stock levers and stuff on bars?

Thanks.
I don't think Barkbuster is the same as Kleenex, but maybe some people do. I have Barkbusters and like them. I haven't tried anything else. They are good. I don't think there are better and they fit with no changes to stock levers and stuff on the bars (although I don't have stock bars )

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #79055
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
I took Grifter's advice (if memory serves) and went with some Tusk brand handguards thru Rocky Mtn ATV/MC. They're reasonably priced, installed easily and have held up well on some spills.

I've had a variety and they've all done their job but the price was right on the Tusk.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #79056
Carbster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Question Biggest carb?

What's the biggest carb you've seen mounted on a DR?

I have gone pretty big, 790, 4mm oversized valves, cam, mega port work and pipe/header. My fcr 39 can't feed it. I'm talking with someone more knowledgeable than me about boring 43-44mm.

Has anyone done such a thing?
Carbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #79057
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:

Thanks.
Highway dirt bike makes some robust handguards. Although expensive, look at their site and you see why you pay a bit more.

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...ref=handguards

Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #79058
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,764
cush drive shims and EK link

Yep, I believe I posted about shims a few months back; went that route after I read about it here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825325

Another thing, the EK screw-type chain link (scroll down a bit on the site):

http://www.ekchain.jp/feature/index.html

About 4,000 miles on it now and it looks just like it did when I put it on there. I've always used clip links but every now and then I'd lose one and it would unnerve me a bit, especially on long trips. But I didn't know if I trusted myself to rivet a chain properly, plus I'm too cheap to buy a good rivet tool. The EK link presses the plate on as part of the install, so it's a no-brainer. I think it'll be the ticket for me from now on.

Sarah
Old 07-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #79059
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 705
It just keeps gettin better !

After the success of the Motolab carb parts, I went and did a bit more service the other night.

Lubed the chain with Blue Dupont teflon spray, Changed oil and filter useing high end Castrol 10w-40, adjusted the enrichener plunger to be sure there was some slack in the cable to FULLY seat it in the carb. I readjusted the idle mixture screw again to get it spot on also..

I took the long way to and from work yesterday to make a 91 mile test loop.

Conditions were no wind, slightly hilly pavement with a bit of overgrown double track short cuts for a few miles. Speed on pavement was 50 - 60 MPH and 1st gear putt putt in the short cuts.

In 91 miles I used 1.45 gallons of non ethenol fuel.....thats 62.75 MPG !

Im not gonna mod a single thing on the airbox / engine or exhaust !

Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #79060
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Yep, I believe I posted about shims a few months back; went that route after I read about it here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825325

Another thing, the EK screw-type chain link (scroll down a bit on the site):

http://www.ekchain.jp/feature/index.html

About 4,000 miles on it now and it looks just like it did when I put it on there. I've always used clip links but every now and then I'd lose one and it would unnerve me a bit, especially on long trips. But I didn't know if I trusted myself to rivet a chain properly, plus I'm too cheap to buy a good rivet tool. The EK link presses the plate on as part of the install, so it's a no-brainer. I think it'll be the ticket for me from now on.

Sarah
I have a good chain rivet tool (D.I.D.) and I nearly always rivet my chains because it's just one less potential failure point AND a failed chain can be catastrophic. That said I put a clip style link on my son's SV650 in order to "use up" a partially worn chain taken off my DL before an extended road trip. However, I safety wired the clip link. That was required protocol on tracks back when clip links were the standard.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #79061
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,168
Guards

Quote:

Thanks.
IMHO two issues on a stock DR. Go to the Pro Cycle site and go to controls, then to the hand guard kit. In my experience on my last two DR's clearance for the hand guards over the levers was an issue. The Pro Cycle kit worked for me--cleared the stock levers. Second issue is what size bars do you want. If you are going to the larger bars from the 7/8 stock then get the bars and the guards that are compatible together and install them together. I stayed with the stock 7/8 bars.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #79062
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbster View Post

I have gone pretty big, 790, 4mm oversized valves, cam, mega port work and pipe/header. My fcr 39 can't feed it. I'm talking with someone more knowledgeable than me about boring 43-44mm.

Talk to Cyclewizard. You can usually find him on the Honda XR650L thread. He has modified carbs to work with his full-house 742cc XRL engines. He may be able to help you with something for your DR.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #79063
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbster View Post

Rochester 4 barrel ?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #79064
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
I have a good chain rivet tool (D.I.D.) and I nearly always rivet my chains because it's just one less potential failure point AND a failed chain can be catastrophic. That said I put a clip style link on my son's SV650 in order to "use up" a partially worn chain taken off my DL before an extended road trip. However, I safety wired the clip link. That was required protocol on tracks back when clip links were the standard.
Thank you, thump!

I always sealed the clip with silicone, but safety wire would be the real deal.

By the way, if you were to re-lube your starter, would you use something other than the DuPont stuff next go round? I got a little early-morning squawk wanting to back. Thanks again.

Sarah
Old 07-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #79065
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Thank you, thump!

I always sealed the clip with silicone, but safety wire would be the real deal.

By the way, if you were to re-lube your starter, would you use something other than the DuPont stuff next go round? I got a little early-morning squawk wanting to back. Thanks again.

Sarah
If you're going to the trouble of lubing your starter bushing, you might want to do it right and put the Warp 9 cover/bearing in, instead. Then you won't need to do it again.

Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote