Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #81781
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,521
did you pull one of the plugs to check color? if the condition is an electrical misfire I would expect a 'normal' if not darkish color. if a fueling issue, chalky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsmanracer View Post
All the interlocks are fine, they have all been bypassed and the connections are good.

I dont know why I didnt think of this before, but it could be the gas. Ever since I filled up at a racetrac (huge gas station) it has been running crappy. When I drain the gas to look at the petcock screens, I'll give the gas an eyeball check. I have already burned through most of it, so I will be filling up at a different gas station to see what's up.

If that doesn't work, then I think I am going to have to take the carb apart again. I checked the jets 2 days ago, and I know there is not any varnish in there. There could be some dirt somewhere though.

I'm also going to look up the current that should be flowing through the different components and go at the thing with an ohmmeter.
Zapp22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #81782
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,007
205'd by GSF and Rusty

The reasons the 520 chain got so popular: 1. There are more sprocket choices available (number of teeth). With those choices, you can fine tune your gearing. 2. It's my understanding that the 520 is easier to find world wide, if you have chain problems in Timbuktu, 520 is easier to find. 3. It's cheaper, the real reason.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaffucci View Post
Would you recommend someone to switch to a 520 chain? What do you run? Also, if I had a 520 chain and 3 different sprockets, could I just switch the sprockets out at will on the same chain? Wouldn't I have to alter the chain to fit somehow? I just know nothing on this subject.
No, I wouldn't recommend a 520 chain for here in the USA. I run a 525. You could switch the sprockets at will IF you have a 525 chain, it's wider. A 520 chain won't fit 525 sprockets.

The numbers below mean that the 525 pins are 1/16" longer than the 520, that's 25% more surface area per pin = longer life. Someone will be along inna minit to correct my percentages.

I tried to find the explanation of the 5-2-5 and failed, so this is from memory.

The first 5 means # of 1/8"s = 5 x 1/8" = 5/8" pitch (pin to pin centerline)

The second two digits (for width, inside dimension) 2-5 means # of 1/8" also, as in 2.5 x 1/8" = 5/16"

A 520 still has the leading 5 meaning it is also 5/8" pitch.

Soooooo, the 2-0 means 2.0 x 1/8" = 1/4" wide

Going one step further(?) a 530 will be 5/8" pitch......3.0 x 1/8" = 3/8" wide

Hey, not my fault, I didn't invent it..........................

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 02:51 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #81783
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsmanracer View Post
...I dont know why I didnt think of this before, but it could be the gas. Ever since I filled up at a racetrac (huge gas station) it has been running crappy. When I drain the gas to look at the petcock screens, I'll give the gas an eyeball check. I have already burned through most of it, so I will be filling up at a different gas station to see what's up.
A gentleman I was riding with yesterday made a good point about choosing 87 octane over 93 or 89 (which is just a mix), and that is that with all the alcohol in the fuels these days, and since fewer cars need 93, it sits around longer and absorbs more water from the air.

I couple of guys on high-end bikes have been wondering why their bikes weren't running well, and some believe it was due to choosing a higher octane fuel instead of really, really fresh gasoline that gets replaced more often (i.e. 87 octane).

The worst someone could do in such a scenario, then, would be to choose 89 or 93 octane at a station that bargain-basement fuel buyers go to buy fuel ... their 93 octane will probably sit around far longer than at a top tier gas station.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #81784
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
205'd by GSF

The reasons the 520 chain got so popular: 1. There are more sprocket choices available (number of teeth). With those choices, you can fine tune your gearing. 2. It's my understanding that the 520 is easier to find world wide, if you have chain problems in Timbuktu, 520 is easier to find. 3. It's cheaper, the real reason.

ETA:
No, I wouldn't recommend a 520 chain for here in the USA. I run a 525. You could switch the sprockets at will IF you have a 525 chain, it's wider. A 520 chain won't fit 525 sprockets.

The numbers below mean that the 525 pins are 1/16" longer than the 520, that's 25% more surface area per pin = longer life. Someone will be along inna minit to correct my percentages.

I tried to find the explanation of the 5-2-5 and failed, so this is from memory.

The first 5 means # of 1/8"s = 5 x 1/8" = 5/8" pitch (pin to pin centerline)

The second two digits (for width, inside dimension) 2-5 means # of 1/8" also, as in 2.5 x 1/8" = 5/16"

A 520 still has the leading 5 meaning it is also 5/8" pitch.

Soooooo, the 2-0 means 2.0 x 1/8" = 1/4" wide

Going one step further(?) a 530 will be 5/8" pitch......3.0 x 1/8" = 3/8" wide

Hey, not my fault, I didn't invent it..........................
Good call on price- I didnt mention that and its important as well
GSF1200S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #81785
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Yes, why? I could see that on a race bike where every ounce matters but a DR650? The final drive is highly stressed on a big thumper like the DR. Seems to me going to a smaller chain is counterintuitve.
I'm about to put my fifth chain on my DR650. So far three 525's (including the one on the bike at the moment) all got over 18000 miles and the one 520 I tried got just over 10,000. I'm sticking with 525, myself.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #81786
paynebrody
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I'm making my own rack (and eventually panniers), and something that I design around is if I get hit from behind, or if I slide off the back (somehow). You have a usable rack, no doubt, but can you do anything to it to reduce all those sharp corners ... just in case? Looks like a cheese grater (of sorts) to human clothing and flesh to me.
Hey Dave, I totally agree with you. I sort of got it on there in a hurry with the intention of pulling it to bits and smoothing everything out. The sharp bits bother me. I run the CNC mill at work so I might even make something a little less scrappy.. I currently have a Givi top box strapped on for commuting. Pretty wussy but great for commuting and weighs nothing. It would implode in a crash I reckon

Have you started building yet? I'd like to see some non welded examples. Also trying to figure out some non welded side racks...
Brody
paynebrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #81787
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Interesting link. Do I just put the loctite where the bearing meets the shaft and let it sit open for awhile?
I would squirt contact cleaner and compressed air between the shaft and race to get as much oil out of the area as possible. Then apply the Locktite 290 to the gap/joint between the shaft and bearing.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #81788
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
I would squirt contact cleaner and compressed air between the shaft and race to get as much oil out of the area as possible. Then apply the Locktite 290 to the gap/joint between the shaft and bearing.
Does 290 not require a 24 hour set time? When I used a similar compound in the alternator rotor on my F800GS, I had to be sure to leave it for a full 24 hours.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #81789
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 746
Pro Taper Adapters

Do the rubber mount Pro Taper 1 1/8" adapters work on the DR650? They aren't listed as compatible.

If not - what do I use?

Thanks!
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #81790
craftsmanracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
did you pull one of the plugs to check color? if the condition is an electrical misfire I would expect a 'normal' if not darkish color. if a fueling issue, chalky.
They are both normal, greyish brown. So I think it is fuel for sure.

I drained all the gas out of the tank, dumped it in the truck, and I will be getting new 87 octane tomorrow.

I did use 93 octane previously, and as stated, it does have a higher chance of having water in it.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #81791
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Does 290 not require a 24 hour set time? When I used a similar compound in the alternator rotor on my F800GS, I had to be sure to leave it for a full 24 hours.
Locktite says it sets in 10 minutes and is fully cured in 24 hours.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_l...-Green-290.htm
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #81792
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
I think that the chances are about equal if the storage tank has been stirred up by, for example, a recent fuel delivery, the storage tank is past its use-by date and has developed a few pinholes or the operator is just plain lazy.

I carry and use one of these (F1) whenever in doubt... they work even if the little one is painfully slow.
http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Models.html

My girlfriend and I are in India at the moment and we are using them for every drop of fuel into the bikes and PPG tanks... I'd swear that some people are deliberately watering the fuel.
Epic trip! Have fun man..
GSF1200S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #81793
paynebrody
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Is there a specific reason for no weld racks?

20mm x 1.6-2.0mm wall RHS is cheap, and can be welded with a stick welder or cheap MIG with flux core wire.

I am reminded of the work done by Gadget678 on his DRZ. Tidy bends were made by slotting the RHS and welding the slots closed once bent. The calculations for the number and spacing of slots are fairly easy. The design is different, but the construction methods are the same.
It is somewhere in here towards the end: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292 or if any of his photos are clicked it'll open his Smugmug gallery where the a few photos can e found in his 2012 pages.
Na no specific reason, just that most of the home made welded racks I've seen look very home made! I guess it depends on the guy making them. I'm half tempted to buy the oem rack and run soft luggage on longer trips and the Givi for around town. I kind of like being able to strip all the crap off and ride a trail bike..

Brody
paynebrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #81794
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,007
Happy Trails seem well liked and tuck in nicely.

http://www.happy-trail.com/Suzuki-DR...cks-DR650.aspx

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #81795
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
I'm about to put my fifth chain on my DR650. So far three 525's (including the one on the bike at the moment) all got over 18000 miles and the one 520 I tried got just over 10,000. I'm sticking with 525, myself.
Same here. I've ridden with guys running 520 chains ... and seen them disintegrate a bit earlier than I thought they would. (DRZ400S, KTM640) (only 10 to 12K miles)

My OEM original DID O ring chain (a 525) on my DR went about 12K miles. Next up, DID VM2 X ring, 525 chain. 24,000 miles using two front sprockets. That chain had no kinks at 24K and could have gone A LOT further, but since I was starting a long, out of country ride, I replaced everything.

Current chain is another DID VM2 X ring, 525. Now around 16K miles. Looks like new. On 2nd front sprocket, will add a 3rd at 20K miles. Makes a nice difference.

Sadly, the DID VM2 chains are harder to find now and very very expensive (about $190 usd). But I'll still run one when time comes. I'm not convinced DID's "NEW" VX series chains are even close in longevity to the old VM2. Time will tell. Early reports suggest about 15K chain life. (I'm not impressed! )

As mentioned, you can run either size chain. The 525 is quite a bit stronger and not much heavier. With the available gearing out there, I no longer see an advantage to the 520, even out of the USA.

Start your trip with ALL NEW chain/sprockets, bring 2 or 3 spare front sprockets ... and you should be good for OVER 25,000 miles. If you ride constant rain, lots of mud, then reduce that figure by around 5000 miles or so. Rain and MUD are very hard on chain and sprockets. Out of the USA it can be quite hard to find a decent chain or sprockets, even if it's a 520. Never count on finding something good unless in Europe or USA. Most available items are from China, and brand name items are often "bottom of the line". Some OK, some not so OK.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote