Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #81781
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by 175grams View Post
Quick wiring question about my '01 DR650. I've heard a lot of people mention a spare lead behind the headlight cowl that can be used for a 12V outlet. Do I need to add an inline fuse to that lead or is it already protected?

Thanks.
I don't believe it is fused. There are only three fuses on the whole system. 30amp main, 10amp low beam, 10amp high beam.
It is only on with IGN on.
It's pretty small wire, would be okay for a GPS hook up (5v) but personally I couldn't see putting a Cig lighter on that wire. Might be fine though, I'm sure an expert will chime in and let us know.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #81782
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Steve View Post
If you're talking about the turn signal dash indicators, then thats how I did mine.
Two LED's will fit inside the hole in the dash. I used some super bright white ones that can't be missed even in bright daylight. They are a bit bright at night though.
I leave my signals on so much I actually made a dashboard and wired a turn signal in it. Now I have a turn signal for my turn signal warning light! It's about 2inches by one inch!
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #81783
paynebrody
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Brody, I am welding.

A couple of years ago I decided to fulfill my wish to learn to weld, so I bought a Lincoln Mig with a tank of shielding gas, 5/8" tubing, and a 5/8" tubing hand-bender.

I could take pictures of what I've finished thus far, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.

You already are more of an expert than I with metals and CNC'ing, so I suggest you get yourself a lower cost welder and have at it. between the CNC and the welding you could make some great designs and attachment points I'd guess.
Hi Dave,

Yeah I've done a bit of welding in the past but for some reason just don't like it as a primary construction technique. Seems like things usually break 'at the weld'. I have a cheapo Cigweld stick welder so maybe I'll have a crack. And I think I've just been spoiled at work designing things and getting them machined from billet Al (with someone elses money!). I'd love to see what you have done so far! I think DIY jobs are much more interesting that guys just buying all the requisite bits from Procycle (which is great by the way )

Brody
paynebrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #81784
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I will get a gallon of kerosene for my spray bottle to clean and use gear oil for lube as many including you suggest.
I've always been told and still believe that WD40 is mostly kerosene.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #81785
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The most recent/modern bike I remember with a fully enclosed chaincase is the Jawa 350. It also had a Jikov carb, required you to mix the gas/oil mix, and the 2 smoke engine could be persuaded to run backwards if it backfired while starting.

Personally, I don't miss those days at all.
Bultaco too had enclosed chains on their offroad bikes in the 70's.

I had an old Bultaco that I learned about the backfire on. I rode it to my friends house and his little brother is jumping up and down yelling "do a burnout!". I revved it to the moon a couple times and it backfired once and I dumped the clutch and it took off backwards and tossed my butt on the driveway.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Old 09-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #81786
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I would do that on my old YZ125 A when i miss timed the old points ignition . I put it on ATDC instead of BTDC I called it an OUTBURN

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #81787
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynebrody View Post
Hi Dave,

Yeah I've done a bit of welding in the past but for some reason just don't like it as a primary construction technique. Seems like things usually break 'at the weld'. I have a cheapo Cigweld stick welder so maybe I'll have a crack. And I think I've just been spoiled at work designing things and getting them machined from billet Al (with someone elses money!). I'd love to see what you have done so far! I think DIY jobs are much more interesting that guys just buying all the requisite bits from Procycle (which is great by the way )

Brody
Well, OK then.

So I designed the rear rack with 5/8" around the outside, and 1/2" tubing for the centers. I designed the rack for a specific size and a box I have. The thing I didn't design for was the DR650's attachment points (I was just in a work & get it done mode ... not a measuring and calculating mode, lol) - at the moment the center stays are spaced a bit wonky for the DR without making a supporting bracket, but then I'd have to design some support for any rack anyway. At this point it more about the lack of time I have. I also need to decide what to do with the ends. I may curve them up, or spin it around and bend them down and in - just so they won't be protruding, and that it will be an easy transition for my leg if I start falling off the back of the saddle in some feat of misjudgment.

The smaller hoop is going to be one side of the pannier racks. I'll attach a picture of the first rack I ever built so you get an idea of it and that I can weld on tie-down loops.

The junk bike I bought to practice my first rack on:

[IMG][URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/mctrip01feb2012037.jpg/]

their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #81788
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I've always been told and still believe that WD40 is mostly kerosene.
According to the MSDS (from the Wiki)

thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #81789
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,707
What's the current prescription for removing that monster decal from the stock tank?
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #81790
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Bultaco too had enclosed chains on their offroad bikes in the 70's.

I had an old Bultaco that I learned about the backfire on. I rode it to my friends house and his little brother is jumping up and down yelling "do a burnout!". I revved it to the moon a couple times and it backfired once and I dumped the clutch and it took off backwards and tossed my butt on the driveway.
Right, my old Bultaco Matador had one of those chain cases.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #81791
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
According to the MSDS (from the Wiki)

The internet strikes again. I could've done that I guess.
Now what other falsehoods do I have in my memory?
Old 09-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #81792
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Nope. This is a done deal. Both parties are moving on to new things.

I just spent half of the day today with the Wolfman folks. We talked quite a bit about their decision to get out of the metal business. As you might imagine this affects ProCycle in a big way. Not to worry, there will be other options and different solutions.
that's a bummer. always amazed how people can just up and walk away from a hot biz.
i'm sure there is plenty more to the story. even an outsource of production can keep things going but if you're done, you're done.

well then i'm sure Tom would love to supply you all the DR racks you need.
http://www.moto-racks.com/DR650-buy-page.html
while Wolfman will still supply the luggage.

i know that Tom's design is preferred by some as it moves the bags more forward and closer to the center of gravity of the bike.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 11:27 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #81793
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
I don't believe it is fused. There are only three fuses on the whole system. 30amp main, 10amp low beam, 10amp high beam.
It's pretty small wire, would be okay for a GPS hook up (5v) but personally I couldn't see putting a Cig lighter on that wire. Might be fine though, I'm sure an expert will chime in and let us know.
You are right, not fused. I put a 5amp fuse on mine. I put a cig plug on it just so it was easier to use my gps and phone charger. I would not try running heated grips or jacket on it.

Nice thing about it is it is switched. Don't have to worry about leaving something on draining the battery.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #81794
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
You are right, not fused. I put a 5amp fuse on mine. I put a cig plug on it just so it was easier to use my gps and phone charger. I would not try running heated grips or jacket on it.

Nice thing about it is it is switched. Don't have to worry about leaving something on draining the battery.
I don't know if it's fused or not ... but based on how the Japanese do things ... I'm guessing it would be fused ... if I could read wiring diagrams ...I could help.

I've used the little brown pair to run my heated grips since 2006. No problems so far. () No problem adding a fuse though if you like. My grips draw only about 2.5 amps on HIGH. I would NOT run my 77 Watt Gerbing.

Maybe someone can remind me why Suzuki put that wire pair there in the first place? IIRC, something to do with the FreeWind model ... there are LOTS of extra wires on our DR's for the NON USA FreeWind.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #81795
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
What's the current prescription for removing that monster decal from the stock tank?
You replacing with a red bull one?
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surfboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote