Old 10-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #8266
duckmanjoel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty52
Hey all,
Lurking around for awhile, and have been really impressed with the passion, and knowledge here. So I'm asking if I can pick your brains.
I'm 6'1" 220lbs. I'll be riding 80% street 20% gravel/fire roads. I live in New England now but I'm moving back to Oregon in 18 months. I plan to ride the secondary roads from MA to OR, so I don't need a highway driver. All things considered(money to spend, quality, reliability and serviceability and she looks mighty damn cute) is the DR650 the bike that will fill the bill? I understand changing out the tires will be the first thing to do. Any and all suggestions and comments will be taken in stride.
Thanks in advance for your time...
Changing out the tires isn't really necessary since the stock tires are 80/20 tires. Go ahead and run 'em. You'll want a wind screen (check out the parabellum site) and a new seat. I just got the corbin in black TODAY and it looks and feels fantastic. It took me 5 minutes to take off the old seat; 5 min to put on the new corbin; and 5 min to take the new corbin off and then put it back on because I'm a perfectionist and wanted to make sure I had it right. I did. It just seemed too easy. My DR is yellow and now looks awesome with the new black corbin. The real test will come Sat when I take her for a long ride.
The DR 650 runs fine up to about 70mph then the comfort level starts to go down. Kinda like my firebird runs 90mph and I feel like I'm just cruising slowly along. Yet my truck at 70mph feels fast enough. But the firebird can't cross over a RR over 2 mph.
Anyway, you get the drift. I'm 5'10'' 180lbs and carry passengers (+120lbs)going 70mph so I don't think you're too big. My brother is your size and he has the 350 (he only paid $300 for it I think, looks like crap but still runs) and he goes all over on it.
Based on my memory of this site, you should be able to get a new DR 650 out the door for about $4900 maybe get em to throw in a helmet. Add a corbin seat for $300 (sporttour) and a couple more for a windshield and you are ready to go.
I use a back pack I already had for carrying stuff and have a cup holder on the bars.
duckmanjoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:31 PM   #8267
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Caribou top case

Just got a Caribou 1550 case mounted tonight. The rear rack is one of those BBQ racks from e-bay. Four drilled holes and four 5/16-18 HHCS w/fender washers inside the case and lock washers and nuts on the bottom. I put an old piece of indoor-outdoor carpet on the inside of the case and stuck it down with some velcro. Removal: 5 minutes, tops. This thing is rock solid on the rack. That thing ain't goin nowhere. Holds alot of stuff and locks, too!

Thought you all might be interested.

Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #8268
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,996
An alternative to Dr Rock's bike crutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

I got the idea to make some kind of brace to stabilize the non-kickstand side.
I considered buying the bike krutch, but I anticipated someone would walk with it, and that's $32 + shipping down the tubes. So I found some scrap aluminum stock molding in the basement of our building, took some measurements, and created this:

The aluminum stock is about 2.5 inches wide, and sort of C-shaped. It was cut 18+ inches long. The bolt is 1/2 inch from the top, and about 1.5+ inches long. It fits into the hole around which the brake lever pivots.

When I'm riding, it easily fits in the top-case. It was field tested over the last week, and the bike stayed up during 34 mile/hr gusts, with the cover on .

I was on the list for a Dual-star centerstand... but not anymore. This is way more stable.

So I present to you: "The Alternate-side Parking Stand". If you park in NYC, you'll understand the name. Cheers.
Note: Some of Dr. Rock's original text has been omitted.

Rummaging through the attic I found a long forgotten set of aluminum crutches.
After a second look I got the idea that the center post of one of these crutches would make a rather nice bike crutch on soft ground while camping.

I drilled out the holes so they fit the eye bolt of a small turn buckle.
I removed one bolt from the turn buckle.
Wrapped the turn buckle with electrical tape creating friction.
Inserted it into the end of the right hand foot peg simultaneously levering the footpeg in the "up" position.
The pressure of the peg's spring secures it.
Added securement can be obtained by stretching a bungee to the passenger peg.

The pressure of the spring on the foot peg secures the crutch.
Attached Images

Plug and Plug.

Old_Lion screwed with this post 10-26-2007 at 06:54 PM
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:47 PM   #8269
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty52
Hey all,
Lurking around for awhile, and have been really impressed with the passion, and knowledge here. So I'm asking if I can pick your brains.
I'm 6'1" 220lbs. I'll be riding 80% street 20% gravel/fire roads. I live in New England now but I'm moving back to Oregon in 18 months. I plan to ride the secondary roads from MA to OR, so I don't need a highway driver. All things considered(money to spend, quality, reliability and serviceability and she looks mighty damn cute) is the DR650 the bike that will fill the bill? I understand changing out the tires will be the first thing to do. Any and all suggestions and comments will be taken in stride.
Thanks in advance for your time...
beside of what have been said or recommended to u add also ,extra tools ,front & rear inner tubes ,tire irons ,check ur front sprockets must be the 15T size if u r doing mostly streets ,add 12v outlet ,always carry electric air pump (u can buy it from Walmart) ,small Batt. charger , when i travel long distances i always carry box of junks meaning some bolts & nuts, washers stuff like that can come handy in the least expected moments & J.B. weld glue ,G.P.S. 4 me is a mendatory item ... hope all this would help ...
DR650SEDDY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:27 PM   #8270
DRinda505
I'm right behind you.

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion
Chatting with a friend the topic of winter storage came up.

He related that a friend of his had rodents finding their way into the engine via the exhaust and an open valve during the winter a few years ago.

Starting the bike in the spring his friend's bike threw a rod.

I told him that I always cover my exhaust with a mushroom fashioned from aluminum foil because with an operating livestock farm nearby there is no shortage of mice.

If you forget it is there on start up it spits right out.

My .02.
If you forget to check for mice it spits it right out also, and they (mice) are softer on engine parts than Al foil.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:23 PM   #8271
garymonster
Banned

Oddometer: 195
That is a beautiful bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackator
Too bad you are in another country or we could test your theory head to head......your black one against my blue one

Wow.
garymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:59 PM   #8272
Kennif
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Panniers

My apologies if this has already been thrashed out before - if so - please point me to the thread.
I need some kind of rack either to keep my soft pannier bags away from the sides of the DR or a rack to put some kind of hard side-luggage in. I went for a week-long ride the other day and overpacked my panniers. The result was that the weight of the panniers pushed the side cover against the exhaust so the side cover melted! Bugger!
Any thoughts appreciated. Especially polite and helpful ones.
Kennif.
Kennif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:10 AM   #8273
Pickled Amnesiac
ex Fishbulb....

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennif
My apologies if this has already been thrashed out before - if so - please point me to the thread.
I need some kind of rack either to keep my soft pannier bags away from the sides of the DR or a rack to put some kind of hard side-luggage in. I went for a week-long ride the other day and overpacked my panniers. The result was that the weight of the panniers pushed the side cover against the exhaust so the side cover melted! Bugger!
Any thoughts appreciated. Especially polite and helpful ones.
Kennif.
heres the pennytech option... they do fine for holding soft panniers off the exhaust... even fully loaded.

another view.... not my blood either.

cheers fish
Old 10-26-2007, 06:27 AM   #8274
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,663
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamodu-fishbulb
heres the pennytech option... they do fine for holding soft panniers off the exhaust... even fully loaded.

cheers fish
looks like my garage floor after I've been wrenching...
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #8275
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,796
Quote:

After a second look I got the idea that the center post of one of these crutches would miake a rather nice bike crutch on soft ground while camping.

Inserted it into the end of the right hand foot peg simultaneously levering the footpeg in the "up" position.

Do these crutches get the wheels off the ground if you have a flat? It seems like lot of wrestling goes on even when I change out a tire at home when its time to put the wheel back on. its easy on my KTM's ive had and a pain on the DR. the front wheel would be some kind of trick with just a crutch I would think. I just put on a dual-star centerstand a inmate was selling fairly cheap and I think for a long trip it could be handy. Although the DR is going to end up weighing as much as a KLR with all these racks and stands and luggage and stuff. but I dont plan on carrying it so thats ok. I like the simplicity of the crutch idea, never tried using one.
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #8276
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Alternative bike crutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Do these crutches get the wheels off the ground if you have a flat?
You lit my wick. Crutches come in pairs. If the other centerpost was levered into the left peg I can imagine the bike being in a stable position.
I will have to experiment.

N.B. The penny tech option of holding off soft bags by jamodu-fishbulb in post number 8329

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5563381&postcount=8329

expands the horizon for transporting and using two crutches like the one shown in my previous post.
I do not want to sacrifice the rubber foot on the crutch.

I will have to figure out how to mount these crutches to the passenger pegs with rubber foot still attached and slant them up to my Ebay Barbecue rack similar to the penny tech mod shown in jamodu-fishbulb's post.

Plug and Plug.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #8277
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Holding soft panniers off the exhaust...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamodu-fishbulb

cheers fish
Fish, how do you have these tubes attached?
Is that Exhaust Insulating Tape at the top of the tube shown in this picture?

Plug and Plug.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #8278
Pickled Amnesiac
ex Fishbulb....

Oddometer: 1,251
Wicked

Quote:
Fish, how do you have these tubes attached?
Is that Exhaust Insulating Tape at the top of the tube shown in this picture?
the tubes are attached with hose clamps. im going to replace them with u clamps one day but so far theyve done 20k with no dramas.... the tape was there to protect the back of the pannier from the end of the tube.. it fell off 5 minutes later... the tube hasnt rubbed the pannier yet... so i figure it prolly wont... let me know if you want pics...
Old 10-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #8279
Dirty Harry
Coffee Addict

Oddometer: 373
Quote:

After a second look I got the idea that the center post of one of these crutches would miake a rather nice bike crutch on soft ground while camping.

I like the idea of this, except I want to get the rear tire off the ground for chain maintenance... Or am I not seing those pictures correctly?

Im sure someone has done it, just like that, but long enough to securly get the rear wheel up. I'm trying to adapt a piece of 1.5'' pvc with a notch to prop under the frame, but aluminum seems more durrable.

dh
2001 DR650 -sold
2005 DR650 -

DR's do it in the dirt...
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #8280
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,933
Laugh

One day i'm going to compete on a old DR650 (I'd be on quite a tight budget) in the Dakar Rally i have been inspired by this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1h-4WRhpGg
and i just found out that someone did it on a vespa back in the day.
I reckon all you need is a good group o mates as your team a DR650se with your basic suspension, exhaust, jetting mods and skid plate pluss some extra fuel and water tanks. I mean there are so many inmates on this forum with bike more than capable to go the distance.

The problem all these fancy and expensive bikes that compete at the moment is the riders, there all wack jobs who go to fast which then causes there bikes to fall apart then they have to stay up and fix it instead of getting some sleep so that when they start the stage the next day there to K.O to ride properly which in turn causes them to fall of and damage the bike again, its a vicious circle.

Now if they where like me (a wimp who is to scared to go fast of road)
they would keep good consistent times and finish race without a problem.

Look lads and lasses I've got it all worked out, so who's with me lets flood the rally with DR's and incopitant riders just imagen the piss up in the local after finishing that ride.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote