Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #81781
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if we could go back to fully enclosed chains, perhaps running through an oil bath sump? Kind of reminds me of the "advance" we made in fork design by getting rid of the accordion boots on most bikes. Fork seals RIP.
The most recent/modern bike I remember with a fully enclosed chaincase is the Jawa 350. It also had a Jikov carb, required you to mix the gas/oil mix, and the 2 smoke engine could be persuaded to run backwards if it backfired while starting.

Personally, I don't miss those days at all.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #81782
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
if you're on the fence with a wolfman system
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922096
no word if briggs is still selling them direct after the fact.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #81783
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if we could go back to fully enclosed chains, perhaps running through an oil bath sump?
Something like that would require going back to having only 4 inches of travel. I definitely would not take that trade off.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #81784
175grams
Guatemala Moto Guide

Oddometer: 183
Quick wiring question about my '01 DR650. I've heard a lot of people mention a spare lead behind the headlight cowl that can be used for a 12V outlet. Do I need to add an inline fuse to that lead or is it already protected?

Thanks.
175grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #81785
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
no word if briggs is still selling them direct after the fact.
Nope. This is a done deal. Both parties are moving on to new things.

I just spent half of the day today with the Wolfman folks. We talked quite a bit about their decision to get out of the metal business. As you might imagine this affects ProCycle in a big way. Not to worry, there will be other options and different solutions.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #81786
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,255
Crap, that's bad news. My Wolfman sideracks are a real quality product.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #81787
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
I've got the Wolfman Expeditions attached with universal rings to my DirtRacks side racks. No regrets at all. Racks are A1 and got them and the rear rack for $120 on ebay from DirtRacks. I felt this was a better option right off the bat rather than buying Wolfman's side racks. Again... very happy and no regrets at all!!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #81788
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by 175grams View Post
Quick wiring question about my '01 DR650. I've heard a lot of people mention a spare lead behind the headlight cowl that can be used for a 12V outlet. Do I need to add an inline fuse to that lead or is it already protected?

Thanks.
I don't believe it is fused. There are only three fuses on the whole system. 30amp main, 10amp low beam, 10amp high beam.
It is only on with IGN on.
It's pretty small wire, would be okay for a GPS hook up (5v) but personally I couldn't see putting a Cig lighter on that wire. Might be fine though, I'm sure an expert will chime in and let us know.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #81789
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Steve View Post
If you're talking about the turn signal dash indicators, then thats how I did mine.
Two LED's will fit inside the hole in the dash. I used some super bright white ones that can't be missed even in bright daylight. They are a bit bright at night though.
I leave my signals on so much I actually made a dashboard and wired a turn signal in it. Now I have a turn signal for my turn signal warning light! It's about 2inches by one inch!
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #81790
paynebrody
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Brody, I am welding.

A couple of years ago I decided to fulfill my wish to learn to weld, so I bought a Lincoln Mig with a tank of shielding gas, 5/8" tubing, and a 5/8" tubing hand-bender.

I could take pictures of what I've finished thus far, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.

You already are more of an expert than I with metals and CNC'ing, so I suggest you get yourself a lower cost welder and have at it. between the CNC and the welding you could make some great designs and attachment points I'd guess.
Hi Dave,

Yeah I've done a bit of welding in the past but for some reason just don't like it as a primary construction technique. Seems like things usually break 'at the weld'. I have a cheapo Cigweld stick welder so maybe I'll have a crack. And I think I've just been spoiled at work designing things and getting them machined from billet Al (with someone elses money!). I'd love to see what you have done so far! I think DIY jobs are much more interesting that guys just buying all the requisite bits from Procycle (which is great by the way )

Brody
paynebrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #81791
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I will get a gallon of kerosene for my spray bottle to clean and use gear oil for lube as many including you suggest.
I've always been told and still believe that WD40 is mostly kerosene.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #81792
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The most recent/modern bike I remember with a fully enclosed chaincase is the Jawa 350. It also had a Jikov carb, required you to mix the gas/oil mix, and the 2 smoke engine could be persuaded to run backwards if it backfired while starting.

Personally, I don't miss those days at all.
Bultaco too had enclosed chains on their offroad bikes in the 70's.

I had an old Bultaco that I learned about the backfire on. I rode it to my friends house and his little brother is jumping up and down yelling "do a burnout!". I revved it to the moon a couple times and it backfired once and I dumped the clutch and it took off backwards and tossed my butt on the driveway.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #81793
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I would do that on my old YZ125 A when i miss timed the old points ignition . I put it on ATDC instead of BTDC I called it an OUTBURN

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #81794
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynebrody View Post
Hi Dave,

Yeah I've done a bit of welding in the past but for some reason just don't like it as a primary construction technique. Seems like things usually break 'at the weld'. I have a cheapo Cigweld stick welder so maybe I'll have a crack. And I think I've just been spoiled at work designing things and getting them machined from billet Al (with someone elses money!). I'd love to see what you have done so far! I think DIY jobs are much more interesting that guys just buying all the requisite bits from Procycle (which is great by the way )

Brody
Well, OK then.

So I designed the rear rack with 5/8" around the outside, and 1/2" tubing for the centers. I designed the rack for a specific size and a box I have. The thing I didn't design for was the DR650's attachment points (I was just in a work & get it done mode ... not a measuring and calculating mode, lol) - at the moment the center stays are spaced a bit wonky for the DR without making a supporting bracket, but then I'd have to design some support for any rack anyway. At this point it more about the lack of time I have. I also need to decide what to do with the ends. I may curve them up, or spin it around and bend them down and in - just so they won't be protruding, and that it will be an easy transition for my leg if I start falling off the back of the saddle in some feat of misjudgment.

The smaller hoop is going to be one side of the pannier racks. I'll attach a picture of the first rack I ever built so you get an idea of it and that I can weld on tie-down loops.

The junk bike I bought to practice my first rack on:

[IMG][URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/mctrip01feb2012037.jpg/]

their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #81795
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I've always been told and still believe that WD40 is mostly kerosene.
According to the MSDS (from the Wiki)

thump! is offline   Reply With Quote