Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #79051
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolsk8ter

Anybody use the Seat concepts "TALL" version?

I have seen the feedback on the standard and it is looking great from that end.

I am 6' 2" and am thinking about getting the "Tall".

Any pictures?? does it look odd with too much seat thickness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post

Seat Concepts 1" Taller version. vs. stock
`
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #79052
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Motolab has a thread in Vendors with parts and prices. Shouldn't be hard to find.
Thanks for the information. I didn't know that motolab had a spot on the vendor forum. I need to give him a call to order up a needle for my stock carb and hopefully that will smooth it out some. I also need to give it a thorough cleaning as well. Pine Sol.............
Old 07-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #79053
SingleTrackJeff
Lurker and Hangaround

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
Yes, a '06. Found locally in a very small rural town. Owned by 2 previous guys. Both older guys, never ridden off pavement, 4,000 miles.

Now owned by a little old guy who is gonna get it dirty once I get some good knobbyish tires on it !
Yea kinda like mine only ridden on Sundays by a senior citizen.

Did I mention it chases a bunch of KTMs trough the woods when it does get ridden.
SingleTrackJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #79054
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
(Ya' all know why the old timers call it a Jesus clip, right?)

Never thought about it that way, but I guess if you stare at it long enough, you might come to that conclusion.. Especially after liberal alcoholic lubrication.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #79055
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Anyone's thoughts on using inner tube to stiffen up rubbers. Had new cush rubbers when I left and 13k on them saw them loose. I cut pieces out of an old inner tube and hell, I almost think it would be better than new rubbers. No slop, and its sort of a two stage dampening system since the tube is softer than the rubbers.. ideas?
There have been a few riders who've done this ... I plan to try it in the near future. Once the hubb falls out easily ... it's time to firm it up. New rubber bumpers are expensive. Old tubes are free.

Most notable DR rider to use the inner tube bits would be Jammin Jay on his epic RTW DR650 Ride. He claimed it worked well and smoothed out the drive line some. Not sure who else has done it ... but recall reading about it from time to time.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #79056
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleTrackJeff View Post
I have noticed the last few rides that my 06 DR isn't locking into second well some times it comes out some times not. Some times it takes two hits on the shifter to get it in. Any thoughts?
Jeff,
I think someone mentioned the shift lever being lose and floppy? They ALL loosen up. I'm on my 3rd lever ... the internal splines wear and eventually you can no longer tighten up. So that's one thing.

The other common thing on a DR is if your shift lever has been bent IN ... it may be touching the case when you go to shift. The case can restrict movement ... which makes finding gears difficult. Good luck!

(also important to have the lever set to suit your boot size)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #79057
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,327
Having owned a thumper (XR650L) for 12 years before I was without one for the past 5 years. Sooooo A nice (well) used 2003 DR650 followed me home today from a felow inmate in Asheville NC. Thanks Kennyanc.

I will have to do some serious back reading to get to know the model.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #79058
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
Having owned a thumper (XR650L) for 12 years before I was without one for the past 5 years. Sooooo A nice (well) used 2003 DR650 followed me home today from a felow inmate in Asheville NC. Thanks Kennyanc.

I will have to do some serious back reading to get to know the model.

Ray
It's not even 80,000 posts

Ride, don't read...post your Q's, prepare to get beat up, but the answers will come anyway.

Welcome.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #79059
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,349
I've never ridden with hand/lever protection...

and now I think I should. So what do you guys like? Is the name "Bark Buster" now a generic term? Are they good? Are there better? How's the fit with no changes to stock levers and stuff on bars?

Thanks.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #79060
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
You can spend as much as you want on hand guards, but they are all pretty much the same. Some are fancier than others and install easier, but the cheap ones work just as well as the expensive ones in my experience. I got mine from ProCycle. All will require a little bit of manipulation to make fit, but it is not difficult. The trick to installing them is to leave all of the bolts loose until you get it lined up how you want it, then tighten them down while holding it in position.

If you still have the stock bars, you might want to look at new bars while you are installing the hand guards and have to move stuff around anyhow. Mine (96) still had the stock bars and they had been tweaked a little bit, so I replaced them with new Pro-Taper bars with a higher bend for better ergonomics while standing, plus new grips since all the "bite" was worn off the original grips.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #79061
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
and now I think I should. So what do you guys like? Is the name "Bark Buster" now a generic term? Are they good? Are there better? How's the fit with no changes to stock levers and stuff on bars?

Thanks.
I don't think Barkbuster is the same as Kleenex, but maybe some people do. I have Barkbusters and like them. I haven't tried anything else. They are good. I don't think there are better and they fit with no changes to stock levers and stuff on the bars (although I don't have stock bars )

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #79062
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
I took Grifter's advice (if memory serves) and went with some Tusk brand handguards thru Rocky Mtn ATV/MC. They're reasonably priced, installed easily and have held up well on some spills.

I've had a variety and they've all done their job but the price was right on the Tusk.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #79063
Carbster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Question Biggest carb?

What's the biggest carb you've seen mounted on a DR?

I have gone pretty big, 790, 4mm oversized valves, cam, mega port work and pipe/header. My fcr 39 can't feed it. I'm talking with someone more knowledgeable than me about boring 43-44mm.

Has anyone done such a thing?
Carbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #79064
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

Thanks.
Highway dirt bike makes some robust handguards. Although expensive, look at their site and you see why you pay a bit more.

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...ref=handguards

Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #79065
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,712
cush drive shims and EK link

Yep, I believe I posted about shims a few months back; went that route after I read about it here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825325

Another thing, the EK screw-type chain link (scroll down a bit on the site):

http://www.ekchain.jp/feature/index.html

About 4,000 miles on it now and it looks just like it did when I put it on there. I've always used clip links but every now and then I'd lose one and it would unnerve me a bit, especially on long trips. But I didn't know if I trusted myself to rivet a chain properly, plus I'm too cheap to buy a good rivet tool. The EK link presses the plate on as part of the install, so it's a no-brainer. I think it'll be the ticket for me from now on.

Sarah